Isle bankruptcies hit 3-year high - News

Isle bankruptcies hit 3-year high - News

There are 43 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 31, 2008, titled Isle bankruptcies hit 3-year high - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Rising foreclosures and soaring unemployment propelled Hawaii bankruptcy cases up 49.5 percent in 2008 over last year, an unwelcome trend that is expected to continue through 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Varrona

Georgetown, KY

#1 Dec 31, 2008
My family were also victime of this trend - THE BANKCRUPTCY. ONLY LAWYERS MAKE MONEY ON THIS SAD SITUATION.

WE ARE NOW LIVING ON THE MAINLAND AND STARTED ALL OVER AGAIN. NOT BAD. HOPEFULLY, SOMEDAY, WE'LL BE BACK IN HAWAII TO ENJOY THE "OHANA".

GOD BLESS YOU FOLKS WHO'S ABOUT TO LOSE THEIR HOMES. I UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON..CHIN UP AND SMILE TO THE LORD. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE BLESS IN LIFE. WE HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THE UPS AND DOWNS OF LIFE, AND THIS IS IT.
alohadude

New Orleans, LA

#2 Dec 31, 2008
KY? Wow, that's about as cheap a place as u can git

or as they say over there...Kintuckeh
kapaa

Lihue, HI

#3 Dec 31, 2008
living beyond their means and greed are at the bottom of all these filings...took out equity for a vacation or bought a new car and now the house aint worth what you paid....no sympathy.... and we all pay for these bankruptcies
Local Mom

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 31, 2008
There are some other reasons besides living beyond their means: Losing your Spouse through divorce and worst yet death. Death of a child, medical bills, illness, job loss. This really could happen to anyone, no discrimination to race, color and financial status. For those of us that still have our homes, WE pray every day that we make it through the year with our jobs, spouses, kids etc.
Willy

Portland, OR

#5 Dec 31, 2008
alohadude wrote:
KY? Wow, that's about as cheap a place as u can git
or as they say over there...Kintuckeh
Yo Joe, where's your sidekick Alice?

Don't tell me she trapped the dog... AGAIN!
Manoa

Honolulu, HI

#6 Dec 31, 2008
Local Mom wrote:
There are some other reasons besides living beyond their means: Losing your Spouse through divorce and worst yet death. Death of a child, medical bills, illness, job loss. This really could happen to anyone, no discrimination to race, color and financial status. For those of us that still have our homes, WE pray every day that we make it through the year with our jobs, spouses, kids etc.
Very touching comment.
Guru

Brea, CA

#7 Dec 31, 2008
Local Mom wrote:
...well said. Not everyone got sub-primed. Sub-primers are at one level...the rest are the ones I worry about.
Als Bar and Grill

AOL

#8 Dec 31, 2008
Bruddah Lau is next!!!!!!!!
Alice Sidekick

Lihue, HI

#9 Dec 31, 2008
Thanks to HECO, more bankruptcies are in the pipe right now ready for claims come 2009! How many businesses lost thousands during this last fiasco, a time when sales determine whether a company goes in the black or red.....looks like red is the color.

File a claim against HECO, but don't hold your hopes up because either got the PUC paid off or will delay it for so long, your company will go bankrupt!
Rubba Slippa Man

AOL

#11 Dec 31, 2008
No mo kala!!!!!!!!
give me a break

Kaneohe, HI

#12 Dec 31, 2008
das alright da mufi going fix areyting with the chu chu twain-----no problem right?????????

Still from Kaneohe..
lights out

Alexandria, VA

#13 Dec 31, 2008
How do you go from "Hawaii won't be nearly as bad as the Mainland" to "this is as bad as I've ever seen" in a matter of a few months. The two newspapers here are bunch of paid mouthpieces for special interst groups, especially the real estate pimps, and have not had any honest REAL reporting in years. Why don't the papers print REAL stories about how bad it's really going to get in 2009. Anyway, Happy New Year everyone.
Manapua Man

AOL

#14 Dec 31, 2008
All because of Bush!!!!!!!!
Guru

Brea, CA

#15 Dec 31, 2008
lights out wrote:
How do you go from "Hawaii won't be nearly as bad as the Mainland" to "this is as bad as I've ever seen" in a matter of a few months. The two newspapers here are bunch of paid mouthpieces for special interst groups, especially the real estate pimps, and have not had any honest REAL reporting in years. Why don't the papers print REAL stories about how bad it's really going to get in 2009. Anyway, Happy New Year everyone.
If you think so...just use the internet. Don't use the latimes though cuz it is useless and has been debased incredibly in the last 10 years.
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#16 Dec 31, 2008
Bush is a loser!!!!!!!!
Guru

Brea, CA

#17 Dec 31, 2008
Killa Wiffa wrote:
Bush is a loser!!!!!!!!
...a loser?...why do you say that...??
http://video.google.com/videosearch...
Guru

Brea, CA

#18 Jan 1, 2009
Manapua Man wrote:
All because of Bush!!!!!!!!
...who..this guy...???

...gee...what makes you say that...?
OMGWTF

Milpitas, CA

#19 Jan 1, 2009
Killa Wiffa wrote:
Bush is a loser!!!!!!!!
and a murderer of thousands of heroic US military personnel
lights out

Alexandria, VA

#20 Jan 1, 2009
Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think so...just use the internet. Don't use the latimes though cuz it is useless and has been debased incredibly in the last 10 years.
Words of wisdom from a real estate KING PIMP? How's prices in Playa Del "slum" these days?
Optimisitc

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jan 1, 2009
Local Mom wrote:
I agree with you. Bankruptcies do not discriminate. It can happen to anybody. If a company like merril lynch can go down, anything or anyone can go down. Some of us do not live beyond our means and yet we still struggle. That is reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foreclosures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Finding a fix for foreclosure mess (Sep '12) Thu indict PULTE 2
News Homeowners slam Mnuchin bank's foreclosure record Thu Le Jimbo 2
News Dems looking for confirmation fight over Trump'... Dec '16 BooHoo 5
News News 20 Mins Ago Democrats eye confirmation fig... Dec '16 WelbyMD 8
News How more deportations under Trump could lead to... Dec '16 RIP 17
Why stop foreclosure auction? Nov '16 Lmrothenberg 1
News Green Energy Can Complicate Real Estate Foreclo... Nov '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web