Publix Buys Food City
Captain America

Elizabethtown, KY

#302 Apr 23, 2011
And anyone who ever believed this sham of a rumor will be waiting for many years to come. For those of you who frequented this board in the last two years, seeking the answers....let this be a lesson to you......never doubt me. There is no Publix here in Knoxville, and there won't be for a long time. I think we can put that bastard baby to rest now. You're welcome.
jeffbeeba

Sebring, FL

#303 Apr 24, 2011
I agree with the Captain. I don't think Publix has any interest in the Knoxville area (too many grocery stores as it is). I did finally get on with Publix...store level in the deli. By far the worst 6 months of my life. Be careful what you wish for I guess. My gleaming 6 month review netted me a .15 raise...whoop! I will have difficult financial decisions to make on payday now (like which brand of candy bar to buy Reese's or Snickers).
The following Monday I gave my notice and am back into property management (nice try though eh)? Just another character building experience as far as I'm concerned.
jeffbeeba

Sebring, FL

#304 Apr 24, 2011
And one more thing...Publix will unlikely hire anyone in full-time. Part-timers are SO much cheaper without decent raises, and benefits PLUS, this really fattens the retail bonuses that full-timers and management get. When Forbes magazine states that Publix is experiencing "unprecedented profit gains due to cutting costs and becoming more efficient"...does anyone know what that means?
In a nut shell, they cut part-timer's hours then make the existing people work harder in order to maintain the same level of service and cleanliness that has made the company so successful. I wish them good luck (without me though). Good riddance!
EddieK

Brentwood, TN

#305 Apr 25, 2011
It's funny to go back over the last two years of posts and read the comments from people who absolutely KNEW what was going to happen...."Oh...I know somebody who says"......"Oh....it 's going to be announced after the Bristol race."

Drivel from people who wouldn't know their butts from a hole in the ground.
Captain America

Elizabethtown, KY

#306 Apr 25, 2011
I agree Eddie K. For many months I had people on here, mainly some fool who claimed to be worth $100 mil, telling me that I was living in a fantasy world by not believing the absolute certainty of Publix acquiring the chain I work for. I've been in this business a long time, and I know these mergers do happen, but every rumor that came out on this one was pure garbage. Anyone with any sense could have smelled it from a mile away. Publix simply isn't interested in many of the rural KY and VA markets that we operate in. Then to make it even more rich, these people were saying that our owner was going to sell only the TN stores. That makes absolutely no sense only selling the most profitable stores in the company. I guess I couldn't help but gloat a little bit a couple of years later.
Florida Southern

Davenport, FL

#307 May 4, 2011
We are coming I promise........you will see very soon !!!:-)
Captain America

Kingsport, TN

#308 May 5, 2011
I'm sure that they'd like to do business in Knoxville, as they do in Nashville, but they'd have to buy someone out first. The market is too crowded here.
EddieK

Nashville, TN

#309 May 5, 2011
Publix putting some stores in the Knoxville area...like it has in the Chattanooga and Nashville area...very possible...maybe even likely.

Publix buying out FC....not very likely...not even rumored anymore.
Captain America

Kingsport, TN

#310 May 5, 2011
Everyone has been saying that for years, but its never happened. They wouldn't accomplish much unless they could acquire Food City or run off Kroger. They'd only be cutting the pie into smaller pieces. The reason why Steve Smith made it a priority to acquire the Bi-Lo stores, even though they were mostly unprofitable, is because of the market share. You can't throw a rock in this town without hitting a Food City. If he hadn't bought them, and let them go under, there would have been a gap for someone to fill. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're testing the waters. However, in this economy, it would be a bit risky to jump in a crowded market.
Mike

Tampa, FL

#311 Jun 21, 2011
Apparently Publix is not as afraid of coming into Knoxville as some thought...
EddieK

Nashville, TN

#312 Jun 22, 2011
But once again...this misnamed topic changed from was Publix going to purchase the Food City franchise (which some swore up and down was going to happen) to was Publix going to open a store or two in the Knoxville area.
DustinC

