ana

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2007

I bought a sofa marked Stav Oak from Salvation Army last month in Grand Rapids MI and was wondering about the history on it. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thank you,
ana
bill wagner amarillo tx

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2007

I have two stav oak chairs bought in the 80's they were supposed to be made from jack daniels whiskey barrels. I have been looking to sell them if you are interested.
John

Winston Salem, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2007

J.C. Penney used to sell this type of furniture. It is covered in turquoise, orange and cream vinyl.
B Boggs

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2007

bill wagner amarillo tx wrote:
I have two stav oak chairs bought in the 80's they were supposed to be made from jack daniels whiskey barrels. I have been looking to sell them if you are interested.
Are your two chairs round or square.Also are they the light wood or the walnut color. I have a about 7-8 pieces of Stav Oak(light and dark). How much would you want for them?
Greg J

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2007

ana wrote:
I bought a sofa marked Stav Oak from Salvation Army last month in Grand Rapids MI and was wondering about the history on it. Does anyone know anything about it?
Thank you,
ana
I have a love seat, sofa, and three coffee,end tables all with Stav Oak decals. The Stav Oak tables all have a cut glass top.
J Barth

Glenview, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

I have a book case that i am told is stv oak, it actually has a branding mark on it with the jack daniels label. I got info from the jack daniels distillery on this saying it was stav oak and made back in the 80's but is not currently produced, and was made from white oak barrels that where used in the distillery.
Judy vanderhorst

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

ana wrote:
Thank you,
ana
I have a Stav Oak love seat made in the 80's in perfect condition. Looking to sell it. Any interest?
Garden-Lady

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2009

Ana, The oak in the sofa is indeed made from Jack Daniel barrel staves; I used to work for this company in Nashville at the time the furniture was brought to market; it was featured during it's early years in the Smithsonian's Museum of American History because it was a unique idea. I own a sofa table myself, and I have a grandson who has already put his designs on it. It is one of a kind; if there is any way to keep it, you should. Jane
Garden-Lady

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2009

I'm curious if your pieces were handed down to you. The original Stav-Oak line was not available long, and the pieces were quite expensive. But they are unique, truly one of a kind and the wood used is Jack Daniel barrel staves!
deeply concerned

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

I just bought a Jack Daniel's Sofa.
vicki

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

I just found a stav oak sofa on Craigslist. I love the heavy oak frame and plan to refinish it. I found this website with the history re the Jack Daniels staves from oak barrels very interesting.

from West Vancouver BC July 30 2009
David L

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

B Boggs wrote:
<quoted text>
Are your two chairs round or square.Also are they the light wood or the walnut color. I have a about 7-8 pieces of Stav Oak(light and dark). How much would you want for them?
Hey. I have a sofa (3 seat) and love seat (2 seat). No cushions on either though cushions are easy enough to purchase at places like Ikea. They are the light wood. i love this furniture, but I no longer have room for them. Anyone interested? There are some very minor condition problems, but easy to resolve. Overall, they are great. I live in Mt. Washington in Baltimore.
TN Al

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

Garden-Lady wrote:
Ana, The oak in the sofa is indeed made from Jack Daniel barrel staves; I used to work for this company in Nashville at the time the furniture was brought to market; it was featured during it's early years in the Smithsonian's Museum of American History because it was a unique idea. I own a sofa table myself, and I have a grandson who has already put his designs on it. It is one of a kind; if there is any way to keep it, you should. Jane
I have several pc.s of the stavoak furniture that my bought from the Brown/Forman co (where she worked) All of my pc.s have a brass barrel attached to the furniture. Did you work for Brown/Forman co.?
Shellie in TN

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Garden-Lady wrote:
I have a couch,2chairs,2end tables,coffee table,dinning room tabel with 4chairs,the tables all have a smokie glass top to them.They are all in great shape.I would like to know where to find out about them.the year they were made and the worth. Shellie
Shellie in TN

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2010

TN Al wrote:
<quoted text>I have several pc.s of the stavoak furniture that my bought from the Brown/Forman co (where she worked) All of my pc.s have a brass barrel attached to the furniture. Did you work for Brown/Forman co.?
I have several pcs. of stav oak and would lie to know the history of it. Does anyone know where I can start from to find out about theese items. Thanks, Shellie
TN Al

Naples, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2010

Shellie in TN wrote:
<quoted text>
I have several pcs. of stav oak and would lie to know the history of it. Does anyone know where I can start from to find out about theese items. Thanks, Shellie
As I said in my post, my Mom worked for the Brown/Forman (sp?) co. during the mid to late 70's to very early 80's possibly, and she bought all that she had from them. They were pieces that were in the various different offices there. All were either a dark walnut stained oak, or the light natural look. She did not tell me the prices of any of the pieces; but I assumed that they were not cheap, being where they had been(The Brown/Forman/Jack Daniel offices), and what they were made of, the barrel staves from Jack Daniels whiskey barrels. My mom just recently passed (81 a little over a year ago) so I was trying to get in touch with the Garden Lady, to see if she had met my mom, but it is possible she has passed also. Sorry not alot of help. It is very good sturdy furniture, that I do know, and I have seen around my family since the late 70's (or early 80's as I said above) I keep it because of the family connection more than anything, but it looks in great shape after all hese years.Al
Shellie in TN

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2010

TN Al wrote:
<quoted text>As I said in my post, my Mom worked for the Brown/Forman (sp?) co. during the mid to late 70's to very early 80's possibly, and she bought all that she had from them. They were pieces that were in the various different offices there. All were either a dark walnut stained oak, or the light natural look. She did not tell me the prices of any of the pieces; but I assumed that they were not cheap, being where they had been(The Brown/Forman/Jack Daniel offices), and what they were made of, the barrel staves from Jack Daniels whiskey barrels. My mom just recently passed (81 a little over a year ago) so I was trying to get in touch with the Garden Lady, to see if she had met my mom, but it is possible she has passed also. Sorry not alot of help. It is very good sturdy furniture, that I do know, and I have seen around my family since the late 70's (or early 80's as I said above) I keep it because of the family connection more than anything, but it looks in great shape after all hese years.Al
Thanks for the information.
TN Al

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

You are very welcome. Al
TN Al

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

To: Shellie in Tn. I do not know why it shows me in Piedmont Al, because I live just a little north of Nashville (for what it's worth). And again I am sorry for knowing so little about the furniture, but as I said it is very sturdy and still looks like brand new. Al
yep yep yep

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

Davis Cabinet Co. of Nashville made the couches.

W.L. Davis advised me that value would highly depend on condition;
and then whether a collector is after it;
so it could be worth anywhere from zero to $2000 or so;
this is really a who knows, but would probably cost at least $ 3000 to custom build one today...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of46
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Furniture Forum right now

Search the Furniture Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
need info-Sumter Cabinet Co. Dresser (Aug '09) 3 hr Ann 322
Online Restaurant Furniture Wed Jen Smit 2
ashley discontinued furniture (Mar '11) Tue Caryl 84
Help! Where Can I Find Pieces Of Furniture From... (Jul '07) Tue sharrie 672
Forever furnishings Apr 15 Louise 1
Kids Bedroom Apr 14 oskarvajld 2
Need a discontinued Ashley Furniture Item (Feb '11) Apr 12 Chad 20
Before you buy Natuzzi, ask me about my story (Jan '07) Apr 6 Carol 226
•••