Publix Buys Food City
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

Knoxville, TN

#322 Jan 23, 2013
Hey! Okay everyone, the "rumor" about Food City being bought out by Publix... has some relevancy.

Publix HAD approached Food City many years ago (2005-2006 time frame) to purchase certain stores in the chain. Food City responded with "Buy ALL of them or NONE at all".

So, Publix did NOT buy Food City, so instead they moved into West Knoxville in 2012 with plans to open 2 more stores near the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 closer to the University of Tennessee campus.

Food City is rumored to be shutting down the store located on Kingston Pike and North Peters in West Knoxville. Kroger is "trying" to compete with the Northshore store by expanding their store to become a "Marketplace"... compete... yea right!!

Because of how awesome Publix is, I am proud to be a Publix employee/owner.

"Publix, Where shopping is a pleasure."
Florida Southern

Lakeland, FL

#323 May 28, 2013
I miss Captain America funny comments, hope nothing happened to him...LMBO
travis

Knoxville, TN

#324 Jun 27, 2013
foodcity sucks no leadership skills
Captain America

Union City, GA

#325 Jul 22, 2015
Florida Southern wrote:
I miss Captain America funny comments, hope nothing happened to him...LMBO
After the big buyout, I went underground. I now hide in my VATcave, waiting for the opportunity to bring the mighty Food City name back. Still wanted by Publix, I survive today as a soldier of fortune.

Oh wait, Publix didn't buy Food City, and I still happily work there. And Publix came to Knoxville, but somehow we survived, and our company still makes money and continues to grow. Wow, believing rumors are fun. Oh, here's a rumor. This isn't a done deal, so I can't say for sure it's happening, but Food City may be expanding into Chattanooga and possibly parts of Georgia soon. I do know for a fact discussions have happened. How far they have gotten, I don't know.
Petros Pete

Oak Ridge, TN

#326 Jul 22, 2015
Captain America wrote:
<quoted text>
After the big buyout, I went underground. I now hide in my VATcave, waiting for the opportunity to bring the mighty Food City name back. Still wanted by Publix, I survive today as a soldier of fortune.
Oh wait, Publix didn't buy Food City, and I still happily work there. And Publix came to Knoxville, but somehow we survived, and our company still makes money and continues to grow. Wow, believing rumors are fun. Oh, here's a rumor. This isn't a done deal, so I can't say for sure it's happening, but Food City may be expanding into Chattanooga and possibly parts of Georgia soon. I do know for a fact discussions have happened. How far they have gotten, I don't know.
Lots of rumors swirling about a BI-LO KVAT deal in the works. Anybody got any more info?
Captain America

Union City, GA

#327 Jul 22, 2015
Petros Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of rumors swirling about a BI-LO KVAT deal in the works. Anybody got any more info?
Barring something unexpected, it is happening.
Captain America

Antioch, TN

#328 Jul 23, 2015
Captain America wrote:
<quoted text>
Barring something unexpected, it is happening.
It's official. 29 stores acquired by KVAT. I said it 5 years ago on this very thread that KVAT was heading west next. I was wrong about Publix not getting into the Knoxville market obviously, but my well connected sources in KVAT have given me accurate info thru all of this. I may not have a net worth of 100 mill like some know it alls do, but What I do have is facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Wed while they rob u 15
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jun 25 Gold Dust 94
News Save Mart buys Albertson's stores (Nov '06) Jun 8 Walmart 196
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... Jun 6 Jimmy 2
News Kroger to sink millions into Columbus area, wit... May '16 Contrarian 1
News Kroger to offer online ordering service at Sand... May '16 Apollo13 1
News Pastor Who Accused Whole Foods of Slur on Cake ... May '16 lavon affair 2
More from around the web