Hartford Reserve is Great A&P' s new premium house brand

Posted in the Grocery Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Washington, DC

#1 Oct 21, 2008
Just wanted to let you know about Hartford Reserve, A&P, Waldbaum's and Super Fresh's new private label brand.

I tried the delicious apple pie, store baked, and it is YUMMMO.

The juices stay in the 5 varieties of apples, the crust is buttery and flakey, with no trans-fats.

Great eating.
ginny

Ozone Park, NY

#2 Dec 11, 2008
I too tried the scrumptious 5 apple pie and found it to be terrible. I asked 5 different people to try it and the response was the same: something was wrong with the taste. We threw out more than half of the $10.00 pie. It looked delicious but was very bad. I wouldn't buy it again.
tml100

West Chester, PA

#3 Dec 27, 2008
Our family very much enjoyed this apple pie, to be perfectly honest it probably was the very best apple pie I ever ate, better than our local orchard. I hope our store in Boothwyn Pa. continues making these pies.
Sharon

AOL

#4 Dec 28, 2008
aptea1859 wrote:
Just wanted to let you know about Hartford Reserve, A&P, Waldbaum's and Super Fresh's new private label brand.
I tried the delicious apple pie, store baked, and it is YUMMMO.
The juices stay in the 5 varieties of apples, the crust is buttery and flakey, with no trans-fats.
Great eating.
I just bought the Hartford Reserve apple pie and was so disappointed. First of all, it was $9.00.. so it wasnt super cheap like an entenman's.. and there were so many pits and hard pieces from the apple core in the pie that I actually cut the roof of my mouth! Did a five year old bake this or what??/
Sharon

AOL

#5 Dec 28, 2008
Unhappy with the Hartford Reserve Pie. It was loaded with pits and core from the apple.. it seemed like they used the whole apple.. and didnt do a great job prepping to make a good pie.
I know, it was 9 bucks, not 20 bucks..but still.. to get pits and rinds in a pie is just not good!!
Jasmine

Paterson, NJ

#6 Jan 6, 2009
Just finished my first slice, loved it. Possibly the best apple pie I've ever had. Maybe since they're store-baked, everyone's A&P does it different. Thanks A&P in Montclair for the delicious pie.
NYC hartford reserve pie

Ridgewood, NY

#7 Feb 14, 2009
I don't think the pie I bought was cooked in the store. It came from Food Emporium in NYC in an elegant looking recycled paper black box. The box says it was distributed by some company in NJ. Definitely the best apple pie I have ever tasted. No problem with pits or core. I went back and bought a second. I'm eating way too much pie.
barbara and jack

West New York, NJ

#8 Feb 25, 2009
We absolutely love the hartford reserve apple pie. Have been staunch supporters of Mrs. Smiths deep dish, but find this pie equal in flavor and like the fact that the apples are a little al'dente. Keep up the good work.
gdavid kenilworth NJ

Cranford, NJ

#9 Aug 1, 2009
My husband purchased Hartford Reserve pie at a local A&P It was the most delicious apple we have ever eaten. I bake my own pies but this was even better than some I have baked. We will certainly purchase one again. We didn't find any pits or cores in our pie. I don't know where it was baked in store or elsewhere. We had it pantry for approximately 4-5 days after purchase and it was still as fresh as the day we bought it according to my son. Hopefully our A&P will carry this pie for a long time to come.
Mrspiebaker

United States

#10 Aug 15, 2009
Bought one on a manager's special a few months ago...half off...on the pull date and it was PERFECTLY delicious..not pits or cores. Yesterday, I bought 5 of them marked down and put in the freezer. Heated in the oven in a pie dish (easily removed from the cheap foil) they are excellent. I bake great pies, but I can't bake one for the price of one of these at half off. Try one...they are very, very good for a store baked pie.
William

Toms River, NJ

#11 Aug 18, 2009
I don't understand the negative comments. I have personally eaten about 6 of these pies and love them. My only complaint is that they don't make any other fruit pies!
andreajane

AOL

#12 Sep 4, 2009
I must say.........NEVER do I comment about products whether I like or not.......BUT....... I will this time, I happen to see this pie as a Managers Special for 50% off so I figured for $4.50 if its bad not big deal..... I took it home and I have to say this was by far the BEST Apple Pie I have EVER had!!! I always make my own and this is I hate to say better than My own! So I actually went 3 days later and paid full price which is totally worth it because even to make your own it would cost more! So 5 stars ALL the WAY!!!!!!!!!!
curious

Gardenville, PA

#13 Oct 9, 2009
how is their american cheese? is it anything like land o' lakes'?
Roy

Belleville, NJ

#14 Oct 10, 2009
What's the nutritional value of this pie (salt, fat, sugar)?? It does'nt say on label and any product that does not provide this info is garbage.
nyc ac

Jackson Heights, NY

#15 Oct 14, 2009
YUM! this is hands down the best apple pie i've ever had. i couldn't believe it was so cheap!$5 for half a pie.
Marge

AOL

#16 Oct 17, 2009
can the hartford reserve apple pie b frozen?
curious

Gardenville, PA

#17 Oct 17, 2009
Marge wrote:
can the hartford reserve apple pie b frozen?
any apple pie can be frozen. just make sure it's sealed well before going into the freezer. i wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then into a zipper bag. thaw it in the fridge for a couple of days. leave it out on the counter unwrapped til it's room temp. throw it in a 300 degree oven for about an hour and it will taste like it was just baked.
Roy

Belleville, NJ

#18 Oct 18, 2009
We're looking for healthcare reform so that almost everyone will be covered but, whats the point in being covered if you don't know what you're eating. So you've got health care but consistantly increase its cost by increasing demand for said services because you're eating garbage.
What's the point.
catlover

West Hempstead, NY

#19 Oct 27, 2009
Best apple pie I've ever tasted! I bake apple pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year, but will be buying these from now on as they are as good as mine, & I like their crust better than mine. It's light and flaky and stays that way with each daily warmed up slice! I bought my first pie a week ago & have been enjoying a warmed slice each day for breakfast!

I'm about to eat the last piece & wanted to google Hartford Reserve before I tossed out the box to get info about the company.

And no pits or cores etc. I don't know why those reviews - maybe something went haywire back in Jan when those reviews were written, or someone has a grudge and wrote comments in numerous names.

This is the best pie - I didn't think any store bought pie could "best" mine, but this one does!
catlover

West Hempstead, NY

#20 Oct 27, 2009
ginny wrote:
I too tried the scrumptious 5 apple pie and found it to be terrible. I asked 5 different people to try it and the response was the same: something was wrong with the taste. We threw out more than half of the $10.00 pie. It looked delicious but was very bad. I wouldn't buy it again.
Just what was wrong with the taste? Bitter? Sour? Too sweet? Without telling us just what bothered you, your comments lack credibility.
If the pie I bought "tasted wrong", I wouldn't have another 5 people taste it, I would simple return it for credit. And I would write a more explicit review.
Your comments aren't valid in my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) 19 hr Tim D 1,205
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Jan 23 Jackson 43
A&P headquarters building in Montvale is for sale Jan 16 Huntington Hartford 2
Publix to offer insurance benefits to legally m... Jan 1 Pattysboi 16
Baxters Royal Game Soup (Nov '11) Jan 1 Griff 2
Publix to offer insurance benefits to legally m... Dec '14 DNF 10
Former pro hockey player puts Penticton crimina... Dec '14 arena debt criminal 1
More from around the web