gameboy

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2011

Will,after reading that article in SN I hope that they offer an early retirement to Shaws employees soon.I may take them up on the offer!!!
It gets more depressing every day. I went to the new Market basket in Salem N.H. the other day and all I can say is WOW!!How embarrasing to go into my store the next day after seeing that place.
will

Gray, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

It appears from Shaw's Facebook page that their customer base is top-heavy with extreme couponers and other deal-seekers:

http://www.facebook.com/Shaws

It isn't all roses at Market Basket, either; their Manchester project is running well behind schedule, plus their Seabrook and Stratham projects are on indefinite hold.

Since: Jan 11

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

gameboy wrote:
Will,after reading that article in SN I hope that they offer an early retirement to Shaws employees soon.I may take them up on the offer!!!
It gets more depressing every day. I went to the new Market basket in Salem N.H. the other day and all I can say is WOW!!How embarrasing to go into my store the next day after seeing that place.
I would also take a package if offered. I would have before and let someone take my job. This has been awful for those of us left behind.

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

I heard 5 more stores closing. Anyone hear anything like that?
Ripley699

Glen, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

Tim AD wrote:
I heard 5 more stores closing. Anyone hear anything like that?
Yes: 3 in Mass and 2 in R.I. are those the stores you are referring to ?

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

Yes, Any idea who?
ripley699

Glen, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Tim AD wrote:
Yes, Any idea who?
yes they are all Shaws
gameboy

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Latest that I heard is that Wegmans offered Supervalu 680 million for the entire Shaws chain but Supervalu said no way . They want 1 billion and not one cent less. Any comments on this???

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2011

I didnt hear that Gameboy but it does not surprise me. Supervalu seems to be sticking to the 1 billion but I dont know who would be willing to pay that. I read it is only worth 700 to 800 million. I just dont see how they can keep running the business as they are right now. If they dont sell I would imagine they will just keep closing stores. Even the ones making money are still way down as far as customer volume.
Lisa

Concord, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2011

I was surprised this past weekend that there were not more people at my local Shaws. They had a good Cat deal going on and some good deals on soda. I thought for sure that the store would be loaded with shoppers, but sadly it was the same as it has been on Sat. mornings with 2 registers open and no lines. I hope that it's not too late for Shaws to pull out of this funk that Supervalu put them in.
robert

Blackstone, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2011

Supervalu can stick to the billion dollar mark but any one who knows business can see they won't get it. Their stock has fallen to $7.38. They owe billions and the shareholders won't sit back and watch their shares go down down down. The wall street journal did a report on supervalu trying to sell shaws.( http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2010/12/20/breakin... ) You can't keep closing stores and dragging the shaws name down and expect someone to pay one billion dollars.
Last time I checked Dr. Evil doesn't run supervalu.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

gameboy wrote:
Latest that I heard is that Wegmans offered Supervalu 680 million for the entire Shaws chain but Supervalu said no way . They want 1 billion and not one cent less. Any comments on this???
While your numbers might be right ...it wasn't Wegmans, maybe Hannaford but Wgmans can not afford anything the size of Shaws or that price right now.
will

Bangor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

Hannaford would have to dispose of most of the Shaw's locations in Northern New England in order to pass regulatory muster, and you can be sure that DOJ would force Delhaize to sell those stores to a competitor. In other words, too messy. Shaw's will either be sold piecemeal to various operators already in the region or to a single entity, probably private equity. However, for a single operator to be successful Supervalu would have to settle on a price that allows an operator to put money into the stores and operate on a cost basis closer to Hannaford and Market Basket.

Wegmans has enough on its plate with organic growth to get involved in a risky turnaround play. Other family-owned operators like Price Chopper and Big Y are on the acquisition trail, but not for anything on the scale of a Shaw's buyout.
gameboy

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2011

I heard some news today from a good source.
10 more stores will be closed soon (gloucesters ipswich,peabody )I think the salem n.h. store is doing around 250,000 since the new Market Basket opened a month ago across the street. These Massachusetts stores were put in the New Hampshire market area last time there was a realignment. I also heard that they are going to eliminate all assistant department manager positions. It is costing Supervalu 4 million dollars to fly all of the managers out to Minnesota on March the 6th, I don't think this will be a meeting on how great we are doing as a company. New fiscal year in a few weeks,It wont get off to a good start!!!

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2011

Interesting....When is all this supposed to happen? I can see all those stores closing and more. I cant imagine them staying open with the customer counts we have right now. I happen to see some coffee prices go up twice this week. it's just a matter of time. the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I work in one of those stores and it just gets worse and worse....
gameboy

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2011

Letter from Larry today(you know the generic one that says we are constantly looking for was to streamline our operations yada yada yada) 24 store support positions to be eliminated at Shaws. Do not know what these positions are. Could be as high as Market area directors or people left in Bridgewater offices. I am sure there are MANY more to come.What an exciting time at Shaws!!!! I can't wait for the new fiscal year. Please offer buyouts to associates with 30 or more years. I bet you could really streamline the business that way.

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

I wish they would have offered us packages when they did so for Store managers. I know myself and others who would have jumped at it. Ya, Exciting times at Shaws Lol!
robert

Blackstone, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

gameboy wrote:
I also heard that they are going to eliminate all assistant department manager positions.
This is something they can't do in the union stores because it is in the contract.
Not to say that they always follow the contract...

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

How many union stores are left? I dont believe NH or VT and northern Mass are union.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2011

.....that"s all this is about dumping the Unions but no Company has ever lowerd it's pricies after getting rid of the Unions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grocery Discussions

Search the Grocery Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tinley Park Jewel-Osco Salmonella Test Results ... Jul 24 concerned citizen 1
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jun 29 Beanie Shoemaker 87
Sobeys to close 6 grocery stores in Manitoba Jun 29 Eric and Sanjay 2
The close: Banks, insurers push TSX higher Jun '14 TSX games 1
Empire Company Limited Upgraded to "Sector Outp... Jun '14 TSX games 1
Wyoming police release surveillance photos of M... Jun '14 Who 3
About 50 underperforming Sobeys stores to close... Jun '14 IGA lost market share 1
•••
•••