PNM union work could stop without new...

PNM union work could stop without new contract

There are 41 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Apr 30, 2009, titled PNM union work could stop without new contract. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Nearly 300 San Juan Generating Station jobs are in jeopardy if electrical workers' union leaders don't settle a labor contract dispute with PNM.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Duh

Albuquerque, NM

#21 May 1, 2009
farmington resident wrote:
<quoted text>Do you even have a job??
Yes I do, also worked for a union back east for 19 years, hated it, strike if they do not get their way more more more wha wha wha, then it cost more to produce so the company went bankrupt. Look up Elkhart IND. and see what the union did to that town.
Wow

Albuquerque, NM

#22 May 1, 2009
Get a grip people and think about what it is really about the companies take take and take the union is just asking for security they arent even seaking a raise and just to let you know pnm anounced earnings of about 91 millon this morning so there really hard hit
Your Mom

Germany

#23 May 1, 2009
I wrote a freakin long post with URL references that didn't even get posted. I don't know what happened but I am freakin pissed. Anyway, for anyone who cares you can research it yourself. The short version goes like this.

Look into Jeff's personal salary with benefits. Look into the companies growth since 2000 with a peak in 2007 followed by a very sharp drop in stock value. Look into a company called energyco later optim energy which is a joint invesment from a company called cascade investment(whose sole holder is Bill Gates.)

Use the union. Use your rights. Let them lock you out. Don't be afraid. PNM Big men are just putting more money in their own pockets and don't care about the pieces that make their machine work. IBEW, do what is necessary and don't give up
STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE
Your Mom

Germany

#24 May 1, 2009
I am not even allowed to write P!ssed. What the
H 3ll??? F Vck this Sh !t. G4y motherf vckers!!!!
first hand knowledge

Albuquerque, NM

#25 May 1, 2009
TEXAS wrote:
IBEW is always threating to "walk" if they don't get what they want. I say let them walk PNM and you will see qualified replacements coming out of the woodwork to earn a living. You can't tell me that the Union employees work there "tushies" off! they get paid an unbeliable amount of money to work eight hours a day and heaven forbid if they have to work a little OT then the pay escalates to an hourly fee that is RIDICULOUS. People are hurting because of layoffs and the Union wants more money??? give me a break..........Walk IBEW workers and then try to find another job that will pay you the wage your getting now, the breaks you get, the benefits you get, the training you get, and all the other perks that PNM gives you. I bet you will be out of work for a long, long time. Bottom line is they should be happy to have a job and if they don't like it then leave or walk because like I said there are hungry people willing to work for half of what these IBEW workers get not to mention what they want!!!
The Union has never threatened to strike in fact, had the company not terminated the contract there wouldn't even be the possibility of a company lock-out due to the clause in the contract that says there will be no strike or lock-out. You should check your facts before of go spewing nonsense.
REB

Collbran, CO

#26 May 1, 2009
Same could be said if Silthe Global Powers forward its initiative to jumpstart Desert Rock Power Plant in Burnham, NM. Union will be fighting with the Navajo Nation, the powers to be in New York, and all the middle men (power-brokers) in between. People must wake up to the fact that common people no longer holds the US together. It rest in the hands of the corporations that has the money. Please understand that and know the facts behind the scene. That is the reason why the Republicans are in trouble waters these days.
WOW- Albuquerque

Rio Rancho, NM

#27 May 2, 2009
all you scabs with uneducated comments take a hike
Career PNM Employee

Albuquerque, NM

#28 May 2, 2009
I just completed 30 years with PNM, I'm thankful for everything this company has provided and choose to continue working here, it's one of the better jobs around. However, despite record reliability and profits thruout most of these 30 years, each passing hierarcy of "management",(there' s a new batch every few years), during every contract negotiations,(also every few years), does their best to erode our security by chipping away at our retirement, and the security of the job classifications we've EARNED. We the career employees,( there are hundreds of us ) and our IBEW union,(International BROTHERHOOD of Electrical Workers), are fed up with Temporay Dayshift Employees, IE: Upper and middle management dictating and threatening our security and way of life. That's what our negotiations boil down to. WE are PNM, we are also the Union, we are not the Enemy as seems to often be the management "drift". OK Joe public the next time your turn on your lights or even the water from your faucet, realize that the power necessary for these privelages happens because we, the union hands have chosen to be out here 24/7,(12hour shifts or longer), to provide this for all of us. Remember also that we SPEND most of our wages locally. Threats to our job security is also a threat to our local economy. Unions came about initially to guard against entities that would exploit the common workers and pay as little as they can get away with while padding their own pockets. Thank Goodness for Unions and God bless America.
Your Mom

