H&R Block reviews: your taxes are wor...

H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look

There are 160 comments on the Daily Dispatch story from Feb 25, 2012, titled H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look. In it, Daily Dispatch reports that:

Through April 30, participating H&R Block tax offices will offer taxpayers free Second Look reviews of their 2008-2010 income tax returns not prepared by H&R Block .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Dispatch.

Jami from Indiana Pa

Export, PA

#74 Mar 1, 2013
I will never go back to HR Block. They SUCK, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. Also they charge way to much, and screw everything up!!!!
Puneet Gupta

Sunnyvale, CA

#75 Mar 2, 2013
H & R Block is cheating customers. Be careful while availing service.

Today i went for my tax filing and met Tax Consultant Michele Ramsdell, what a rude lady ,she does not know how to talk to a customer.One day prior she talked to me over phone and told an estimated fee of around $120 for 2 states and federal tax filing, where one state is Texas, no work with State Tax. My tax was straight forward, just standard deduction, no share , nothing, and she charged me $246. I asked why, without explaining anything she became angry and told i did my work, and you have to file by paying $246. What a horrible experience for simple tax filing. She was not ready to answer anything. I ended up paying $246, because i did not wanted to fight !! Be aware !!!
charko

Calverton, NY

#76 Mar 3, 2013
Puneet Gupta wrote:
H & R Block is cheating customers. Be careful while availing service.
Today i went for my tax filing and met Tax Consultant Michele Ramsdell, what a rude lady ,she does not know how to talk to a customer.One day prior she talked to me over phone and told an estimated fee of around $120 for 2 states and federal tax filing, where one state is Texas, no work with State Tax. My tax was straight forward, just standard deduction, no share , nothing, and she charged me $246. I asked why, without explaining anything she became angry and told i did my work, and you have to file by paying $246. What a horrible experience for simple tax filing. She was not ready to answer anything. I ended up paying $246, because i did not wanted to fight !! Be aware !!!
I dont undertand why if you have access to a computer, to post your rant did you not go to walmart or wherever buy the program for about 50 bucks and do it yourself, also if you went into a store front, why you did not ask the price up front before you gave your info.
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#77 Mar 3, 2013
rippedoff wrote:
I just had my taxes done at walmart thinking it would be cheaper since they are not in a building site and there is no business upkeep, boy were we wrong. We paid more and had less deductions than last year and
we had to pay in way more. Will never go back there again. The person who did our taxes did not even give us an envelope to send in our taxes after I even asked him for it. What kind of rip off is this. I will never go back to H&R Block.
That's what u get for being cheap about ur taxes!

Since: Nov 12

Philippines

#78 Mar 4, 2013
nice thread. thanks for sharing that information. it was very informative.
[url=http://www.legacylegal.co m/credit-education/credit-topi cs/best-credit-repair.asp]Best Credit Repair[/url]
Eric

Clinton Township, MI

#79 Mar 4, 2013
$408.25 f##k h&r block use anyone or anything else
ET from Catskill NY

Hudson, NY

#80 Mar 6, 2013
frustrated in Texas wrote:
I've been a Turbo Tax user for many years, however, this year for my corporate tax return I decided to use H&R Block Business. What a mistake, the time an effort that it took was certainly not worth the effort and the $40.00 worth of difference between the costs of H&R Block Business versus Turbo Tax. Turbo Tax is more user friendly and easier to use and H&R Block's technical support leaves a lot to be desired. My advice, use Turbo Tax, it's certainly worth paying the little bit more it cost when you consider what your time is worth.
I made an appointment took off half a day of work......the girl didn't show up, just called the receptionist on a cell phone and the receptionist handed me a cell phone to discuss my tax options in front of everyone in the waiting area.....UNprofessional to say the least......do me a favor H&R Block, DONT do me any favors.....ET
ET from Catskill NY

Hudson, NY

#81 Mar 6, 2013
I took half a day off from work to keep an appointment about the 2nd look (which was done I just wanted to meet and discuss my options)......the girl never showed, just called the receptionist on a cell phone and the receptionist handed me the phone to discuss my tax concerns in the waiting area in front of total strangers???? totally UNprofessional!!!!Never again H&R Block.......never again......ET
Lazybones

Brandon, FL

#82 Mar 6, 2013
I went to H and R block to do mine and my husbands taxes. The lady went on and on about her dog. There was a lot of items that could be taken off.Which she told me could not take off. I told her last year the CPA took a lot of the items off. I did turbo tax just to check. Said we owed $320.00.H and R block said we owed $814.00. Next day my husband picked up all paperwork.He informed the lady he felt like she didn't do the deductions we were entitled too. Now were out$91.00. Don't go to H and R Block. Terrible and unacceptable!!!!!!!!!
Mel

Raleigh, NC

#83 Mar 7, 2013
Poor Support, no one knows what they are doing and they won't even refund me my money... then I found out my refund was better with Turbo Tax. Don't use the online software, it will screw your calculations up and when you need help no one calls you back... and they told me it would take 6-8 weeks to file a calculations claim. ummm hello taxes are due in 4.5 weeks by law so how the heck does that help me? Never again will I use H&R Block...ever ever ever
Frustrated

Philadelphia, PA

#84 Mar 8, 2013
I went to h&r block this year and i am upset. I filed jan 31 and have not recieved my refund. It's overpriced and I am over it.
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#85 Mar 8, 2013
Frustrated wrote:
I went to h&r block this year and i am upset. I filed jan 31 and have not recieved my refund. It's overpriced and I am over it.
Do have a 1098-T or residential energy credit form??
NO K-1 s

