Barclays: solar power threatens US utilities

Jun 13, 2014 Full story: The Ecologist

As renewables grow in scale, and fall in price, the threat to electric utilities becomes ever more clear, writes Tyler Hamilton.

Full Story
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Jun 13, 2014
"Banking titan Barclays is the latest."

"The London-based investment bank revealed this week that it had downgraded the high-grade corporate bonds of the entire US electric utility sector, citing "a confluence of declining cost trends in distributed solar PV power generation and residential-scale power storage.""

When banking entities start downgrading the worth of the Utilities, it's time for the seven figure salaried CEOs to stop making excuses and blaming higher electric costs on someone else. Find a new business model or become obsolete.

NRG Energy is the only large scale electric Utility that actually wants to get into the distributed solar business. NRG seems to want to install and lease solar PV systems for homes and businesses. They also want to set up a home system that can generate, store, and even have a small backup natural gas generator as a complete home system.
Alison Young

Gold, India

#3 Jun 18, 2014
Barclays warned that solar and storage combined is "likely to disrupt the status quo."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Financial Markets Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cramer's Mad Money - I Didn't Have Enough Confi... 4 hr ShiftyLeader-2014 3
Obama calls for tougher Internet regulation 8 hr mjjcpa 308
Loan Against S. K. R. (May '09) Thu anyone 178
Credit Line against BG/CD/MTN/SBLC/SKR (Oct '07) Nov 25 Denise 384
How the Dow Jones industrials did on... Nov 24 howardjhonson 3
Asia stocks dulled by weak economic reports Nov 21 Go Blue Forever 3
Has Silver Wheaton Underperformed Bullion Produ... Nov 18 Leachmark707 1

Financial Markets People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE