Fires damage four Salinas homes: evid...

Fires damage four Salinas homes: evidence of illegal fireworks in n...

There are 23 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jul 6, 2010, titled Fires damage four Salinas homes: evidence of illegal fireworks in n.... In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

The home of George Tanimura, co-chairman of the board at Tanimura & Antle Fresh Foods, Inc., caught fire shortly before 7p.m. Sunday, spreading to two adjacent homes in south Salinas in an incident suspected of being caused by illegal fireworks, according to officials from the Salinas Fire Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
noone

Salinas, CA

#1 Jul 6, 2010
Some people always have to learn the hard way.
media snark

Salinas, CA

#2 Jul 6, 2010
A very selfish act by someone who does not respect the property of others. I never leave my house during the Independence Day holiday. There are too many illegal fireworks in town, so I stay to make sure my house doesn't burn to the ground.
Worthy1

Risingsun, OH

#3 Jul 6, 2010
There will always be illegal fire works. There is no way to control them. They are brought in from out country and do considerable damage. We have been under fire with illegal fire bombs, etc constantly since Thursday. They start at 6 a.m. and go way after midnight. Makes me wonder if the users ever sleep.
capt crunch

Salinas, CA

#4 Jul 6, 2010
The police were sitting their car at the Lutheran church on blanco st watching the sykyrockets and did nothing.They watch while rome burns. Same thing happened last year.
MZG

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Jul 6, 2010
That's what we get for having lazy cops who do nothing whatsoever to prevent illegal fireworks from being sold, bought and used. Even what little they do react to ends up punished with laughable fines, so no one pays attention to the ban. The "Peninsula's finest" are fat bureaucrats too busy fighting traffic violations to even worry about petty stuff like burned neighborhoods; real heroes.
Marie

Hilmar, CA

#6 Jul 6, 2010
He should sue the city for passing the bill to sell dangerous fireworks for children to light up & play with matches. The whole city was full of smoke and fire works exploding in the streets, on sigewalkd , on dry grass- it was like a warzone. Parents letting little kiss running around kiki little injuns with matches. And explosives. No where else allows this. You could Not yell if the explosions were gunshots it not. This could result in city being sued for allowing this dangerous stuff
Dick

San Jose, CA

#7 Jul 6, 2010
Police said " oh, let them have some fun". After we complained about all the smoke and loud blasts that sounded like shotgun blasts. After 10 pm. Illegal works in the sky all over north salinas homes. When the children get an arm blown off- then will they vote against this nonsense???? Have the rodeo stadium do professional firework show for free. Not give children matches and fire works. That is child endangerment. Shame on those parents. Heck' most of them are illegals themselves. If the houses are burnt down. The city is responsible for allowing this disaster
something has to change

Salinas, CA

#8 Jul 6, 2010
1. I am VERY sorry for the people that lost their home
2. Thank you neighbor Jose Proa and others that jumped into action
3. It is NOT the fault of police, blame the people that bring them in use them(like that woman on Garner Ave. and was busted by police)
4. please arrest the idiots that shoot live amo into the air, neighbors, be responsible and report to police
capt crunch

Salinas, CA

#9 Jul 6, 2010
The mayor made promises that this pyrotechnic love fest would not be allowed after the same thing went on last year. Now we have the captains of industry with their houses burning down .
Mtry Alex

Monterey, CA

#10 Jul 6, 2010
Time to stop selling ALL fireworks in California.
My thoughts are

Hayward, CA

#11 Jul 6, 2010
Residents called police dept to report that fireworks, and illegal ones were flaring up. Smoke filled some streets, and one could not see thru the smoke. Kids were running around with big sparklers in both their hands screaming and yelling, supposedly "safe and sane" fireworks were on the streets, sidewalks and driveways, where dry brush was close, kids lighting matches to the fireworks, and this went on all night from 9pm until? I was still hearing blasts till near 2 am. The real illegal ones going into the sky, the fines are 1,200.00 where the police were just sitting there. They said they cant catch them, that when they drive down the street, the kids run and they can't find them., however they were just sitting there. How about all the smoke and air pollution? Nice cars and homes were engulfed in smoke and firesparks were all over everywhere, igniting homes. He is right. The city passed this law this year for safe and sane fireworks, and who can tell if they are not gunshots? You can't ! In a city such as Salinas with all its violence and gang shootings, The city has NO Right to allow this, and now many homes were engulfed in flames. Stop this Fireworks nonsense in the future. The produce man should just sue the city for passing this annoyance to happen.
deja vu

Seaside, CA

#12 Jul 6, 2010
Based on the comments, it appears the police were given a "stand down" order from Mayor Dennis Donohue. Where was Mayor Donohue while "Rome burned" that night?
My thoughts are wrote:
Residents called police dept to report that fireworks, and illegal ones were flaring up. Smoke filled some streets, and one could not see thru the smoke. Kids were running around with big sparklers in both their hands screaming and yelling, supposedly "safe and sane" fireworks were on the streets, sidewalks and driveways, where dry brush was close, kids lighting matches to the fireworks, and this went on all night from 9pm until? I was still hearing blasts till near 2 am. The real illegal ones going into the sky, the fines are 1,200.00 where the police were just sitting there. They said they cant catch them, that when they drive down the street, the kids run and they can't find them., however they were just sitting there. How about all the smoke and air pollution? Nice cars and homes were engulfed in smoke and firesparks were all over everywhere, igniting homes. He is right. The city passed this law this year for safe and sane fireworks, and who can tell if they are not gunshots? You can't ! In a city such as Salinas with all its violence and gang shootings, The city has NO Right to allow this, and now many homes were engulfed in flames. Stop this Fireworks nonsense in the future. The produce man should just sue the city for passing this annoyance to happen.
rbrtgrdn

