H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look

There are 20 comments on the Feb 25, 2012, Daily Dispatch story titled H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look. In it, Daily Dispatch reports that:

Through April 30, participating H&R Block tax offices will offer taxpayers free Second Look reviews of their 2008-2010 income tax returns not prepared by H&R Block .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Dispatch.

accountant

North Manchester, IN

#52 Feb 12, 2013
a unsatisfied customer wrote:
i went to h&r block in early march 2012 and they turned around and told me that i couldnt claim my daughter on eitc this year because she was tooo old shes only 14 but i could claim my son thats ten. i am a single mom so i need all the help i can get since i dont get help from the dad of my kids. and i took my forms to someone else and they told me that it was a bunch bull**** that they told me. so i had to pay someone else to fix H&R blocks messup. wow never going there again.
Because you didn't trust H&R Block, you could be getting an IRS bill for the amount they paid you for a child that is too old to claim on EIC. You CAN NOT claim a child once they are 14. FACT and LAW!! And the fact that you think you are owed this money because of a dead beat dad is amazing. Where do you think this EIC money comes from? the money fairy?
late returns

Louisville, KY

#53 Feb 12, 2013
So I used Hr Block for my taxes again this year, figuring they had all my same info and it would be simpler. I showed up mid JAN at 11 am, 2nd in line and 4 people working, thinking I'd be out in an hour. I was wrong, there was a lunch going on, and 3 of the workers werent working just talking about going to get food. So I requested an appointment the following day same time after sitting for over an hour. Thinking this would be better, I again had to wait 30 mins for my prepper to finish as 3 others after me got to go, no appts. Thankfully, only 20 mins to prepare, and i was out the door. They said it would be 3 weeks for my return, since it was so early I'd be first to get back. I waited 3 weeks, and an additional week before looking on their website. My refund wasnt found, nor was it found on IRS website. So after returning back to HR block, and inquiring, they were initially stumped. They asked me to be patient and wait for them to figure out, but I had to leave for work. I got a call a few hours later explaining that I hadnt paid for state taxes being done and that was the hold up. So the questions remains, why wasn't I informed that I hadn't paid when it was supposed to be automatically paid from my acct prior to getting my return? how can they do my taxes and NOT worry about getting paid for it? Why did i have to sit in the lobby for 2 and a half hours for 20 mins of some guy doing data entry on a pc? This will be the VERY last time i ever visit HR Block, unless by some chance they pay me double my return for them to prepare my taxes again. I might not even then.
ONLINE HRBLOCK SUCKS

Boyertown, PA

#54 Feb 16, 2013
I spent 2 hours waiting to get help for my online tax form: The agent admits, if you read the transcript to helping multiple people at the same time. She is so distratced she is asking the same questions over again... It was a horrible experience. There are multiple errors in the programming in the federal and state level that I have found.
Chat Transcript
You have been connected to Dalia G.
Dalia G: Hello S, welcome to H&R Block At Home Live Chat Support! How can I assist you today?
S S: Hi I am trying to finish my PA state tax return. There is a section where the program asks if there are education requirements that your employer/state requires in order to maintain employment: Regardless of whether I fill it out or not, this message comes when I run the check for errors section at the end of the interview: the Issue 1 of 1:You must answer the questions regarding required attendance, entry level requirements, and new professions for the educational expense deduction.(1st the window does not open in the proper sequence of questioning. Strangely, the questions pop up when you go back to the page once you completed tha section.)
Dalia G: I would be happy to research this for you.
S S: thanks
Dalia G: What section is that where you get that message?
Dalia G: still there?
S S: employee education expenses
Dalia G: I'm going thru the return looking for errors
S S: on my end, it does not seem to accept the yes option on " did the employer require you to pay for any education expenses in 2012"
Dalia G: let me look at that
Dalia G: what section is that?
S S: emploee expenses nd deductions
Dalia G: all right
S S: job expenses/ business and moving expenses
Dalia G: this is under the state, right?
S S: yes.
Dalia G: Ok
Dalia G: there's a second question there you didn't answer is that the one you say It won't take a yes answer?
S S: no! tht wuld be an easy solution! it i not taking the yes reply. we are going in circles here.
S S: my first text stated this
Dalia G: what's your answer to this question
Dalia G: Did you need this education to meet the entry-level requirements of your job?
S S: could you connect me to a manager
Dalia G: I'm trying to help you here Sir, while looking at other people's returns
Dalia G: Could you be a little patient?
Dalia G: What education expenses did you have?
Dalia G: Could you go to that section called, Tell us about the Education Expenses and fill it out?
S S: yes. it will not take me there from the page we are discussing.
Dalia G: let me tell you how to get there
S S: hello?
Dalia G: I'm still here Sir
Dalia G: there seems to be an error in your return
Dalia G: that page come right after you check that box saying that you needed the education to meet the requirements of the job
S S: it is suppose to. not for me. it skips it
S S: Once I leave that window,when I hit the back button, it shows up.
S S: Are you able to see my window at this time
Dalia G: that form has to be filled out
S S: I do, but at the completion of the state return, it sttes that it was not.
S S: Are you able to see my page as I fill in and complete the page?
Dalia G: No, I'm not seeing that, I see it blank
S S: 1. on my window: there is a red exclamation point next to the " did yourwork require you to pay.... the second question is blank.

