Downtown O'Malia's gets new name with...

Downtown O'Malia's gets new name with face-lift

There are 46 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 3, 2007, titled Downtown O'Malia's gets new name with face-lift. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

After undergoing a $3 million update that changed everything from its front door to its checkout counters, the pioneering O'Malia's grocery in Downtown Indianapolis also gets renamed this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kumar

Brownsburg, IN

#1 Dec 4, 2007
"The rebranding, to Marsh the Marketplace at Lockerbie, doesn't signal the end of the O'Malia's name, which remains on five other stores."

Yeah, right. Goodbye O'malias, to be followed in a few years by the Marsh name....

On a positive note, the open till 2 a.m. part is good stuff.
Jay

United States

#3 Dec 4, 2007
The downtown O'Malias was horrible. Low light, dirty, incredibly slow checkout people. I've never seen such r words.
JulesinIndy

Kenosha, WI

#4 Dec 4, 2007
Hooray! Finally! Three Cheers for Capital Partners for being proactive and giving the downtown grocery a major and LONG over-due facelift including a store whose traffic flows well, improved selection, and much IMPROVE produce selection that is actually fresh.

Why other grocery store chains and competitors have not taken the advantage to position themselves to downtown consumers and workers is beyond me. Where is Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. Clueless?

Why is this city's planners and economic leaders so s-l-o-w to provide initiative and actions to create a vibrant downtown retail district? Open your eyes - you're leaving money on the table from downtown to Garfield Park. Build it and they will come...as was evident at Marsh/O'Malia's last night. Six lanes open and each had at least 6-8 customers waiting patiently to check out.

Better late than never...

JulesinIndy
The Depot

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Dec 4, 2007
JulesinIndy wrote:
Hooray! Finally! Why other grocery store chains and competitors have not taken the advantage to position themselves to downtown consumers and workers is beyond me. Where is Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. Clueless?
Why is this city's planners and economic leaders so s-l-o-w to provide initiative and actions to create a vibrant downtown retail district? Open your eyes - you're leaving money on the table from downtown to Garfield Park. Build it and they will come...as was evident at Marsh/O'Malia's last night. Six lanes open and each had at least 6-8 customers waiting patiently to check out.
Better late than never...
JulesinIndy
Jules, the reason so few grocers have located in the downtown area is that there are not very many people who live downtown who can afford Marsh, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. Indianapolis has a gentrification process in the works, but it is decades away from being able to support more that one or two grocers. I'm afraid that you're going to need to go north for your yuppie food needs for the forseeable future.
JDC

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Dec 4, 2007
The changes to the downtown store are fantastic!!! I've gone from stopping there occasionally for milk to buying all my groceries there.

Good job Marsh!

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Dec 4, 2007
The Depot wrote:
<quoted text>
...the reason so few grocers have located in the downtown area is that there are not very many people who live downtown who can afford Marsh, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.
I'm sorry, but that is a pretty ludicrous statement. O'Malia's prices have been far and away more expensive than other stores in Indianapolis. So, how, if the prices are so high and it successful enough to justify a $3 million renovation, can you say that we can't afford Whole Foods?

Plus, O'Malia's and now Marsh survived when it wasn't surrounded by condos, but now it pretty much has a built in base. This is not to mention the growth in population from Chatham Arch up to Fall Creek Place. These are NOT cheap homes, and for the most part, there are few vacancies.

The downtown is no longer a ghetto. You would be surprised at what we can afford.

With that being said, I love how it has been renovated. It is a very nice store, and the move to being open until 2am is fantastic.
truthseeker

Elmhurst, IL

#9 Dec 4, 2007
The Depot wrote:
<quoted text>
Jules, the reason so few grocers have located in the downtown area is that there are not very many people who live downtown who can afford Marsh, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. Indianapolis has a gentrification process in the works, but it is decades away from being able to support more that one or two grocers. I'm afraid that you're going to need to go north for your yuppie food needs for the forseeable future.
Trader Joe's is not expensive per item but usually one buys a lot of stuff in there. All stores except save-a-little and Aldi's are priced the same
truthseeker

Elmhurst, IL

#10 Dec 4, 2007
JDC wrote:
The changes to the downtown store are fantastic!!! I've gone from stopping there occasionally for milk to buying all my groceries there.
Good job Marsh!
They dont have the same selection as O'malia did. Only regular chain stuff
Old Northside Resident

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Dec 4, 2007
As a longtime downtown resident, I can't tell you how thrilled we are to have the improved Marsh grocery store as an option.

