Squatters Moving Into Foreclosed Homes

Squatters Moving Into Foreclosed Homes

There are 38 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from Jan 25, 2008, titled Squatters Moving Into Foreclosed Homes. In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

With foreclosure rates at nearly 60 percent in Tracy, hundreds of homes are vacant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Unknown

Stockton, CA

#1 Jan 25, 2008
Well.....I guess its about time realtors start doing the job their paid to do....taking interest in the homes they are selling and not just the profit.

“ah! kitty love!”

Since: Dec 07

Placer Co, CA

#2 Jan 25, 2008
I wonder how many of the "squatters" are former home owners whose homes have been foreclosed upon, and have no where else to live?

No, I did not say that makes it right. I was just wondering "out loud."

With the number of homes in foreclosure, I am not surprised that the "squatters" are taking up residence.

I can not imagine being homeless ... scary!
GODS GETTING MAD

Sacramento, CA

#3 Jan 25, 2008
Who ever owns the house..it is their responsibility to maintain the house....cost of doing business.
The lazy realtor may have to do some actual work this time around. sorry
bobsdogs

Antelope, CA

#4 Jan 25, 2008
well lets start with whats wrong with this story. First how come the squaters were not arrested. Lets bring back debtors prision. Mabey people will not spend so frivolous. Prominent Americans who spent time in debtors' prison include inventor Charles Goodyear, and Robert Morris, a signatory of the United States Declaration of Independence. Second it is not the realtors property, if it is forclosed on its the banks you know the ones who handed out all of the risky loans to the people who foreclosed.
geez

Sacramento, CA

#5 Jan 25, 2008
bobsdogs wrote:
well lets start with whats wrong with this story. First how come the squaters were not arrested. Lets bring back debtors prision. Mabey people will not spend so frivolous. Prominent Americans who spent time in debtors' prison include inventor Charles Goodyear, and Robert Morris, a signatory of the United States Declaration of Independence. Second it is not the realtors property, if it is forclosed on its the banks you know the ones who handed out all of the risky loans to the people who foreclosed.
I agree, why aren't the banks that foreclosed on the homes not hiring private security companies to keep the home sites secure? Why is the responsibility falling on the realestate agents? They're being paid to sell the homes.
Ferenczy33

Washington, DC

#6 Jan 25, 2008
And why weren't they arrested? Wouldn't that classify as breaking and entering, destruction of property. WTF? I don't care if they are homeless or not. Squatting is nothing more than stealing. They should have locked them all up. If I owned a vacant home and found out it was being squatted on, couldn't I legally go over there with my shotgun and fill them full of rock salt for being inside of my property? Ridiculous.
no way

Marysville, CA

#7 Jan 25, 2008
who did not see this coming? don't the squatters have rights after a certain amount of time and m,ay sue if injured on property?
BlazingSky

Lenexa, KS

#8 Jan 25, 2008
geez wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, why aren't the banks that foreclosed on the homes not hiring private security companies to keep the home sites secure? Why is the responsibility falling on the realestate agents? They're being paid to sell the homes.
Banks aren't going to spend money to babysit people. They are in business to make money, not to spend it. If I were homeless, I would probably do the same thing...I've been homeless before - it's not fun at all! And heck...if you squat long enough, the home is yours! That's good for economics, and cuts down on the homeless population. It's a win, win for everybody. Shelters don't have room for everyone, and they are only temporary. Government is too slow to step in and help...there was a 2-year waiting list for a government housing when I was homeless 4 years ago. Hurricane Katrina victims are still in FEMA trailers. A house is better than a trailer or sleeping in your car in a parking lot every night! Desperate people do desperate things. But they wouldn't have to if there was more help. People don't become homeless because they want to. My current landlords, Kelly and Eva Mahan in Grandview, Missouri have COMPLETELY *destroyed* my life in just ONE MONTHS time...all because they wanted their "family member" to move in, because they have an "emergency"...so they kick me out on the street so their family member can have a roof over their head! They involved ME in THEIR "emergency", and everything in my life came unraveled at that...I've lost my job, my truck, my credit, and now I have nowhere to live...all because of their ONE selfish, self-centered decision...and because "God" told them to do it! Now I'm having to pick up all the pieces of my life that took 17 years to put back together. It only takes ONE person to pull ONE string - the RIGHT string for EVERYTHING to come unraveled and to fall apart.
Too bad

