General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2008, Bloomberg story titled General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

General Electric Co. , two months after placing its century-old appliance unit on the block, said it plans to spin off its entire GE Consumer & Industrial group to shareholders as Chief Executive Officer ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

lampgirl

Strongsville, OH

#5324 Mar 3, 2013
Jobs gone wrote:
Im glad Ravenna is closing its doors. After 20 years of dealing with the impossible goal of six sigma, incompetent management, Machinery that is on its last leg and no money in the budget to make things better, No new products coming into the plant, We have a plant manager that tells the plant that we should be good for another 10 years then the following week announces the plant closing, We have an MSO that sneaks around up on mezanines and catwalks looking down on people making sure they are doing their jobs. This has become a hostile work environment that I am thrilled that I will not be involved with anymore. I'm gonna take my severance, go on vacation, take advantage of the TAA re-education program, take advantage of any G.E. programs and instead of going to a job, I will have a career that I can be proud of, make more money, be happy going to work and happy coming home. To me this is not doom and gloom, It's a joyous awakening and an opportunity for a better life. This has been the answer to my prayers.
Make sure Suzie Q has filed for you to have TAA/TRA. If not 3 employees can download & file for themselves. This process takes time, so get started now. And, yes, if you do your homework, you can get the skills to make just as much as you made @ GE. We wish you luck!

Since: Nov 12

Philippines

#5325 Mar 4, 2013
nice thread. thanks for sharing that information. it was very informative.
[url=http://www.legacylegal.co m/credit-education/credit-topi cs/best-credit-repair.asp]wait ing for approval[/url]
lighting employee

United States

#5326 Mar 12, 2013
When ge told they was shutting down Ohio lamp and or ravenna did ron Wilson show up about that same time I heard he was making a visit to the plant I work at and I think there's more to the whole picture than what meets the eye
here we go again

United States

#5327 Mar 12, 2013
lighting employee wrote:
When ge told they was shutting down Ohio lamp and or ravenna did ron Wilson show up about that same time I heard he was making a visit to the plant I work at and I think there's more to the whole picture than what meets the eye
When the plant I worked for he showed up for a visit and gave a great review only to be told two months later we were closing I worked for one of the lighting plants that close in 08. Wishing you a good visit and many years of working there.
tired

Circleville, OH

#5328 Mar 12, 2013
lighting employee wrote:
What plant do you work at?
lighting employee

United States

#5329 Mar 12, 2013
tired wrote:
<quoted text>What plant do you work at?
Lexington
Clp

Van Wert, OH

#5330 Mar 13, 2013
here we go again wrote:
<quoted text>
When the plant I worked for he showed up for a visit and gave a great review only to be told two months later we were closing I worked for one of the lighting plants that close in 08. Wishing you a good visit and many years of working there.
thats just what he told Circleville lamp plant
Clp1990s

Cleveland, OH

#5331 Mar 13, 2013
Wilson has made his name shutting down Lighting. Dude doesn't care about people. He doesn't even care about his management team. He forgets his roots, coming up through the ranks in Lighting, specifically at CLP. You'd think he would want to grow the busines helped catupult his career high into the six figure jobs, a top of Lighting. This is not Ron though. Shut it down. Close it. Send it to Mexico, Hungry or anywere but here in the USA. Yes Sir, Jeff, Jack, Jim, or whomever.
Do you even remember the folks that loved you so dearly? Head HR guy...Iknow you are reading this...why don't you ask Ron for us?
Ron, wake up and smell the coffee. Once Lighting is gone, you won't get promoted for all your "hard work" shutting down factories. You won't be needed either and to corporate, your just a number too. Maybe a reality check would do you good.
Thomas Scutillo

Aberdeen, OH

#5332 Mar 14, 2013
GE is non smoking now,,,,, ITS OK IF NON SMOKERS LOOSE THEIR JOB,,,,, just like it is ok if a smoker lost their job
tired

Columbus, OH

#5333 Mar 15, 2013
Clp wrote:
<quoted text>thats just what he told Circleville lamp plant
SO Circleville Lamp Plant was told they were closing?
Malcolm

Chillicothe, OH

#5334 Mar 16, 2013
tired wrote:
<quoted text>SO Circleville Lamp Plant was told they were closing?
Not that we're closing, that we're doing a great job of cleaning up the place, integrating the 5S program and using the LEAN process. Just blowing smoke if you ask me. You don't become a multi-billion dollar, worldwide company without knowing what's going on. They know what they're going to do with CLP already, they just want to play their games. GE doesn't care about their people, it's all about the money now.
Somerset Glass

United States

#5336 Mar 19, 2013
Anyone hear how OHIO Lamp's proposal went?
passing_thru

Dublin, OH

#5338 Mar 22, 2013
GE sucks. The CEOs are far from brilliant. Yes, profitability is important, but when it becomes THE ONLY THING, business people generally start screwing the employees. Eliminating jobs to increase profits is something a trained monkey could do. Try innovating and CREATING jobs. Then the colleges of business will not look like a simplistic joke.
Somerset Glass

United States

#5339 Mar 22, 2013
passing_thru wrote:
GE sucks. The CEOs are far from brilliant. Yes, profitability is important, but when it becomes THE ONLY THING, business people generally start screwing the employees. Eliminating jobs to increase profits is something a trained monkey could do. Try innovating and CREATING jobs. Then the colleges of business will not look like a simplistic joke.
Agreed.
Lexington worker

Lexington, KY

#5340 Mar 23, 2013
Ron Wilson comes to lexington every spring so he can go to Keeneland horse races.
Somerset Glass

United States

#5341 Mar 27, 2013
I understand why Ron would stop by there if he's going to be at keeneland but supposedly he's coming to SGP on 4-11. And we're not going to be running then either. Two weeks out to go along with Lexington's production. I don't like out of the blue visits especially on a down year and after the Ohio lamp announcement.
Screwed

Brunswick, OH

#5343 Mar 30, 2013
Somerset Glass wrote:
Anyone hear how OHIO Lamp's proposal went?
Yep. OUR union wants us to lose %15 of our pay while freezing our wages. The plant would stay open till 2015 (just in time for the next contract to kick in). We will receive 2 A19 machines which SUPPOSEDLY create 50 jobs. They're going to let the 60 yr olds retire if they want to at %75 of pay. They're still laying off 35-40 people. Taking most of the machines out that we have. We're supposed to vote Monday. It's a joke!!!
incandescent

Los Angeles, CA

#5344 Mar 30, 2013
these A19 lines that would go to ohio lamp are the new halogen ones that comply with regulations, many people are buying these bulbs now. not everyone wants cfls and leds. would be nice to see the new ge halogens made in usa instead of mexico or china or hungary.
been there

Detroit, MI

#5345 Mar 31, 2013
you would do better with plant closing benefits old and new employees
Screwed

Brunswick, OH

#5346 Mar 31, 2013
How many mechanics and operators does it take to run the A19 machines?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indians taking away American jobs is a myth (Mar '10) 20 min Ture-ITprofessional 56
News Nepal troops ready aid for remote quake-hit vil... 13 hr 4500 gone 1
News 7 police officers injured in violent clash in B... 16 hr please 3
News 7 police officers injured in violent clash in B... 17 hr Seniors 2
News Huge Trouble at Foreign Toyota (May '09) Mon Leagle Beagle 316
News McNeal found guilty of second degree felony rob... (Apr '10) Mon DTM 25
News Wal-Mart CEO Doug McMillon Gets $19.4M Pay Package Apr 23 Tonya 2
More from around the web