Captain America

Columbia, TN

#21 Jun 30, 2009
That's my point. I don't think they would flat out lie. They would have just gave some answer about always looking to expand or something. But not a flat out denial. The bottom line is this: No one has any concrete info, and the only official response we have to go on, is a denial by Publix. Our district manager was asked, and he responded by rolling his eyes, so I don't think he puts too much stock into the rumor. Some of the rumors are that Mr. Smith is just keeping his Super Dollars. Well, that one sounds pretty dumb to me. Those stores aren't doing near as well as the company had hoped, and why would he keep those just to compete with a store down the road he used to own? It just isn't logical. This rumor is growing new absurdities every day. I've even heard one that he's going to buy Bristol Motor Speedway. I know he's a wealthy guy, but I highly doubt Bruton Smith is interested in selling his most popular speedway. I guess we'll just wait and see. I'm not believing anything until I hear something more than rumor. Every source I have in Knoxville and Tri-Cities mgmt says its BS. And one of those guys, I'd trust that if he says it, he believes it. They could be being mislead too though. So who knows.
rebel yell

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Jun 30, 2009
ok-so I'm an employee too and all the things that you have been hearing, so have I. But just remember that there is no deal until it is done. Think about the purchase of the BI-LO stores in Knoxville a few years ago- any rumor that circulated was discredited until the BI-LO stores were bought and it was made public knowledge. If it's true, and when the company wants to make it public, they will. Just glad to have job right now.
Employee wrote:
I also am a FC employee. I feel kind of weird about posting here.
I've heard these rumors really strongly for about 3 weeks now.
I have asked everyone I can about it
including supervisors. They all say the same thing...they think it's a rumor started by a vendor. But, they also say they aren't sure it ISN'T true. I know when FC bought the Bi-Lo stores it was like this. We heard the rumors for a long time and then it reached a fever pitch like now. And then it was announced.
One of the best ways of finding out for sure it to ask your FC drivers. They have their ears to the ground and they are the first to know about changes in the warehouse, the way things are being ordered, stocked, etc.
They are also given the heads up about route changes, etc.
I'm going crazy trying to find out, too, just like my co-workers, but I don't know how to find out anything concrete.
Has anyone tried to contact Food City's corporate office by phone? email? I'll admit I don't have the guts to do it, but I just wonder what they would say? A flat out denial? No comment? Why would Publix
flat out say that rumors of a buy out are false? Why not just skirt that particular question?
Tn Express

AOL

#23 Jun 30, 2009
People, I spent many years in the retail on both side of the fence as management and as a employee, and twice rumors of a company buy out; both the company drivers and the vendors heard information first. As a manager loss lips sink ship/careers, and vendors hear every thing that goes on in a company before it happens. I'm an vendor in both Nashville and Knoxville and I hear alot of stuff.
Yes, Publix is very picky about who they hire, but their associates get paid well, and have ownership in a very stable company. I know many DSD receivers who can retire early with a fortune to live off for a long time. Publix health insurance is very reasonable and pays unlike any I have heard of. So if you make the grade I would work for them.
Knox News

United States

#24 Jul 1, 2009
I believe that it is safe to say, Food City is NOT for sale:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jul/01/food...

“There’s absolutely no truth to it. Our company is not for sale and probably won’t be at least in my lifetime,” Smith said.
Tn Express

AOL

#25 Jul 1, 2009
Considering, how many famous people that have died in the last couple weeks, were will the Smith Family be receiving family and friends at??
just curious

Bristol, TN

#26 Jul 1, 2009
Tn Express wrote:
Considering, how many famous people that have died in the last couple weeks, were will the Smith Family be receiving family and friends at??

nice
KVAT loyalist

Bristol, VA

#27 Jul 2, 2009
I love following the rumor mill. I have been an employee for nearly 20 years, and I can't count how many times these types of rumors get started, some just live longer than others. A case of Kroger private label flour shows up in the warehouse, suddenly Krogers is buying us. We started selling water to Food Lion, and Food lion was buying us. Some brain-dead vendor or broker rep working with a reset crew heard that Publix may be looking to move into Knoxville, and suddenly we've been sold again.
Look at the feasability of the scenario before panic ensues - Grocery stores are not bought and sold at a premium. When Food City bought White's Foods, Winn-Dixie, and Bi-Lo stores, it was because they were a good price for under-performing or mis-managed locations. All of those have been turned into good locations for Food City (*and look at where Winn-Dixie, and Bi-Lo are at today).
You could buy stong performers like Food City, but the cost of buying the business is often far too much to consider. And if they are performing, why sell them in the first place?
If you work for Food City, you have most likely met Mr. Smith, Mr. Lewis, or Mr. Helms at some point. They all really seem like they love the business - and they woudl all be out of a job if they sold.
These and other reasons are why rumors never add up.
mocfunky

Maryville, TN

#28 Jul 5, 2009
I use to work at Food City and I live near Knoxville.. but Publix buying out Food City has nothing to do with Knoxville.. since K-VA-T's main office is in Virginia.. So if they bought out Food City it would not be based around Knoxville it would be in Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee since that is what K-VA-T stands for
Adnor Nilknarf

