Kroger Buying Shaw's?
First Prev
of 62
Next Last
Noise

Boise, ID

#1 Apr 15, 2010
Hearing strong rumors of Shaw's being bought out by Kroger..........thoughts?
john d

Naugatuck, CT

#2 Apr 16, 2010
Noise wrote:
Hearing strong rumors of Shaw's being bought out by Kroger..........thoughts?
Kroger is in strong negotiations, but it is with Big Y not Shaws. Supervalu already unloaded the Shaws stores in Ct. that were unprofitable.
Terry Wood

Machias, ME

#3 Apr 19, 2010
I understand that on May the 6th that Kroger is going to close on all the Shaws in New England.

Whether this will include Albertsons or not remains to be seen. Supervalu has been trying to unload a company that it has put into the dumps since it bought it 2 years ago.
Noise

Boise, ID

#4 Apr 21, 2010
Terry Wood wrote:
I understand that on May the 6th that Kroger is going to close on all the Shaws in New England.
Whether this will include Albertsons or not remains to be seen. Supervalu has been trying to unload a company that it has put into the dumps since it bought it 2 years ago.
That's what I'm hearing as well.........
Mikey C

Boise, ID

#5 Apr 21, 2010
Terry;
Where have these rumors originated? If they're true, what have you heard about changes?
Maven1

Brookline, MA

#6 Apr 30, 2010
Deal is closing next week, thank God.
elom

Boise, ID

#7 Apr 30, 2010
Wow Maven, where did you hear next week? That's huge!
Paul

Bedford, NH

#8 Apr 30, 2010
Something is closing next week but don't be so sure that it is all of Shaw's. I am hearing 40 stores to several buyers.
Game Boy

Andover, MA

#9 May 1, 2010
This cannot happen soon enough.
Associates in he stores are wondering about their future constantly.
One thing MUST happen.
New owner has to get the Shaws name off the building and attract new customers by lowering prices.If the new owner leaves the Shaws name=same old crap.
Maven1

Brookline, MA

#10 May 1, 2010
I never said they were buying ALL the stores...
Game Boy

Andover, MA

#11 May 1, 2010
I heard that that 4 stores are going to whole foods
(wellesly ,mit, beacon st.and wakefield. City market area and boston north to Kroger.
ANXIOUS

Buxton, ME

#12 May 1, 2010
just hope all the chain gets bought

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#13 May 2, 2010
Terry Wood wrote:
Things might be on hold,seems C&S is also involved and now there might be trouble.

Thursday, January 22, 2009
Supervalu faces collusion lawsuit
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - by Caleb Stevens Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

"Supervalu and C&S lawsuit"
Supervalu faces collusion lawsuit [01/22/2009]

A lawsuit filed against Supervalu Inc. alleges that the food distributor conspired with a competitor to decrease competition in the Midwest, forcing local supermarkets to pay more for products.

Mount Vernon, Iowa-based D&G Inc. filed the suit in Wisconsin federal court late last month, on behalf of itself and other local retailers. It claims that Eden Prairie, Minn.-based Supervalu (NYSE: SVU) and C&S Wholesale Grocers Inc., Keene, N.H., violated the Sherman Act by conspiring to allocate territories across the country when C&S agreed to not enter the Midwestern market if Supervalu exited New England.

The suit, filed by the law firm Kotchen & Low, calls a 2003 “asset swap” between the two wholesalers as “a conspiracy to allocate markets and refrain from competing.”

The swap consisted of Supervalu acquiring C&S’ Midwestern retailers and C&S acquiring Supervalu’s New England facilities.

After the swap both companies shut down the acquired distribution facilities and terminated approximately 1,000 employees. D&G alleges that these actions of the two suppliers were an attempt to acquire and maintain monopoly power in regional markets.

The alleged anti-competitive acts have forced local retailers to pay more for products because of the lack of competition, according to the suit.

Read more: Supervalu faces collusion lawsuit - The Business Journal of Milwaukee:
elom

Boise, ID

#14 May 3, 2010
Giantone - I think that article is from last year though...not sure how much applies now.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#15 May 3, 2010
elom wrote:
Giantone - I think that article is from last year though...not sure how much applies now.
Yup it is but it hasn't gone to court yet,with luck the first hearing should ne in August of 2010.
Terry Wood

Machias, ME

#16 May 3, 2010
Well, as I type all Shaw's employees are at peace over the pending sale to Krogers. Kroger merchandise has been arriving daily at the stores here in Maine.
Steve

North Dartmouth, MA

#17 May 3, 2010
is it the whole chain though, or just certain stores?
Noise

Boise, ID

#18 May 4, 2010
Terry Wood wrote:
Well, as I type all Shaw's employees are at peace over the pending sale to Krogers. Kroger merchandise has been arriving daily at the stores here in Maine.
Any detail on the type of merchandise? Signs/Fixtures/Products?
Terry Wood

Machias, ME

#19 May 4, 2010
C & S is no better then Supervalu, they took over a few stores in Vermont and NH and they have not thrived and are very expensive to shop in.
Liz

Milford, MA

#20 May 4, 2010
My husband and I currently work at Shaws. and we have heard alot of rumors. Hopefully it ends soon he was all ready laid off to part time with pay cut and hours reduce to 28 for both of us. So either way we need a new change to happen fast and for the better. If that means getting rid of the shaws name and prices im all for that!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 62
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Nov 15 Jane Parker Fruit... 42
Grocery Store Donation - why or why not? Nov 2 emnayo 1
News Feds sue Publix over dreadlocks ban Oct '17 canstacker 1
News Layoffs coming at Shaw's supermarkets: Chain to... (Nov '12) Sep '17 Stephen D Clark 7
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... Sep '17 a_visitor 5
Who does the shopping in your house? Do you? ... Sep '17 Sonja 1
News Ingles Markets, Incorporated (IMKTA) Reaches Ne... Aug '17 justwondering 1
More from around the web