Dow hits 10,000 for first time in a year

Oct 14, 2009 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.reuters.com

The Dow Jones industrial average crossed the psychologically important 10,000 number for the first time since one year ago as investors reacted to strong reports from JPMorgan Chase & Co and Intel Corp.

Comments
21 - 40 of 40 Comments Last updated Jul 15, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dos

United States

#22 Oct 14, 2009
sofa_king_cool wrote:
What's funny, While the market dropped between January 21 and March to it's low, Sean Hannity kept calling it the Obama drop, the Obama recession. Funny he's so silent during it's ascendancy. Back over 10,000 for the first time since last year. Up 50% over the last 6 months. Come on Sean and his fans? If Obama gets the blame for the drop you have to give him credit for the rebound. You can't have it both ways.
Who cares if it's up....one still has losses that will not be made up.....ways to go...let it happens.
dos

United States

#23 Oct 14, 2009
WeTheSheeple wrote:
And when Americans look at their 401k statements next year, they'll be pulling the lever marked "Democrat" once again.
Bye bye GOPosaurs.......
oh no! we've been stung and that leaves a mark...ain't gonna happen and with Obama's taxing ....no way!
geez edith

Palm Bay, FL

#24 Oct 14, 2009
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>No wonder FOX news has so many viewers. The masses really are asses. Beyond ignorant.
"All time highs under BUSH????" RECORD???? Try artificially inflated. Look it up in your easy to read dictionary.
Jobs? We lost more under bush to other countries than any other President.
The worst economy since the great depression? Under Bush
The lowest value of the dollar in US history? Under Bush
The sharpest decline of the stock market 14k to 8k? under BUsh
The highest number of foreclosures in American history? Under Bush.
The costliest war in our history? Under Bush
The only terrorist attack on the contiguous 48 states in US history? Bush
The only president selected, not elected, by the SC in US history.
The middle class was virtually destroyed under Bush you moron. Do you ever READ anything or do you just get this crap from the radio and FAUX news?
His new home owner numbers were manipulated by his banking buddies and now, all those people lost their homes because the banks did not do backround checks. If you were intelligent, you would be angry but you're just stupid and happy believing the worst President in American history was some kind of genius.
quote from IBD seminar
the president does not determine the stock market , the fed does
you conveniently ignored the 2006 takoever by the dems
in congress
look at the major indexes on the street and tell me if they
dont start dropping in 2006

how do you call a bear market dead bounce a recovery?
commonsins

Baltimore, MD

#25 Oct 14, 2009
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Well my portfolio is up over 100% since last year, so I guess I'M benefiting, thanks to Obama & the Dems.
well youre the 1 of the 10% who benifit the pyramid scheme but only if you get to sell before the next corrections. if no corrections however its going to be the coming generations who are going to be burdened by all the inflating of the asstes. guess theyll just have to sell more rare sports cards at inflated prices to raise cash for their needs. long story yet but if morons dont understand the implications of whats been said, theyll never understand anything. theres is still tomorrow virginia.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#27 Oct 14, 2009
The Obama recovery is underway!

We have a long way to go, but the turnaround has begun.
phineas

Elkridge, MD

#29 Oct 14, 2009
Lance Winslow wrote:
If Obama oversees economic recovery, withdrawl from Iraq, and healcare reform, the GOP is dogmeat.
I'm looking forward to watching the GOP get placed where they should be, gathering dust up on the shelf with other political curiosities like the Whigs, the Federalists, the Greens, the American Nazis, etc, etc (its a really long list).

So, who's going to step up and create the next party once the GOP explodes from all that pent up hubris? Will the Dems split, or will independents form some sort of alternative party?

