PNM union work could stop without new contract

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

Nearly 300 San Juan Generating Station jobs are in jeopardy if electrical workers' union leaders don't settle a labor contract dispute with PNM.
Comments
1 - 20 of 41 Comments Last updated Jun 15, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Worker Bee

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

With todays economy and hundreds of people out of work right now, there are plenty of people willing to work.

Here is a good work rule,
Work or get fired.
Working person

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Doesn't sound like to me PNM is being very considerate to their employees or they wouldn't be telling them they are "training" their replacement. The union employee's work their tushies off for that company and deserve ample compensation. Instead they are receiving e-mails about their replacements being trained and are uncertain if they will go to work and not be allowed to work. Maybe PNM should stop and think about the assets they have in their current employees and how detrimental it would be to have to hire a bunch of new people who don't know what they are doing and train them.
Proud democRAT

Boulder, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Unions?! Another democrat scam run amok. Maybe people should grow up and learn how to negotiate jobs on their own instead of throwing it away on their union "dues".
TEXAS

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

IBEW is always threating to "walk" if they don't get what they want. I say let them walk PNM and you will see qualified replacements coming out of the woodwork to earn a living. You can't tell me that the Union employees work there "tushies" off! they get paid an unbeliable amount of money to work eight hours a day and heaven forbid if they have to work a little OT then the pay escalates to an hourly fee that is RIDICULOUS. People are hurting because of layoffs and the Union wants more money??? give me a break..........Walk IBEW workers and then try to find another job that will pay you the wage your getting now, the breaks you get, the benefits you get, the training you get, and all the other perks that PNM gives you. I bet you will be out of work for a long, long time. Bottom line is they should be happy to have a job and if they don't like it then leave or walk because like I said there are hungry people willing to work for half of what these IBEW workers get not to mention what they want!!!
girl from farmington

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Obviously you have never worked at a power plant. Not just anyone can go out there and take over a job like the ones that have been making that company run for years. Maybe PNM will open their eyes so that others who have "some" training won't go out there and hurt or even kill the ones that are very qualified....replacement workers are just that...replacement's without experience...SCARY!!!
TEXAS wrote:
IBEW is always threating to "walk" if they don't get what they want. I say let them walk PNM and you will see qualified replacements coming out of the woodwork to earn a living. You can't tell me that the Union employees work there "tushies" off! they get paid an unbeliable amount of money to work eight hours a day and heaven forbid if they have to work a little OT then the pay escalates to an hourly fee that is RIDICULOUS. People are hurting because of layoffs and the Union wants more money??? give me a break..........Walk IBEW workers and then try to find another job that will pay you the wage your getting now, the breaks you get, the benefits you get, the training you get, and all the other perks that PNM gives you. I bet you will be out of work for a long, long time. Bottom line is they should be happy to have a job and if they don't like it then leave or walk because like I said there are hungry people willing to work for half of what these IBEW workers get not to mention what they want!!!
A person in the know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Don't believe everything you read in the paper people!! This just yet another propaganda move by "poor little" PNM to cry that they are in deep financial despair and the Farmington Daily Times is more than happy to oblige this "sensational news". There is more of a chance of the company locking their workers out than the workers going on strike. The union has not talked about striking, they have not even called a strike vote, they have not even seen a last, best, and final offer from the company, let alone voted on one. The company will not answer questions the union has about their proposal and the issues are not just about union employees' pay, benefits and work-related rules. There other serious issues involved as well.
The company is not so innocent. Has anyone seen what the board of directors, presidents, and CEOs gave themselves for raises?? Does thousands of dollars in raises and bonuses and stock options seem fair in this economy to you?? What about their hourly wage?? Compare that to a journeyman and ask yourself who wage is unjust. According to the Alb. Journal in April of this year, "Apr. 23--Beyond salaries, PNM Resources' top five executives received tens of thousands of dollars in insurance, retirement and other benefits in 2008. Sterba, for example, received about $361,000 in such benefits atop the $830,228 he received in base salary and sold-back vacation time. That included about $21,850 in insurance premiums, a spending account cap of $23,000, a company contribution of $23,150 for the retirement savings plan, and $290,325 in company contributions to the executive savings plan. Each executive received: an executive spending account for services such as income tax preparation, financial planning and medical services; a retirement savings plan with a company match of 75 percent for the first 6 percent of the individual's contribution to a 401k (additional contributions as individual gets older); and an executive savings plan with additional funds toward the individual's retirement."
According to BusinessWeek.com total calculated compensation for Jeff Sterba in 2008 was $1,827,218 and Pat Vincent-Collawn was $1,068,866. In 2007 they cut over 400 jobs from the company and the next year they give themselves increases in benefits because they told the public they would increase their salaries. Well, they didn't they just compensated themselves in other ways! This for the leaders who made decisions that lead to the decline in our stock. They rewarded themselves despite poor leadership decisions.
Have any of you nay-sayers worked in coal-fired power plant? When you go to work is job filled with hazards to your safety and health? How long did it take your to learn you job? Most jobs in this industry take 5 to 6 years for proficient competency.
So before any of you jump so quickly on the bandwagon of itís the unionís fault, why donít you take a step back and look at the whole picture of what is going on. The money is not the issue, that has been settled at a tiny percent increase. Before judging union workers at this power plant as greedy, consider they greed of the company.
PayThem

