Hannaford emp

Marlborough, MA

#719 Sep 11, 2012
Is hannaford up for sale
watson

Center Barnstead, NH

#720 Sep 11, 2012
where did that question come from? this post has been primarily about shaws and that pops up out of the blue ???

There is no real reason you can't ask that question: this is probably the most informed group about what is going on in the wonderful world of food on the internet..
Where did you hear that or is it just a question you thought up ?
Hannafords makes money by the truck load it seems like an odd question to ask in the midst of a bankrupt supermarket

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#721 Sep 13, 2012
Hannaford emp wrote:
Is hannaford up for sale
If the price is right anything is for sale but as of right now,no!
will

Gray, ME

#722 Sep 15, 2012
Delhaize just eased out CEO Ron Hodge, who started at Hannaford Bros. 33 years ago and engineered the sale to the Belgian Behemoth after their ill-fated expansion in the South made them vulnerable to a takeover. Formally, he was allowed to "retire," but reading between the lines it's pretty clear Brussels was unhappy with his recent performance. Consider the evidence: Food Lion exited Florida, Bloom was shuttered, Bottom Dollar is a money pit, and Hannaford, by far Delhaize's strongest banner, is taking it on the chin in Albany (ShopRite) and Manchester (Market Basket.) Brussels is installing a turnaround guy with some food service background (Wendy's/Arby's) but no grocery experience; we'll see how that goes. Nonetheless, I seriously doubt Delhaize is about to part with its prize asset.
watson

Center Barnstead, NH

#723 Sep 15, 2012
well stated ,Will !
will

Gray, ME

#724 Sep 16, 2012
Shaw's shoots itself in the foot again with another poorly-executed promotion. In theory, the Daily Deals promo encouraging shoppers to visit the store more often makes sense, but when you design it in such a way that hoarders quickly deplete store stock you stand to lose more shoppers than you gain.
Gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#725 Sep 16, 2012
My stores supply of brawny/northern lasted for my 9 hour shift on saturday. No extra sales gained just cherrypickers feasting on a marketing strategy that once again failed.Prices are not being lowered at all. Went down the salad dressing aisle and noticed that a bottle of 16oz Kens dressing is now $4.25!! Are you insane? When will the stupidity end?
Lisa

Concord, NH

#726 Sep 16, 2012
will wrote:
Shaw's shoots itself in the foot again with another poorly-executed promotion. In theory, the Daily Deals promo encouraging shoppers to visit the store more often makes sense, but when you design it in such a way that hoarders quickly deplete store stock you stand to lose more shoppers than you gain.
My husband and I shopped at Shaws at about 11am yesterday and there were tons of Northern TP and Brawny. Once again the store was just about empty. I thought there wouldn't be any TP or PT left by the time we got to the store, but nope, plenty of stock on the shelves.

Sadly, no matter what Shaws does, no one seems interested in shopping there except for my husband and me. Every time Shaws has a big promotion I think that we need to get there early on Sat. to make sure we don't have to fight the crowds, but there never are any crowds at Shaws anymore. It's sad.
will

Gray, ME

#727 Sep 17, 2012
From anecdotal evidence here and on various message boards and Shaw's Facebook page the situation varied from store to store based on how busy the store was and what the store had on hand. Some offered substitutions while my local store had a piece of paper attached to the shelf apologizing for being sold out. Some stores never even got a shipment! You'd think there would have been better preparation and coordination between the stores and headquarters regarding this promotion. Hopefully by week two or three they'll get their act together.
will

Gray, ME

#728 Sep 26, 2012
Well, there won't be any more weeks for Daily Deals - it's dead - or at least on hiatus. No Daily Deals for the week beginning 9/28, anyway. From my totally anecdotal observations, week two went much smoother, with no out-of-stocks at my local store.
Lisa

Concord, NH

#729 Sep 27, 2012
will wrote:
Well, there won't be any more weeks for Daily Deals - it's dead - or at least on hiatus. No Daily Deals for the week beginning 9/28, anyway. From my totally anecdotal observations, week two went much smoother, with no out-of-stocks at my local store.
Have they discontinued the program? I thought it was a great program. Sat. I bought 2 boxes of cereal for .99 cents because it was part of the daily deal. And today I picked up 2 jars of Ragu.

