H&R Block reviews: your taxes are wor...

H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look

There are 158 comments on the Daily Dispatch story from Feb 25, 2012, titled H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look. In it, Daily Dispatch reports that:

Through April 30, participating H&R Block tax offices will offer taxpayers free Second Look reviews of their 2008-2010 income tax returns not prepared by H&R Block .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Dispatch.

Debbi

Mt Meadows Area, CA

#117 Apr 9, 2013
Quite frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about [email protected] Block. They did my sons taxes recently and forgot to include a few deductions that I found out later, my son could have used. We're getting his taxes amended but we wonder who we should use. While the preparer was pleasant, it was obvious she did not know her job fully. And it cost my son close to three hundred dollars. I thought that was a bit outrageous but my son did get back a sizeable amount so he justified it that way. Still, he needs to save money where it can be saved so he's looking into other options.

Since: Nov 12

Philippines

#118 Apr 13, 2013
nice thread. thanks for sharing that information. it was very informative.
[url=http://www.legacylegal.co m/credit-education/credit-topi cs/credit-repair-tips.asp]wait ing for approval[/url]
Customer

South San Francisco, CA

#119 Apr 14, 2013
I've never experienced such horrible, uncaring service here at H&R Block Tanforan. I'm definitely going back to Jackson Hewitt, who are more knowledgable and helpful. I tried H&R for the first time this year and was assisted by Tyler Bui. They charged me over $360 and assured me that it was filed. The following morning, I received a phone call saying that they could not file it due to an error. I was surprised that they took my money, assured that it was filed, then call the following morning telling me that that there was an error. I told them that since they can't file my tax return, I would go back to Jackson Hewitt. They said fine, but I have to file a claim to get my $360 payment back. I don't understand why they took my money, waited a day to tell me that they can't file my return due to an error (Jackson Hewitt never had that error) and refused to give my money back. This place does not have integrity at all, I don't know how others would trust them with their money.
Kjoe

Arlington, VA

#120 Apr 14, 2013
Wow! What a rip off! Never going back to H&R Block again!

Since: Sep 11

Weehawken, NJ

#121 Apr 14, 2013
Went to H and R Block for the first time today and they tried chargeing me $544. This was the charge to file my taxes jointly with my wife. It took him 36 minutes to enter the information. I was shocked and asked how could this be? He looked emberrased and said I'll do it for you for $444. I think he thought he was doing me a deal. The sad thing is I piad $444 basically for data entry, I could have used Turbotax to arrive at the same amount.
Upset Mommy

Nampa, ID

#123 Apr 22, 2013
This is the first year I decided to do my taxes with H & R block. It was the worst mistake ever. Not worth the money i paid them. And yet I filed back in January and here it is the end of April and I still have not received my refund. It has been so frustrating dealing with H & R block I WILL NEVER go thru them ever again. I feel like the more then $250 I paid them I should get back. Such a waste of time going to H &R block.
Not Impressed

Calgary, Canada

#125 Apr 28, 2013
This is the worst experience I have ever encountered. From unreturned emails and phone calls to very inexperienced corporate tax preparation and not only rude but terrible customer service. Never again.

Richmond, VA

#128 May 11, 2013
Ajeet wrote:
I wish I would have read the review before going to H&R block. People at H&R block don't have the compelete information. Its very frustating if you pay the fee and still you have to ran here and there. I have to get ITIN number for my dependent. The guy at H&R block said that I just need to submit the W7 to my local IRS office. When I went to local IRS office thet said that they don't certify the documnets for ITIN. Then I googled and found that not all the IRS office can certify the documents for ITIN or there are few certifed accepting agent who can certify the documents. When I went back to H&R block the guy there was unware of all this fact. He started telling the sotries. Then that guy call another H&R block branch and the person at another H&R blocks are unware of this information. after that I went to liberty guy there is aware of all the information about ITIN. Can anyone help me to get my money back from H&R block.
Just say f*** off to them
Don Flynn

Chicago, IL

#130 May 16, 2013
Annie wrote:
I wish I had read these reviews BEFORE I went to HR block yesterday in Brisbane. What a waste of time- I could tell the woman didn't know what she was doing- and then when it didn't come out well she asked if she could see last years return to compare what she had done !!!!!! So they got me back 90% less than last year and then $139 for the privilege. I didnt go to my regular accountant because she is sick.
I will never use them again. Actually now think if they dont know what they are doing I better have a go myself next year. I think I can do the same as they are. Since she certainly did not seem to know what she was doing. I did not realize that I would NOT be seeing an accountant when I went to H&R Block Tax Accountants. Oh well I broke my own rule- investigate before.!
Annie...Me too! I took my daughters taxes to have them done as a favor. It has been nightmarish to say the least. She went to school in MI and graduated in april so she had MI income. She was to pay $18 to the state. We just got notice that it was $433 that she owed. Botched by a 13 yr tax prep veteran. They were done in Feb and we're still waiting for her electronic fed return. Incompetent at best! We're in IL.
Matt