United States

#9 Jan 25, 2008
BlazingSky wrote:
<quoted text>
Banks aren't going to spend money to babysit people. They are in business to make money, not to spend it. If I were homeless, I would probably do the same thing...I've been homeless before - it's not fun at all! And heck...if you squat long enough, the home is yours! That's good for economics, and cuts down on the homeless population. It's a win, win for everybody. Shelters don't have room for everyone, and they are only temporary. Government is too slow to step in and help...there was a 2-year waiting list for a government housing when I was homeless 4 years ago. Hurricane Katrina victims are still in FEMA trailers. A house is better than a trailer or sleeping in your car in a parking lot every night! Desperate people do desperate things. But they wouldn't have to if there was more help. People don't become homeless because they want to. My current landlords, Kelly and Eva Mahan in Grandview, Missouri have COMPLETELY *destroyed* my life in just ONE MONTHS time...all because they wanted their "family member" to move in, because they have an "emergency"...so they kick me out on the street so their family member can have a roof over their head! They involved ME in THEIR "emergency", and everything in my life came unraveled at that...I've lost my job, my truck, my credit, and now I have nowhere to live...all because of their ONE selfish, self-centered decision...and because "God" told them to do it! Now I'm having to pick up all the pieces of my life that took 17 years to put back together. It only takes ONE person to pull ONE string - the RIGHT string for EVERYTHING to come unraveled and to fall apart.
...that you have put yourself in a situation where you have to wait for the government to help you. As they say, Failure to plan is planing to fail.
former homeowner

Chico, CA

#10 Jan 25, 2008
I think there's a misconception here, the realtors aren't the ones who own the house and aren't responsible for maintaining the property, that's the bank.

Secondly, I love how some of those among us can look down from a long and high nose at the "losers" who were unable to afford their homes. That we are all inefficient folks who don't know how to manage money, greedy jerks and therefore deserve nothing more than to look at the bottom of their boot. Now, I take reponsibility for the fact that I bought a home I couldn't afford, but I tried to do the right thing and sell my home before I lost it. It was on the market for 8 months before we finally realized that there was no avail and told the bank to go ahead and take it. I guess losers like me deserve to be homeless, so I'll pack my 2-1/2 kids and a dog up in my car and go look for the American dream somewhere else.
dunno

Stockton, CA

#11 Jan 25, 2008
Squatters because they squat down and poop on the floor? That's what it sounds like. LOL

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#12 Jan 25, 2008
Perhaps the banks should contemplate a program to 'rent a room' to a suitable party, while the at-risk property is on the market. This individual would be responsible for cleaning/maintaining the property inside and out, of notifying the bank/owner of emergency repairs, etc, in exchange for the right to furnish and sleep in one of the rooms. This person would have to be aware that it might be shown on ten minutes notice, and so, would have to keep the agreed-upon room and bath in pristine condition. No pets, no parties, no behavior that might compromise the ability to sell that property.

The fact that the property is not vacant should serve to discourage some kinds of invasions. And, particularly when the weather has been as unpleasant as it has been, lately.
Rere

Elk Grove, CA

#13 Jan 25, 2008
These homes are worthless. The piece of gum I am about to stick in my mouth is worth more than these houses right now. No one is buying houses which makes them worthless. So, what difference does it make if the homeless person squats in the worthless foreclosed on house, or squats in the yard? Basically the same thing. Too bad the homeless folks can't make it to the toilet though. I'd hate to be the realtor who has to clean that up to try to make a sale.
dunno

