Kroger Buying Shaw's?
watson

Center Barnstead, NH

#740 Oct 13, 2012
once KK&R bought S&S one of the earlier things they did was to gut the pensions that came with the company [you are supposed to buy the good and bad parts when you buy ]
My father had passed on by this time and my mother received a letter that said " Dear Mrs. ZZZZZ remember when your husband retired as V.P. of S & S
and we promised to pay his blue cross coverage for the rest of your lives? well we have decided we don't want to .
So starting next month you no longer have any medical coverage excpet what medicare will provide you ..they just tore up the old contract and simply said " F.U. "
apparently they can do such a thing even though we had it in writing that they would pay for B.C. for the rest of both their lives.. scum ...
will

Portland, ME

#741 Oct 13, 2012
SVU is now languishing below $2 a share in advance of next Thursday's Q2 conference call; this is the first one with Wayne Sales at the helm. There was no honeymoon between SVU's new CEO and investors, and now that goes double. No dramatic announcements are expected; it will be interesting just the same to see to what extent comps and operating results continue to deteriorate. Will pulling specifics out of Sales be like pulling teeth as it was with Herkert? The Daily Deals promo was rolled out far too late for any impact to show in the Q2 numbers. Putting lipstick on this pig is no mean feat for Sales. It's not surprising that staffing is being cut; SVU of course knows what the quarter will look like ahead of time. Not an encouraging sign.
robert

Blackstone, MA

#742 Oct 14, 2012
We just so the results for period 8 and I don't know what SVU was thinking when they made the budget.
The labor budget was cut by more than 8 points and at the same time they raised the sales budget a couple of thousand dollars.
When I compare it to last year and this year its not even close.
Yet my store manager wants to keep sending out the help but go for sales and get your CES scores up!
Yep

Auburn, NH

#743 Oct 14, 2012
Maybe some news coming Monday.
watson

Center Barnstead, NH

#744 Oct 14, 2012
And so ,,,,they continue to shoot themselves in the foot...just cause you have a new boss, he trained under the old boss,,,you expect different results???
It is gonna take a major crisis to resolve this ,,and no matter what it won't be pretty for SVU as they refuse to deal with the peroblems ,,just kick the can down the street..this is kinda like driving past a car accident ..everyone slows down to watch ,even though they know what they are gonna see will be gruesome !!
Nightstocker

Baltimore, MD

#745 Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, the problem is cutting staff and not cutting mgmt. Dont need 4 mgrs. In a store doing $300k a week. And u dont need more than 2mgrs. On sunday at time and a half. The biggest issue is cutting the groc. Dept. Budget which is doing 40% of your sales to make up for deli and bakery depts. Which account 2% of store sales.
Not very smart.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#746 Oct 17, 2012
watson wrote:
once KK&R bought S&S one of the earlier things they did was to gut the pensions that came with the company [you are supposed to buy the good and bad parts when you buy ]
My father had passed on by this time and my mother received a letter that said " Dear Mrs. ZZZZZ remember when your husband retired as V.P. of S & S
and we promised to pay his blue cross coverage for the rest of your lives? well we have decided we don't want to .
So starting next month you no longer have any medical coverage excpet what medicare will provide you ..they just tore up the old contract and simply said " F.U. "
apparently they can do such a thing even though we had it in writing that they would pay for B.C. for the rest of both their lives.. scum ...
Just a note but ,my fathers company did just that to my mom about my Dads insurance and she sued , and won.
Gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#747 Oct 17, 2012
Meet the new boss... same as the old boss.....Won't get fooled again! Great song but we will see the numbers tomorrow.Wayne Sales is not the solution to this fiasco.
will

Portland, ME

#748 Oct 17, 2012
Well, whaddya know - SVU stock is up sharply now that Kroger has announced plans to accelerate growth. I still doubt that KR would be interested in Shaw's. Some think that Cerberus (which owns the "other" Albertsons) would buy the whole thing and sell off the parts they don't want.
Nightstocker

Baltimore, MD

#749 Oct 18, 2012
Ahold is reportedly in serious negotiations to acquire all of Shoppers stores to increase their ability to compete against Walmart on the east coast in the grocery business.
will

Portland, ME

#750 Oct 18, 2012
To absolutely no one's surprise SVU is still losing money, and same store sales at both the traditional banners and Save-A-Lot continue to slide. Sales has indicated that he's rethinking price investments despite some encouraging results at Jewel-Osco (translation: no more price cuts, not with these losses.)

