Finney sentenced in mortgage fraud

Full story: GoErie.com

Greg Finney arrives at the Federal Court House to face charges related to the ongoing local mortgage fraud cases Feb.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jun 19, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pa_nae

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Greg,
you know that your father and I were the best of friends. If he were still alive I know that he would be ashamed of how you turned out to be. He loved you so much when you were young because I was around him and your mom and this is how you repay them for all they did for you. Well maybe that was the problem.
Do you think about what you have put your mother and your children through? You lost your father at a young age, so why would you do this to them?
I thought that you would have learned after the first time you went to jail but your greed for money and drugs are you down fall. You can believe this these next few years are going to be harder because you are older and time doesn't fly by as st a the last bit you did.
I hope this time you have learned valuable lesson from the crimes you have imposed on these people
It is my wish that when you get out that you can become an honest man like I know that your mom and dad taught you to be. If you can't do it for them then first of all do it for yourself and for your children and grandchildren that you will have some day.
I hope and pray that you will become a different man when you come home this time. I'll pray for you and your family and ask God to keep you all safe until you return home.
God Bless,
Mike

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

What a ridiculous post pa-nae... a public forum doesn't seem like the place for an open, anonymous letter to the guy who just got sentenced.

I understand these people committed fraud and are being sentenced for it. What amazes me, though, is that buying things for one price and then reselling them for a higher price is how business is done in the US.

These people who bought these homes that "didn't know a lot about it" were suckers. Who buys a home that's falling down on them in the ghetto for $75k? Who doesn't sit down and think to themselves: "I only make $1200 a month, can I afford a mortgage payment of $750?" Say what you will about the defendent in this case and the other people who were sentenced- they couldn't have done anything if there wasn't a market for it. The people who swallowed these deals hook, line, and sinker are just as much to blame, if not more.

“Love Freedom, Thank a Soldier”

Since: Feb 08

Erie,PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

A not so smart, pretty smart guy hooked up with the wrong people in the wrong place at the wrong time. I feel bad for his mom Shelley, one of the nicest ladies I've ever met.
Woodstein

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

OK, let's blame the people who were duped by these scammers. They should have known that the apparaiser was in on the scam and falsely inflating the price of the house, and should have known the houses were jerry-rigged and they would be needing to replace roofs, furnaces, plumbing, electrical systems and just about every other major expense a homeowner can confront. Maybe we should give these convicted felons some bonuses from the economic stimulus package because they were doing business the American way. Buy something in disrepair, do some cosmetic repairs only a contractor could see behind and scam some poor sap into thinking they have finally realized the American dream.
Ah Mike, you must be one of those "compassionate conservatives we hear about."
laura

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

i think everyone in part was to blame.and i totally agree with mike,you make so much you can only spend so much
Lori Nelson

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Woodstein wrote:
OK, let's blame the people who were duped by these scammers. They should have known that the apparaiser was in on the scam and falsely inflating the price of the house, and should have known the houses were jerry-rigged and they would be needing to replace roofs, furnaces, plumbing, electrical systems and just about every other major expense a homeowner can confront. Maybe we should give these convicted felons some bonuses from the economic stimulus package because they were doing business the American way. Buy something in disrepair, do some cosmetic repairs only a contractor could see behind and scam some poor sap into thinking they have finally realized the American dream.
Ah Mike, you must be one of those "compassionate conservatives we hear about."
Wouldn't an inspector find problems during the inspection that the buyers hired?
Get it straight

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Go after him for everything he got ( motorcycle, houses, cars ) these should be re-sold to pay these people. He knows what he is doing, has done it in the past.
Jmazz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

People need to smarten up and know what they are getting into. Then maybe they wont get scammed so easily. And for the record, he HAS sold pretty much everything he owns. I know, I bought some furniture from him to help him out.
kendra

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

This is a man that back in the day was busted for hiding cocaine in the wheel of a car, My how some things never change. He served time then and just became a repeat offender but in a different way.... The greed will always get ya!
Woodstein

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Jmazz wrote:
People need to smarten up and know what they are getting into. Then maybe they wont get scammed so easily. And for the record, he HAS sold pretty much everything he owns. I know, I bought some furniture from him to help him out.
I guess applying this logic, the people who lost millions to Bernie Madoff are to blame. Why is it then he's going to Jail????
Alex Trabec

