City seeks to begin foreclosure on Dania Beach Hotel

Time may be running out for the shuttered Dania Beach Hotel, which closed in 2002 and has since racked up more than $72,000 in code enforcement fines. Read more
Mr Schwinnckle

United States

#1 Jun 28, 2009
Demo the dump and donate it to the city. Looks like a great place for a Library, or Park.
Craps

United States

#2 Jun 28, 2009
How come some Hilton, isn't buying it. There is going to be a big demand for a 5 star hotel once the casino opens.
Mr Schwinnckle

United States

#3 Jun 28, 2009
because the casino deal is dead. They wasted city manhours and all the time of the residents to put it on hold and then cancel the project all together. They wont make any money with the Hard Rock so close.
yo mamma

AOL

#4 Jun 29, 2009
please explaine,,, how can the owners get millions in loans last year if they own the town of Dania All that Money,,and the Mr.S is right you'll never see a casino on Hi Li its dead,, i'm even surprised that they are operating,,, the 2 other race tracks have all they can do to stay open,,,
yo mamma

AOL

#5 Jun 29, 2009
well perhaps , take it by eminante domain, including all the property on federal,,, east side north of Dania Beah, Blvd,,, a Gateway? looks like a Slumway come on clean it up,,,,,,,,,,
Shanghailil

United States

#6 Jun 29, 2009
Mr Schwinnckle wrote:
because the casino deal is dead. They wasted city manhours and all the time of the residents to put it on hold and then cancel the project all together. They wont make any money with the Hard Rock so close.
I wouldn't be too quick to put the casino deal to bed. In case anyone hasn't heard, the Archbishop of Miami is planning on closing the church that sits directly behind the Jai Lai Fronton. His reason is declining numbers in attendance but we, the parishioners of Resurrection, think otherwise. Boyd gaming has been eyeing our property for a long, long time and rumor has it that a deal has been struck. It'll just be a matter of time before the entire corridor of East Dania Beach Boulevard from US 1 up to the Dania Beach Boulevard bridge will be developed. They are already clearing land over off of Gulfstream Road by the snowbird trailer park. The Pirates Inn will be next, along with the vacant parcel that used to house the Dania Fish Grill. With the airport and sea terminals so close, this would be an excellent spot to open a casino. I fear that East Dania Beach Boulevard is going to become known as "the little Las Vegas strip" once the casino building gets underway. Perhaps they'll turn the church into a restaurant and bar! Speaking of, does anyone know what they are planning on building over off of Stirling Road on the land currently being cleared off across from the Taco Bell and McDonald's? Please let me know. Thanks!
Hit Me

United States

#7 Jun 29, 2009
The company (whose name I forget) that owns Dania jai Alai, is a real casino business. Unlike the ones that opened the Mardi Gras, and Gulfstream. They saw that there is no real market for a casino there.So they were smart enough not to invest money in a failure.They are probably waiting for the state to allow full casino gambling. And if it is never approved, will sell.As for a hotel, it won't happen without a real casino opening.
Florida Sucks

Franklin, TN

#8 Jun 29, 2009
Boyd Gaming is the company you are referring to and the reason the deal died was because of that stupid jerk Charlie Crist striking the deal with the Seminoles. Boyd is a real gaming company out of Las Vegas and they recognized the fact that after that deal was struck, there was no way they were going to make any money there. I doubt the casino will ever be built.
Mr Schwinnckle

United States

#9 Jun 29, 2009
Boyd Gaming had started to bring in piping and other materials to break ground on the new underground work needed for the casino. The original Jai Alai / casino needed to stay open during construction to keep its licensing. The piping and materials are now gone from behind in the parking lot area of Jai Alai. With that said, the deal is done and put to bed for now. Yes, the church is closing or said to be closing but the members are fighting it from what we have heard. Nothing like a bunch of p/o'd church members. Same thing happened at Dania United Methodist, went from one of the oldest churches in Broward County, was closed by the Methodist Council then reopened as a black church. Tried going their but they are so lazy they dont even want to do the pumpkin patch any longer. I walked away and havent been in another church since. And I am not relgious! I went to meet the older residents of Dania and to learn more about this place. The place should be called a the plywood jungle with as many buildings covered with plywood. Antiques my butt. ITS more like cut glass, ceramics, and chotchkies and stuff. No oak furniture, no junk boxes, no gas pumps or coke machines. Nothing like that. All european art and crap! Bruce Kodner, along with the other dealers all sell on eBay due to lack of people walking in their shops. You cant have customers if your store is always closed! No business does good on US-1 the ones that have been here the longest are Jaxsons Ice Cream.