Germany

#29 May 2, 2009
Career PNM Employee wrote:
I just completed 30 years with PNM, I'm thankful for everything this company has provided and choose to continue working here, it's one of the better jobs around. However, despite record reliability and profits thruout most of these 30 years, each passing hierarcy of "management",(there' s a new batch every few years), during every contract negotiations,(also every few years), does their best to erode our security by chipping away at our retirement, and the security of the job classifications we've EARNED. We the career employees,( there are hundreds of us ) and our IBEW union,(International BROTHERHOOD of Electrical Workers), are fed up with Temporay Dayshift Employees, IE: Upper and middle management dictating and threatening our security and way of life. That's what our negotiations boil down to. WE are PNM, we are also the Union, we are not the Enemy as seems to often be the management "drift". OK Joe public the next time your turn on your lights or even the water from your faucet, realize that the power necessary for these privelages happens because we, the union hands have chosen to be out here 24/7,(12hour shifts or longer), to provide this for all of us. Remember also that we SPEND most of our wages locally. Threats to our job security is also a threat to our local economy. Unions came about initially to guard against entities that would exploit the common workers and pay as little as they can get away with while padding their own pockets. Thank Goodness for Unions and God bless America.
You said it. I thank you guys for the long hours and putting up with the coporate bull puckey. I know first hand that 12-18-24-36and even 48 hours is spent by workers of PNM during outages in order to get things up and running again. UNIONS RULE!!!
bleeding heart liberal

Rio Rancho, NM

#30 May 2, 2009
Proud democRAT wrote:
Unions?! Another democrat scam run amok. Maybe people should grow up and learn how to negotiate jobs on their own instead of throwing it away on their union "dues".
I never knew a non union worker to turn down the raises or increases in benefits that the due paying IBEW members negotiated for. Case in point the Farmington Utilities Electrical Dept.
hillbilly

Albuquerque, NM

#31 May 2, 2009
Supply and demand. Now is not the time to have a union snivel fest. There are replacements out there. I hate to bust up your prom queen elections, but there is a surplus of skilled hands globally. Good luck daughters.........
hillbilly

Albuquerque, NM

#32 May 2, 2009
bleeding heart liberal wrote:
<quoted text> I never knew a non union worker to turn down the raises or increases in benefits that the due paying IBEW members negotiated for. Case in point the Farmington Utilities Electrical Dept.
With respect and regards, you are comparing apples to apples. Union hands have the same false job security as gubment hands. Union/gubment pays on time served, the free market pays on performance.
I can sorta understand why some one would be union/gubment, but free market distills out the best. Competition is a good thing and the lack of, just leads to lameness.- Teachers aside, that is a sense of duty that can be only surpassed by Fransiscan Fathers.
bleeding heart liberal

Albuquerque, NM

#33 May 2, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>
With respect and regards, you are comparing apples to apples. Union hands have the same false job security as gubment hands. Union/gubment pays on time served, the free market pays on performance.
I can sorta understand why some one would be union/gubment, but free market distills out the best. Competition is a good thing and the lack of, just leads to lameness.- Teachers aside, that is a sense of duty that can be only surpassed by Fransiscan Fathers.
I have gathered from your posting that you are an educated person, not retired, making a living in the oil and gas industry, non union. Totally disenchanted with the gov. Correct me if I am wrong. Without giving out too much personal info. I have a large extended family, in all different situations. A retired union employee with a good pension. A Nam Vet unable to work due to mental problems. A young teacher that can't make it from paycheck to paycheck on the measly salary we pay teachers. A retired teacher now double dipping making good $. A State employee that has worked their way up, now making a living wage. 3 professionals with ins. and no retirement, lost a lot of their 401Ks recently, will likely have to work til they drop, one of them worries day to day whether his job will even be there. Other than the double dipping teacher, the retiree, and the state employee, I bet the others would gladly pay union dues for better wages, a retirement plan and what you refer to as false job security. I am not talking about being wealthy, just comfortable and not having to worry about next month's bills. Thanks for sorta understanding. I realize my opinions on this subject are based on personal experience. Surely you don't expect me to bite the hand that feeds me.
New Mexico

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Apr 5, 2012
Figures "Texas" (right to work state). Lets keep letting these companies bully us around and you will do nothing but work. When they tell you where they tell you and as soon as they tell you. You don't have a personal life. We own you. Thats how you Texans like it but not here. The salaries of the VP's and President will be out soon and tell me after seeing those, that they cant afford to negotiate with the union. You obviously dont know what you are talking about because the qualified people doing these jobs are just that, QUALIFIED. There are jobs out there for most of the skills that these people have, you just have to be willing to move and it is also for more money then the union employees are getting so you say walk. Hope you dont depend on having service at your house from a bunch of contractors.
TEXAS wrote:
IBEW is always Zthreating to "walk" if they don't get what they want. I say let them walk PNM and you will see qualified replacements coming out of the woodwork to earn a living. You can't tell me that the Union employees work there "tushies" off! they get paid an unbeliable amount of money to work eight hours a day and heaven forbid if they have to work a little OT then the pay escalates to an hourly fee that is RIDICULOUS. People are hurting because of layoffs and the Union wants more money??? give me a break..........Walk IBEW workers and then try to find another job that will pay you the wage your getting now, the breaks you get, the benefits you get, the training you get, and all the other perks that PNM gives you. I bet you will be out of work for a long, long time. Bottom line is they should be happy to have a job and if they don't like it then leave or walk because like I said there are hungry people willing to work for half of what these IBEW workers get not to mention what they want!!!
comin hot