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

I'll take buyer beware for 400 please.
Jmazz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Im not to familiar with the case, but from what I understand it was the banks he scammed not the buyers. Why did the buyers houses get foreclosed on? Im assuming that they couldnt afford their payments. They didnt know that in the beginning?
Woodstein

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Look, let's say you are living in an apartment and want something better for your family. Rather than going on welfare, you and your wife work. Maybe you don't make $800,000.00 a year, but you can't afford a new house in Millcreek. But you scrap together some savings (If you can, after paying for a tank of gas, and paying your heating bill) and you begin looking at houses. You find a house for sale that has a fresh coat of paint and the seller tells you he is a contractor who remodels homes, and bought this and has fixed it up. He shows you an appraisal that says the house is worth 75,000. Little do you know the appraiser is in on the con.

The seller also puts you in touch with a company that can help you finance with a low adjustable rate mortgage. The loan company also says they will do an inspection. They don't tell you most home inspectors only are responsible for visible defects and don't really look inside or behind anything. The seller also doesn't tell you he has put a temporary fix on the leaking hot water tank or the furnace, or that the roof has just been patched or that the wiring in the house is held together by electrical tape. Not being a contractor you believe him (God forbid anyone take anyone at their word in this country anymore). Not being a plumber, roofer or electrician you think you have finally realized the American dream.

Then 6 months into the deal, your basement floods when the Hot water tank goes. The roof starts to leak and the house is cold when the furnace motor blows out. You get an electrician in to fix the furnace and he tells you he can't do anything without installing a new fusebox since the old one is a fire hazard. Forced to try and take on all these crushing expenses you no longer can afford your "dream house." Your homeowners insurance tells you since these were defects when you bought the home there is no insurance coverage.

Your neighbors in this community are telling you this is your fault and you are not a victim, but the author of your own misfortune. Forget that the felons that did this to you are going to jail for violating the law. You should be the one to go to the slammer for being so stupid.

What a great town this is.
errie

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

dude is a snitch. Point blank period. Hes snitched on his friends back in the day, then snitched on me(october 2008) right after he asked me to go watch him fight. He is a piece of shit
Ashley finney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

He's my dad and the most loving person I've met f off
kortesz the killer

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

Ashley finney wrote:
He's my dad and the most loving person I've met f off
He caused a lot of families pain. Hope you feel the same. F you and yours.
badazz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

Ashley i hope your "honest, loving" father rots....snitches get stiches and biried in ditches. KARMAS a b#tch and he will get his
Louis

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

Big tough internet badazz threatening a 13 year old girl. What a joke.

I agree Greg is a loser, but you're not much better.
mike k

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2012

He is free in one month...so I heard
still waiting for a check

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

BTW, shes not 13 anymore; 21 in fact. she can handle the truth.
Greg has ruined many, many people's lives. what's especially troubling is he has NO remorse or genuine intention to even try & make things rite (rite as they ever possibly be) to the people who were foolish enough to ever trust him. Instead he tricked, lied and stole huge sums of money from not just the public victims, but also those very close family & freinds he sold his ideas to and filled his pockets with their money. Unfortunely, these hard working victims have no legal course of action against him. Truly dispicable. How can anyone with a conscious wake up & look at themselves every day knowing he's negatively changed the lives forever of the people once closest to him, who trusted & believed in him the most. He knows the truth & ALL the terrible things he's done not just with this mortgage fraud scam, but the one's he was never caught & held accountable for too!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Foreclosures Discussions

Search the Foreclosures Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The News On 6 Investigates: Renter Beware (Feb '09) Tue ozzy911 40
NEAL v. KETCHUM Jul 16 Darrel 1
Storm damage hurt business, attorney says (Jul '13) Jul 11 jorgelopez 3
3 arrested in alleged housing scam (Oct '08) Jul 1 Victim 37
DuVal's Lee Hindin in debt - The Park Record (Nov '09) Jun '14 Mary 31
With no place to go (Apr '11) Jun '14 Petal Power 185
Paulson seeks rest of bailout (Dec '08) Jun '14 swedenforever 7
•••
•••