Schwan Food Co. announces job cuts

Schwan Food Co. announces job cuts

There are 41 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 1, 2008, titled Schwan Food Co. announces job cuts. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Schwan Food Co. is cutting some jobs as it tries to reorganize its home delivery business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Angry in PA

Jeannette, PA

#22 Aug 6, 2008
Warning to all route drivers (especially Excellence Routes!)
My husband has dedicated 20 years to this company and loved his job. NOW- he went from making $48,000+ a year down to a salary of $38,000. It is a mandatory rule to work 5 days a week 11.4 hours a day! Now, this does not include the time he spends driving to his route area and back, meetings....etc.

The "suits" came in and cut him (and everyone else) off at the knees. Now, he rarely sees the kids. I am basically a single mother now. The financial hit is devastating enough, the kids are heartbroken. Not to mention his psychological breakdown from going from one on the number one guys in the division to a base pay salary any 18 year old off the streets can make their first day there!

Some of it can be economy related, but remember that the delivery trucks run on propane (about$2/gallon) so they are not suffering as much as other companies.

Instead of penalizing the top guys, they should have gotten rid of the dead weight! A Chairmen's Club guy shouldn't have to pay the price for the company slackers!

To work a 4 day week, he would have to sell consistently $1500/day for a measly 1%bonus!

Look out Schwan Men and Women-this program is coming your way ...soon!
Retailreality dot net

Toledo, OH

#23 Nov 30, 2008
check out the Schwan's forum at www.retailreality.net . Over 400 members and it is free.
Revolution

Marshall, MN

#24 Dec 1, 2008
He only has to work 4 days if he makes 5850 a week. A chairman's route is 7250 a week so that should not be an issue. Most if not all chairman's routes should see a slight increase in salary.
Smelly Shelly

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Dec 1, 2008
I never did like salmanela chicken anyway
Pete Wendell

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Dec 1, 2008
Gotta pay Campbell Mithun somehow.
iceman01

Marshall, MN

#27 Dec 3, 2008
Pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>I think the business model is what isn't cutting it. Schwan's does door to door, during the day, with most households having two people working. They should move to an internet order model like Simon Delivers to move their wares, and give delivery windows with refrigerated crates. I am just never home to buy from them.
Blockhead!! They've had unattended delivery for a couple of years now.
iceman01

Marshall, MN

#28 Dec 3, 2008
Angry in PA wrote:
My husband has dedicated 20 years to this company and loved his job. NOW- he went from making $48,000+ a year down to a salary of $38,000. It is a mandatory rule to work 5 days a week 11.4 hours a day! Now, this does not include the time he spends driving to his route area and back, meetings....etc.
The "suits" came in and cut him (and everyone else) off at the knees. Now, he rarely sees the kids. I am basically a single mother now. The financial hit is devastating enough, the kids are heartbroken. Not to mention his psychological breakdown from going from one on the number one guys in the division to a base pay salary any 18 year old off the streets can make their first day there!
Some of it can be economy related, but remember that the delivery trucks run on propane (about$2/gallon) so they are not suffering as much as other companies.
Instead of penalizing the top guys, they should have gotten rid of the dead weight! A Chairmen's Club guy shouldn't have to pay the price for the company slackers!
To work a 4 day week, he would have to sell consistently $1500/day for a measly 1%bonus!
Honey, I hate to tell you this, but your husband isn't telling you everything (including who he's seeing before he comes home). If he's worked here for 20 years like you say and he's not running $8k a week and making +$55 a year then he's a slacker and should be thrown out the door!!!
former employee

Green Valley, AZ

#29 Dec 23, 2008
The trucks run off propane not gas..Schwans times are bad casue beans and rice and cheaper in an uncooked bag then in pre made food..
Joel New Orleans wrote:
The jobs that were cut I beleive were the CSS(Customer Sales Supervisor) slots. Those were people hired to work on the trucks and help the Route men sell. These are all gone, could amount to the 184 "sales" jobs lost.
They had problems but I think its the fuel prices thats killing everything. I know a lot of people that have left the company at all levels, it seems to be a mess. Its a shame becuase I loved my time with them, but its doubtful I would return anytime soon.
jct

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Dec 23, 2008
Schwans making cuts -- next thing we'll here is that gastric bypass doctors will be laying off too.
Former Schwans Guy

Winnipeg, Canada

#31 Dec 28, 2008
the Schwans Company is crooked as a 3 dollar bill.

hopefully they will be out of business soon.
bobareebop

Riverside, CA

#32 Jul 14, 2009
I worked for Schwan's Home Service for 14 years, as a Route Manager and as a Sales Manager. I was very successful in both positions. The company started going downhill whan they started to "go corporate" around the year 2000. The people that had led the company through amazing growth periods (Gordie Molitor, Gary Zent, Mel Bump, Steve Koch, et al) were leaving or were already gone, and high-level decisions were now being made by MBA's who had never loaded a truck, ran a route day, or managed a sales depot. The autonomy of the sales manager to make decisions was taken away in stages. The trucks were chronically iced up and overloaded due to too many products, we had terrible slow HHC hardware and software, and the entire route sales operation was slowed down. A route manager simply could not get to as many people in a day as he used to. Fewer stops = fewer BC's = less revenue = leff profit. That's what happened from my perspective.
Jus Sayin

Zanesville, OH

#33 Jun 25, 2010
Dave wrote:
Schwans does NOT run on FUEL. Propane tanks in all or most of their trucks.
DUH propane is fuel. Duh. Propane is gas and gas is fuel.
jlight

Highlandville, MO

#34 Sep 13, 2011
New pay scale starts next month I'm curious to see how it pans out seems confising to me been with company 3 yrs enjoy job but make changes constantly also only allow 5 days vacation in a row.
Rick

Elko, NV

#35 Jan 24, 2012
Just found out they are cutting back in Nevada
John

Oak Hill, WV

#36 Jul 20, 2014
Schwan's has become a greedy and heartless company. Our DSL (district sales leader) coached our 'team' on how to push sales on elderly widows who can't afford to buy this time because they just paid their bills. "Tell her you have to show the items (value bag items) to each and every customer, and she may end up pulling a $20 bill out from under her mattress", he said to us.

