exshawsguy

Barre, VT

#654 Mar 4, 2012
shawsrulez wrote:
<quoted text>
Pebbles don't know how long you been here, but you will learn its alot of whining from associates that don't want to be part of the solution. Hence they are part of the problem. Wish they would put as much effort into turning company around as they do bashing it.
Face the facts. I was with shaw's for ten years and watched it be run into the ground so the profits could be shipped out west to keep shareholders happy. No amount of cheerleading will change the fact that shaw's is doomed. The perception is there that it's circling the drain, and the customers are all shopping somewhere else.
tim ad

Danvers, MA

#655 Mar 5, 2012
Frank wrote:
Can you say chapter 11
it seems inevitable

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#656 Mar 5, 2012
Your points about chapter 11 make perfect sense IF shaws is still a free standing corporation ,,simply a corporation in and of itself that is simply owned by another entity. Then chapter 11 makes very good sense..allows themto get rid of excess bulk and get rid of the unions at the same time,,they then emerge as a stonger company worth others bidding for ... time will tell.
will

Portland, ME

#657 Mar 6, 2012
Frank wrote:
Can you say chapter 11
Nope. Despite its many challenges (which have been discussed ad nauseam in this thread) Supervalu is profitable, continues to whittle down debt and pays a quarterly dividend to shareholders. When the economy improves enough I would not be at all surprised if SVU sold off some territories in which it has a relatively poor competitive position. But SVU does not face a liquidity crisis.
robert

Milford, MA

#658 Mar 6, 2012
I know Shaws makes money. Last year they made over 25 million in profit. Its all going to come down to how long the shareholders are willing to hold out. Me personal, I think once the stock closes below $6 and stays there for a little bit. Some branch of supervalu will be sold off to help with debt and increase the stock.
Frank

United States

#660 Apr 3, 2012
5.30 the ship is sinking sell sell sell
Gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#661 Apr 4, 2012
Consumer Reports rates supermarkets. Shaws ranked #50 out of 52.I wonder if Mike Stigers is thinking about that one!!! Shaws is only above Walmart and publix. Seems ironic that Craig Herkert was once a big exec at Walmart and now at Supervalu which owns Shaws both companies are hurting. Shaws will be #1 in new england one day one store one customer at a time. It will take forever!!! By the way Market Basket ranked #7 but they are not Shaws competition so we are told!!!
will

Portland, ME

#662 Apr 5, 2012
Actually Walmart and Pathmark ranked below Shaw's; Publix was #3. Wegmans was #1, while Stop & Shop ranked near the bottom, not much higher than Shaw's. Hannaford made the Top 20. Big Y and Price Chopper were in the middle of the pack. I was surprised that Market Basket did so well considering their reputation, deserved or not, for inferior produce and meat. Most Supervalu banners were near the bottom of the list. Here's a full listing:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story...

Regarding Supervalu's sinking stock, one wonders what all this selling activity is based on. The fourth quarter conference call is scheduled for this coming Tuesday; it will be interesting to hear Herkert try and spin this.
will

Portland, ME

#663 Apr 20, 2012
There's talk on the street of Kroger buying a supermarket chain - not Shaw's, but #2 grocery retailer Safeway. The antitrust issues are daunting, and the debt assumed would be substantial. But if this comes to pass, I wouldn't bet against Supervalu trading some territories with Kroger. Maybe, just maybe, Kroger might end up with Shaw's after all!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-18/safe...
Lisa in NH

Concord, NH

#664 Apr 20, 2012
will wrote:
There's talk on the street of Kroger buying a supermarket chain - not Shaw's, but #2 grocery retailer Safeway. The antitrust issues are daunting, and the debt assumed would be substantial. But if this comes to pass, I wouldn't bet against Supervalu trading some territories with Kroger. Maybe, just maybe, Kroger might end up with Shaw's after all!
At this point, something needs to happen with Shaws. They are not even trying to be successful at this point. Which is sad because I love Shaws but they are swirling down.
exshawsguy

United States

#665 Apr 22, 2012
Lisa in NH wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point, something needs to happen with Shaws. They are not even trying to be successful at this point. Which is sad because I love Shaws but they are swirling down.
Which is the truly sad part. About ten years ago they were so fantastic to work for that you waited weeks (some said months) just to get an interview. I watched one of the stores I worked in go from a million a week in sales (granted at x-mas) to 350 grand a week.
will

Portland, ME

#666 Apr 22, 2012
Well, it looks like Herkert's days at Supervalu could finally be numbered - and not because of his performance as CEO. Turns out Walmart paid out tens of millions of dollars in bribes to Mexican officials while he was head of WMT's Latin American operations. If Herkert is directly implicated, I doubt even the toothless SVU Board of Directors would go for Herkert running the company from Club Fed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/business/at...