Dalia G: I apologize but at this time I do not have additional information available to me to further troubleshoot this matter.
I would like to escalate this case to our next level of support so that we can get this resolved for you.
Typically, you should receive a response back within 3 business days by phone or e-mail with further instructions. Would that be okay?
S S: I want to talk o someone now! I have been on here for 1 hours trying t explain that this is a program issue.
Dalia G: I am required to try to resolve issues before escalating
S S: connect me to a advanced tecnical person please
charko

Bronx, NY

#55 Feb 16, 2013
Well the NY STate program finaly came on line on the 15th and I was able to efile. What makes me confused is since all the people comenting on line have access to a computer, why don't you buy the program and do it your self and efile. You just have to answer the same questions they ask you at the office. Been using them for over 10 year, never had a problem with them until this year, but I think it was a software issue.
I would love to know if the home editions of any brand contain the same software as the stores.
charko

Bronx, NY

#56 Feb 16, 2013
I called up the irs, and ask them. Get the agents name and id# date and time of your converstaion. Also when I efile. I get two confirmations one that it was sent and,and the second saying that the irs and state have accepted my returns.
rosesmith

Johnson City, TN

#57 Feb 16, 2013
I go to monks tax, they ask questions you don't even think about, I was able to itemize with my mortgage interest. didn't know i could count some stuff, no one i ever went to before ever ask anything, U lay ur stuff down and that's it. Monks Tax is for me and my family.
Angie

Sebring, FL

#58 Feb 18, 2013
I will NEVER use your service again. My refund was approved by the IRS last week. But H&R Block haven't released my funds. Their system is not up to date & still shows my refund status as being processed. While it has been approved. Once the IRS approves the refund, it should be available funds. NEVER use you turtles again!
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#59 Feb 20, 2013
H&R Block is a very nice user friendly program online and on software I have been using the product for years, and let me say using h&r block is like using high class services. Everything is done and helped right on the point and fast. The people over the phone are amazing and great help for any quick question you might have. GREAT WORK!!! H&R Block is indeed great!:D
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#60 Feb 20, 2013
Angie wrote:
I will NEVER use your service again. My refund was approved by the IRS last week. But H&R Block haven't released my funds. Their system is not up to date & still shows my refund status as being processed. While it has been approved. Once the IRS approves the refund, it should be available funds. NEVER use you turtles again!
Ok honestly it's like you have never done taxes before. Your refund isn't magically going too appear in a snap of fingers you obviously have to wait even if it's a month. The product or service has nothing to do with the timing if any case it has to deal with you and what you claim. Educate yourself seriously!
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#61 Feb 20, 2013
Horrible wrote:
I filed my taxes online for "free".. it ended up costing me over $60! Then they held my check in their bank weeks after they said it would be deposited my my account. I'm still waiting for it. I did my cousins taxes on the same day using TaxAct.. she only spent $20 and got her check a week later. I feel like H&R Block ripped me off! Cost more for slower crappy service.. I will NOT be using them again.
It makes no sense that u say u waited"weeks" when u posted this feb.11 that's no even 2 weeks from the 30th of January when IRS actually started reviewing returns. Pathetic story!
Marie

United States

#62 Feb 22, 2013
Ok so I've been through a few tax services turbo tax, H&R and have settled on my current CPA. Both turbo tax and H&R have issues the cost for one on both but I found that if choosing between the two I'd have to go with turbo tax simply because H&R was rude to me. I was a newbie at taxes when I went to H&R and requested a veteran just to be safe and was told that even though I worked 2 full time jobs that year I didn't work enough to get a return and ended up not only paying H&R $170 but I paid into federal and state. I've never been married and have no assets so how did that happen? The point I'm trying to make here is that although I have chosen a CPA who only charges $50 to do my return there have been issues there as well like the wrong account number for my direct deposit. I now have to wait another 2 weeks for a paper check to arrive. All I can say is that you can never be too cautious about who does your taxes. If you don't want to put forth the effort it takes to make sure they are done right then yes your probably going to get screwed. As our good friend Timothy has said big companies like H&R don't give a crap about anyone but themselves and will continue to belittle the tax payers that work their asses off every year and pay their wages. Timothy you are a disgrace to the working class acting as though we are all beneath you and your company! Just for that I will NEVER set foot in an H&R again!
sandi