United States

#13 Jul 6, 2010
lol...it is so funny reading this garbage. People want their cake and eat it too. Police are damned if they do, damned it they don't.
rbrtgrdn

United States

#14 Jul 6, 2010
BTW, if children were running around lighting fireworks, that is the PARENTS fault, not the authorities. People need to take responsibility for their own actions...that includes being a bad parent.
every year

Chico, CA

#15 Jul 6, 2010
This happens every year. In Salinas and Seaside. I know for a fact that Seaside PD and Fire aggressively patrol for illegal fireworks. I believe salinas was doing the same. People have to realize that if a person or persons are in there back yard or in there house when the police or fire departments arrive there is nothing that can be done. The police and fire departments don't have the right to enter someones house for this type of offense. That means if the people see the fire investigators or police officers coming and go inside there homes there is nothing that can be done. Unless the officer sees the person holding or lighting the firework then all the crowd has to do is play dumb. No proof, no ticket. Laws need to be past that the homeowner of the property where fireworks are being set off are liable for a major fine.$1500 +++. If you allow it to happen at your house its your ticket. Sound good?

I agree with one of the earlier posts when they say, its not the cops fault for bad parenting. Those same bad parents are the same people setting off illegal fireworks. The penalty is not stiff enough. who cares about a ticket that will never be collected on. Take them to jail and sit through the holiday weekend then make them pay the fine before being released. Wheres the Sheriff from AZ when you need him.
YO MAMA

Chualar, CA

#16 Jul 6, 2010
Maybe police should arrest people with illigal fireworks not just giving them a fine $1,000

The antisocials that cause such things affecting innocent people should pay for this.

WAKE UP AMERICA.....
Ralph Gaily

Marina, CA

#17 Jul 6, 2010
The firemen deserve every dime they earn!
capt crunch

Salinas, CA

#18 Jul 6, 2010
every year wrote:
This happens every year. In Salinas and Seaside. I know for a fact that Seaside PD and Fire aggressively patrol for illegal fireworks. I believe salinas was doing the same. People have to realize that if a person or persons are in there back yard or in there house when the police or fire departments arrive there is nothing that can be done. The police and fire departments don't have the right to enter someones house for this type of offense. That means if the people see the fire investigators or police officers coming and go inside there homes there is nothing that can be done. Unless the officer sees the person holding or lighting the firework then all the crowd has to do is play dumb. No proof, no ticket. Laws need to be past that the homeowner of the property where fireworks are being set off are liable for a major fine.$1500 +++. If you allow it to happen at your house its your ticket. Sound good?
I agree with one of the earlier posts when they say, its not the cops fault for bad parenting. Those same bad parents are the same people setting off illegal fireworks. The penalty is not stiff enough. who cares about a ticket that will never be collected on. Take them to jail and sit through the holiday weekend then make them pay the fine before being released. Wheres the Sheriff from AZ when you need him.
groups of 20 or more People were using the middle of the street for a launching pad for exploding skyrockets and strings of fire crackers while police looked on and didn't intervene. What does that tell you ?
Mexicans Trash

Pacific Grove, CA

#19 Jul 7, 2010
And you want to nlive in Salinas?
every year

Berry Creek, CA

#20 Jul 7, 2010
capt crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
groups of 20 or more People were using the middle of the street for a launching pad for exploding skyrockets and strings of fire **** while police looked on and didn't intervene. What does that tell you ?
Tells me that they didn't want to start a riot. Out numbered, out gunned, and citizens that wont stand up for there own neighborhoods for fear of being shot. If you don't like where you live, move. PD and Fire has there hands tied. Are fireworks really worth getting into an altercation or wouldn't it be better to try and keep the piece for a few nights out of the year and let people do what they are going to do no matter what PD or Fire does.

Im just guessing that if PD or Fire did intervene and the crowd became unruly and began damaging property or even worse hurting people you would be blaming the PD/FD for getting involved and "starting it". Then there would be the claims of harassment and discrimination. All this because a few people don't like fireworks.

SOMETIMES KEEPING THE PIECE IS, OBSERVE AND CONTAIN. NOT INTERVENE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News High court rejects farmer who tangled with Tyson (Jan '11) Tue Ms Mundane 13
News Tyson Foods: New facility in Tennessee to creat... Feb 19 Guest 119
Working Principle of Maize Flour Milling Machine (Apr '14) Feb 8 Win Tone 4
News Kraft's salad dressing fix: Shake up well (Feb '08) Feb 1 Garlic Lover 55
News On Your Side - Pot Pie Recall (Oct '07) Jan '18 PRIME RIB 51
News Sensient expanding in Amboy (Jun '15) Dec '17 Lorna 3
News Gay groups seek to buy NYC church known for hat... (Feb '16) Nov '17 The Last Warrior ... 26
More from around the web