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#667 Apr 22, 2012
will wrote:
Heard the same thing,also heard that Stop&Shop parent Royald Ahold is also interested.The're sitting on about 4/5 billion and this would expand them from just the east coast to nation wide.
will

Portland, ME

#669 Apr 23, 2012
The latest humiliation for SuperValu - it's being dropped from the S&P 500. Heck of a job, Craiggers...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/phillips-66-...

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#670 May 1, 2012
A while back I mentioned that Artie Demoulas had bought a small grocery chain in Rhode Island. It was closed [out of businesss ] when he bought it and I believe there were about 13 stores....someone said "Almacs" or something like that...any word on the street? is/was there such a chain in R.I.? I know he simply wrote out a check and paid cash ...whay say you all ?
will

Portland, ME

#671 May 2, 2012
watson699 wrote:
whay say you all ?
Speaking strictly for myself, this sounds like an urban legend. When Almacs liquidated in 1995 Supervalu (which supplied the chain) bought 9 units, Shaw's bought 8 (four of which they reopened as Shaw's locations) and the rest either sold to independents or sat vacant. I can find no evidence of Demoulas involvement.
Frank

Bronx, NY

#672 Jun 8, 2012
Craig, enough is enough 4.30 step down!!!
watson699

Center Barnstead, NH

#673 Jun 8, 2012
Will,
I said that before 1998 Artie bought a closed chain in Rhode Island. I was asked if i would move from New Hampshire to R.I to help run things and supervise. Isaid yes but artie decided to let them sit for a while . I never said it was Almacs .Some one else on here suggested that as a possible name .I only know that he bought 12 -13 stores and still owns them today
I really don't know if it was the almacs or not ..but it would be interesting to see all 12 stores open on the sa,e day in R.I.

Stockbridge Mass

#674 Jun 8, 2012
Food for thought , Albertson's laying off about 2500.

Stockbridge Mass

#675 Jun 8, 2012
...link....

http://moorpark.patch.com/articles/albertsons...

Albertsons announced plans Wednesday to reduce its workforce by 2,200-2,500 positions, affecting all 247 California and Nevada stores.

Moorpark is home to an Albertsons store at 475 West Los Angeles Avenue.

"A decision of this nature is never easy, but it is the necessary step for us to take to help improve our business and accelerate our turnaround," said Dan Sanders, president of Albertsons' Fullerton-based Southern California Division.

"Our goal is to more effectively serve the marketplace by scheduling associates more appropriately to serve customers at the times they shop," he said. "I am confident our team will embrace these changes and help us to compete more effectively in a rapidly changing marketplace."

The layoffs—which are set to begin June 17 and should be nearly completed near July 1—are "expected to directly impact a small number of positions at any specific store location," according to a company statement.

In February, the company reduced staff in its Fullerton store support center.

"While Albertsons' commitment to the neighborhoods it serves remains the same, the need for change at the company is clear," the company's statement says. "Albertsons has not kept pace with the changing needs of its customers for a number of reasons. At the same time, while the division has experienced a reduction in traffic and an overall decline in sales, it has not made the necessary adjustments to its store-level operations."

Albertsons executives pledged to work with the United Food and Commercial Workers union to "ensure a smooth transition for affected associates."

Albertsons, founded in 1939, is the largest retail chain in Minnesota-based SuperValu Inc.'s family of grocery stores, with 445 Albertsons and Lucky stores in Southern California, Southern Nevada, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Dec 6 Independent1 56
OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... Dec 2 The Hack Checker 3
Sobeys to close 6 grocery stores in Manitoba Nov '14 Eric 4
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '14 TIREDOFIT 91
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Nov '14 adriane 27
Police Arrest Mother With Child for Shoplifting Oct '14 Most Interesting Man 4
Incoming Supervalu CEO Duncan to make $1.5 mill... (Jan '13) Oct '14 fayebryant00 3
More from around the web