Knoxville, TN

#29 Jul 11, 2009
I love Publix. I was raised in Florida and worked for them in high school. My Mom has one in Charleston, SC and we just got back from vacation in Destin, Florida where they have the most beautifully laid out Publix I've ever been in. I've always wanted to see Publix come to Knoxville. I was in a West Knoxville Kroger's this evening and the cashier mentioned that Food City was being bought by Publix. That would be awesome. The Food City that is down the street from my house has gone down hill ever since they took over from Bi-Lo. I refuse to shop there any more. Would love to see Publix come to town; Knoxville would love it!
Tamii

Oak Ridge, TN

#30 Jul 12, 2009
hey there to all wondering .. yes publix did buy out food city and the change is suppose to take place sometime after the food city 500 race. my oldest brother is good friends with one of the store manager's in florida where they are more widesspread. He said they offer better benefits to their employees and better service.
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#31 Jul 12, 2009
Actually, no they didn't buy Food City. Steve Smith has taken already denied it, and there have been some articles about it in the paper. If it was true, he would have not commented at all.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#32 Jul 12, 2009
right no way would he have done that... $$$$$$ will never make anyone do anything... We've never seen denials during other large aquisitions...
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#33 Jul 12, 2009
I would imagine that he would simply not release a statement at all if it were true. Releasing a firm denial wouldn't do him any good. When this rumor started, everyone kept saying it was true because Mr. Smith hadn't released a statement saying otherwise. Now that he has, everyone's still making up stuff. I'd like for anyone that has some hard evidence to bring it forward. All this stuff about an announcement at the Food City 500 is bogus too. Do you really think he'd announce to his employees, most of them in the stands, that they may be out of a job 5 minutes before the start of a NASCAR race. I think not. I wish folks would think about how absurd this stuff is. I could be wrong, but everyone I have talked to, and I know some high ups in Tri-Cities and Knoxville KVAT, have told me its some bs a vendor started. I'm not saying its impossible that its true, I just haven't heard anything but baseless rumors.
Florida Southern

AOL

#34 Jul 18, 2009
Publix is moving into Tennessee fast and has had their eyes on a warehouse to support Tennessee and one that will have the ability to reach the outskirts of Washington D.C.. Publix pockets are very deep,more than anyone could ever imagine and Food City would be a very good one to buy. Food City would be very foolish not to sell out and join Publix.
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#35 Jul 19, 2009
Companies that are doing very well, such as Food City, don't get bought out while they're at a premium. Buy outs usually happen when a company is struggling and can be bought at a value. Food City has done well, even in this economy, and I don't see Publix paying the price it would cost to acquire them. People seem to forget, Steve Smith is doing pretty well for himself right now. Again, if anyone has any proof besides some BS they've heard from vendors, let me know. All my sources, say this rumor is crap.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#36 Jul 19, 2009
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks..... Don't be naive...
Florida Southern

AOL

#37 Jul 20, 2009
Money does speak volumes and being naive will be costly in the long run. If I was with a small chain and a big chain come stepping in with very deep pockets and are very profitable, I would jump to sell the first chance I get. I know for a fact Publix has over four billon setting in a bank and are debt free company. They own more companies than people would imagine. I have been assured that no matter what happens that Publix could never go broke. So to all of you non-believers better rethink your mind set.
Captain America

Columbia, TN

#38 Jul 21, 2009
Publix could never go broke. That's a pretty naive statement in itself.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#39 Jul 21, 2009
Captain America... Forget it dude.... It's going to happen.... Note the word "probably" in what Steve Smith said....
Captain America wrote:
Publix could never go broke. That's a pretty naive statement in itself.
Without Blinders On

Knoxville, TN

#40 Jul 21, 2009
You are so right.... Smaller regional chains will need free flowing cash and some accessible debt to survive and over the next few years in this economy those will be tough to get. Not selling now while the getting is good, is risking being worth less when all it's all said and done.
Florida Southern wrote:
Money does speak volumes and being naive will be costly in the long run. If I was with a small chain and a big chain come stepping in with very deep pockets and are very profitable, I would jump to sell the first chance I get. I know for a fact Publix has over four billon setting in a bank and are debt free company. They own more companies than people would imagine. I have been assured that no matter what happens that Publix could never go broke. So to all of you non-believers better rethink your mind set.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Arrest Mother With Child for Shoplifting Wed Most Interesting Man 6
Incoming Supervalu CEO Duncan to make $1.5 mill... (Jan '13) Wed fayebryant00 3
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Oct 17 Kentucky-Mitch 72
How healthy are Pittsburgh's underserved commun... Oct 16 K1D2K3A 4
Editorial: Eastside worries justifed (Mar '14) Oct 12 bisjakcolza 3
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Oct 8 Tim D 1,200
A&P completes refinancing of senior debt Sep 23 Joe Sheridan 2

Grocery People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE