Publix to offer 7 popular prescription antibiotics for free -- ...

Seven popular antibiotics will be available for free from Publix supermarkets for people with prescriptions, the company and Gov. Full Story
LONGLIVEREGAN

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Aug 6, 2007
Axl wrote:
Universal health care in the USA now!!!!!

Real smart idea! I can't wait to pay half my salary in federal taxes so that I can buy health insurance or all the non working bums in our country.
Anonymous

Lincolnshire, IL

#23 Aug 6, 2007
Kudos to Publix, this is a great start. Publix is a great company in this state.
Jeff R

Ocala, FL

#25 Aug 6, 2007
Hopefully this does not take us one step closer to a super bug when doctors incorrectly prescribe (or patients ask for) these drugs for viral infections.
truth hurts

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#26 Aug 6, 2007
I can hear it now, the Repuglicans will be screaming bloody murder that Publix is a communist company tied to Chavez and Castro, Gov. Christ is bighting his lip for sure, it really cracks me up that he is supporting this Un-American act of kindness.
John

United States

#27 Aug 6, 2007
Now what are they going to do with those $6.00 a gallon Milk?

I just went to a Target Supercenter, so much better and cheaper, Can someone tells me why people keep shopping at Publix?
DFC

Mount Dora, FL

#28 Aug 6, 2007
Mom of High schooler wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you read the article?
Yes, I did.
CaptAmerica

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#29 Aug 6, 2007
ever hear of a superbug? thats the reason these items are no longer effective
Lori

Orlando, FL

#30 Aug 6, 2007
That's nice for those who need anitibotics as they are extremely expensive as are all prescription drugs. The way I see this though, is it isn't even equivalent to a band-aid on the problem of healthcare and prescription costs. What about some help for people who have NO healthcare benefits of any kind? When is that issue going to be honestly addressed?
beach gal

Pompano Beach, FL

#31 Aug 6, 2007
APR wrote:
<quoted text>
and some of the oldest one around.. these drugs are not used as frequently as newer, better meds
but these are the drugs you will get under National Health insurance. So be careful what you wish for.
Kilgore Trout

Longwood, FL

#32 Aug 6, 2007
To avoid you,John.
anonymous

Boca Raton, FL

#33 Aug 6, 2007
I don't know why I've been dropping all my prescriptions off at walgreens all these years. They tell you to come back in a few hours. At publix atleast I can get my prescriptions filled while I shop!
beach gal

Pompano Beach, FL

#34 Aug 6, 2007
Axl wrote:
Universal health care in the USA now!!!!!
You're an idiot. That $250 a week take home pay will be about $171 with Universal Health Care.
Allison

United States

#35 Aug 6, 2007
John wrote:
I just went to a Target Supercenter, so much better and cheaper, Can someone tells me why people keep shopping at Publix?
Publix does not charge $6.00 a gallon for milk. Unless you're drinking some fancy imported enriched sheep soy flavored goat milk, I don't know ANYWHERE that charges $6.00 a gallon.

I shop at Publix for several reasons. One, I worked there in college and it was the best retail job I've ever had. Two, they are a lot cheaper and have better sales than any other grocery store in the area. Three, while Super Target (which I ALSO worked for in college, and was the WORST retail job I've ever had) and Super Wal-Mart may have cheaper groceries, I'm not a big fan of having my ice cream melt while I wait in line for 45 minutes to check out.

So I applaud Publix for taking the initiative and having some free prescription drugs available. And while they may be the oldest, most basic antibiotics, it's more than any other retailer is doing, and nothing works better when I have strep throat.

People need to stop complaining about GOOD things. Save your bitterness for the REAL problems in the world.
billberna

Ruston, LA

#36 Aug 6, 2007
Talk about overprescribing antibiotics. I have two friends who go to the doctor at their first sign of a sniffle, complain to the doc that they are working moms, and please prescribe them a Z-Pak. And the doctor, who is afraid to say "no" for some reason, actually gives them the prescription, even though there is no proof that they even need it. Works every time. This drives me crazy.
jlc--mamacita

Longwood, FL

#37 Aug 6, 2007
John wrote:
Well, for parents of very young children who are on the W.I.C.(Women, Infants and Children) program, you'll find that Target doesn't accept the W.I.C. checks. They're excuse is "people who shop here don't qualify for W.I.C."

Since Publix Milk and Target Milk is of the same quality (Walmart milk tastes terrible), Publix becomes the goto choice for young mothers.

Another reason is that not every area has a Target Supercenter. And still another reason is that many people do not like wandering around a Supercenter when they want to pick up just a few items.

Since: May 07

orlando, fl

#38 Aug 6, 2007
beach gal wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. That $250 a week take home pay will be about $171 with Universal Health Care.
Maybe this person cares more about everyone than about what they take home for a paycheck...so, maybe they aren't an idiot...maybe we as Americans care too much about money for ourselves!
Randall

Chicago, IL

#39 Aug 6, 2007
In this new medical world of strains of drug-resistant disease, a program of free anitbiotics appears a knee-jerk reaction which may possibly contribute to more drug-resisant strains of disease.
Kristy Kelly

Saint Petersburg, FL

#41 Aug 6, 2007
Forever? Why doesn't it say how long or if it is forever? And what about prescriptions that were wrote before this started, actually WHEN did it start? Or has it? Thanks Publix but 2 thumbs down to the reporter who wrote this. Not much information was given & that information was the factual important info.

Since: May 07

orlando, fl

#42 Aug 6, 2007
John wrote:
I shope at Publix because it's the closest, it's the cleanest, and they have the friendliest workers at the location that I go to that I've ever seen in my life...I actually am amazed how friendly they are.

Also, one day my wife and I both bought peanut butter, jelly, and bread; I bought them from publix and she bought them at winn-dixxie. publix happened to be a few cents cheaper for each item (I was suprised at this!).
Randall

Chicago, IL

#43 Aug 6, 2007
beach gal wrote:
<quoted text>
We currently have 'socialized' or 'universal' firemen, policement and teachers and as a matter of fact, Medicare B is 94% efficient, so you may want to think through your rigid stance on 'universl' health care.

If you view health care as a part of a nation's infrastructure (secondary education as well) you may find this is a valid cost of civilazation.

How sadly ironic that our nations infrastructure is in the same state as our nation's health care system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Sep 29 Kentucky-Mitch 63
A&P completes refinancing of senior debt Sep 23 Joe Sheridan 2
DePiero Farm trial to resume next month Sep 13 Worldczar 2
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Aug '14 Redman 41
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Aug '14 BarbaraW 1,196
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Aug '14 Star On 47 90
Meijer donates $500,000 to American Red Cross a... Aug '14 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 1

Grocery People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE