General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division

Jul 10, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bloomberg

General Electric Co. , two months after placing its century-old appliance unit on the block, said it plans to spin off its entire GE Consumer & Industrial group to shareholders as Chief Executive Officer ...

Comments
5,201 - 5,220 of 5,448 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 17
Thomas Scutillo

West Union, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

social disease social disease - The Free Dictionary
www.thefreedictionary.com/social+disease
A disease having its highest incidence among socioeconomic groups predisposed to it by a given set of adverse living or working condition
Thomas Scutillo

West Union, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

you can't break a union that is already broke,,,, have you tried the terror of prosecutors Plaintiffs and pukes and charging me with everything under the sun if we dont pay you and do your job too? i love being coerced by a tard with a atitude
incandescent

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

i beg to differ a bit. i wonder if one contributing reason ge is trying to keep the ohio lamp plant open and make the halogen A19 bulbs is to stay competitive with osram sylvania as well as needing more capacity to make these bulbs? osram sylvania makes all of their different types of halogens in the usa, it is not even a secret. it was even on the news a couple of years ago. also the incandescent ban is making little of a difference on bulb selection in stores. in california where the ban is one year ahead, stores still have the familiar 4 packs everyone has bought for decades. just now they come in weird wattages like 53w, 72w etc and they cost a bit more too. plenty of shelf space for these in stores too.

still, i'm not so sure about the cuts ge wanted to do. taking away part of the pension the workers worked so hard to earn, its not the workers' problem it is ge's problem i think.
ex- dead end job employee

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Screwed wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. OUR union wants us to lose %15 of our pay while freezing our wages. The plant would stay open till 2015 (just in time for the next contract to kick in). We will receive 2 A19 machines which SUPPOSEDLY create 50 jobs. They're going to let the 60 yr olds retire if they want to at %75 of pay. They're still laying off 35-40 people. Taking most of the machines out that we have. We're supposed to vote Monday. It's a joke!!!
lol they did that crap to dover last 2 contracts. I worked for this slug of a company 2 +years . this is the reason I quit!!!!they scared lukealux people to vote for it , then the next year there jobs went to Hungry.
onetime

Dallas City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

The economics in America has changed. I don't understand how corporations can continously treat their employees like they are the enemy or the competition. They should be treating their competitors like the competition. I guess it is the last resort after outsourcing and finding cheaper labor and little to no regulations on the other side of the world. How do they reason that all of these former employees are even going to buy their products anymore? It's a downward spiral. As a former employee, sad to say, I have never purchased another of their products.

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

boy it would suck to make 26to 30$ an hr and find out your job was gone. how would you live without 4 wheelers , 2 and 3 trucks, campers ,motorcycles and sports cars ? and no skill!!! I guess it would suck on your end .....
Thomas Scutillo

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

I HAVE A SKILL but i can't make a light bulb or supply the planet with them...there is skill in that system somewhere......
Thomas Scutillo

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

like putting workers in place.... and materials to make a light bulb,,,,,,,,, the issue seems to be WHERE TO PUT THE PLANT IN PLACE doesn't it
Thomas Scutillo

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

when i look outside the GE box ...first thing i see is a city of attitude AND MOUTH!

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Scutillo wrote:
when i look outside the GE box ...first thing i see is a city of attitude AND MOUTH!
I was in the g.e. box!!! skilled i'am ... skilled I left !!! attitude?? try working next to 30 $ hr guys that didn't do the 4 year atate apprenticeship !!! that bitch and make 12 $$$$ on the hr than the rest ... I see reality!!!! my skill I took else where ... your skill will be a wall mart greeter when your plant closes !!your skill was luck when you got your sugar coated job that you wine about !!!msking light bulbs jerking wire will not get you anything outside of the G.E. BOX!!!

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Thomas Scutillo wrote:
there is more,,,, but a attitude dont make you a lamp maker
lamp maker ..lol is that like tool and die maker????

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Scutillo wrote:
your just like the rest of the over paid out of touch with reality g.e. employees . when they cut your wage and shut your plant, you are done ... no skill nothing . you will be working at speedway .. then you can bitch!!!!!!! journeyman means journey on man !!!! not welcome to wall mart . say that practice it ... so your good at it

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

ex- dead end job employee wrote:
<quoted text>lamp maker ..lol is that like tool and die maker????
journeyman lamp maker.....lol where did you go to school for that??????????is that like an r15 25.635AN HR FLOOR SCRUBBER???my god you are a joke!!!
Thomas Scutillo

Aberdeen, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

issue 5 collective bargaining watch this tard play outside the box and china win everytime....blame the union? you dont do creepy citys Political Governance

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

yep china will win .that's where the lighting is going . union worked out great for the "D" rates . helped us out wonderful! union saved your overpaid gravy job . your own skin that's all that it helped..
incandescent

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

yeah that is ge. i have a good friend who is a lamp engineer he works on lamp techology etc for one of the major manufacturers. he initially worked for ge in r&d and he had to get out quickly because of all the issues with the company. he got himself a stable, successful job with another lighting company. he also said that ge's lighting division has very low profit margins. you know, in recent years i have noticed a decline in GE's market share in lighting. in california not many supermarkets carry GE bulbs anymore.

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

when I got my job at g.e. I thought I had a good job until I found out how they are . American workers are nothing but temps..
clueless

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

when I got my job at g.e. I thought I had a good job until I found out how they are . American workers are nothing but temps..
I agree that RLP Plant was the worst run Plant to work at. Amd YES the life working outside G.E. is GREAT. Where are you working at now ?
clueless

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>I was in the g.e. box!!! skilled i'am ... skilled I left !!! attitude?? try working next to 30 $ hr guys that didn't do the 4 year atate apprenticeship !!! that bitch and make 12 $$$$ on the hr than the rest ... I see reality!!!! my skill I took else where ... your skill will be a wall mart greeter when your plant closes !!your skill was luck when you got your sugar coated job that you wine about !!!msking light bulbs jerking wire will not get you anything outside of the G.E. BOX!!!
Why did you hate the people so much ..... 4 year degree to worl there. I don't think so , all you had to do was have family get you in with no training and knowledge as to what the job was . Some will take their crossword and internet skills to the nearby fast food.
BLP

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

GE Lighting can't sell enough LFL's. 1 T-12 & 3 T-8 LFL HSH groups running & they are talkng of 5 weeks of LOW because of warehouse full. Survey's of the property & building permits in the local paper after Chip Blankenship visit but mangement doesn't know where the work is going. Something is going on.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Financial Services Forum right now

Search the Financial Services Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman Accused of Stealing Rent Monies from Dime... (Apr '13) Sat ohisee 301
Exxon Mobil Report Fuels Panic on Street (Jul '07) Jul 25 Human at Earth 76
Cruz, Abbott: Obama to blame for flood of minors Jul 25 BigBadWolf 25
Citigroup reaches deal to repay $20 billion in ... (Dec '09) Jul 24 Set Record Straight 4
Paulson Distances Himself From A.I.G. Payments (Jan '10) Jul 24 swedenforever 5
Stocks plummet as Paulson says Feds won't buy b... (Nov '08) Jul 23 swedenforever 19
Banks trade barbs with U.S. Senate panel in tax... Jul 23 Captain Yesterday 1
•••
•••