Post office wants to end Saturday mail, but will it happen?

Feb 6, 2013 Full story: The Kansas City Star 24

Residents of Missouri and eight other states in a major seismic zone will commemorate the 201st anniversary of the powerful New Madrid earthquakes with an emergency preparedness drill.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Spring is here, ”

Since: Sep 06

next comes summer! Yippee!!

#1 Feb 7, 2013
I doesn't bother me if I don't get mail on Saturday. It's mostly junk mail.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#2 Feb 7, 2013
La Sunshine wrote:
I doesn't bother me if I don't get mail on Saturday. It's mostly junk mail.
Yeah, I think we can all wait till Monday to get our junk mail. Netflix DVDs might suffer though.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#3 Feb 7, 2013
Mail?
Samuel Gompers

Medford, NY

#4 Feb 7, 2013
What about businesses that rely Saturday mail?
Anywho, my mail lady is a real beast, I wouldn't want her touching my package.....but that's besides the point.
sickofit

Blooming Prairie, MN

#5 Feb 7, 2013
Maybe if the pentagon did not steal 5 billion a year out of post office they wouldnt have to do this.
DonkeyEstonkey

Hampton, VA

#7 Feb 7, 2013
They've gotta do what's needed to keep the USPS up and running. It delivers 40% of all the mail mailed in the entire world.
Personally don't see a problem, and other than some typical obstructionist rumblings from congress, as well as predictable negativity from the postal union, 70% of all Americans polled are supportive.
I wish they weren't in extremis, and didn't have to do this. But saving 2Billion/yr, especially when operating at a 12Billion dollar deficit, is the responsible thing to do.

Again, hope they make it through this fiscal quagmire; we need them!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 7, 2013
How did they get so far in the red for so long?

“Spring is here, ”

#9 Feb 7, 2013
Naughtyrobot wrote:
Stamps went up to 46 cents. Who knows why their in the hole. What about the new tax changes? The one that irks me the most is the child care credit. It was changed to age 17, before it was age 19. I lost $1,000 on my federal return because I can't claim my grandson anymore. Who ever passes the laws doesn't seem to have any idea how much these changes will hurt people.

“I know where you are,”

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#10 Feb 7, 2013
La Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>Stamps went up to 46 cents. Who knows why their in the hole. What about the new tax changes? The one that irks me the most is the child care credit. It was changed to age 17, before it was age 19. I lost $1,000 on my federal return because I can't claim my grandson anymore. Who ever passes the laws doesn't seem to have any idea how much these changes will hurt people.
Just remember, a return of $0 means you're doing it right - you don't owe them, they don't owe you. I don't like to loan the federal government any more money than I absolutely have to.

“Spring is here, ”

#11 Feb 7, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just remember, a return of $0 means you're doing it right - you don't owe them, they don't owe you. I don't like to loan the federal government any more money than I absolutely have to.
Thank you for the info and your reply!:)

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#12 Feb 7, 2013
Businesses are cutting back on EVERYTHING to control costs.. WHY would it bother us??..They supply us with a product we wish to purchase... whether we purchase it at the physical post office bldg. Or on-line shopping...WHICH is OPEN...24/7.
It is their choice to open or close on a Saturday...
Bad Move

United States

#13 Feb 7, 2013
It will encourage more people to use FEDEX, UPS, etc. for packages.
Indeed

United States

#15 Feb 7, 2013
Great White Snark wrote:
<quoted text>Their lousy service alone does more to promote UPS and FedEx
True, but I actually had pretty good luck when I used to ship stuff. I like the Priority Mail flat rate boxes. My carrier keeps delivering my mail to neighbors and their mail to me. Perhaps she needs a new set of bifocals?????
DonkeyEstonkey

Hampton, VA

#17 Feb 7, 2013
Naughtyrobot wrote:
Not a one line answer to that really good question:
Part of it is the loss of revenue from a monumental decrease in their staple; 1st class mail.
Between emails, tweets,g texting etc., the electronic billing and payments, via on line banking, the have gotten crushed.
Also, although they are not tax payer funded, congress controls their budgeting, how much they charge, etc., and congress has not allowed them to implement specific cost cutting, and revenues enhancing initiatives.
Double also, they have probably not done all the things they could have, though they have closed about a jillion offices, limited equipment upgrade and maintenance, and pretty much stopped all new hiring.

And, throughout the above they have been mandated to maintain the same delivery capacity, and high delivery quality.
Lots more, the above are really just the tips of the icebergs.

But, IMO the answer here is the way forward, not blaming some house speaker, senate majority etc. for sins of the past.
Fixing this is too big a deal to get mired down in partisan and ideological claptrap.

“Barbie Doll Queen”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#18 Feb 7, 2013
The Post Offices they will have an extended days off and plenty more time off to get some sleep

Location hidden

#19 Feb 7, 2013
Bet on it

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#20 Feb 7, 2013
Samuel Gompers wrote:
Anywho, my mail lady is a real beast, I wouldn't want her touching my package.....but that's besides the point.
Yes, very much so.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#21 Feb 7, 2013
Naughtyrobot wrote:
By having half their employees spend the day hiding in mailsacks.
Donkey Estonkey

Hampton, VA

#22 Feb 7, 2013
Samuel Gompers wrote:
Packages, catalogues, overnite and express mail will continue on a 6 day/wk schedule.
Only 1st class mail is affected.

Location hidden

#23 Feb 17, 2013
Too bad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Markets Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Credit Line against BG/CD/MTN/SBLC/SKR (Oct '07) 8 hr Amilo 385
Allot's 18% Tumble Can't Scare Off Bullish Call... Dec 22 reneir880 1
F-Squared paying $35M to settle SEC charges on ... Dec 22 reneir880 1
What Wall Street won in budget deal Dec 22 john4535 4
The Fed powers a monster rally on Wall Street Dec 18 theidiotsareunited 2
Abe's election victory forecast to spark riskie... Dec 17 SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 2
US stocks start lower Dec 16 Anthony V 104
More from around the web