I liked the daily deals and what I liked even more were the limits. That way no one could clear the shelves and there was plenty for all shoppers, not just extreme shoppers.
knowledge

Waltham, MA

#730 Sep 28, 2012
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Have they discontinued the program? I thought it was a great program. Sat. I bought 2 boxes of cereal for .99 cents because it was part of the daily deal. And today I picked up 2 jars of Ragu.
I liked the daily deals and what I liked even more were the limits. That way no one could clear the shelves and there was plenty for all shoppers, not just extreme shoppers.
Program is not dead. It will be back with a few modifications. I think everyone will like the changes. Customers as well as associates.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#731 Sep 28, 2012
VERY strong rumors that Ahold has bought Shoppers Food(or wil).
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#732 Sep 28, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
Program is not dead. It will be back with a few modifications. I think everyone will like the changes. Customers as well as associates.
as a customer. I hate the daily deals. Unless I had nothing better to do, I would not want to go into a grocery store every day just to get a good sale price. Once a week is all I am willing to go.
will

Gray, ME

#733 Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for filling us in, knowledge. Something didn't quite add up about killing the promo after only two weeks. Hopefully the lessons learned in week two will be incorporated into the next iteration of Daily Deals. I think Shaw's anticipates that not every shopper will go out of their way to shop their stores daily - increasing top of mind awareness and driving incremental store traffic throughout the week are realistic goals.
will

Gray, ME

#734 Oct 3, 2012
Ron Burkle's Yucaipa Cos.(current owner of what remains of A&P) and KKR (owner of Stop & Shop prior to Ahold) are said to be kicking the tires at Supervalu. As the analysts point out, it's way too soon to make predictions as to how this will play out due to pension liabilities and other factors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-02/supe...

Just to show you how much the marketplace has shifted over time, here's a look back at where things stood at the time of Ahold's Stop & Shop takeover announcement. American Stores by this time had sold Star Market to Investcorp; the disastrous American Stores-Albertsons merger was still a couple of years away.

http://supermarketnews.com/archive/ahold-buy-...
Nightstocker

Baltimore, MD

#735 Oct 3, 2012
Very encouraged to hear that Shoppers may be lucky enough to get away from the most disorganized, destructive company in America today..(SUPERVALU)
Hello GIANT
robert

Milford, MA

#737 Oct 13, 2012
Well over the last couple of weeks the store I'm in has been hiring new part timers. Most of the part timers in my store are working 30 hours or more, plus we did lose a lot who left for college.
Now last weekend comes and they fired all the new hires.
We were told that this comes down from corp. that we are in a hiring freeze and all stores that hired new people had to let them go. Any one else have this problem? Some stores I talked to did let some people go or hadn't hired anyone in awhile.
I've heard this might be because of the possible sale of Shaws to upcoming layoff showing lack of work.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#738 Oct 13, 2012
robert wrote:
Well over the last couple of weeks the store I'm in has been hiring new part timers. Most of the part timers in my store are working 30 hours or more, plus we did lose a lot who left for college.
Now last weekend comes and they fired all the new hires.
We were told that this comes down from corp. that we are in a hiring freeze and all stores that hired new people had to let them go. Any one else have this problem? Some stores I talked to did let some people go or hadn't hired anyone in awhile.
I've heard this might be because of the possible sale of Shaws to upcoming layoff showing lack of work.
We never had the chance to hire anyone. We haven't replaced anyone who left on their own or anyone who has even fired. I don't knw how much more we can all do. It's way beyond anything I ever though it could be. Customer service?, no one to serve customers....
Nightstocker

Baltimore, MD

#739 Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, I agree there. This squeezing of the stone is unbeleivable. In our last contract every store was suppose to hire 5 ft employees for the evening shift as clerks to be able to do everything. The pters that were ft get the first shot. This was in July. It is October now and not 1 has been hired yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Dec 6 Independent1 56
OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... Dec 2 The Hack Checker 3
Sobeys to close 6 grocery stores in Manitoba Nov '14 Eric 4
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '14 TIREDOFIT 91
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Nov '14 adriane 27
Police Arrest Mother With Child for Shoplifting Oct '14 Most Interesting Man 4
Incoming Supervalu CEO Duncan to make $1.5 mill... (Jan '13) Oct '14 fayebryant00 3
More from around the web