Since: Jun 07

Allentown Pa

#30 Oct 14, 2009
dos wrote:
<quoted text>
oh no! we've been stung and that leaves a mark...ain't gonna happen and with Obama's taxing ....no way!
Those drops occurred due to a GOP president and his economic policies. Anyone that expected Obama to turn it around overnight is a moron. So for 2 months things continued to drop, until..... the stimulus money started going out. Since then the market has seen a 50% increase. Largest 6 month increase in the history of the market.

Since: Jun 07

Allentown Pa

#31 Oct 14, 2009
Popeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple, ANY time someone disagrees with the messiah obammy the commie, the leftist loons just shout racism in an effort to shut down any discussion. So, I decided I would try the same thing with anyone who AGREES with that lousy bastard. So, how does it feel to have the same BS used on you?
The facts remain. When the drop continued from Bush into Obama's presidency. For 2 months the drop was called Obama's economy and Obama's failure by the likes of Sean Hannity. If he wanted to place blame on the drop on Obama, he and you need to place credit to Obama as well when it recovers under him. No racism there. Just facts.
buffoon obama

United States

#32 Oct 14, 2009
sofa_king_cool wrote:
What's funny, While the market dropped between January 21 and March to it's low, Sean Hannity kept calling it the Obama drop, the Obama recession. Funny he's so silent during it's ascendancy. Back over 10,000 for the first time since last year. Up 50% over the last 6 months. Come on Sean and his fans? If Obama gets the blame for the drop you have to give him credit for the rebound. You can't have it both ways.
The economists have said all along that the recovery will be business led not government led. The market dropped quite a lot on the news that obama had been elected. Once investors realized that obama has kept most of President Bush's policies in place they felt comfortable getting back into the market. Corporations have shown they can make profits by investing overseas, by laying off more workers, and buying out failed businesses that used to be competitors. Unemployment remains high and won't get any better for years. obama sucks but business has outsmarted him.

Since: Jun 07

Allentown Pa

#33 Oct 14, 2009
buffoon obama wrote:
<quoted text>The economists have said all along that the recovery will be business led not government led. The market dropped quite a lot on the news that obama had been elected. Once investors realized that obama has kept most of President Bush's policies in place they felt comfortable getting back into the market. Corporations have shown they can make profits by investing overseas, by laying off more workers, and buying out failed businesses that used to be competitors. Unemployment remains high and won't get any better for years. obama sucks but business has outsmarted him.
Actually the largest drop occurred when Lehman Brothers collapsed. 2 months BEFORE Obama's election. Many economists pushed for the stimulus package, many of which thought the one produced was far too small.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#35 Oct 14, 2009
TASKMASTER wrote:
<quoted text>
0ver 10% unemployed nationally,18% unemployed in Michigan,13% in Florida,along with every state that has high unemployment ,,,are ready to piss all over you Billy boy!!What an asinine thing to say..best you get water wings..they will float yer loony boat..only an ass would cheer for a Pyrrhic victory!
If you remember ,Bush had this kind of Pyrrhic Victory,look where it got him.It will happen to these jerks also!
When Obama took office unemployment was 6 something %...look atcgho now!!
So the rich get richer..on our tax moneys..the Harvard Elitists laugh all the way to the bank!..this while Jobs are gone,Homes are gone,Education is gone,toys are gone,the very American dream GONE!..And simpletons ,high on Obama Prune juice claim a victory???
Give it up Billy..it won't work1....really surprised at your callous remarks...grasping for straws while the nation is suffering...You call your self a moderator???...what a joke..your just one more fanitical LOON!!...Try Scuba diving!!!LOL!!or read that old book "The Yellow River,by IPEEDAILY!." Great depression book!..YER A CRAZY LOON BILLY BOY...HOPELESS!!
thanx for the dumb remarks so we can shove down your inebriated throat!!..HA! HA! HA!..Water wings In A Sea of PISS..and Conservatives in a boat making waves!!
The unemployment and other troubles were due to the terrible incompetence and dishonesty of the lion of the lying neo-conservatives, GW Bush.

These conditions are being slowly turned about by the Obama adminisrtation.