West Bend, WI

#63 Feb 23, 2013
Very dissatisfied. I'm a small business owner and had been previously using an online tax program. I figured I would try a tax professional due to my unique 2012 situation. I have never been treated so rudely in all my years. The gentleman expected me to know things that he was trained in- not I. He produced commentary throughout the process such as: you really don't know anything about this! And- boy are you in a mess. I was very offended and am not coming back. Very hurt and dissapointed in this experience.
charko

Bronx, NY

#64 Feb 23, 2013
Angie wrote:
The only people who can release the funds is the irs.
Go to the irs website and find out when u shld get it H&R has nothing to do with that.
Mtleconte

Trussville, AL

#67 Feb 27, 2013
Today was my first time to take my W2 to H&R Block. After spending 2 hours, my consultant finally told me that I owed $700 to the state of MS! I've never lived there or have worked there. My company's headquarters is out of MS but I am a Florida resident. So, I went home and filed my own taxes on turbotax. Took me 45 min and with no MS back taxes. Turbotax is free for federal and $27.99 if you have to file state taxes. Will not be going to H&R Block again.
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#68 Feb 27, 2013
charko wrote:
<quoted text> The only people who can release the funds is the irs.
Go to the irs website and find out when u shld get it H&R has nothing to do with that.
^^^AGREE H&R Block has nothing to do with holding funds it's the IRS!
Happy satisfied customer

Brownsville, TX

#69 Feb 27, 2013
Mtleconte wrote:
Today was my first time to take my W2 to H&R Block. After spending 2 hours, my consultant finally told me that I owed $700 to the state of MS! I've never lived there or have worked there. My company's headquarters is out of MS but I am a Florida resident. So, I went home and filed my own taxes on turbotax. Took me 45 min and with no MS back taxes. Turbotax is free for federal and $27.99 if you have to file state taxes. Will not be going to H&R Block again.
REALLY IT IS?! Wow because if you go to H&R Block online it's free for federal as well and 27.95 for state:O WOW right!!! You'll just find an excuse not everyone is going to accurate but always try it on ur own first if a consultant tells u otherwise, your doing something wrong! Click***
Mtleconte

Trussville, AL

#70 Feb 28, 2013
Happy satisfied customer wrote:
<quoted text>
REALLY IT IS?! Wow because if you go to H&R Block online it's free for federal as well and 27.95 for state:O WOW right!!! You'll just find an excuse not everyone is going to accurate but always try it on ur own first if a consultant tells u otherwise, your doing something wrong! Click***
Or, the consultants are people without any accounting background and do not have their CPA. So more than likely you better off filing yourself. I said nothing about H&R online. What?? Wow!!
charko

Bronx, NY

#71 Feb 28, 2013
Angie wrote:
Yes, your refund was approved. Did you miss the next line that says when it will be deposited into your account ? Did you request a paper check?. Approved just means it will either be sent to the bank or mailed and the reason IRS wants efill is because if you wanted paper check it takes 21 days to be processed. Being processed is not the same as being approved.
charko

Bronx, NY

#72 Feb 28, 2013
Does anyone know if the software used on line is the same as the ones used in the store fronts?
I know the boxes tell you which forms are listed on the program so I just pick the one that I need. Also I have been a user of HR Block,and before tax cut when I called customer service on line they said to go to an office. Common sense told me that if it wasnt available on line the office wouldnt have it.
if I want a tax question answered I call the IRS, and find out someway to make a record of the conversation. Their oppition is the only one that counts.
rippedoff

Saint Paul, MN

#73 Mar 1, 2013
I just had my taxes done at walmart thinking it would be cheaper since they are not in a building site and there is no business upkeep, boy were we wrong. We paid more and had less deductions than last year and
we had to pay in way more. Will never go back there again. The person who did our taxes did not even give us an envelope to send in our taxes after I even asked him for it. What kind of rip off is this. I will never go back to H&R Block.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wal-Mart CEO Doug McMillon Gets $19.4M Pay Package Thu Tonya 2
News Clinton cash - the GE-Algeria connection Apr 23 Wally 1
News Canada Divests Final 4.6% Stake in General Motors Apr 22 John Jeffery 4
News Huge Trouble at Foreign Toyota (May '09) Apr 15 Nasty Canadian 315
News Goldman called clients 'muppets,' ex-executive ... (Mar '12) Apr 10 swedenforever 94
News General Electric purchases parcel (Jan '09) Apr 9 Praxis33 41
News CD rates likely to fall soon - (Sep '07) Apr 8 Angela K 4
More from around the web