Publix Buys Food City
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#41 Jul 22, 2009
Anybody got any evidence yet? Didn't think so.
joe

White Pine, TN

#42 Jul 23, 2009
Captain America wrote:
I doubt Publix would flat out deny it if it was true. They would probably have dodged the question or said no comment instead of lying. My feeling is that there were probably some talks, but they didn't go that far because of Publix lack of interest in all the areas KVAT operates in. But I could be wrong. So we'll just wait and see.
I can tell you that Publix will not tell you anything until the deal is completed. I am an employee of Publix and I know from past experience that they say nothing and tell no one anything until it is a done deal. One of the comments talked about what type of place Publix was to work for. They are fantastic. I wouldn't want to work any where else. They treat every one like family.
fc worker

Knoxville, TN

#43 Jul 23, 2009
i am part of the management team at a food city store..silence speaks volumn when u ask a question to someone higher and they sidestep the question with a round about answer..steve smith released a statement stating the company would not be sold during his lifetime, i believe thats way to keep it hush hush a little longer ..but with what i see in business trends over the last couple of years food city is holding their own really good but the variety of product compared to private label products have completely flopped. 3 private labels to 1 national brand...alot of the food city and food club products are being deleted quickly from the store shelves...my own opinion and belief is this steve smith will sell the food city stores and some tractor and trailers, but he will keep the distribution center and super dollar stores....he will use the distribution center as a way make pure profit from publix or whomever would like to store items at the warehouses...that is a way that steve smith can stay in the grocery business and make good money with little work..back to basic principles of retail stores...he has the storage capaciy to serve over 100 stores with ease great location next to the interstate what a way to make awesome and quick cash with little hassel...i believe an annoucement will come monday after the fall night race...that food city has officially been sold to publix..
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#44 Jul 25, 2009
For those of you interested in fact, I have an interesting one. Mr. Smith was in one of his Knoxville stores with a representative from Bi-Lo. I know this to be true as I know several employees at that store. It has been rumored for a while now that Food City was looking at acquiring the Bi-Lo stores further west into TN. So it looks like there may be something to that. Also, I'm not sure where people are getting this silence stuff from because every higher up connection I have in the company has said the Publix rumor is BS. I could be wrong though. I can say for a fact that a Bi-Lo rep was in one the the Knoxville stores with Mr. Smith.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#45 Jul 25, 2009
Captain America.. Good point.... It's hard to believe that FC has not been fishing for a buyer.. Too many LARGE chain execs saying there is talk within the grocery industry itself... That is usually a sign of fire where there is smoke...But, as you say who knows?
Captain America wrote:
For those of you interested in fact, I have an interesting one. Mr. Smith was in one of his Knoxville stores with a representative from Bi-Lo. I know this to be true as I know several employees at that store. It has been rumored for a while now that Food City was looking at acquiring the Bi-Lo stores further west into TN. So it looks like there may be something to that. Also, I'm not sure where people are getting this silence stuff from because every higher up connection I have in the company has said the Publix rumor is BS. I could be wrong though. I can say for a fact that a Bi-Lo rep was in one the the Knoxville stores with Mr. Smith.
Florida Southern

San Antonio, FL

#46 Jul 26, 2009
It's kind of funny that bi-lo rep were in a Food city store? Publix has already bought a good number of Bi-lo stores in the past and are already makes a nice profit off of those stores which Bi-lo could not. I know something is huge going on at Publix because they have stopped showing new store openings and last friday they had a big meeting. The last couple of times they did this, Publix bought a bunch of stores from other grocery chains. I know that Publix has applied for business licences in Kentuckey and Virginia so whats this mean??? To the naive and ones who really don't understand about Publix, they are very well in $$$$$$$ and like I said before their pockets are deep and seems like they have no bottom when it comes to money. Food City more than likely have been bought out and will become the new Publix stores !!!!!!!!!!
Daytona Employee

