Utz backs out of merger

Utz backs out of merger

There are 46 comments on the Evening Sun story from Nov 4, 2009, titled Utz backs out of merger. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

After announcing two weeks ago plans for one of the Hanover area's two major snack-food companies to acquire the other, the smaller company, Utz Quality Foods, decided to pull out, citing a "protracted review" process from the Federal Trade Commission.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jonathan

Columbia, MD

#1 Nov 5, 2009
What?! No Grandma Snyder's Potato Chips?!?
Bill

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Nov 5, 2009
Told you there was something afoot.
what ever

United States

#3 Nov 5, 2009
What are they really trying to hide?????
former chief

Sylvania, GA

#4 Nov 5, 2009
Well I'll be dammed. I was ready for some of the great UTZ chips in Savannah. Happy Days Wayne
Junkfood Junkie

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Nov 5, 2009
The merger died because neither company could agree on how much snackmosphere to put in their chip bags instead of actual potato chip product .Ever notice how chip bags contain more air than product = Snackmosphere !! How about giving the consumer a product worth the money for once !!
Bryan

Middletown, PA

#6 Nov 5, 2009
The first thing I get from this article is that Utz is hiding something. How hard can it be to cooperate in an additional questioning.
former legal eagle

Gaithersburg, MD

#7 Nov 5, 2009
As a former legal worker, I can tell you that something smells "fishy" with this..not just Utz's.. Snyder's too.

The Federal Trade Commission does thorough work in checking out both companies. My bet: neither wants the deal to go through.

Perhaps Frito-Lay is sniffing around both companies??
Mimi

United States

#8 Nov 5, 2009
Don't believe Rice's explanation for a minute. He knew all the ramifications before they went public. Something stinks about this whole deal. Went will the shoe drop?
Pam

Buffalo, NY

#9 Nov 5, 2009
Is Frito's worried about a PRETZEL MONOPOLY?????? OH MY!!

Since: Aug 09

Gettysburg, PA

#10 Nov 5, 2009
Junkfood Junkie wrote:
The merger died because neither company could agree on how much snackmosphere to put in their chip bags instead of actual potato chip product .Ever notice how chip bags contain more air than product = Snackmosphere !! How about giving the consumer a product worth the money for once !!
That's funny! When I'm looking at chips, if I pick up the bag and it's more than half full of air I'll refuse to buy it!
Big John

Cherry Hill, NJ

#11 Nov 5, 2009
It's all political. The FEDS are Democrats,UTZ and Snyders are Republican. UTZ could go national if they had sharp marketing people. New plants in New England, The Midwest, Mississippi (for the South,) Northern Nevada (for the West.)
Cracked Up

Newark, DE

#12 Nov 5, 2009
Terry Cartwright wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny! When I'm looking at chips, if I pick up the bag and it's more than half full of air I'll refuse to buy it!
Well if you buy a bag of chips that is not full of air, then you're probably getting broken chips. Bags are purposely filled with air to prevent the product from breaking. Yes it can seem like you're not getting much, but they're sold by WEIGHT, not by VOLUME! It's all done for you - the consumer.

Of course, if the bags are made smaller - or they are filled with more product (and cost more) and the "snackmosphere" is removed, you'll be the same ones complaining that the product sucks because the chips are always broken.
Brad

Fairbanks, AK

#13 Nov 5, 2009
Being a long time Native of the area and loving both companies and have familiy who has worked for both makes me proud to know these companies are strong. What suck is that I will still hae to get my Grandma UTZ's mailed to me instead of buying them in the store here in Alaska :-( I can get Snyder's pretzels all day long at any store here but I can't getmost Utz snacks other than the Utz potato chips here. Snyders could have helped Utz extend their range of products with their large distribution capabilities and maybe I could have even gotten a job where I live doing the same thing my brother does down there.
Brad

Fairbanks, AK

#14 Nov 5, 2009
I meant to say I can get most of the Utz snacks here but not potato chips!
jackson

Annapolis, MD

#15 Nov 5, 2009
Mimi wrote:
Don't believe Rice's explanation for a minute. He knew all the ramifications before they went public. Something stinks about this whole deal. Went will the shoe drop?

I agree 100% Rice is hiding something that he does,t want the public to learn
Spring Grove Parent

Westminster, MD

#16 Nov 5, 2009
Well said...
Cracked Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you buy a bag of chips that is not full of air, then you're probably getting broken chips. Bags are purposely filled with air to prevent the product from breaking. Yes it can seem like you're not getting much, but they're sold by WEIGHT, not by VOLUME! It's all done for you - the consumer.
Of course, if the bags are made smaller - or they are filled with more product (and cost more) and the "snackmosphere" is removed, you'll be the same ones complaining that the product sucks because the chips are always broken.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#17 Nov 5, 2009
Terry Cartwright wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's the big deal?
You are paying for the amount of chips(product) in the bag, not the size of the bag.
If the air wasn't in the bag, all you would have by the time you get it home would be crumbs!
Fed up

West Chester, PA

#18 Nov 5, 2009
I find it completely ludicrous and sad that people are so suspicious and uninformed. I have a friend who is an attorney with the FTC. When the FTC comes back with a 2nd request the extensive questions are unbelievable. These 2nd requests only happen in an extremely small number of cases. It is completely true that the burden on a business the size of Utz from moving forward on this type of thing is huge, and the chance of getting approval even after putting together the mountains of information is not better than 50%. I applaud Mike Rice for being wise enough to know that this was not going to be a good thing for his company or employees. Selling to Snyder's was something that would have been good for both companies. He would have had no reason to think the FTC would put them to this level of scrutiny, and it is perfectly reasonable that he did not want to take the risk after it came to this. In both instances he was doing what he thought was best for the company and employees.
Hanover resident

Harrisburg, PA

#19 Nov 5, 2009
So I guess there will be no Snutz! LOL!
Timeout

West Chester, PA

#20 Nov 5, 2009
Fed up wrote:
I find it completely ludicrous and sad that people are so suspicious and uninformed. I have a friend who is an attorney with the FTC. When the FTC comes back with a 2nd request the extensive questions are unbelievable. These 2nd requests only happen in an extremely small number of cases. It is completely true that the burden on a business the size of Utz from moving forward on this type of thing is huge, and the chance of getting approval even after putting together the mountains of information is not better than 50%. I applaud Mike Rice for being wise enough to know that this was not going to be a good thing for his company or employees. Selling to Snyder's was something that would have been good for both companies. He would have had no reason to think the FTC would put them to this level of scrutiny, and it is perfectly reasonable that he did not want to take the risk after it came to this. In both instances he was doing what he thought was best for the company and employees.
If selling to Snyder's would be good for both companies, then why not continue to go through the process? Why did Utz give up already? If something is worth attaining, then do the work that needs to be done to do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marshall Islands immigrants in Springdale, Arka... (Feb '08) Jun 22 Heretic 60
News Many concerns as China eyes largest U.S. pork c... (Jul '13) Jun 20 lavon affair 9
News Sensient expanding in Amboy Jun 8 pic 1
News Cal-Maine Foods Names New Vice President Of Ope... Jun 3 Normal Everyday P... 1
News Campbell Soup Is Shutting Down Sacramento Plant (Sep '12) May '15 Ronald was a poser 7
News Tyson Foods to close Georgia chicken plant, cut... May '15 Will Dockery 6
News Hormel Worker Injured on the Job (Feb '09) May '15 whoremel 25
More from around the web