Kroger Buying Shaw's?
supervalu

Grand Rapids, MI

#532 Jul 4, 2011
I believe that we can all agree that shaws stores are dead . We simply don't know the date yet!
It simply remains to be seen just how tgey meet their demise. they could be sold off or they could be broken up and sold that way,which seems to be the way they are headed.Let all the outer stores [not in major areas ] simply let their leases expire and close them.Keep all the producers and sell as a package that is a profitable company of course,if they can do that then maybe they will keep them and run them....that would be a bad move as they don't know how to compete against all the New England competition.
gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#533 Jul 8, 2011
C&S contract with Shaws for dairy expires in October. That is the last outside supplier for the company.
Dairy will be warehoused in Methuen.
Will this help us be more attractive to any buyers??? Comments anyone?
The new president claims that Shaws will return to be the #1 supermarket in new england. I find this to be a ridiculous statement. Any thoughts on this also?

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#534 Jul 8, 2011
TWO THINGS:
When was Shaw's EVER the # 1 market in New England and #2 ...What else is he gonna say? That Shaws will return to its former position of being the most overpriced,poorly managed and understaffed supermarket in New England?????
rango

Enfield, NH

#535 Jul 9, 2011
What coupon policy change??

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#536 Jul 10, 2011
gameboy wrote:
C&S contract with Shaws for dairy expires in October. That is the last outside supplier for the company.
Dairy will be warehoused in Methuen.
Will this help us be more attractive to any buyers??? Comments anyone?
The new president claims that Shaws will return to be the #1 supermarket in new england. I find this to be a ridiculous statement. Any thoughts on this also?
You say dairy can you exband on that?Is it dairy delly,all fresh or is it just dairy and why will it make them more attractive?
gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#537 Jul 11, 2011
Dairy is the only category that Shaws gets out of C&S,With the exception of some packaged cold cuts and hot dogs.
I am ASKING if a company would be more attractive to a potential buyer if it is a self supplier as opposed to having contracts with C&S etc.

Stockbridge Mass

#538 Jul 11, 2011
gameboy wrote:
Dairy is the only category that Shaws gets out of C&S,With the exception of some packaged cold cuts and hot dogs.
I am ASKING if a company would be more attractive to a potential buyer if it is a self supplier as opposed to having contracts with C&S etc.
I ask becuase S&S and Giant /Landover.....all have contracts with C&S but keep their Fresh in house ....Produse ,Seafood,Delly,Meat actual dairy....Milk+eggs .....comes from somewhere else ...C&S only does dry for Ahold ...some freezer and Burres does the rest of the frozen.
To me any company that is self sufficient is more attracive ,company's that outsource have no control over quality or delivery.....or cost.
Ben Theredunthat

United States

#539 Jul 11, 2011
Something to keep in mind is that when Methuen was built, it was designed to handle full service perishable for 75-80 stores.

So, now they're going full service again for 175 stores?

LOL...Doubt it!

Stockbridge Mass

#540 Jul 11, 2011
Down here in Maryland at Giant/Landover we have around 15-20 local farmers that come to the warehouse....some of them twice a day to deliver product.All our greens ,squash,eggplant,peppers,cukes and now the local corn is starting to come in..... and is all local to our warehouse.
AGreatNameRuined

Manchester, NH

#541 Jul 11, 2011
Supervalu has actually made money in the last quarter. Now they are drastically lowering prices in two NH southern stores to be on the same price line as Hannaford and MarketBasket. Some good news at last, price reductions coming in the next three weeks.... Finally , Hope it's not to late...
gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#542 Jul 11, 2011
Shaws can never be on the same priceline as a Market Basket.
Lowering prices in two stores?? Not a big deal.
Prices are still way out of control.
will

Jefferson, ME

#543 Jul 17, 2011
Briefly delurking for a few observations:

Re: Price cuts in Southern NH, am I right in assuming that Shaw's is engaging in a price war in the Londonderry-Salem area, where they face direct competition with new mega-Baskets?

I agree that Shaw's has to address pricing across-the-board in order to halt market share losses. Shaw's everyday pricing is actually very competitive on a number of items, but it remains seriously out-of-whack on most others. Problem is, Supervalu still has to pay down a lot of debt, which impacts their ability to invest in price.