San Antonio, FL

#47 Jul 26, 2009
Just a hint to everyone, I work with the Nascar Administration and we have been confirmed that this year will be the last year Food City will sponser the Food City 500 race. Do not know what this means but doesn't sound good for FC employees!!!!
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#48 Jul 27, 2009
I have been told that Food City may indeed be buying the Bi-Lo stores in the Chattanooga area. Publix is supposedly also interested in those stores as well. So Mr. Smith may be moving to acquire them before Publix does. As for the Food City 500, its been common knowledge around the stores that Mr. Smith wasn't going to renew his contract with the track because of the extreme cost that goes with it. Also, I haven't been able to find any info to confirm that Publix has applied for business licenses in KY and VA, so if anyone has any proof of that please post a link.
Food City Employee

Nashville, TN

#49 Jul 29, 2009
So here's what I have heard so far:

Food City is publicly denying the sell to their employees (as they did with the Bi-Lo buyout). A few vendors state that they have received word from their parent companies that there is a buyout happening, but of only the TN stores as of right now. A friend of mine that works in Publix in Chattanooga, TN has also heard the rumors, but his managers/supervisors "are tight-lipped about it" (his words).

As far as Publix not having holdings in the Knoxville area... that is totally false. They acquired land at the Turkey Creek area of West Knoxville/West Knox County a little over a year ago.
Publcon

United States

#50 Jul 29, 2009
If we come to Knoxville, the best thing will be to sell, if we want to buy. If we find the location we will build.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#51 Jul 29, 2009
Food City is not spending on any new capital unless already underway... Proof >>> look around...
Captain America wrote:
I have been told that Food City may indeed be buying the Bi-Lo stores in the Chattanooga area. Publix is supposedly also interested in those stores as well. So Mr. Smith may be moving to acquire them before Publix does. As for the Food City 500, its been common knowledge around the stores that Mr. Smith wasn't going to renew his contract with the track because of the extreme cost that goes with it. Also, I haven't been able to find any info to confirm that Publix has applied for business licenses in KY and VA, so if anyone has any proof of that please post a link.
Florida Southern

San Antonio, FL

#52 Jul 29, 2009
Publix is coming to a store near you! KVAT will never be the same any more, the real deal is coming.
Cecil Baker

London, KY

#53 Jul 31, 2009
Hello everyone, I would just like to see some proof that the company that I am employed by has sold out. Mr. Smith said It wouldn't for sale in his lifetime.
Florida Southern

AOL

#54 Jul 31, 2009
He said "it probably wouldn't be for sale in his lifetime". Notice the word "probably" in his statement !!!
Cecil Baker wrote:
Hello everyone, I would just like to see some proof that the company that I am employed by has sold out. Mr. Smith said It wouldn't for sale in his lifetime.
Cecil Baker

London, KY

#55 Jul 31, 2009
You are correct on that, but do you have proof that is or going to be sold?
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#56 Aug 1, 2009
I think the real true lack of 100% true denial says it all.... How does the old song go? take the money and run...
Cecil Baker wrote:
You are correct on that, but do you have proof that is or going to be sold?
Cecil Baker

London, KY

#57 Aug 1, 2009
I was employeed by Piggly Wiggly when then sold out to Food City in the 90's. Piggly Wiggly's DM told me there was no truth in the sale two days before it happen. So this could go either way. I just hope all of KVATs associates have a job at the end of this.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#58 Aug 1, 2009
I agree
Cecil Baker wrote:
I was employeed by Piggly Wiggly when then sold out to Food City in the 90's. Piggly Wiggly's DM told me there was no truth in the sale two days before it happen. So this could go either way. I just hope all of KVATs associates have a job at the end of this.
Cecil Baker

London, KY

#59 Aug 4, 2009
Any new news on this subject guys or proof?
Florida Southern

AOL

#60 Aug 4, 2009
I work for Publix and this past weekend there were at least ten vehicles with Virgina licence plates parked at our training room facility. This is just another issue to wonder if we have bought out Food City????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shopping cart repair and maintenance May 19 caremnt 1
News OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... (Nov '14) May 18 Dude 6
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver May 17 Victor 2
News A spa and grocer in one (Jan '07) May 14 holmes 2
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) May 12 will 1,207
News Four N.C.-based supermarket chains rank among n... Apr '15 wittlecher 1
News Marsh shakes up management, closes stores (Feb '06) Apr '15 Sayso 3
More from around the web