Kroger Buying Shaw's?

Since: Jan 11

Danvers, MA

#264 Feb 16, 2011
gameboy wrote:
How did this get to be a feud between union vs. non union. The fact is we are one company that is not performing well due to mistakes in upper management. As for union or non union??? I can't say since I have been non union for 33 years.But guess what,when I end up filling milk at Stop And Shop after my Shaws days are over,I'll let you know cause I'll have to join a union then!!!!!
Agreed!
Cereal195

Ludlow, MA

#265 Feb 17, 2011
Any nightshift Shaws Employees going from nights to dawn shift, told it was better for business not too many happy people in my location, guys with 20 years or more on nights being told we are going to days. just another Supervalu way to get rid of more employees.

Danvers, MA

#266 Feb 17, 2011
I heard today from a vendor that "Almost all Shaws" would be closing soon. I dont know where he heard it or if its true.......

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#267 Feb 18, 2011
gameboy wrote:
How did this get to be a feud between union vs. non union. The fact is we are one company that is not performing well due to mistakes in upper management. As for union or non union??? I can't say since I have been non union for 33 years.But guess what,when I end up filling milk at Stop And Shop after my Shaws days are over,I'll let you know cause I'll have to join a union then!!!!!
post#241......and when you are union you'll be in much better shape
Frank

Dallas, TX

#268 Feb 18, 2011
Keep your eye on the big picture people, don't fight with each other, that's what the people who created this mess want.
gameboy

Andover, MA

#269 Feb 18, 2011
Giant, I have been an honest hardworking non union
supermarket employee since I was 16 years old. Even in a union environment,I think I would still be that honest hardworking union employee!!!
IT DOES NOT MATTER!!!

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#270 Feb 19, 2011
gameboy wrote:
Giant, I have been an honest hardworking non union
supermarket employee since I was 16 years old. Even in a union environment,I think I would still be that honest hardworking union employee!!!
IT DOES NOT MATTER!!!
First ....I'm sure you are a great employee ...I have never said anything to dispute that , and may I add it would'nt matter if you were Union or non -union on your work ethic....just as there are thousands of honest hard working Union people out there my point was the way management can get away with doing things to non-union employees that they couldn't if they were Union.
Look at A&P 1990...2000 stores,2000...1000stores,2007. ...600 stores,2011...369 stores and in bankruptcy....when you have less store you make less money,you turned over those valuable store fronts and realestate to the competition. Shaws ....A&P,Stop &Shop/Giant .....all run the same way.....and when you can't dump anymore stores they go after the employees.....and the Unions can do a little more for the employees then the non- union ones.
Nightstocker

Front Royal, VA

#271 Feb 21, 2011
Heard after the store closings and the VSP buyouts that Kroger is buying ALL of Shoppers and Shaws stores. This will Happen after the March SUMMITT.

Danvers, MA

#272 Feb 21, 2011
Nightstocker wrote:
Heard after the store closings and the VSP buyouts that Kroger is buying ALL of Shoppers and Shaws stores. This will Happen after the March SUMMITT.
Where did you hear that? If thats true WOW!
robert

Blackstone, MA

#273 Feb 21, 2011
Shaws just fired 3 store managers today.
gameboy

Andover, MA

#274 Feb 21, 2011
What do you mean by VSP buyouts?
As I said before please offer me a buyout !!!
Hang in there everyone.

Danvers, MA

#275 Feb 22, 2011
What 3 store mgrs got fired? No one knew anything about it today..
robert

Blackstone, MA

#276 Feb 22, 2011
The ones in Sharon, Weymouth, and stoughton.
robert

Blackstone, MA

#277 Feb 22, 2011
Tim AD wrote:
I heard today from a vendor that "Almost all Shaws" would be closing soon. I dont know where he heard it or if its true.......
The pepsi rep in our store said something like this. Only the high volume stores were going to stay open and they were closing about 100 stores. I doubt this very much.

Danvers, MA

#278 Feb 23, 2011
Usually vendors know about this stuff before the stores. That doesnt mean its true but there is probably some truth to it.
will

Portland, ME

#279 Feb 23, 2011
Rumors, founded and unfounded, have their way of spreading through the vendor community. I would take these ones with a huge grain of salt. Most likely we will continue to see a winnowing out of unprofitable locations as before.
Nightstocker

Front Royal, VA

#280 Feb 24, 2011
VSP stands for Voluntary Severance Package. For every year in you get 2 weeks pay plus 6 months ins.
tim

Holyoke, MA

#281 Feb 24, 2011
Who is being offered that?
robert

Blackstone, MA

#282 Feb 24, 2011
3 more store managers fired today.
One in Raynham
Jerry sutton is another one
the third one not sure where yet

Danvers, MA

#283 Feb 24, 2011
Wow! Why are all these guys getting fired? I heard 5 store closings will be announced at the end of the week. Again, I have no idea if its true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov 4 Michelle 96
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 12
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... (Jun '16) Aug '16 Scotty Steiner 15
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Aug '16 Iwillrun4fun 44
News Here's the best reason of all to drink organic ... Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 1
News Profits fall at Ingles Markets (Feb '09) Aug '16 true 94
Okay,,,so whats the deal with Shaws ?? (Oct '10) Jul '16 AnyoneElse 2
More from around the web