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financi...

Stockbridge Mass

#751 Oct 18, 2012
Nightstocker wrote:
Ahold is reportedly in serious negotiations to acquire all of Shoppers stores to increase their ability to compete against Walmart on the east coast in the grocery business.
Nope. Ahold only interested in about 15-20 stores in the DC,MD,VA area.
Nightstocker

Richmond, VA

#752 Oct 18, 2012
Giantone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Ahold only interested in about 15-20 stores in the DC,MD,VA area.
That was before they got an anonymous ok from a top government official privy to monopolization cases. Now they have a great opportunity to acquire 56 lean stores while simultaneously increasing their market share.

Stockbridge Mass

#753 Oct 19, 2012
Nightstocker wrote:
<quoted text>
That was before they got an anonymous ok from a top government official privy to monopolization cases. Now they have a great opportunity to acquire 56 lean stores while simultaneously increasing their market share.
LOL....ahhh no.The stores are already in their market they would have to shutter a whoke boat load of them,sorry....15-20 ....maybe.
union man

Farmingdale, NY

#754 Oct 19, 2012
Gonna enjoy watching hannaford go down. I will shop everyday and bask in the fretful faces of those who foolishly hired with preference for family and friends. It will be like watching a bunch of bad little kids being caught on video engaging in incest...especially the Maine stores. Kroger should relocate workers from other states. Don't trust existing workers who were born local, especially in Maine! Pine Tree State is so full of sneaks, liars, saboteurs, and crooks that even Bank of America is pulling out of the state.
will

Portland, ME

#755 Oct 19, 2012
Hannaford isn't going anywhere, but their obstructionism regarding Market Basket in Bedford and North Conway is earning them a boatload of bad publicity, and for good reason. BofA is unloading branches in relatively poor, more rural areas of the state, a wise strategy from a financial viewpoint, even if that exposes them to charges of redlining.
Nightstocker

Baltimore, MD

#756 Oct 19, 2012
Giantone wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL....ahhh no.The stores are already in their market they would have to shutter a whoke boat load of them,sorry....15-20 ....maybe.
market share was referring to the VA.MD.DC. area. Those 56 stores would definitely help offset the SUPERWALMART AFFECT. Increasing market share in that region, which is the richest in the country,definitely wouldnt hurt.
But like you said Never know.
Would appreiate it if you keep me up to speed if you hear anything concrete. I will do the same.

Stockbridge Mass

#757 Oct 19, 2012
Nightstocker wrote:
<quoted text>
market share was referring to the VA.MD.DC. area. Those 56 stores would definitely help offset the SUPERWALMART AFFECT. Increasing market share in that region, which is the richest in the country,definitely wouldnt hurt.
But like you said Never know.
Would appreiate it if you keep me up to speed if you hear anything concrete. I will do the same.
Really isn't a big "Super walmart efect" going on here,yes there are a few but most counties are banning the large Super Walmarts and alowing the smaller one.Bigger competitor is Wegmans ,Whole Foods and harris teeters.
will

Portland, ME

#758 Oct 24, 2012
Looks more and more like Cerberus is going to take the whole thing, contingent on shareholder approval and Cerberus being able to raise the money for an LBO. Supervalu could still hold out for a higher price by selling itself off piece by piece, but with the continual loss of market share that's becoming a riskier strategy by the day. Ahold mentioned in the linked story as being interested in Shoppers. Stay tuned...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/24/sup...
watson

Center Barnstead, NH

#759 Oct 25, 2012
Now THAT was the MOST interesting thing I have read here in 2 years !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds sue Publix over dreadlocks ban Oct 8 canstacker 1
News Layoffs coming at Shaw's supermarkets: Chain to... (Nov '12) Sep 25 Stephen D Clark 7
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... Sep 19 a_visitor 5
Who does the shopping in your house? Do you? ... Sep '17 Sonja 1
News Ingles Markets, Incorporated (IMKTA) Reaches Ne... Aug '17 justwondering 1
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Aug '17 Helen George 29
News That chicken from Whole Foods isn't so special ... Aug '17 hier is a liar 1
More from around the web