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

We suffer the pollution and California buys the electricity - the more these guys make the better it is for our local economy - they all need a raise !!!
farmington resident

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

A person in the know wrote:
Don't believe everything you read in the paper people!! This just yet another propaganda move by "poor little" PNM to cry that they are in deep financial despair and the Farmington Daily Times is more than happy to oblige this "sensational news". There is more of a chance of the company locking their workers out than the workers going on strike. The union has not talked about striking, they have not even called a strike vote, they have not even seen a last, best, and final offer from the company, let alone voted on one. The company will not answer questions the union has about their proposal and the issues are not just about union employees' pay, benefits and work-related rules. There other serious issues involved as well.
The company is not so innocent. Has anyone seen what the board of directors, presidents, and CEOs gave themselves for raises?? Does thousands of dollars in raises and bonuses and stock options seem fair in this economy to you?? What about their hourly wage?? Compare that to a journeyman and ask yourself who wage is unjust. According to the Alb. Journal in April of this year, "Apr. 23--Beyond salaries, PNM Resources' top five executives received tens of thousands of dollars in insurance, retirement and other benefits in 2008. Sterba, for example, received about $361,000 in such benefits atop the $830,228 he received in base salary and sold-back vacation time. That included about $21,850 in insurance premiums, a spending account cap of $23,000, a company contribution of $23,150 for the retirement savings plan, and $290,325 in company contributions to the executive savings plan. Each executive received: an executive spending account for services such as income tax preparation, financial planning and medical services; a retirement savings plan with a company match of 75 percent for the first 6 percent of the individual's contribution to a 401k (additional contributions as individual gets older); and an executive savings plan with additional funds toward the individual's retirement."
According to BusinessWeek.com total calculated compensation for Jeff Sterba in 2008 was $1,827,218 and Pat Vincent-Collawn was $1,068,866. In 2007 they cut over 400 jobs from the company and the next year they give themselves increases in benefits because they told the public they would increase their salaries. Well, they didn't they just compensated themselves in other ways! This for the leaders who made decisions that lead to the decline in our stock. They rewarded themselves despite poor leadership decisions.
Have any of you nay-sayers worked in coal-fired power plant? When you go to work is job filled with hazards to your safety and health? How long did it take your to learn you job? Most jobs in this industry take 5 to 6 years for proficient competency.
So before any of you jump so quickly on the bandwagon of itís the unionís fault, why donít you take a step back and look at the whole picture of what is going on. The money is not the issue, that has been settled at a tiny percent increase. Before judging union workers at this power plant as greedy, consider they greed of the company.
Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about!!!! GO IBEW local 611 the hardest workers around...oh and lets not forget how they go out there and breath coal dust day in and day out!!!! I for one am proud of the IBEW.
farmington resident

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Worker Bee wrote:
With todays economy and hundreds of people out of work right now, there are plenty of people willing to work.
Here is a good work rule,
Work or get fired.
Do you even have a job??
Equity

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Call it jealousy...

