Kroger Buying Shaw's?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#699 Jul 24, 2012
Frank wrote:
Craig, 2.05, can you say hostel take over?
The stocks they just gave him, Sherry Smith and other top people will be worth nothing. Stocks (mature in 2 years) supposed to be an incentive to stay for 2 years. I just don't understand that, why would they even think of keeping him for 2 years? Or, could be a tactic to make him resign.
lol rich get richer

Lawrence, MA

#700 Jul 25, 2012
Its call management makeing to many bad decision on priceing. Ive been at the same store For twelve years and 75 percent of customers complain about priceing. This is why i shop at price rite. And i Work at a highend store. Lol oh well . Life goes on
robert

Blackstone, MA

#701 Jul 26, 2012
I've worked at a couple of stores over the supervalu years and have watched the prices go up (to pay off their debt). Some stores near Stop & Shop, Roche Brothers, and Market Basket, All I've ever heard from upper management in ever store is the same thing
"Well we aren't going to compete with Market Baskets low price." "We can't compete with Roche Brothers service." All followed up with "We give them great service and keep the OSAT scores up (sorry now CES scores) they will keep coming here."
Why then on the Customer survey do we ask about how satisfied they are with the prices of the groceries.
The scoring of the new system doesn't count that question as much as it used to in it is scoring.
They have overlooked all the competition in the area, just shy of selling us off now everything they are doing it just to little to late.
Frank

Springfield, NJ

#702 Jul 30, 2012
Hey Craig you wanna be, we win you lose. Try not to let the door hit you on the way out. You have plenty of time now to ride your bike and bake cookies. Your a freak who got called out. Your a complete failure as a CEO. I know you have millions but this time the little guy beat you at your own game. What do you do with the second cookie that you bake and don't eat anyway?
will

Jefferson, ME

#703 Jul 30, 2012
I felt good about Herkert getting the blade for above five seconds - when I got to the part where the Chairman of the BOD (with zero supermarket experience) had been installed as (interim?) CEO. Kevin Coupe pointed out the obvious - that the Board had been complicit in Supervalu's decline by installing Herkert in the first place and then twiddled its collective thumbs as he ran SVU into the ground. In the press release announcing the CEO change Sales articulated no particular vision for turning things around apart from accelerating the same game plan Herkert had just announced a couple of weeks ago.
will

Jefferson, ME

#704 Aug 2, 2012
Things got even trickier for Shaw's now that Market Basket is apparently coming to Maine. If built in its proposed form it would be the largest supermarket in the state.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/201208...
dipdip

Augusta, ME

#705 Aug 9, 2012
Their latest contest sucks as much as the last. Get the hell away from all the gimmicks, get rid of the card, and lower your prices.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#706 Aug 11, 2012
dipdip wrote:
Their latest contest sucks as much as the last. Get the hell away from all the gimmicks, get rid of the card, and lower your prices.
With the drought in the rest of the country as bad as it is,prices won't go gown in any store.
will

Portland, ME

#707 Aug 11, 2012
The Market Basket effect? Rumor has it the Shaw's on So. Willow in Manchester, NH is underperforming and will close and convert to Save-A-Lot. It would be only the second Save-A-Lot in the Granite State; the other one is way up in the North Country in Gorham. Stay tuned...
will

Portland, ME

#708 Aug 26, 2012
Some key Shaw's locations could be attractive to chains looking to establish a presence in New England. Lease terms will be disclosed to prospective buyers in the coming weeks. This article seems to downplay the prospect of Shaw's being sold in its entirety.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/quincy/fun/x105517...
Lisa

Concord, NH

#709 Aug 27, 2012
will wrote:
Some key Shaw's locations could be attractive to chains looking to establish a presence in New England. Lease terms will be disclosed to prospective buyers in the coming weeks. This article seems to downplay the prospect of Shaw's being sold in its entirety.
http://www.wickedlocal.com/quincy/fun/x105517...
So, if Kroger of Safeway were to buy Shaws, would the stores in the prime locations remain Shaws brand or would they become Kroger of Safeway?
Gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#710 Aug 27, 2012
You need a new player in the region.The Shaws/Star Market name is tainted and it would be foolish to keep the banner name when it is known as the chain with the highest prices around.If you change to an unknown name it will drive peoples curiosity and then if done the right way you will gain some marketshare back.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#711 Aug 28, 2012
Gameboy wrote:
You need a new player in the region.The Shaws/Star Market name is tainted and it would be foolish to keep the banner name when it is known as the chain with the highest prices around.If you change to an unknown name it will drive peoples curiosity and then if done the right way you will gain some marketshare back.
Only one big enough with the distribution system to handle that in that area is Stop&Shop
will

