Kroger Buying Shaw's?
kehe

Marlborough, MA

#42 Aug 9, 2010
will wrote:
The turkeyhill.com domain is registered to Kroger. The New York Times reported in 1985 that Turkey Hill had been sold to Kroger. Turkey Hill's driver employment application indicates that you are to be employed by KDL (Kroger Dedicated Logistics.) Google "Kroger Turkey Hill" and there are many more links that prove Kroger's ownership of Turkey Hill.
Kroger owns Turkey Hill . check wikipedia
krill

Grafton, NH

#43 Aug 9, 2010
Talking with some of the drivers, (second hand info), But they are saying that Kroger is closing on Shaw's on Aug 15th
robert

Blackstone, MA

#44 Aug 10, 2010
Kroger looked at the books of shaws and wanted to buy them. What we heard was that Kroger felt the books were fixed and backed out of the deal. Shaws has been in a hiring freeze since april and have been cutting labor cost were ever they can. Look at any shaws on a sunday and you will find a skeleton crew on because they are to pay time and a half. They laid off people in non union stores and 49 assistant store managers to cut cost.
I hope that supervalu sells shaws even though the CEO of supervalu says its not for sale.
Mike

Boise, ID

#45 Aug 11, 2010
Agree with Robert, I hope Shaw's is sold. Being part of a mega-corp dosn't make everything easier.
Would love to see Shaw's privately owned again. Don't think Supervalu 'values' Shaw's/Star other than a balance sheet item. Since when does Great Customer Service focus on Stockholders over Customers?

Would love to see Shaw's privately owned again. The business is easy....good products at fair prices plus good specials equals SALES and HAPPY ASSOCIATES.
Lisa

Concord, NH

#46 Aug 11, 2010
I read an article in the Boston Globe that Larry Wahlstrom, the former president of Shaws is coming out of retirement and taking back the helm from the current Shaws President, Mike Witynski. So maybe the deal did fall through with Kroger. We'll all know in 4 days I guess.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#47 Aug 17, 2010
Lisa wrote:
I read an article in the Boston Globe that Larry Wahlstrom, the former president of Shaws is coming out of retirement and taking back the helm from the current Shaws President, Mike Witynski. So maybe the deal did fall through with Kroger. We'll all know in 4 days I guess.
Watch out for Ahold/Stop&Shop/Giant to get involved in this.
Mike

Boise, ID

#48 Aug 18, 2010
Just heard that Kroger is actually going to buy only the Retail Operations of Shaws/Star and not the Distribution. Maybe SuperValu will stick to what it knows best, Supply Chain, and let a merchant run the business!
What have you heard out there???

Stockbridge Mass

#49 Aug 22, 2010
Mike wrote:
Just heard that Kroger is actually going to buy only the Retail Operations of Shaws/Star and not the Distribution. Maybe SuperValu will stick to what it knows best, Supply Chain, and let a merchant run the business!
What have you heard out there???
See post # 47
robert

Blackstone, MA

#50 Aug 22, 2010
Shaws has said that they will not resign their contract with C&S (which ends in Sept.) and go to self supplying chain.(unfortunately c&s will still have to supply a few deli items.)
Shaws has also rid themselves of the northborough warehouse. Shaws still has a couple of warehouses left up here. If Kroger were to buy Shaws they would need to keep these other warehouses seeing how Kroger has nothing in New England. Kroger could have an agreement with supervalu that they would only buy shaws if they got rid of C&S. It would be nice if Kroger bought Shaws but it is only a rumor, one of many. Right now Shaws has plans for the upcoming Fall sales that they are planning which Coincide with some supervalu events.
Leger from New Hampshire

Manchester, NH

#51 Aug 22, 2010
Shaws has definately been purchased. We are to get the final info by September 1st98% sure that it is Kroger.
robert