Most (albeit not all - some I know very well) of the oilfield and gasfield workers in the Four Corners mindlessly repeat the Rush/Hannity conservative catchphrases, and tell anyone who was pro-union how they're out of touch with reality, and that THEY represented the future: good pay, lots of overtime, company vehicles, etc. "What idiot would join a union... our NON-union oilfield workers are MUCH better off."

Now - as any half-wit could have predicted whose attention span is more than 6 minutes long - there's another slowdown/bust cycle looming over the industry, and the local oil and gas-related employees regret not having the ability to negotiate en-masse with their employers. They are terminated at a whim, and their incomes nosedive to zero.

Unions are there for a reason, and the reason usually has NOTHING to do with the employees being selfish, and everything to do with the way a companies treats them. That said, once a union is in place the employess are going to "push back" against management... just like the companies have always done.

Asking for cost-of-living increases is not greed, and ANYONE would ask for the same in their own jobs. It's just a shame that it requires unionization to force the hand of management who line their own pockets while leaving the employees out to dry.

BTW - I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with PNM or the oil and gas industry.
these union hacks

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

all look to their lord and savior obammy now that he has turned over the car companies to them, so the probably want the gov. to take over the plants and give them to the union too. Surprise guys, better hang on to what you got, when his cap-n-trade passes and his carbon tax comes and the push to end all coal use, then you can go on strike and hope to buy some groceries with the strike funds.
four corners resident

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

has anyone thought that its not wages holding up the negotiations?!!!! there is more on the table then just money!!!!!!!!
farmington resident

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

four corners resident wrote:
has anyone thought that its not wages holding up the negotiations?!!!! there is more on the table then just money!!!!!!!!
No these idiots can't see past anything but themselves, they don't even know what is going on during negotiations, I for one am very involved so if you don't know why there isn't a contract...shut the eff up!!!
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Let the temps run the 4 boiler monster, they can blow up those 4 turbines, worth millions of dollars. Then we can have another 4 boiler turnaround again. More money for my boilermaker brothers and sisters from the rez.

bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

TEXAS wrote:
Work for half, you got to be kiddin. With all the fly ash you have to breathe. Wearing a respirator all day or night. Some of these workers don't even live to see 60. Some kind of cancer has already taken them. I knew some of workers at PNM, came down with some kind of brain tumor. They just died. To much electricity. I seen some workers just get white hair and dried up skin in a very short time. Your always sick, congestion problems, I lost some of my hearing and smelling due to working at those plants. I come home and blow out my nose in the shower, talk about black and grey ----, that is even with a respirator. Talk about phelm in your lungs, yellow spit, especially from the SO2 areas. Talk about your skin peeling off the soles of your feet, from working in the acid cells, crawling around on your stomach cleaning acid trays, talk about walking upstairs to the top of the boiler when the elevator breaks down with a respirator. And I don't even smoke. Talk about huffing and puffing for air. I knew a guy that had a heart attack from the stairs. Talk about the insulation floating around in the air, the insulation sparkles in the sunlight. If you are'nt wearing a respirator, all those sparkles are going to your lungs. There are some workers even die at work, industrial accidents. You could be walking and BAM, a tube lock scaffold pipe knocked you out, never to work again for the rest of your life. A friend of mine had this happen to him. Now he lives in pain. Talk about supervisors watching you like a hawk, telling their foremans to push you. Now, talk about females at the powerplants is another story.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Equity wrote:
Call it jealousy...
Most (albeit not all - some I know very well) of the oilfield and gasfield workers in the Four Corners mindlessly repeat the Rush/Hannity conservative catchphrases, and tell anyone who was pro-union how they're out of touch with reality, and that THEY represented the future: good pay, lots of overtime, company vehicles, etc. "What idiot would join a union... our NON-union oilfield workers are MUCH better off."
Now - as any half-wit could have predicted whose attention span is more than 6 minutes long - there's another slowdown/bust cycle looming over the industry, and the local oil and gas-related employees regret not having the ability to negotiate en-masse with their employers. They are terminated at a whim, and their incomes nosedive to zero.
Unions are there for a reason, and the reason usually has NOTHING to do with the employees being selfish, and everything to do with the way a companies treats them. That said, once a union is in place the employess are going to "push back" against management... just like the companies have always done.
Asking for cost-of-living increases is not greed, and ANYONE would ask for the same in their own jobs. It's just a shame that it requires unionization to force the hand of management who line their own pockets while leaving the employees out to dry.
BTW - I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with PNM or the oil and gas industry.
That made sense to me.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