Portland, ME

#712 Aug 29, 2012
Gameboy wrote:
I think your analysis is right on the money; an established player in the region can't take on the Shaw's stores, at least not all of them. Stop & Shop may cherry-pick certain locations in areas where it already has a presence, but there's a limit to this since they were forced to divest a bunch of stores when they took over Purity Supreme, and I think they're still smarting from the abortive efforts to establish presences in Maine and Vermont. Market Basket seems content with organic growth, with new stores in Biddeford, ME and now North Conway, NH in the pipeline. I still think Tops is the odds-on favorite to get the stores since Morgan Stanley has ample funds to acquire and invest in Shaw's neglected facilities and C&S (which handles distribution for Tops) clearly covets Supervalu's distribution network.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#713 Sep 3, 2012
Today I was told by some one who " knows " that the Shaws in Lancaster is about to become a "Sav-a -lot .
I am not familiar with their pricing structure and so i am curious to learn of their ways and methods ..any insight from all you ???

Location hidden

#714 Sep 4, 2012
Sorry that last post was about Shaws in Lancaster,New Hampshire
robert

Blackstone, MA

#715 Sep 4, 2012
Supervalu has what they call levels of stores they can offer a developer or a community in new england.
Star being the top of the line. High end.
Shaws being your everyday grocery store.
Your neighborhood store is geared more towards the area. Lower cost less variety.
Sav-a-lot is low end. bottom of the line. They are company owed and also independently owed. Usually smaller not as much help, keep cost down.
Sav-a-lot is what supervalu is making alot of money on right now.
Lisa in NH

Bow, NH

#716 Sep 4, 2012
robert wrote:
Supervalu has what they call levels of stores they can offer a developer or a community in new england.
Star being the top of the line. High end.
Shaws being your everyday grocery store.
Your neighborhood store is geared more towards the area. Lower cost less variety.
Sav-a-lot is low end. bottom of the line. They are company owed and also independently owed. Usually smaller not as much help, keep cost down.
Sav-a-lot is what supervalu is making alot of money on right now.
I would put Sav-a-lot on the same par as Dollar Stores. I went into the Save-a-lot in Berlin, NH about 4 years ago (out of curiosity) and the place scared me. It smelled bad and the meat didn't look very good. Everything is on pallets and their products have the same packaging as name brand, but it's off by like a letter or color so you don't realize it's Dalmonte canned Vegtables, rather than Del Monte veggies, until you look really closely at the product. And the lighting in the store was very harsh against the bleak, white walls.

As for Shaws, I was chatting with a friend and we both agreed that since Herkert was let go, it seems like the sales have been better at Shaws. Not sure if that is a coincidence or not but I'll take it. But it could be too late for Shaws. Despite the great Kraft sale going on this week, my store was just about empty when I shopped there around 10am Sat. morning.
will

Jefferson, ME

#717 Sep 4, 2012
Save-A-Lot is very hit-and-miss depending on the licensee running the store. However, even in the worst units I've been in over the years I've never found any name brand knockoffs. Still, there's a first time for everything, I guess...

Location hidden

#718 Sep 4, 2012
So , I guess we can expect your basic junk...
Too bad that shaws'Supervalu has no balls ...
If Artie were in their they would clean house!

Maybe i will just wait for the sav a lot to close and then take the location for a 28,000sq ft IGA !!

I know that at least Bozzutos wants me !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Jan 13 is more trouble c... 16
Private Label Research Project Jan 5 Anonymous 1
News Giant Eagle closures Jan 4 They cannot kill ... 7
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Jan 2 Akbar Beyah 45
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '16 Michelle 96
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 12
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... (Jun '16) Aug '16 Scotty Steiner 15
More from around the web