Kroger Buying Shaw's?
karen

Hudson, MA

#21 May 4, 2010
I feel for Liz, hopefully someone who want's to be competitive will purchase this chain that was the best and now is the worst for the consumer
mikey

United States

#22 May 5, 2010
I doubt very much kroger products are showing up in shaws stores. True somthing has to happen. The company can't go on like this forever but all we have now is rumors. Nobody saw the sale of shaws to albertsons coming. We kept hearing kroger. Nobody saw the sale of the company to supervalu. We kept hearing kroger. so don't worry to much about rumors and stuff you can't control because it wiill just make you get stressed out
BS_Detector

New York, NY

#23 May 6, 2010
Kroger products are not showing up at Shaw's. That is ludicrous. Kroger has been rumored to be a potential buyer of Shaw's for years, as have plenty of other companies, including Safeway, A&P, Stop & Shop and Hannaford Bros. Eventually somebody will post their guess on an internet board and get it right, but not this time.
Hmmm makes you wonder

Gorham, ME

#24 May 6, 2010
BS_Detector wrote:
Kroger products are not showing up at Shaw's. That is ludicrous. Kroger has been rumored to be a potential buyer of Shaw's for years, as have plenty of other companies, including Safeway, A&P, Stop & Shop and Hannaford Bros. Eventually somebody will post their guess on an internet board and get it right, but not this time.
hmmm well I think you guys maybe don't work for Shaw's because there are conference calls and meetings today May 6th how did someone get that exact date right on 4/30 if they are so wrong? I think you're going to be surprised!
mikey

United States

#25 May 6, 2010
The meeting today is commen knowledge. The new person hired to head merchandising for the company is being introduced and laying out his plan. He is a former stop shop guy
dragonyze

Kennebunk, ME

#26 May 6, 2010
heard firsthand from a fellow shaws associate that Kroger branded products showed up in the persons store in central maine as early as last week. i believe he said it was frozen food cases. guess it was just a divine mispick?
frank

AOL

#27 May 6, 2010
The Shaws warehouse in the Mass. has been on strike since March. They supply the perishables to all the shaws and star markets. Shaws is doing the distribution through C and S in hatfield Mass.
Hmmm makes you wonder

Gorham, ME

#28 May 7, 2010
mikey wrote:
The meeting today is commen knowledge. The new person hired to head merchandising for the company is being introduced and laying out his plan. He is a former stop shop guy
How do you know that from Maryland? I'm not being rude I'm just wondering how someone in MD would know what's going on with Shaw's. Thanks
Noise

Boise, ID

#29 May 7, 2010
Hmmm makes you wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know that from Maryland? I'm not being rude I'm just wondering how someone in MD would know what's going on with Shaw's. Thanks
You can change your location easily in forums. It doesn't mean he's from MD because I'm not from IL
mikey

United States

#30 May 7, 2010
I'm in mass.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#31 May 7, 2010
Hmmm makes you wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Becuase down here in Maryland we are keeping a close eye on C&S.Giant Food which is part of Ahold is trying to lease the dry goods warehouse to Jessup Lagistics(a C&S company).this after Safeway had taken C&S to court to get their distrabution system back from C&S.
mikey

Rockport, ME

#32 May 10, 2010
Terry Wood wrote:
Well, as I type all Shaw's employees are at peace over the pending sale to Krogers. Kroger merchandise has been arriving daily at the stores here in Maine.
Well Terry Ive worked for Shaws over 25 years have plenty of friends in variety of Shaws stores, NO Krogers product in any stores that Im being told of, all just rumors, so for now, Ill believe it when I see it
nightsocker

