Food stamp arrivals drive midnight run on groceries

Full story: LA Daily News

Once a month, just after midnight, the beeping checkout scanners at a Walmart just off Interstate 95 come alive in a chorus of financial desperation.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Jun 11, 2014
Adam

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 6, 2010
 
Oh, 5 kids? Really? Is there really a point in having 5 KIDS? And then complain you can't feed them all? I don't get it.
LSB

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 6, 2010
 
I work full time, pay my bills,rent, taxes, health care and other expenses that are necessary through out the month. I get no help from anyone for me and my daughter. I guess I earn too much money....and I can only dream about having around 200 dollars a month left out of my paycheck for groceries and tissue.
A Reptile Dysfunction

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 6, 2010
 
Well, Yobama has got 1 in 6 of us on the government teat now.

He'll be trying for 2 out of 3 soon.
When most of us are dependent, it's all over.
Do you Question Me

Mission Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 7, 2010
 
Haven't these people ever hear of condoms? Sheesh.
ILOVEOBAMA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 7, 2010
 
How can I get a free $600 a month? Oh, I just have to drop a bunch of kids and sit around home on my lazy azz all day watching Oprah! KEWL! Thanks American taxpayers!!
moneymiser

Antelope, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 7, 2010
 
Plenty of jobs available, trouble is the jobs are taken by the undocumented aliens. And the Gov't is making it too easy to be the victim, and once the stigma of having no father in the house and Uncle Sam takin' care of mama and the kidlets, don't you worry your little head,the Gummint will take care of you and your kids. Just vote the way we tell you and everything is going to be o.k. The next time you visit one of those fine fast food establishments, pay attention to the people behind the counter, more than likely the person is working 3 days at one hamburger dive and another 3 days at the chicken place, but they are working and earning a living, not on the dole.
I AM NOT LAZY

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 7, 2010
 
These people should not get any WELFARE if they have 3 or more kids. It is not our problem that they did not use protection. They should be getting a JOB that can support how many kids they want and if they can not support themselves they should not have kids. But OHH I forgot the GOVERNMENT is behind giving these people (TAX MONEY) to WASTE because they do not want them to get a JOB that can support their family.
I AM NOT LAZY

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 7, 2010
 
Adam wrote:
Oh, 5 kids? Really? Is there really a point in having 5 KIDS? And then complain you can't feed them all? I don't get it.
I agree 100% with this comment.
I work

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 7, 2010
 
The people with 5 and 6 kids are probably receiving WIC also which is for pregnant women and children under 5. They do not have to prove legal status. They get free milk, ceral, juices, and baby formula. This is on topof food stamps. Why do I work. I guess it was because I was raised to take care of yourself and not to expect handouts.
Kritikal Mess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 7, 2010
 
A few years ago, I was diagnosed with heart disease and diabetes, the latter of which has stolen a good protion of my eyesight. While I'm grateful for the food stamps I receive that help me through the month as I can no longer work, I always feel a little guilty when I read of how most people feel about food stamp recipients. I didn't have too many children, a drug or alcohol problem, and I didn't lie to get on the dole, I know, but it's a bite in the pride to ask for this kind of help.
Jane

Agoura Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 7, 2010
 
Do any of these folks ee a correlation between the large numbers of children they have and their financial struggle/? Seriously, 5 kids? 6 kids? Birth control is a lot cheaper.
Beth Davis

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 7, 2010
 
I have to question where the author of this article got their facts for I believe they simply are inaccurate and not true.

I'm reluctant to believe this happens once a month at WalMart or anywhere else because benefits (SSI, SSDI, TANF, and GA) are applied daily throughout each month; a person's monthly benefit date is based on date of birth. For example, my son's monthly benefit day is the 16th of each month and mine is the 5th. Not only that, benefits don't show up immediately at midnight on benefit days; they're available after 6:00 a.m. But that makes a far less dramatic story and headline ... "For Several Weeks Each Month, 6:00 a.m. Grocery Runs Capture Economic Desperation." And toilet paper cannot be purchased with food stamp benefits.

I'm not suggesting that economic desperation does not exist, for I know that it most definitely does. I just wish individuals would stick to the facts when trying to make a point, because the facts alone are dramatic enough. Fabricating details and creating visual images of desperate parents pushing their sleeping children around at midnight, with grocery carts stacked high with food and toilet paper (the amount of benefits is so pitifully low compared to the actual cost of food and supplies that I believe stacking even one cart full of food and supplies would be a challenge), and then rushing to check out before their carriage turns into a pumpkin at the strike of 12 does more of a disservice to people because it's simply not the truth ... at least it's not the truth that I've come to know.