Bush never had a victory except what he stole, or self-declared.
stooopix obsession

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#36 Oct 14, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
Note to all the negative, self-victimizing, un-American, whining, lying neo-conservatives:
Mr_Bill pisses on you.
thouSand K ?:-0
stooopix obsession

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#37 Oct 14, 2009
PooPoo Platter wrote:
The Obama recovery is underway!
We have a long way to go, but the turnaround has begun.
romeoville or binladentview?:-0
Buck

Livonia, MI

#38 Oct 15, 2009
buffoon obama wrote:
<quoted text>The economists have said all along that the recovery will be business led not government led. The market dropped quite a lot on the news that obama had been elected. Once investors realized that obama has kept most of President Bush's policies in place they felt comfortable getting back into the market. Corporations have shown they can make profits by investing overseas, by laying off more workers, and buying out failed businesses that used to be competitors. Unemployment remains high and won't get any better for years. obama sucks but business has outsmarted him.
Intel is performing well while investing heavily in the US, and the American worker.
Raj Chanani at Earth

Redondo Beach, CA

#42 Jul 11, 2013
I wanted to thank the people of Smith Barney for helping me to learn all about investing daytrading in the stock market. I did lose 10,000 dollars in the market back in 1994. They did write off the balance of 2,000 dollars in my favor due to margin calls.

I wanted to thank the people of Etrade for furthering my daytrading experience. I felt a lot of good bad emotions as the stock market roared towards a bull run, then a bear mauling.

I wanted to thank the people of Datek Ameritrade for the good bad times in the investment market. Once again, I felt a lot of good bad feelings as the financial markets had their wild swings.

I wanted to thank the people of Fidelity for the good bad times in the penny stock market. Once again, I felt my heart drop as I experienced major losses in the stock market.

I wanted to thank the brokerage industry for all the learning experience. I can't afford to wear all those suits anymore. The suit maker won't give me that many suits for any price. The cotton wool is very expensive to grown.

I wanted to thank Smith Barney and Merrill Lynch for interviewing me. The Smith Barney people told me to complete college. I liked the advice. The Merrill Lynch people did offer me the job. I did not take the job because I only had two suits at that time. For that job, I need ten suits. The suit maker won't give me that many suits for any price.

I am more of a shirt pants guy now. When I am doing yard work, I am more of shorts teeshirt dude. When I used to go to the beach, I would wear only shorts then swim in the ocean. Now yellow crap washes out to the shore due to the flush to the ocean.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#43 Jul 11, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
The unemployment and other troubles were due to the terrible incompetence and dishonesty of the lion of the lying neo-conservatives, GW Bush.
These conditions are being slowly turned about by the Obama adminisrtation.
Bush never had a victory except what he stole, or self-declared.
Bill,

Again you try to tout Obama job numbers which are a lie in a form.

The only increase in job creation is in hospitality and service based industries under a part time rate.

While middle class full time jobs over the exact same period declined by 200k+.

Get ready, the only job that will be left is a greeter at Walmart.

And this is the reality of the numbers. So you can go around and wave your DNC flag and praise Obaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm mmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (sheep) when in all actuality, it is a lie and sham that is even being facilitated by the media.

The numbers themselves do not lie. Only the reporting of the numbers by the talking heads lie.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#44 Jul 12, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill,
Again you try to tout Obama job numbers which are a lie in a form.
The only increase in job creation is in hospitality and service based industries under a part time rate.
While middle class full time jobs over the exact same period declined by 200k+.
Get ready, the only job that will be left is a greeter at Walmart.
And this is the reality of the numbers. So you can go around and wave your DNC flag and praise Obaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm mmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (sheep) when in all actuality, it is a lie and sham that is even being facilitated by the media.
The numbers themselves do not lie. Only the reporting of the numbers by the talking heads lie.
No, the reality of the USA is in the reports; and no, they are not manipulated.
That is a Beck level lie, you are better than that.

