Kroger's 1st-quarter net income falls 14% | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Supermarket operator Kroger says its net income fell 14 percent in the first quarter as its costs rose faster than its revenue.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jun 19, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

I must visit this "Cincinatti" you speak of.
Do tell

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Ohhhh boy here comes layoffs....
Tyler

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Maybe more people would shop there if they didn't have to buy a huge quantity of something to get a decent price.
Heidelberger

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Quick! Get Jack Hanna and that penguin in here! Call Alex the Butcher if all else fails.......
Exegesis

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

The reason I stopped going to Kroger is because I am tired of being asked every time I shop there: "Do you have anything on the bottom of your cart?"

It is insulting to be treated as a potential shoplifter, especially when I am spending thousands and thousands of dollars there. So now I go somewhere else where the cashiers treat their customers more politely.
Opinionated Ma

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

I stopped going to Kroger because they aren't the best deal in town.
My loyalty is to my family! Bring price match and work with us more, 10 for 10 isn't always a deal if people watch the prices.
Be God awful honest with yourselves Kroger.
I shop Meijer and they bring prices under control and yes they will. price match a competitor
so I can bring your ad in and save and I bring my other business to them as a Thank You for them doing it.
jkwrabbit

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

I'm with Opinionated Ma -- I used to be a loyal Kroger shopper. Then their prices started creeping up. The 10 for 10 is just to get you in their store so they can run you over the coals for all of the other things you need. If you see me in Kroger I am usually saying "$4.00 for cookies -- I'M NOT PAYING THAT".

I've officially switched to Wal-Mart. Prices and selection are amazing!
ohiobuckeye7

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

I don't understand how anyone shops there. Their prices are crazy expensive. Meijer is where it's at. Bigger selection and we can clean up with coupons.
4mercustomer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

I agree with most of the observations posted. For me it started with the Galloway store redesigning the aisle layout & selling furniture, etc. The meat & frozen food are hundreds of feet apart. The prices were no bargain either....THEN, I tried to figure out their fuel perks program. Giant Eagle has a much better system and it's immediately redeemable. At the time Kroger wanted me to wait a month & spend a $100 plus.
Outside of buying a paper there last week (do you have your Kroger card...no...:), I haven't been there in over 2 yrs.

Meijer, Wal-Mart, Giant Eagle, even Aldi's are better places to shop.
The Fifth Element

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

"I've officially switched to Wal-Mart. Prices and selection are amazing!"

And people complain about outsourcing... You're shopping yourselves out of jobs and competition. There are chains, and then there's Wal Mart. I'm all for saving money, but not at the price of small businesses that actually fuel an economy, use/distribute local, give back to a community, pay more than minimum wage, etc. I guess hurray for hillbilly farms, aka, Wal Mart.
Hees

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

If they were not the most expensive supermarket in town, in most cities, then they would not have this problem. Besides, they charge you extra on every single item if you forget to scan your Kroger card. Sometimes as much as 25% if you forget your card. They have no one to blame but themselves. When Big Bear was here, Kroger made a real attempt to keep prices competitive. NOT NOW.
Tired

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

The Fifth Element wrote:
"I've officially switched to Wal-Mart. Prices and selection are amazing!"
And people complain about outsourcing... You're shopping yourselves out of jobs and competition. There are chains, and then there's Wal Mart. I'm all for saving money, but not at the price of small businesses that actually fuel an economy, use/distribute local, give back to a community, pay more than minimum wage, etc. I guess hurray for hillbilly farms, aka, Wal Mart.
You are totally ignorant if you believe what you just said or are in management at Kroger. Do you ever read the labels or are you able to??? WalMart imports no more than anyone else, and they all pay min. wage. Check the brands handled by WalMart then check them at your favorite overpriced store, and while your at it check and see where they were ALL made. I know I've tried to buy products made here..... good luck finding them!
GE Fan

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

It is quite ironic that a Giant Eagle ad is strategerically planted in the middle of this story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Judged:

Go to the Kroger in my neighborhood and you usually have to scan your own overpriced groceries. I am sorry, it is an insult to have to scan and bag my own at their prices. Meijer Rules!
Union wages

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Judged:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Kroger is unionized and the other major competitors (Walmart, Giant Eagle, Meijer) are not. So the prices at Kroger are higher. The union is like a middleman taking a cut, and the workers themselves probably are no better off than those working at the non-union stores.

This could explain why Kroger's "costs rose faster than revenue" as stated in the article.
Heidelberger

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Judged:

Union wages wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Kroger is unionized and the other major competitors (Walmart, Giant Eagle, Meijer) are not. So the prices at Kroger are higher. The union is like a middleman taking a cut, and the workers themselves probably are no better off than those working at the non-union stores.
This could explain why Kroger's "costs rose faster than revenue" as stated in the article.
I'd guess that their costs rose due to an increase in commodity prices. Note that revenues were in the forecast range; consequently the stock rose yesterday. There probably has not been much of a change in wages/benefits during the quarter reported.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Heidelberger wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd guess that their costs rose due to an increase in commodity prices. Note that revenues were in the forecast range; consequently the stock rose yesterday. There probably has not been much of a change in wages/benefits during the quarter reported.
I THINK Meijer is Union - United Food and Commercial Workers. Regardless, the store is superior to Krogers. Giant Eagle pays a comperative wage to their workers. They also receive little incentives for no injuries, grocery bags not used, etc. Most cashiers I have encountered are pleasant and helpful. At Krogers, not always.
Sing it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Remember the song: "Let's go Krogering?"

After that dung heap of a record...Chapter 11 around da corner.

New version: "Wanna get shafted? Wanna pay high prices? Lousy quality, indifferent help..Krogering means bottom-of-the-barrel. Bring your Pepto--adter seeing our prices..you'll need it."

Phil "Jailbird" Spector
bye bye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Judged:

My ex-wfe shops at Kroger--that's why she's the ex.
Opinionated Ma

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2010

Hey Kroger..........
We keep trying to tell you what you need to do.
Listen up and like I have said before we would come back.
Save US money and bring us deals like price match.
We would bring business back if you did that and a few other things like get buyers to negotiate deals that we need.
I can't believe it is taking this much for you to learn to become customer friendly and take the business to the people and save us money in these hard economic times.
I need a special deal commercial not a Jack Hanna buying food for the zoo animals commercial consuming twinkies. I need a new cheap recipe for dinner so I am not tempted to buy fast food in a pinch. I need to save that money and come back again for another deal but you don't listen!

I am loyal to my family not your store.
I would come back if I saw a reason to save my family money and make our life better.
Do you have a reason yet or do you need better buyers and better marketing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Tue Star On 47 90
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Tue Bubbletoes 3
Meijer donates $500,000 to American Red Cross a... Aug 7 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 1
Oakville Museum Hosts Emancipation Day Family P... Aug 4 today in Halton 1
Belleville shopper charged with sticking needle... Aug 4 The Decline Of St... 1
Tinley Park Jewel-Osco Salmonella Test Results ... Jul 24 concerned citizen 1
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Jul '14 watson 1,195

Search the Grocery Forum:
•••