Blackstone, MA

#52 Aug 24, 2010
Leger from New Hampshire wrote:
Shaws has definately been purchased. We are to get the final info by September 1st98% sure that it is Kroger.
Don't get me wrong I'd love it if shaws was sold. But we have heard many many many rumors before, Stop & shop buying the northern stores, hannaford buying the cape stores Kroger buying the city stores. A lot of people are to the point I'll believe it when I see it.
Dave

Sharon, MA

#53 Aug 24, 2010
I heard Kroger only bought the union stores of Shaws and the others were sold to Whole Foods and Winn Dixie.
Star

Brookline, MA

#54 Aug 27, 2010
Shaw's treats their people like garbage. They made us feel like we are numbers, not like a team. The bosses couldn't care less about us, it's a joke. No one cares who runs the place, what difference does it make? They transfer people they don't like to stores they know are closing and lay them off. All the bosses want is to keep us afraid and like we are going to lose our jobs to control us.
Robert

South Easton, MA

#55 Aug 29, 2010
I drive for shaws and have heard all the same rumors. I just hope supervalu sells the warehouses too. Since albertsons and supervalu took over management has treated us like crap. No matter how hard you work it is not appreciated. They tell us only what they want us to hear,and most of it is lies. It is hard to take pride in your work, when you are treated like a piece of shit.
Mike

Wakefield, MA

#56 Aug 30, 2010
Come on, stay focused on the point...sale of Shaw's.
How management 'treats us' is irrelevant. It's about the plan; get the focus on pricing where it belongs.
We take pride in what we do, what we can control, how we do our jobs! You can still have pride if you keep doing everything you can for our customer.

Just hope whatever happens, the focus can be shifted back to where it belongs......CUSTOMERS.
Peg

Danvers, MA

#57 Aug 30, 2010
Customers are now an afterthought. We want to know whats happening to out jobs. let us know already!
robert

Blackstone, MA

#58 Aug 30, 2010
Leger from New Hampshire wrote:
Shaws isn't sold. We can hope, pray and even wish but truth of the matter is shaws is not sold. Shaws has a long turn plan that involves lowering the prices of thousands of products over the next month. There are long term deals for certain sales coming up with supervalu. Supervalu would not be sharing these details if it were sold. They would raise prices to get every penny it could before the sale.

I with most people in wishing for the sale of shaws to someone who knows how to run a retail chain. Supervalu clearly doesn't understand how to run a retail store.

Stockbridge Mass

#59 Aug 31, 2010
Looks like Ahold is getting into the Mix, Carl Schlickler is turnning Giant/Stop&Shop into a C&S front and Super value will take over out West.
Noise

Taunton, MA

#60 Sep 1, 2010
Giantone wrote:
Looks like Ahold is getting into the Mix, Carl Schlickler is turnning Giant/Stop&Shop into a C&S front and Super value will take over out West.
Ok - so Mike W. leaves......Larry W who was retired comes back,(Why would he come back seriously???? If Supervalu was keeping Shaw's they'd quickly get someone else in there as acting president)Larry is filling a void before the sell. Shaw's CT stores GONE and C&S out of the picture......... Supervalu is on the brink of announcing a sale. You may all find this odd but I'm hearing it's a done deal with TESCO.
will

Jefferson, ME

#61 Sep 4, 2010
Ahold makes absolutely no sense. They got out of Maine and Vermont, the latter before they even opened one store, plus there's way too much overlap in MA and RI.

I seriously doubt TESCO would be interested, either; they're losing tons of money on Fresh & Easy on the West Coast. Somehow I doubt they would double down with another troubled chain all the way across the country.

Between bringing Larry back and the coming price investments it really does appear as though SuperValu is going to give turning around Shaw's a serious effort. Probably the best tactic in a recession rather than unloading it at a fire-sale price. That said, don't be surprised if Kroger ends up with Shaw's in the long run.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Jan 13 is more trouble c... 16
Private Label Research Project Jan 5 Anonymous 1
News Giant Eagle closures Jan 4 They cannot kill ... 7
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Jan 2 Akbar Beyah 45
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '16 Michelle 96
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 12
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... (Jun '16) Aug '16 Scotty Steiner 15
More from around the web