Santa Cruz, NM

#35 May 12, 2012
keep goin strong union brothers and sisters.Have you ever herd that saying you get what you pay for?Well thats how it is with non union workers (RATS) THE QUALITY OF WORK JUST ISN'T THEIR NOR IS THE KNOWLEDGE OR THE SAFETY.My heart goes out to all the union employee's at pnm.RAT workers that come in and try to take work away from union workers are ignorant and miss guided with no work ethics or family values.Their own boss's get all the money while their workers work for pennies.The union is their for there fellow man ,to make sure that safety and good working conditions are met by the companies. Without the unions you just get bullied by idiots or management who try to act like they no what their doing
Former employee

Armagh, PA

#36 May 22, 2012
A few of the worthless 611 PNM employees are screwing it up for all the good ones. They look for any reason not to do their jobs, file endless grievances, abuse benefits and don't deserve a good job. Weed out the worthless ones and things will go a lot better.
Working Class

Albuquerque, NM

#37 May 29, 2012
All I can say is that union workers are just trying to keep what they have worked hard for. Many have put 20 or more years into PNM and have to fight for a mere 3% increase while CEO's and Upper Management get those huge bonus's and golden parachutes for firing Life ling residents of New Mexico. Most of Upper Management are from "AWAY" and could care less about the New Mexico Customers. Stand your ground IEBW. And if you think other people are qualified to do the job some union workers have been doing for years and doing it right, well you get what you pay for.
Reliability

Albuquerque, NM

#38 Jun 25, 2012
PNM is at the point where they can choose whom ever they want to keep the lights on. It's no secret, large manufacturing plants that come to New Mexico want electricty thats reliable. That means no outages or electrical glitches. To many of those and they'll pack up and leave.
Wake up, the jobs leave also to the next state they settle in. The tax money and the all revenue left in all the shops in New Mexico goes as well.
Read about it in the papers, "Lights go out, 7,000 customers out of service.
It's all about keeping the lights up and keeping the rates down. For those of you that arent familiar with what goes on behind the fence to generate and distribute this power, then keep believing a temp or contractor off the street will have the same skill and competency as the existing crews on the job. It takes a huge investment to train or find people that have the skill level to do this work. There are jobs in New Mexico. Manufacturing companies cant find the skill level they need to fill these jobs, so they go else where. PNM is not selling CHIPS and COKES here. They're selling reliable power maintained by the best in NEW MEXCO, why would'nt they want to keep it as such?
Sure it's a business and we need to cut costs across the board, but lets cut costs across the whole board and keep the electricity reliable.
Hopefull PNM can settle their issues, but I don't believe all of it has to do with the existing workforce.
Bold_ Strong

Albuquerque, NM

#39 Jun 15, 2013
girl from farmington wrote:
Obviously you have never worked at a power plant. Not just anyone can go out there and take over a job like the ones that have been making that company run for years. Maybe PNM will open their eyes so that others who have "some" training won't go out there and hurt or even kill the ones that are very qualified....replacement workers are just that...replacement's without experience...SCARY!!!<quote d text>
Okay, You say people who tries to work such as Temps getting put on to learn the skills to work are just replacements? Well explain how you started working doing what you do. You knew nothing how to do anything yourself until you LEARNED it. So stop being a cry baby & be GREATFUL you learned something to hold onto.
Bold_ Strong

Albuquerque, NM

#40 Jun 15, 2013
Okay so you say people get hired to learn this job such as Temps you claim as replacements & they dont know what they are doing, Well explain yourself to how you do the work you do today. You were trained & learned it from the start, so stop being a cry baby & be GREATFUL you learned something to hold onto. You were given a chance so allow others the same!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mystery Smell Blows Into Stockton (Oct '09) 12 hr A losie 16
News Power generating station beginning to take shape (Jan '08) Thu Myrtle 129
News Inside The Herald - If a community is only wort... (Jan '08) Thu Myrtle-Beach 53
News Formerly all-Boeing Alaska Air to keep Airbus j... Jul 21 Snowball in hell 3
News How Gwainevere Catchings Hess Continues The Fig... Jul 13 Gremlin 1
News Oil companies are just not that into Keystone XL. Jul 1 George S 1
News Pinnacle West Declares Quarterly Dividend Jun '17 Charles Harrison 1
More from around the web