Lubbock, TX

#131 May 17, 2013
I filed my 2011 taxes with HRB. A few weeks later I received a letter from my state tax commission that stated I owed an additional $40. I thought "oh well" $40 is not worth the effort of arguing about. So I cut a check to the state. This year I used HRB again and the same thing happened. Only this time it was over TWICE as much as HRB had told me I owed, nearly $1000. I called HRB for help and they told me to take it up with the state! Keep in mind I was not audited, the state simply reviewed the calculations on my return. The exact thing I thought I was paying HRB for. Now I have to pay an competent person to go back and fix what HRB could not accomplish in two tries. I will not make the mistake of using these incompetent boobs again.
steve schlack

Toledo, OH

#132 May 19, 2013
Do not use hr block they just got me a garish on my payroll even. t hough i pd them clear back. They just sat on my taxs didn't turn in and now I got a mess with irs. Cause they thought I as not going to do them unreal now its going to cost me double. I sugest go somewhere else to get taxs done
Dan

Boston, MA

#134 May 23, 2013
This year was my first time using HR Block and definitely my last. I have used Turbo Tax the last ten years without ever having a problem. This year I decided to use HR Block (what a mistake). Their so called "tax experts" put the wrong account number for my direct deposit and now my money is in someone else's account. So now I am waiting for them to take my money back and redeposit it in the correct account. I feel they should pay me my money right away and they should be waiting to get the money back from the incorrect account. This is absolute B.S. that I have to wait for their mistake. The have horrible customer service and they really don't even seem to care. I have many bills that are extremely over due because of them. I hope no one else has to deal with a problem like this from HR Block that they have so far completely failed to solve. If I owed them money they would not be so patient. I for one will do my best to make sure myself and anyone I know will never use them again.
Terry

Randwick, Australia

#136 Jul 17, 2013
I wish I have read some reviews as well before going to H & R today. The accountant who I talked to seemed new to this things and I usually need help in what to claim for work because some of the accountants I've been with before would offer things or prompt me if I use this or that. The branch I went in was in Randwick, 2031 NSW. The manager was there but no help as well when I told her I wasn't happy with the service I got from her colleague. They charged me $120.00 even though I cancelled my tax lodgement with them... sure was a ripped off. I insisted I want to cancel but the manager insisted she hold on to my file until I decided to go through and then she asked me to pay for it... Been totally ripped off by those 2 people in H&R Randwick, 2031 NSW
Maree

Canberra, Australia

#137 Jul 25, 2013
Don't use H & R Block. I was treated like I was stupid and told different things that I could claim back on my tax, and when it came time to claim it all back it 'wasn't allowed'. I was charged $155 for a refund that I could have done better myself at home. I used to swear by going to them, but after this financial year I will never go back, nor will I refer ANYONE there. The shop front in Phillip (ACT, Canberra)have the most unfriendly people working there, who do not give a hoot about their clients and the money they spend there, they just get paid.
Very disappointing.
Marie

Saint Louis, MO

#142 Oct 27, 2013
accountant wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you didn't trust H&R Block, you could be getting an IRS bill for the amount they paid you for a child that is too old to claim on EIC. You CAN NOT claim a child once they are 14. FACT and LAW!! And the fact that you think you are owed this money because of a dead beat dad is amazing. Where do you think this EIC money comes from? the money fairy?
If her daughter lived with her, she would be able to claim her for the EITC credit. You are probably thinking of the the credit for dependent care (daycare or babysitters) which ends after the child is older than 13 unless they are disabled.
Someone

Lethbridge, Canada

#143 Nov 16, 2013
I had the worst experience with H&R. I am a grad student and they told me I will get around 500 dollars back, but what I got is 53 dollars and when I went to H&R block they told me "sorry we made a mistake, it happens".

Since: Nov 12

Iligan City, Philippines

#144 Nov 20, 2013
nice thread. thanks for sharing that information. it was very informative.
[url=http://www.legacylegal.co m/credit-education/credit-topi cs/credit-repair-attorney.asp] Credit Repair Attorney[/url]
Ms Batman

Azle, TX

#145 Jan 17, 2014
Just my experience from a few years ago. I went to H&R Block to get my taxes done, well it came back rejected. Long story short, we found out that another office took my ssn and filed taxes. H&R Block gave me all the wrong information to fix this and had to call the IRS to see what needed to be done. It took me two years to fix the mistake that H&R Block did. I refuse to ever use them again and I am not afraid to tell people my story.
Ololkolololololo lkokokok

Las Vegas, NV

#148 Jan 30, 2014
I know someone who went and they didn't help them because they didn't speak Spanish!
Jess

North Hollywood, CA

#149 Jan 31, 2014
I am so glad I read these reviews first. Crisis averted and time saved :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Son of Greeneville officer charged with father'... (Mar '10) 38 min Answer 3
News Greene County couple dead in murder suicide (Jun '08) 40 min Answer 669
News Sen. Elizabeth Warren blasts Wells Fargo manage... 22 hr BLDG SEVEN 16
News Sen. Elizabeth Warren calls for Wells Fargo CEO... 22 hr lavon affair 30
News Wells Fargo CEO resigns from Federal Reserve ad... Sun dr deemintad 4
News PNM Resources (PNM) - Research Analysts' Recent... Sep 23 Sylvia 3
News Peppered with questions, Wells Fargo CEO seemed... Sep 23 spocko 48
More from around the web