I completely disagree with those who say that downtown couldn't support more such retail options however. With professionals living in well-established historic neighborhoods such as Lockerbie, Chatham Arch, the Old Northside, Fletcher Place, and Herron Morton - and now with all of the condominium residents on Mass Ave and nearby new construction, the population with buying power exists and the available choices are shameful.
Just Dave

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Dec 4, 2007
An unfortunate decision on the name change from a sentimental standpoint but wise from a branding perspective. The face lift is long overdue. That store has been more critical to the success of the area's gentrification than it has been given credit for; now that the area is booming, the Marsh brand can get a lift from its investment.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#13 Dec 4, 2007
With Marsh increasing sells in its downtown store, I want to ask you to do something for me. When you see that big semi on Vermont street, don't be in such a hurry and give me some ROOM!!!
Long Time Indy Downtowner

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 4, 2007
Good job O'Malia's (Marsh...whatever). The store looks great. The new selections are refreshing. Please lower prices now so they are in-line with your stores in the suburbs. If Downtowners need another grocer for this to happen, so be it. Hopefully a competitor will come downtown soon.
Naptowner

Duncan, OK

#15 Dec 4, 2007
Just Dave wrote:
An unfortunate decision on the name change from a sentimental standpoint but wise from a branding perspective. The face lift is long overdue. That store has been more critical to the success of the area's gentrification than it has been given credit for; now that the area is booming, the Marsh brand can get a lift from its investment.
The Marsh brand is pathetic, always has been and always will be. The store remodeling is a good sign, the re-branding is not.
BigBoxHater

United States

#16 Dec 4, 2007
Being a big box hater here in Columbus, I rotate my bi weekly grocery shopping trips between Aldi, Save-A-Lot and Marsh (which was recenly renovated).
I find more brands to chose from and better prices shopping at those 3 stores than can be found when shopping at one store alone.
If I was stuck living in that area of Indy, Marsh would be the #1 store for me.
The Depot

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Dec 4, 2007
truthseeker wrote:
<quoted text>Trader Joe's is not expensive per item but usually one buys a lot of stuff in there. All stores except save-a-little and Aldi's are priced the same
Gee, I can't wait until a new Trader Joe's opens up downtown! I can buy some 5 year Gouda to go with my MD 20/20 as I set out on the curb waiting to get back into the shelter. Supermarkets should serve the communities. While there are indeed more Professionals downtown than their used to be, you guys are still a small minority- to see what I mean, drive down Capitol Ave from Fall Creek Pkwy., or cruise the Fountain Square district (which is terribly impoverished once you leave the renovation area). A couple of Aldi stores would serve the area better than TJ's, Wild Oats, etc.
New Palasteen Farmboy

Schiller Park, IL

#18 Dec 4, 2007
A final thank you to the O'Malia family for taking that big step 20 plus years ago and putting a store downtown. You folks were the only ones willing to go for it and take the risks associated. Todays shoppers should long remember your pioneering efforts for the City and its downtown/inner city residents. Good job !!

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Dec 4, 2007
I am going to assume that Sour Grapes lives in Carmel. As a downtown resident, I'm offended by your elitism, and I have lived down here for 10 years (my entire professional life, thanks).

Yes, there are still poor people down here, but guess what, there are actually poor people everywhere. And as far as shelters, I am sorry that you feel that helping people is a negative. A whole world exists beyond the bubble around you.
Homeless Bum

Chicago, IL

#20 Dec 4, 2007
Yo - ya need mo flavors of MD20/20 and Ol' Red Eye.
Oh ya sure

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Dec 4, 2007
I remember when O'malias opened downtown. What a great store! But, over the years it was neglected and the look, the staff, and the service went waaaaay downhill. I stopped shopping there because of that. Maybe I'll give it another try now.
Greg

Redwood City, CA

#22 Dec 4, 2007
I still say bring a Super Target downtown. That way you could buy groceries
along with clothing or furniture all in one stop!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Jan 13 is more trouble c... 16
Private Label Research Project Jan 5 Anonymous 1
News Giant Eagle closures Jan 4 They cannot kill ... 7
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Jan 2 Akbar Beyah 45
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '16 Michelle 96
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Oct '16 Vinnie 1,222
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 12
More from around the web