Marietta, GA

#33 May 19, 2010
Liz wrote:
My husband and I currently work at Shaws. and we have heard alot of rumors. Hopefully it ends soon he was all ready laid off to part time with pay cut and hours reduce to 28 for both of us. So either way we need a new change to happen fast and for the better. If that means getting rid of the shaws name and prices im all for that!
I feel your pain. Supervalu is squeezing the life out of Shoppers,my store,too. layoffs, cut hours, lowering the labor budget every week and threatening the mgrs. if they dont make payroll with their jobs. it is the worst I have seen it in over 24 years.
syto99

Manchester, NH

#34 May 21, 2010
I've worked for shaws 28 years and the last 2 buyouts, the company has gotten progressively worse. I agree wholeheartedly that they are squeezing the life out of the employees. I've been a meatcutter for 28 years and now and shipped around to seafood and stocking shelves! Supervalue does not listen to their employees. They are great on customer service, but that does nothing to keep the customer due to their outrageously high prices.
Let's hope change is coming....or I'm heading to Market Basket!
XxXShawsXxX

Manchester, NH

#35 Jul 21, 2010
I personally saw eveidence that Krogers has something to do with Shaws. Whether they bought Shaws or something else there is some affiliation between the two. Also, the Union contract has been ratififed on the last day possible and everyone knows what happened last time there were negotiations....The Union got everything they wanted just so it would be over and the company could be sold with nothing being held over the new owners head. Think about it.....change is needed and is inevitable!
will

Jefferson, ME

#36 Jul 23, 2010
Kroger or Safeway would be the most logical buyers for Shaw's if Supervalu decided to pull out of the traditional supermarket business in New England. The supermarket biz is very cutthroat and has very small margins so an operator with a heavy debt load like Supervalu has significant disadvantages in trying to compete with low-cost operators like Market Basket, Hannaford and Walmart. Kroger has been quite successful in weathering this recession and differentiating itself from the likes of Walmart. Kroger already does business in New England with its Turkey Hill brand ice tea and ice cream products. No matter what happens, Supervalu will retain a presence in the region with their Save-A-Lot limited assortment banner.

Stockbridge Mass

#37 Jul 24, 2010
will wrote:
Kroger or Safeway would be the most logical buyers for Shaw's if Supervalu decided to pull out of the traditional supermarket business in New England. The supermarket biz is very cutthroat and has very small margins so an operator with a heavy debt load like Supervalu has significant disadvantages in trying to compete with low-cost operators like Market Basket, Hannaford and Walmart. Kroger has been quite successful in weathering this recession and differentiating itself from the likes of Walmart. Kroger already does business in New England with its Turkey Hill brand ice tea and ice cream products. No matter what happens, Supervalu will retain a presence in the region with their Save-A-Lot limited assortment banner.
2things ,one Turkey Hill is not a "Kroger brand"...,2 if anyone takes over in New England it will be C&S.
will

Portland, ME

#38 Jul 25, 2010
Fact: Turkey Hill (both the convenience stores and the dairy) have been owned by Kroger since 1985.

Stockbridge Mass

#39 Jul 26, 2010
will wrote:
Fact: Turkey Hill (both the convenience stores and the dairy) have been owned by Kroger since 1985.
Nope , not according to this .......

https://www.turkeyhill.com/default.aspx
will

Portland, ME

#41 Jul 29, 2010
The turkeyhill.com domain is registered to Kroger. The New York Times reported in 1985 that Turkey Hill had been sold to Kroger. Turkey Hill's driver employment application indicates that you are to be employed by KDL (Kroger Dedicated Logistics.) Google "Kroger Turkey Hill" and there are many more links that prove Kroger's ownership of Turkey Hill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jan 4 GHoo 103
Security In Grocery Stores? Dec '17 Kevin 1
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Nov '17 Jane Parker Fruit... 42
Grocery Store Donation - why or why not? Nov '17 emnayo 1
News Feds sue Publix over dreadlocks ban Oct '17 canstacker 1
News Layoffs coming at Shaw's supermarkets: Chain to... (Nov '12) Sep '17 Stephen D Clark 7
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... Sep '17 a_visitor 5
More from around the web