Stockton, CA

#14 Jan 25, 2008
Rere wrote:
These homes are worthless. The piece of gum I am about to stick in my mouth is worth more than these houses right now. No one is buying houses which makes them worthless. So, what difference does it make if the homeless person squats in the worthless foreclosed on house, or squats in the yard? Basically the same thing. Too bad the homeless folks can't make it to the toilet though. I'd hate to be the realtor who has to clean that up to try to make a sale.
I agree, just let them squat. When you gotta go you gotta go. LOL

Location hidden

#15 Jan 25, 2008
BlazingSky wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with so called squatters is that they can do a lot of damage to a piece of property. How is that good economically? And cutting down the homeless population? I guess it would cut down the population in the amount of accidental deaths caused by fires being set. And wow, broken windows, damaged floors and walls, appliances stolen/broken, filth from all the garbage, at the least – sounds like a great idea there, Blazing Sky!

As to your landlords – it’s called family first. I guess you wouldn’t have done the same, given the same situation? I can sympathize for the 17 years it took to get your life back together from being homeless, but you need to take some responsibility in this and not place blame on others for completely destroying your life, in one month’s time, as you say. Sounds like some sort of domino effect to me….You lost your home, so you self destructed, and lost your job, and then your truck….Where were your people in your emergency? Maybe, you need to do a self- check and figure out why this keeps happening to you. Best of luck to you!

Location hidden

#16 Jan 25, 2008
Fifth Generation wrote:
Perhaps the banks should contemplate a program to 'rent a room' to a suitable party, while the at-risk property is on the market. This individual would be responsible for cleaning/maintaining the property inside and out, of notifying the bank/owner of emergency repairs, etc, in exchange for the right to furnish and sleep in one of the rooms. This person would have to be aware that it might be shown on ten minutes notice, and so, would have to keep the agreed-upon room and bath in pristine condition. No pets, no parties, no behavior that might compromise the ability to sell that property.
The fact that the property is not vacant should serve to discourage some kinds of invasions. And, particularly when the weather has been as unpleasant as it has been, lately.
Pretty good idea there, Fifth! However, the bank would probably have to hire a management company of some sort to handle all the details that go into a rental property, and that would not be very cost effective. And then, there are the legal issues….

“Happily Married To The Best”

Since: Sep 07

Sacramento, Ca

#17 Jan 26, 2008
It actually costs the banks less to have people living in a foreclosed house than for it to sit unused for months on end. I dont blame the squatters. Its cold outside and shelters are terrible.
MaMa in Manteca

United States

#18 Jan 26, 2008
This is a tough situation, although, I can see both sides here. Squatters are taking advantage of the property. It would be so bad if they took care of it and didn't destroy it. Take pride in what you have, even if just for a moment. Maybe it would show good faith if you were squatting and they came and seen you have actually been taking care of the property, rather than destroying it. HEY who knows you may get a job outta it.
Madness in Modesto

United States

#19 Jan 26, 2008
BlazingSky wrote:
<quoted text>
Hon. I understand your situation, yet I too have been there, where they have had me leave to house their family, yet, life has it's ups and downs and it is what you make it. MOVE ON ! I know it took me a while and i still did it and MOVED on. and i was not alone, i had 3 young children with me.
Betty Collins

Houston, TX

#20 Jan 26, 2008
Good for Kevin Johnson, he could be the refreshing ummp that Sacramento needs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foreclosures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News End of legislative session laws a " Zombie Prop... Jun 18 Mos-A 1
News Local real estate market on the rebound? (Sep '09) Jun 3 voteforBernie 21
News 22News I-Team: A Springfield mom rents a home t... (May '08) May '16 Dirtbags 50
News The property at One Selleck St. in Norwalk Conn... May '16 It Is That 1
News 'We need an outsider like Trump,' says this two... Apr '16 Too Stupid 5
News Shooing squatters (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeffrey Irvine 611 8
Foreclosure process in Riverside, CA Mar '16 homebuyerie 1
More from around the web