Failed businesses in Dania Beach:
Here is a list of businesses and projects we are proud to have cancelled or closed.

Pirates Inn
Dania Beach Hotel
many shops in the building next to the hotel
Gay nightclub then Chocolate Jungle where Sherwin Williams is
Kevins Bicycles reopened in Hollywood
Rose Auto (.99 cent store to attract homeless)
Captain Mikes Seafood (someone else moved in)
Drydock (becoming another church)
Seafair (never was a sucess)
Rainbow Too Cafe
Armadillo Beach Cafe
Lobster Trap
The Fish Grill (building demolished)
Bennett Auto Supply (building still vacant)
Obsession Watersports (gone)
Garrisons Auto Repair (vacant)
Scott Forman Art (left town)
Wireless Toys
Nautical Art (moved out, vacant)
Western Union (vacant
Yoga place
Fetish Box
Karate Studio
Dental Insurance place

Best of all Antique stores that dont open on weekends when people would shop in them.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jun 30, 2009
[QUOTE Failed businesses in Dania Beach:

Here is a list of businesses and projects we are proud to have cancelled or closed.
Pirates Inn
Dania Beach Hotel
many shops in the building next to the hotel
Gay nightclub then Chocolate Jungle where Sherwin Williams is
Kevins Bicycles reopened in Hollywood
Rose Auto (.99 cent store to attract homeless)
Captain Mikes Seafood (someone else moved in)
Drydock (becoming another church)
Seafair (never was a sucess)
Rainbow Too Cafe
Armadillo Beach Cafe
Lobster Trap
The Fish Grill (building demolished)
Bennett Auto Supply (building still vacant)
Obsession Watersports (gone)
Garrisons Auto Repair (vacant)
Scott Forman Art (left town)
Wireless Toys
Nautical Art (moved out, vacant)
Western Union (vacant
Yoga place
Fetish Box
Karate Studio
Dental Insurance place
Best of all Antique stores that dont open on weekends when people would shop in them.
[/QUOTE]

Jaxson's Ice Cream has done phenomenally well, but the man behind its greatness seems on his last legs. Once Monroe Udell dies, I sense that his heirs might either sell the business, or move it elsewhere. They might even turn it into a franchise, and we might see a Jaxson's some day in every city across the nation.

I wish Jaxson's well so long as they make sure their employees obey the law. But the damn people inflicted their amplified music on us for four months in 2005, and I had to go all the way to a state rep because the local authorities dawdled.

Government is supposed to represent the people. But in fact, local government often functions as the ally or prostitute of business. I don't care either way, whether Jaxson's flourishes or gets trashed like the Dania Beach Hotel. I just want rich and poor forced to obey one law.
Mr Schwinnckle

United States

#11 Jul 1, 2009
Vivek Golikeri wrote:
<quoted text>
Jaxson's Ice Cream has done phenomenally well, but the man behind its greatness seems on his last legs. Once Monroe Udell dies, I sense that his heirs might either sell the business, or move it elsewhere. They might even turn it into a franchise, and we might see a Jaxson's some day in every city across the nation.
I wish Jaxson's well so long as they make sure their employees obey the law. But the damn people inflicted their amplified music on us for four months in 2005, and I had to go all the way to a state rep because the local authorities dawdled.
Government is supposed to represent the people. But in fact, local government often functions as the ally or prostitute of business. I don't care either way, whether Jaxson's flourishes or gets trashed like the Dania Beach Hotel. I just want rich and poor forced to obey one law.
What does this have to do with the dania beach hotel or failed business' in the city? Sounds like you have something against Jaxson's. Or maybe you own a Cold Stone Creamery? Not sure but I welcome anything in the city that is done like Jaxson's. I see nothing wrong with the music outside which isnt from Jaxson's but a local gentleman trying to make a buck or two and also I have seen the South Broward Band there and a boys choir. Are you going to chase them away also? Chase kids away having fun singing or playing musical instruments? Maybe you should go back to NY? Wait, I am from NY also, but not NYC. I lived out in the country of upstate.
Observer

