General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sal...

General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division

There are 5481 comments on the Bloomberg story from Jul 10, 2008, titled General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

General Electric Co. , two months after placing its century-old appliance unit on the block, said it plans to spin off its entire GE Consumer & Industrial group to shareholders as Chief Executive Officer ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

Screwed

Strongsville, OH

#5347 Apr 2, 2013
So the vote was made at Ohio Lamp and it was 85 to keep it open and 91 to close. Guess it threw the company for a loop because I'm hearing that they want the union to make another proposal. I thought once the 60 days was up and a proposal accepted by the company and voted on....that was the final word. Now we have to vote on something else!!!! Come on GE!!! You never planned on closing the doors did you? You just wanted to cut wages and ruin retirements. It's pushing a wedge between ALL of the employees that will NEVER heal.
been there

United States

#5348 Apr 2, 2013
Good for them for making a stand
RLP Retiree

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#5350 Apr 4, 2013
I can't blame the senior employees at Ohio Lamp for voting to close the plant so they can collect their plant closing benefits and pension. I would have voted the same way. The company's offer was horrible for senior employees.
Thomas Scutillo

United States

#5351 Apr 4, 2013
o·ver·haul (vr-hôl, vr-hôl)
tr.v. o·ver·hauled, o·ver·haul·ing, o·ver·hauls
a. To examine or go over carefully for needed repairs.
b. To dismantle in order to make repairs.
c. Nautical To slacken (a line) or to release and separate the blocks of (a tackle).
2. To make extensive renovations or revisions on; renovate: proposals to overhaul the health care system.
3. To catch up with; overtake.
n.(vr-hôl)
1. An act of overhauling.
2. A repair job.
housewhite

United States

#5352 Apr 5, 2013
RLP Retiree wrote:
I can't blame the senior employees at Ohio Lamp for voting to close the plant so they can collect their plant closing benefits and pension. I would have voted the same way. The company's offer was horrible for senior employees.
That's nice and everything, but where are the children and grandchildren of the senior employees going to work?
NotGood

Akron, OH

#5353 Apr 5, 2013
housewhite wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice and everything, but where are the children and grandchildren of the senior employees going to work?
One thing is for sure, they won't be working there. Even if they keep it open, it is only for the short term.
Thomas Scutillo

United States

#5354 Apr 5, 2013
(-_-)zzz weariness and discontent
lost in lighting

Buchtel, OH

#5355 Apr 6, 2013
housewhite wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess they will work in China, Europe or India. GE years ago
made the decision to move those jobs. Lighting in the US is
dyeing off. GE keeps taking more and more from the employees
and we have finally said enough. We can not live on the wages
they pay the people overseas and we shouldn't have to live on
those wages. We pay more for our health insurance now and if
you have a family, that has really hurt. Now we have to worry
more with the next contract in 2015, as we are sure they will
want to take even more away from us. The older worker will get
their retirements, younger ones can take advantage of schooling
and learn a new trade.
Thomas Scutillo

Bellefontaine, OH

#5356 Apr 6, 2013
WELL SOMEONE IN THE LEADERSHIP IS OFF TOPIC and looking for someone else to blame like me, China, Europe or India and everyone else
Thomas Scutillo

Bellefontaine, OH

#5357 Apr 6, 2013
and so goes the proven leadership INTO THE TINY PASTURES his non growing work force built,,, with noise like better you then me
Thomas Scutillo

Bellefontaine, OH

#5358 Apr 6, 2013
i'm sure the growing workforce better known as China, Europe or India says better us the you WARREN LAMP too
Thomas Scutillo

Bellefontaine, OH

#5359 Apr 6, 2013
the tiny boy has his peanut judgement out...... still (-_-)zzz weariness and discontent
Thomas Scutillo

Stout, OH

#5360 Apr 6, 2013
the GE supreme authority has made his judgement ...any questions?
Omega

Lexington, KY

#5361 Apr 7, 2013
Thomas is there something you want to say that really has relevance other than your babbling?
I think we could all use a drink of the good stuff you seem to have been hitting! We all know to well how many large companies have sent there labor force elsewhere to save a dollar. State something of relevance or contribute least we all brand you a total moron!
Thomas Scutillo

United States

#5362 Apr 7, 2013
yeah the union said to stop referring to its members as drunks and druggys
Thomas Scutillo

United States

#5363 Apr 7, 2013
there is more,,,, but a attitude dont make you a lamp maker
Thomas Scutillo

United States

#5364 Apr 7, 2013
ok yeah thank you for providing that high and might comment,,,, it will come in handy for future employees
wondering

Leesburg, GA

#5365 Apr 7, 2013
Thomas Scutillo wrote:
yeah the union said to stop referring to its members as drunks and druggys
Wish you would go away!
Somerset Glass

London, KY

#5366 Apr 7, 2013
Kinda sounds like the company didn't really want to fully close. Instead they just wanted more concessions so a future closing based on lower wages and benefits wouldn't be as costly! Well best of luck to you OLP. Sorry to see another lighting plant close. How much longer before we at SGP shuts it's doors? I'm guessing the wait won't be that long. Immelt himself said that GE's future is in China. People just trying to make a living and the corporate greed is running this country into the ground.
Thomas Scutillo

United States

#5367 Apr 7, 2013
looks more like operation enduring atitude

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News KPMG insiders warned Isle of Man tax scheme cou... Jun 29 Usertame 1
News Goldman called clients 'muppets,' ex-executive ... (Mar '12) Jun 28 Mubaraks Billions 107
News Paulson defends Merrill Lynch deal (Jul '09) Jun 28 Swedenforever 6
News Bank of America Cuts This High Profile Name (Mar '13) Jun 28 integrity watch 5
News Why Wall Street fought so hard against Brexit Jun 25 Rbb 1
News Pawlenty to Become Wall Street Lobbyist (Sep '12) Jun 22 Deadbart 12
News Five big banks face criminal charges and $5 bil... (May '15) Jun 22 Fraud 53
More from around the web