Shaw's embrace of extreme couponers is a double-edged sword at best. Whatever volume these customers generate is offset by persistent out-of-stocks and backups in the checkout line, to say nothing of the losses generated by doubling coupons. The halfhearted effort to stymie the biggest abusers is just generating more unwanted publicity, and I've yet to see any evidence of reduced arguments with management over disputed coupons.

As long as there aren't huge logistical problems with Shaw's distribution system I don't see their mode of distribution making much difference either way. Any newcomer to the region will need a distribution network whether it is in-house or outsourced to C&S, Bozzuto's or the like. Supervalu will also need to maintain some semblance of a distribution infrastructure regardless of the disposition of Shaw's because they still have to supply Save-A-Lot stores in the region. It'll be interesting to see what happens to private label when/if Supervalu unloads Shaw's.

What really mystifies me is that Supervalu hasn't tried to get into distribution to independents in the region; that particularly came to mind when Associated Grocers of Maine went belly-up earlier this year. Maybe between C&S, Bozzuto's, AGNE and Hannaford there isn't room for another player in this space. Or maybe SVU just don't have the capacity to carry this off.

I don't think Shaw's was ever #1 in New England; I think Stop & Shop always had the lead. Shaw's was probably at its strongest between the time they bought Star Market and the time J. Sainsbury sold out to Albertsons.
Frank

Frisco, TX

#544 Jul 31, 2011
Maybe Supervalu will keep the distribution and sell the stores.
Lisa From NH not VT

Suncook, NH

#545 Jul 31, 2011
Yahoo has decided I'm from VT and not NH, so I'm just clarifying.

As a cosumer, it does appear as though Shaws (aka Supervalu) is trying. Last week was a great shopping week at Shaws. It seems like Supervalu is trying to find their niche between bringing in consumers and meeting their bottome line.

With that said, when I shopped last week, the store was still pretty empty. Sadly we were able to get through the check out pretty quickly because there were so few shoppers.

As a member of many coupon forums, I have to say that there a lot of die hard Shaws shoppers who are very loyal to Shaws (not extreme couponers-just consumers who still see values at Shaws).

I just hope that this new strategy is not too little too late for Shaws. I think that Supervalu's involvement with Shaws has not really done the Shaws chain a whole lot of good.
Frank

San Mateo, CA

#546 Aug 5, 2011
I notice Market Basket prices are starting to rise, getting bigger costs money and the consumer must pay their fare share. Shaws should take advantage of this situation and start it's comeback before it's too late.
will

Jefferson, ME

#547 Aug 5, 2011
What makes you think Market Basket is unique in passing through higher wholesale prices to the consumer? Food inflation is real, and no supermarket is an island.
Robert

Blackstone, MA

#548 Aug 5, 2011
One of bosses just told us that Supervalu has finally given shaws the OK to lower its prices. Now everyone knows that not done overnight but its about time.
tim ad

Danvers, MA

#549 Aug 5, 2011
Robert wrote:
One of bosses just told us that Supervalu has finally given shaws the OK to lower its prices. Now everyone knows that not done overnight but its about time.
I find that hard to believe. They have said they have been lowering prices for a while now but they gave been raising them.
Gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#550 Aug 8, 2011
A gallon of Hood milk is $5.19 in my store!
Who in their right mind would buy that.
Garelick at a White Hen is only $2.99.
But all is well at Shaws!!!
tim ad

Danvers, MA

#551 Aug 9, 2011
Gameboy wrote:
A gallon of Hood milk is $5.19 in my store!
Who in their right mind would buy that.
Garelick at a White Hen is only $2.99.
But all is well at Shaws!!!
Being in the stores everyday, it's hard to believe all is well. I don't know who they think they are fooling!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Nov 15 Jane Parker Fruit... 42
Grocery Store Donation - why or why not? Nov 2 emnayo 1
News Feds sue Publix over dreadlocks ban Oct '17 canstacker 1
News Layoffs coming at Shaw's supermarkets: Chain to... (Nov '12) Sep '17 Stephen D Clark 7
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... Sep '17 a_visitor 5
Who does the shopping in your house? Do you? ... Sep '17 Sonja 1
News Ingles Markets, Incorporated (IMKTA) Reaches Ne... Aug '17 justwondering 1
More from around the web