Dania, FL

#12 Jul 1, 2009
This city has a long history of definng and redfining itself. From it's founder A.C. Frost to the present day commissioners. Today it is not to build a city for people but to enlarge the tax base. Sad that no-one in the city seems to have an eye for the future and a respect for the past. Tearing down and more tearing down does not build a city. It creats a wasteland. The leaders in this city seem to lack imagination and can only rely upon the ideas of developers and the smell of money. Shiny new buildings and the hope of most developers that if you saturate an area somebody must come. This a wonderful little city that has a history worth remembering and respecting. I am fairly certain that the money to restore places like the Dania Beach Hotel were there and the Pirates Inn (orginally the Katherine Hotel named after Martin Frost's daughter) with imaginaion and purpose could have been restored and saved. But it is easier for the less imaginative to tear down and let others do the thinking for them. If East Dania Beach Blvd. is developed the way some are saying then it is no longer a city but a money well for developers and their supporters. If it continues I will be ovserving Dania Beach from another city that respects its residents and its past.
Vinnie The Chinn

Pompano Beach, FL

#13 Jul 1, 2009
Shanghailil wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't be too quick to put the casino deal to bed. In case anyone hasn't heard, the Archbishop of Miami is planning on closing the church that sits directly behind the Jai Lai Fronton. His reason is declining numbers in attendance but we, the parishioners of Resurrection, think otherwise. Boyd gaming has been eyeing our property for a long, long time and rumor has it that a deal has been struck. It'll just be a matter of time before the entire corridor of East Dania Beach Boulevard from US 1 up to the Dania Beach Boulevard bridge will be developed. They are already clearing land over off of Gulfstream Road by the snowbird trailer park. The Pirates Inn will be next, along with the vacant parcel that used to house the Dania Fish Grill. With the airport and sea terminals so close, this would be an excellent spot to open a casino. I fear that East Dania Beach Boulevard is going to become known as "the little Las Vegas strip" once the casino building gets underway. Perhaps they'll turn the church into a restaurant and bar! Speaking of, does anyone know what they are planning on building over off of Stirling Road on the land currently being cleared off across from the Taco Bell and McDonald's? Please let me know. Thanks!
If the deal goes thru, we are planning on building a 5 star gentlemen's club right across the two junk food franchises, which we will purchase and close after wards.
Mr Schwinnckle

United States

#14 Jul 1, 2009
Vinnie The Chinn wrote:
<quoted text>
If the deal goes thru, we are planning on building a 5 star gentlemen's club right across the two junk food franchises, which we will purchase and close after wards.
Bull Shmit, the place next to Burger King that was just cleared is going to be a small strip shopping center. Just email or call the city to find out. I did months ago.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Aug 7, 2009
Mr Schwinnckle wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this have to do with the Dania Beach hotel or failed business' in the city? Sounds like you have something against Jaxson's. Or maybe you own a Cold Stone Creamery? Not sure but I welcome anything in the city that is done like Jaxson's. I see nothing wrong with the music outside which isnt from Jaxson's but a local gentleman trying to make a buck or two and also I have seen the South Broward Band there and a boys choir. Are you going to chase them away also? Chase kids away having fun singing or playing musical instruments? Maybe you should go back to NY? Wait, I am from NY also, but not NYC. I lived out in the country of upstate.
You're darn right that I have something against someone broadcasting amplified music so loud that it screams three city blocks away. Sitting in my living room, I could not even hear my own television because that noise was invading the room. If it's just across the street that you hear the music, that's different. But this preposterous!

It's very easy for you, living in Boca Raton, to preach to people who are near the center of things. The whole problem is that over the 2000's, sound technology has developed the ability to broadcast sound several blocks away.

"Have something against Jaxson's?" You're damn right I have a problem with public nuisance! Look, I don't give a f--- how much that old coot donates to charity, or how sweet a guy they say he is. I just want the fat boys and their lackeys to obey the same rules we little folk have to. The Fourteenth Amendment means government can be taken to task if they enforce the same law selectively.

I do not run a "Cold Stone Cemetery." I believe that taxpayers have a right to a quality of life, and many others have complained about noise and traffic.
jack

Pikeville, KY

#16 Apr 29, 2012
when will dania side of port everglades be open. what will it cost? hours of opperation etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foreclosures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Arrest of Vanilla Ice and How Honest People... Mon flippersDontGiveA... 1
News Lawsuits allege OneWest bank can profit from fo... (Feb '10) Mon Kay Martin 17
ocwen none bank, debt collector Feb '15 tallorderwill 1
The Best Priced Single family Housing In America Feb '15 DanFreeman 1
News Paulson seeks rest of bailout (Dec '08) Feb '15 Swedenforever 13
News Paulson to give update today on financial bailout (Nov '08) Feb '15 Swedenforever 18
News Bank Of America: Another Opportunity To Buy Low... (May '12) Feb '15 agw 12
More from around the web