They have cut our pay quite a bit these last few years. We once made $38,000 a year salary, plus commission, had contests, and demoed our new products on a regular basis. Then they decided to pay us $50 a day, plus a $50 'incentive' for meeting 3 time metrics, which are not always possible to meet, and the rest is commission. THEN, under the guise of preventing employees from unfairly servicing high-buying customers on the same day to rack up their commission for that one day, they changed our pay from a daily commission system, to a weekly one. So if I am working a week where it snows heavily on my 2 best days and is sunny on my 3 average days, my pay gets cut a LOT. Plus our vacation pay is now changed so that someone running our route week who is unfamiliar with the area/GPS glitches will unintentionally cause our pay to get cut. The new CEO, who has around a 20% approval rating, is all about simplifying and saving the company more money. He's sure doing it! Our depot is always short on supplies & food and our equipment is messing up much more than it ever has. And how about that nearly $2 delivery fee for each customer, even at group stops for multiple people? But you won't hear about any of this from your Schwan's guy/gal.

Each day, we are expected to meet our sales goal, buying customer goal, new customer goal, Just4U goals, and contest unit goals, as well as email penetration.. and for an average (my depot, at least) of $40 LESS per paycheck.

Marvin Schwan would be utterly disgusted if he could have foreseen the avaricious actions his beloved company has resorted to. Stop buying so much Schwan's, write to the company and tell them your thoughts. Maybe then you and your Schwan's guy/gal will be treated better.

-John
Bravo 2-9er

Eminence, KY

#37 Aug 10, 2014
Go DFL wrote:
Schwan trucks take gas and gas is bought from Exxon, so this probably isn't bad in the long run. Exxon should have to pay for this. Gobama!
The trucks run off propane and have done so for a few decades
craigejr

Jamestown, NY

#38 Sep 3, 2014
I have been employed by Schwan's for 10 months now and I for one am thoroughly disgusted with the new pay structure . I worked my ass off all winter long in the worst winter we have seen in decades... I built up routes, added new customers , took and doubled entire route system went from 600-800 average to 1400-1800 averages everyday .... skated into chairmans club and quite possibly rookie of the year award and the new system sucks. Some of us did it the right way on the daily incentive plan . we built out " bad" days and didn't move customers to good days to work the system and we got hung for it . Now you no longer get rewarded for running 1800 on mon, 1600 on tues ....instead you have a bad Wednesday and run 700 you get punished on your mon and tues thurs and fri . that is boarderline illegal ... how do you " take away" money and pay from days past because you have a single bad day? I personally think schwans would be the perfect story for " undercover boss"
stilwell

Tulsa, OK

#39 Oct 3, 2014
well let me just say the stilwell plant isn't much better we have had bugs in the flour since febuary and our head guy shaun Williams knew it and only jjust ordered them to spray last week and he isn't ever at the plant. and the flour cylo is full of flur with dead bugs and bug spray and he didn't even have it cleaned out. they found meth in the dough room it was reported nothing done.im calling osha Monday!!!!if osha comes here they will close the doors believe me.corperated is here right now but hell they don't care guarantee nothing will done.now I here they will close either the marshall plant or the stilwell plant depends on who gets the pecan pie.who knows they need to clean up this plant starting with the people who run it
monksterQ

Louisville, KY

#40 Nov 1, 2014
iceman01 wrote:
<quoted text> Blockhead!! They've had unattended delivery for a couple of years now.
Ma'am or sir, you can receive unattended delivery day or night or get service at your door day or night. Go to Schwans,com, put in order, leave how you want to pay on the screen and Schwans will deliver it that way. I have customers that leave a key out for me, I take their groceries put them in freezer, leave receipt, put key back, and am grateful for their patronage. Sometimes I have customers that don't get home till 9 or 10 at night, so I plan my day so I'm at their door when they want me there. There are different ways for solutions. Give us a try. Thanks.
monksterQ

Louisville, KY

#41 Nov 1, 2014
Angry in PA wrote:
your husband has been working for Schwans for 20 years and has never made more than 48k? what does he do all day? he is suppose to clock in for meetings as a matter of fact, he is suppose to clock in as soon as he gets there. you havent been told about everything that goes on during his day. and because of that, he has made you to look like a fool on here. instead of blasting his company on social media, you should be asking him questions as to what is really going on. go to his depot and have the tsl print you a copy of the percentages of how he gets paid. something isnt adding up. I doubt very seriously that you are as gullible as you are making yourself out to be on here. good luck to you.hope everything works out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Your Side - Pot Pie Recall (Oct '07) Thu PRIME RIB 51
News Tyson Foods: New facility in Tennessee to creat... Jan 15 Lawrence Wolf 85
News Sensient expanding in Amboy (Jun '15) Dec 29 Lorna 3
News Gay groups seek to buy NYC church known for hat... (Feb '16) Nov '17 The Last Warrior ... 26
News The Makers of Brownberry Bread Restore a Classic (Jun '07) Nov '17 Sharon Carroll 49
News cold, economy drive more homeless to seek help (Dec '08) Nov '17 Kenny Nichols 5
News Layoffs coming at Shaw's supermarkets: Chain to... (Nov '12) Sep '17 Stephen D Clark 7
More from around the web