Yes, the recovery is too slow for jobs.
It is the job of Congress to retool the Federal tax law to penalize offshoring of jobs; and transfer of profit overseas to avoid taxes.

There is, in fact, only so much a president can do. Congress is killing the economy to make Obama look bad. Deny that.

If the tea-bag obsession with strangling government were not happening, employment would be nearly a percent higher. No?

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#45 Jul 13, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill,
Again you try to tout Obama job numbers which are a lie in a form.
The only increase in job creation is in hospitality and service based industries under a part time rate.
While middle class full time jobs over the exact same period declined by 200k+.
Get ready, the only job that will be left is a greeter at Walmart.
And this is the reality of the numbers. So you can go around and wave your DNC flag and praise Obaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm mmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (sheep) when in all actuality, it is a lie and sham that is even being facilitated by the media.
The numbers themselves do not lie. Only the reporting of the numbers by the talking heads lie.
I knew about 12 people who lost their jobs back in 08-09. They all found new jobs, one went back to school and is now working in the medical industry. One started their own business but they ALL are back at work.

Anyone who is on unemployment for 2+ years is not trying to find a job so please, save your criticism of the President for some FOXbots or retardicans who believe anything they hear.

We make our own luck in this world. When we fail, we either get up and try again or lay there and make excuses or blame everyone around us for our own failures. That's what separates the girls from the women, baby!

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#46 Jul 13, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the reality of the USA is in the reports; and no, they are not manipulated.
That is a Beck level lie, you are better than that.
Yes, the recovery is too slow for jobs.
It is the job of Congress to retool the Federal tax law to penalize offshoring of jobs; and transfer of profit overseas to avoid taxes.
There is, in fact, only so much a president can do. Congress is killing the economy to make Obama look bad. Deny that.
If the tea-bag obsession with strangling government were not happening, employment would be nearly a percent higher. No?
Very true. This Congress will go down in history as the most stubborn, selfish, racist,misogynist, obstructionist Congress America has ever seen and all because they want to make the black man in the White House look bad so they can say "See, whites really are superior."

All they have done is make themselves look petty and small while simultaneously managing to stagnate our economy all in the name of White Power. Talk about a bunch of KKKnuckle draggers.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#47 Jul 15, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the reality of the USA is in the reports; and no, they are not manipulated.
That is a Beck level lie, you are better than that.
Yes, the recovery is too slow for jobs.
It is the job of Congress to retool the Federal tax law to penalize offshoring of jobs; and transfer of profit overseas to avoid taxes.
There is, in fact, only so much a president can do. Congress is killing the economy to make Obama look bad. Deny that.
If the tea-bag obsession with strangling government were not happening, employment would be nearly a percent higher. No?
Fact:#1 employer in the United States: Walmart (Part Time).
Fact:#2 employer in the United States: Kelly Services (Temp service)

Manufacturing full time jobs during the same reporting period at this 190k+ job creation lost 200k jobs. The increase to the job numbers were of part time hospitality.

Those are the numbers. They do not lie. Only the reporting of the numbers from Government and media lie.

But you want to reference Congress. LOL. The insider traders from both parties controlling a Congress of the people. To have any faith in them or government in general is stupid move.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global Private and Public Cloud Market in Finan... 5 hr Philip Cohen 1
Part of Espirito Santo empire may try to block ... 5 hr Philip Cohen 1
Singapore investors to take action against Morg... (Oct '13) 6 hr INFO 27
Xerox CEO Ursula Burns is getting a raise (Apr '10) Fri lost in San Franc... 20
Retail Payments (and PayPal)—The Reality Thu hubertfields00 2
Thursday Sector Leaders: Financial, Technology ... Thu fayebryant00 2
Lawsuit Alleges Illegal Debt Collection Practic... (May '07) Thu LLCheever 309
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Financial Services People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••