Paul

AOL

#821 Nov 20, 2012
Giantone wrote:Shaw's in Manchester Vermont is packed!

Is that the only supermarket in town?
Paul

AOL

#822 Nov 20, 2012
Mediation between Hostess and its union failed.I guess Twinkies will live on with another owner. I'm thinking the unions would prefer no job,to a somewhat steady one.
Frank

Bronx, NY

#823 Nov 20, 2012
Supermarket Wars tonight 9pm NECN
Paul

AOL

#824 Nov 21, 2012
I show "The Only News" a 9pm.Is it only a segment?
fred

Boston, MA

#825 Nov 22, 2012
looks like NO SALE at shaws they want too much for stores looks like if they dont lower prices and add help chapter 11 is on the way been tears nad they wont address the problem listen up sales it is the prices wake up it does not take 5 years to lower the prices to compete
Mike M

AOL

#826 Nov 22, 2012
Work at a shaws and my wife is a vendor.While making a delivery at a hannaford the receiver told her that UPS delivered a package from Krogers.Another Vendor heard the same thing at another Hannaford. Hannaford has an inventory reduction in place targeting the end of the year to reduce store inventory by a third. U figure it out.
Mike M

AOL

#827 Nov 22, 2012
Also heard that Shaws is planning to eliminate f.t positions.Guessing they would have to make dept.Managers Salaried positions. The restructuring of TOPPS time is starting to make sense.
Why pay a F.T $15-$20 when they can hire 2-3 people for the same money.
watson

Wolfeboro, NH

#828 Nov 22, 2012
The leadership at Supervalu is a joke ... Every BOSS there is afraid to tell the big guy the truth ,,,which he already knows ... what a joke ...this new guy will be the laughing stock of the supermarket world [ along with a 5-10 million dollar pay day !

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#829 Nov 23, 2012
Paul wrote:
Giantone wrote:Shaw's in Manchester Vermont is packed!
Is that the only supermarket in town?
No, there is a price chopper down the street.Which wasn't half as crowed.
maggie

Worcester, MA

#830 Nov 23, 2012
I worked for them 20 yrs. went in Friday morming at 5 a.m. on nov. 4th and was told at 8 AM that morning that I was laidoff. Thet had a env. ready with all my pay and paperwork right there in cash. Sad to say a very poor way to end a career.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#831 Nov 24, 2012
Paul wrote:
Mediation between Hostess and its union failed.I guess Twinkies will live on with another owner. I'm thinking the unions would prefer no job,to a somewhat steady one.
Management is that bad,they believe they could'nt live on what was offerd,new management will work with the same Unions.
mike m

Conway, NH

#832 Nov 24, 2012
Shaws has been in a downward trend for years.Lost sales = labor cuts.Until they start increasing sales they will continue to lay-off employees until they shut the doors.Sick of hearing how they need to budget money for price cuts.Get rid of the card and make the company an everyday low instead of a high/low.Customers come in and cherry pick on items we lose money on or make a small margin on.Not rocket science!
Paul

AOL

#833 Nov 24, 2012
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand when Shaws is charging .50-$1.00 more for every item in the store,people will only buy the "deals".And those deals largely are near MB's regular pricing.I have noticed that certain items that used to be $1.00 on sale (10 for 10) cake mixes,frosting,soups,brownies. ...etc have gone to $1.25-1.50 each on sale.Inflation or not,Shaws is jacking prices even higher,thats usually the sign of a business that needs greater margins to make quick money.Funny thing is,it also chases off the buyer and sales suffer.
fred

Boston, MA

#834 Nov 25, 2012
no excuses for shaws POOR management from store managers on up they are afraid to tell their bosses that it is the high prices , no help to get the job done ,some LAZY dept. mgrs. and poor ads too late seems to be the norm
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#835 Nov 25, 2012
fred wrote:
no excuses for shaws POOR management from store managers on up they are afraid to tell their bosses that it is the high prices , no help to get the job done ,some LAZY dept. mgrs. and poor ads too late seems to be the norm
I couldn't agree more. Management top to bottom is awful. They don't want to manage people or work in their departments!. I can't imagine this company could survive much longer.
Paul

Hancocks Bridge, NJ

#836 Nov 25, 2012
Tilton shaws near empty this morning.Nice quiet shopping environment though...New trainee on the register..very green.Probably making the shelf stockers do everything.
Mike M

North Conway, NH

#837 Nov 25, 2012
Tim Do wrote:
<quoted text> I couldn't agree more. Management top to bottom is awful. They don't want to manage people or work in their departments!. I can't imagine this company could survive much longer.
I've been with shaws for 25 years and most of my store managers that I have worked for understand that pricing is the biggest problem.They are mostly guilty of not holding people accountable for their work.Most of the department heads feel some entitlement and don't want to work.
Shaws has taken all the thinking out of being a manager.They tell u what is on sale,where it goes and how much is coming in.How many hours you can schedule.They have made it so any idiot can be a manager.
robert

Milford, MA

#838 Nov 25, 2012
look I'm a dept. head. I agree with some of Mike's statement
Shaws has taken all the thinking out of being a manager.They tell u what is on sale,where it goes and how much is coming in.How many hours you can schedule
(sorry won't agree with the idiot part)
I've tried to do extra things or maybe shift some things around because some items don't move as well in my store and all I get told by upper management is that that is not what they want, follow the plans and production planner.
After the last round of layoffs and pay freeze and loss of some tops time, my store manager doesn't care. It shows, his attitude seems they want to sink this ship then follow their rules and let it go down.
Supervalu needs to either sell us or fire all their upper management (yes mean). They still need some sort of money infusion to keep it going but either way something has to give.
Paul

AOL

#839 Nov 25, 2012
Any more word on Kroger and Hannaford? That would be intesting,Hannaford bought out and not Shaws.lol
cereal195

Thompson, CT

#840 Nov 25, 2012
I worked for Shaws for 17 years getting axed in these last round of layoffs. I have a lot of respect for you managers that still take pride in your job, how your doing it with the help you have left I dont know.Hopefully for all of you that are left someone will come in and buy the company get rid of the Shaws name but I dont know it may be too little too late

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Four N.C.-based supermarket chains rank among n... Apr 13 wittlecher 1
News Marsh shakes up management, closes stores (Feb '06) Apr 10 Sayso 3
News Target Bouncing Back From Security Breach Apr 5 Future Shop 1
News 2.2 earthquake reported near Steele, MO Apr 2 Sam 1
News Whole Foods joins grocers recalling pistachios (Apr '09) Apr 1 Texas_Ave 3
News Whole Foods Florida Hosting Best Butcher and Fi... (May '13) Mar '15 1 Lake Edge 6
News Loss of Big Y contract means layoffs at C&S (Oct '08) Mar '15 Koch Bro of Food 56
More from around the web