United States

#313 Jul 7, 2011
I work for a company that had done reset/pos placement ect.. and i didn't think that rumor was true, but i had heard rumors of steve smith selling the food city chain. and keeping the super dollar (also part of kvat)but i doubt that is true also. publix wants big nice stores, food city has a couple here and there but most are small and ran down, but most and foremost i am glad to see publix is moving into knoxville.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#314 Sep 8, 2011
jeffbeeba wrote:
And one more thing...Publix will unlikely hire anyone in full-time. Part-timers are SO much cheaper without decent raises, and benefits PLUS, this really fattens the retail bonuses that full-timers and management get. When Forbes magazine states that Publix is experiencing "unprecedented profit gains due to cutting costs and becoming more efficient"...does anyone know what that means?
In a nut shell, they cut part-timer's hours then make the existing people work harder in order to maintain the same level of service and cleanliness that has made the company so successful. I wish them good luck (without me though). Good riddance!
Lol. My wife has 12 years in with Publix, they have been good to her. She worked hard to get to where she is at and is thankful. Here in Florida not too many places are doing well right now. Its kind of funny to me to see people moan, perhaps human nature? Reminds me of people that rant about Walmart, every time I pass by ours the parking lot is busy! Don't like them, don't spend money with them. We too have heard the info about Publix going to K town. Time will tell.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#315 Sep 8, 2011
Captain America wrote:
And anyone who ever believed this sham of a rumor will be waiting for many years to come. For those of you who frequented this board in the last two years, seeking the answers....let this be a lesson to you......never doubt me. There is no Publix here in Knoxville, and there won't be for a long time. I think we can put that bastard baby to rest now. You're welcome.
Umm, I just read a Publix spokesperson say it will open some time in 2012?

“We are proud to offer our unique shopping experience to customers in Knoxville,” said Todd Jones, president of Publix Super Markets.“We are committed to providing premier customer service and look forward to supporting the Knoxville community as early as third quarter 2012.”

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2011062...
news lady

Bristol, VA

#316 Sep 20, 2011
I have worked for Food City for a very long time and I really think "something" is going on. Food City is not the same family oriented atmosphere it once was. Many policy changes. New payroll system with a very strict attendance policy. Lots of management restructuring. I've heard rumores of full-time positions being eliminated. No video dept. Lots of remodeling. The climate of Food City has completely chagnged. It has been said that Publix would't talk to anyone less than 100 stores. Then what do you know a big push to get "over 100 stores". Employee benefits decreasing. There may not be any buy out but I can tell you from personal everyday experience it's not the same place.
When I started in 1996 the assoiciates were made to feel great and Mr. Jack Smith really believed that we were the backbone of his company. After speakin to Mr. Steve Smith I feel like I have just watched a crooked evangelist on a telethon. Or a polition on the champaine trail.
bill

Tazewell, VA

#317 Nov 18, 2011
i work for foodlion and its been rumored we bought foodcity and one else here this, WE have went through a lot of changes with more to come its very strange indeed
bill

Tazewell, VA

#318 Nov 18, 2011
sorry cant type
Florida Southern

Davenport, FL

#319 Jan 8, 2012
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, I just read a Publix spokesperson say it will open some time in 2012?
“We are proud to offer our unique shopping experience to customers in Knoxville,” said Todd Jones, president of Publix Super Markets.“We are committed to providing premier customer service and look forward to supporting the Knoxville community as early as third quarter 2012.”
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2011062...
Well, this shows everyone how much this dumbass Captain America is........we're in Food City's backyard and growing fast......Publix is coming, you were warned !!!!!
Florida Southern

United States

#320 Sep 13, 2012
Captain America where are you?........ROFLMBO
Florida Southern

United States

#321 Sep 13, 2012
And now its even more crowded.......PUBLIX, Where shopping is a pleasure!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shopping cart repair and maintenance May 19 caremnt 1
News OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... (Nov '14) May 18 Dude 6
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver May 17 Victor 2
News A spa and grocer in one (Jan '07) May 14 holmes 2
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) May 12 will 1,207
News Four N.C.-based supermarket chains rank among n... Apr '15 wittlecher 1
News Marsh shakes up management, closes stores (Feb '06) Apr '15 Sayso 3
More from around the web