Austin, TX

#86 Mar 8, 2013
I usually go to H & R Block when I have to do taxes that are a bit more complicated than usual. So I made an appointment with a premium agent to help file taxes for an estate. He told me that he needed information for the beneficiaries so he can make K-1's. Well there are 24 at $40 per K-1. Do the math people!!! I was a bit confused about what needed to be done. I told him that the amount will be zero and can we not do them. He mumbled something about asking management but kept insisting that I send the beneficiary information. Thank goodness I called IRS to ask about the K-1's. I was told that if the estate is going to pay the taxes on earned income then you do not have to create K-1's. You only have to create them if you are going to split tax payment between the estate and beneficiaries or if only the beneficiaries will pay them. So why didn't the agent tell me this??? I'm really hacked off about this. I'm going to have the estate taxes done somewhere else next year!
M McCormick

Santa Barbara, CA

#87 Mar 9, 2013
I've been going to H&R Block at 3890 La Cumbre Plaza Ln (Santa Barbara, CA 93105) since 2009 and couldn't be more satisfied. Roberta Kramer is a first-rate professional and a pleasure to work with. Over the years I've gone to different tax preparers and always come back to H&R Block. They are the best.
MAD AS HEII

Saint Charles, MO

#88 Mar 9, 2013
FREAKING FURIOUS!!!

My husband and I went to h&r block for the first time in 6 years. They past 6 I have been doing our taxes myself on turbo tax. We decided to go this year because we had 1099, and other w2's we do not usually receive, plus We were both students..Anyway, we gave them all of our information, and since we do not have children, we were told we would get a refund of 477.00 ... Which we thought was great that we did not have to pay in... WRONG.... I did a friend of mine's taxes who was also a student and she received over 1000.00 for a school credit... So I went over ours. H&R Block made a HUGE error that I, not a tax professional, found. They screwed us out of 1,300.00 !!!! Then treated me like I was an idiot when we called to complain. They said they would reimburse me the fee if they saw there was an error, and not an error on turbo tax. WHY WOULD I TRUST THEM WHEN THEY SCREWED UP?? IT WAS A MAN THAT HAD OVER 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE, and the girl was about my age that wanted to "check" them again for us.. I paid them to do our taxes, and I ended up having to amend them, so now we have to wait God only knows how long to get them back... And still had to pay H&R Block, and have.never felt more embarrassed, or insulted by someone I paid for a service... Never again.. I feel like I have been completely scammed!

DAMN YOU H&R BLOCK
#the.tax.un-profeasionals
Nappytn

West Jordan, UT

#89 Mar 9, 2013
You can not expect that much from a group of maybe high school grads given a weekend of school that work a few weeks a year. You can most likly go to a accountant or attorney,for the same money. If they dont know they will look it up,not make it up..I would never go to H AND R Block
George

Toronto, Canada

#90 Mar 10, 2013
I wanted to go to H and R block tomorrow to do my revenue, but after reading all the reviews, I'd rather go to an accountant. Thanks for the reviews.
charko

Calverton, NY

#91 Mar 10, 2013
Nappytn wrote:
You can not expect that much from a group of maybe high school grads given a weekend of school that work a few weeks a year. You can most likly go to a accountant or attorney,for the same money. If they dont know they will look it up,not make it up..I would never go to H AND R Block
I would not trust any info to a question I ask wether its H&R or Trubo Tax, or what ever, If I want an answer tomy question I call the IRS. The opion of the IRS is the only one that counts. Get the agents name,date, and time. Write down the question in case a dispute comes up.
Never again H R Block

Dayton, OH

#92 Mar 13, 2013
I used them last year for the first time and the tax preparer looked lost doing it online even though according to her profile she had over 20 years experience. They charged me over $300 and then on top of it according to commercials they would review my previous years of taxes for free, but she advised me there would be a charge...so I said no way on that. But now in 2013 I have found out that they screwed me out of money for my State Of Ohio tax from last year. I will NEVER use them again and have been telling everyone I know to stay away. Biggest rip off I have had to ever deal with....
Mr Screwed over

United States

#93 Mar 14, 2013
I have been waiting for about 10 weeks now for my money. State return came like normal but Federal is taking forever and more. i had big ideas for this money and I get screwed...again. H&R block said it would take up to 21 days for them to send it out. Thats fine. Then I wait about 4 weeks, I call them..."oh yeah...BTW we forgot to tell you that it is going to be another 8 weeks for them to process this. 8 weeks?! WTF?! I payed $250 for this? I could of had ANYONE else do it for a fraction of the cost and a small portion of the waiting time. Now I also find out H&R block "FORGOT" to put something into the computer, 4 lines at least of information. I went to the branch on Douglas Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa North side of the road and dealt with the lackluster manager who is a larger woman. I felt confident at first cause she told me about her years of experience and what she did before working for this POS company. 21 days was reasonable. I was getting about $2000 back between state and federal and had to pay $200 to her so that was not too bad. Little did I know that 10 weeks and 4 migraines later I am still waiting and running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get answers and H&R block to man up, admit they messed up (again) and I also want my money back. People, buy Turbo tax or go to Jackson Hewitt but not here...EVER! Please do not let yourself get screwed up in the ass. Though I do not like government or government programs, I will say that the IRS is friendly and helpful, just long waits but what can they do about that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawsuit Alleges Illegal Debt Collection Practic... (May '07) Nov 17 Enforce FARA 321
News Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Research Coverage Star... Nov 15 Missy 1
citizen trust loan offer Nov 15 citizen trust 1
News Northern Trust Corp Sells 243,073 Shares of Low... Nov 11 bob and weave 1
News McNeal found guilty of second degree felony rob... (Apr '10) Nov 10 The Wife 26
News The geopolitical implications of renewable energy Nov 8 Solarman 1
News Bill Ackman Blasts Boardroom Election Rules Ahe... Nov 6 gfdhgmjh 1
More from around the web