This article suggests that parents are dragging their sleeping children to grocery stores in the middle of the night because if they wait until daylight hours, when children are at school, or at the very least AWAKE, the items with which they fill their grocery carts won't be there. Though many people do their shopping in the wee hours of the morning, it is my opinion (based on what I know/believe to be fact) that it's simply a choice they make, which is dependent upon personal preferences and schedules, etc.
Liar Raigosa

Thousand Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 7, 2010
 
1 i n 5 Amercicans get government checks. Where does it end (socialism)
Beth Davis

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 7, 2010
 
And a final comment which I want to direct specifically to individuals who have expressed criticism to food stamps recipients regarding the number of children in their family, employment status, etc., and I want to direct this comment to those who've placed themselves on pedestals because, in their life, they have not been in the position of needing to ask for help. I believe it sets a very dangerous precedent for anyone to judge how many children people should be allowed to have. I'll be the first to admit that based on my own personal belief system, "too many" children can be even one child if you're in a position that does not allow you to properly care for that child. But that doesn't give me the right to make that decision for others.

And now to the pedestal people who brag about how they've never asked for help ... My suggestion is this: Rather than criticize others, which really accomplishes a whole lot of nothing, how about giving thanks for the blessing of being able to take care of yourself and your family independently? Lastly, you may want to take note of your position on top of that pedestal of yours, for it is when you're up at the very top that you have no where else to go but DOWN. Stop criticizing others, and start expressing gratitude.

I learned the hard way that life can often take sudden and dramatic turns. I was a single mom, receiving no child support or government assistance, working two jobs to support myself and my son, and I did this for 15 years. And then I was faced with a serious, life-threatening illness which resulted in losing a great job that paid a good salary, provided health and other benefits, etc. It was nothing less than humiliating to go into that government office to beg for food stamps and other benefits, and it's taken more than a decade for me to recover from that illness to reach a point where I can now return to work and hopefully I will not need food stamps much longer. That is my goal.

But for now, I still receive those benefits, AT 6:00 A.M. ON THE 5TH DAY OF EACH MONTH. And just for those individuals who have so unkindly and unjustly criticized food stamps recipients, while also singing praises for themselves (rather than expressing gratitude for their good fortune), here's a virtual cookie from the virtual box of cookies I purchased with my food stamps benefits. Don't choke on it.
Beth Davis

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 7, 2010
 
Liar Raigosa wrote:
1 i n 5 Amercicans get government checks. Where does it end (socialism)
It end at the point that someone (you, perhaps?) comes up with a viable solution to the problem of unemployment in this country.

OK, so you say 1 in 5 Americans get government checks. So, what's your point? Better yet, what's your solution? I cannot help but see that you've resorted to Bush-esque fear tactics by using the word "socialism." Who cares what it's called, if it helps make the lives of desperate people better? You're going to have do a lot better than resorting to name-calling and fear tactics to solve any problem. How about actually having an idea for a viable solution?
Beth Davis

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 7, 2010
 
ILOVEOBAMA wrote:
How can I get a free $600 a month? Oh, I just have to drop a bunch of kids and sit around home on my lazy **** all day watching Oprah! KEWL! Thanks American taxpayers!!
Yes, great idea! Why don't you do that, please? Really, I do hope you will consider putting your words into action, and then let us all know just how well you're surviving on those free $600. And ... You're welcome.
Beth Davis

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 7, 2010
 
Jane wrote:
Do any of these folks ee a correlation between the large numbers of children they have and their financial struggle/? Seriously, 5 kids? 6 kids? Birth control is a lot cheaper.
You're making an assumption that the kids came after the financial struggle. That may or may not be the case, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Do you?
A Reptile Dysfunction

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 7, 2010
 
Beth Davis wrote:
<quoted text>
You're making an assumption that the kids came after the financial struggle. That may or may not be the case, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Do you?
You make a good case for people who truly need help through no fault of their own.

But unfortunately, I think we all know of people who abuse the system.
Basketball Mama

Wilbraham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 24, 2013
 
If there is a man in the house, he should be working 2 or 3 jobs if he has to, to make sure the family is taken care of. A real man does not depend on food stamps for his children.
Elizabeth

Raymore, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 11, 2014
 
Liar Raigosa wrote:
1 i n 5 Amercicans get government checks. Where does it end (socialism)
Hmm.. Does that include the soldiers, too?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Thu BarbaraW 1,196
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Aug 19 Star On 47 90
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Aug 19 Bubbletoes 3
Meijer donates $500,000 to American Red Cross a... Aug 7 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 1
Oakville Museum Hosts Emancipation Day Family P... Aug 4 today in Halton 1
Belleville shopper charged with sticking needle... Aug 4 The Decline Of St... 1
Tinley Park Jewel-Osco Salmonella Test Results ... Jul 24 concerned citizen 1

Search the Grocery Forum:
•••