bottom ash wrote:
<quoted text>Work for half, you got to be kiddin. With all the fly ash you have to breathe. Wearing a respirator all day or night. Some of these workers don't even live to see 60. Some kind of cancer has already taken them. I knew some of workers at PNM, came down with some kind of brain tumor. They just died. To much electricity. I seen some workers just get white hair and dried up skin in a very short time. Your always sick, congestion problems, I lost some of my hearing and smelling due to working at those plants. I come home and blow out my nose in the shower, talk about black and grey ----, that is even with a respirator. Talk about phelm in your lungs, yellow spit, especially from the SO2 areas. Talk about your skin peeling off the soles of your feet, from working in the acid cells, crawling around on your stomach cleaning acid trays, talk about walking upstairs to the top of the boiler when the elevator breaks down with a respirator. And I don't even smoke. Talk about huffing and puffing for air. I knew a guy that had a heart attack from the stairs. Talk about the insulation floating around in the air, the insulation sparkles in the sunlight. If you are'nt wearing a respirator, all those sparkles are going to your lungs. There are some workers even die at work, industrial accidents. You could be walking and BAM, a tube lock scaffold pipe knocked you out, never to work again for the rest of your life. A friend of mine had this happen to him. Now he lives in pain. Talk about supervisors watching you like a hawk, telling their foremans to push you. Now, talk about females at the powerplants is another story.
MAN! That's the craziest story I've ever heard and one of the most heart-wrenching.

Why would anyone continue to work there? You can't spend the money if you're dead.
Mingus

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Equity wrote:
Call it jealousy...
My attention span is 2 minuites, fortunatley it only took minuite to read your dribble. I worked in a union job 1980/81. Hated it, the union wanted to strike and I just wanted to work. I love working in the gas industry and am glad the union stays away.
If the big 3 auto makers could have purged the union from thier ranks, they might not be in so much trouble.
A person in the know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Mingus wrote:
<quoted text>
My attention span is 2 minuites, fortunatley it only took minuite to read your dribble. I worked in a union job 1980/81. Hated it, the union wanted to strike and I just wanted to work. I love working in the gas industry and am glad the union stays away.
If the big 3 auto makers could have purged the union from thier ranks, they might not be in so much trouble.
What about purging CEOs, presidents, vice-presidents of their MILLION dollars salaries, bonuses, and stock options????????
and you of course know

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

you have the freedom and right to seek employment in a cleaner, safer atmosphere if you wish. I think probably you applied for the job, the company did not approach you to work in these deplorable conditions.
bottom ash wrote:
<quoted text>Work for half, you got to be kiddin. With all the fly ash you have to breathe. Wearing a respirator all day or night. Some of these workers don't even live to see 60. Some kind of cancer has already taken them. I knew some of workers at PNM, came down with some kind of brain tumor. They just died. To much electricity. I seen some workers just get white hair and dried up skin in a very short time. Your always sick, congestion problems, I lost some of my hearing and smelling due to working at those plants. I come home and blow out my nose in the shower, talk about black and grey ----, that is even with a respirator. Talk about phelm in your lungs, yellow spit, especially from the SO2 areas. Talk about your skin peeling off the soles of your feet, from working in the acid cells, crawling around on your stomach cleaning acid trays, talk about walking upstairs to the top of the boiler when the elevator breaks down with a respirator. And I don't even smoke. Talk about huffing and puffing for air. I knew a guy that had a heart attack from the stairs. Talk about the insulation floating around in the air, the insulation sparkles in the sunlight. If you are'nt wearing a respirator, all those sparkles are going to your lungs. There are some workers even die at work, industrial accidents. You could be walking and BAM, a tube lock scaffold pipe knocked you out, never to work again for the rest of your life. A friend of mine had this happen to him. Now he lives in pain. Talk about supervisors watching you like a hawk, telling their foremans to push you. Now, talk about females at the powerplants is another story.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Energy Discussions

Search the Energy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Arizona utility wants to install rooftop systems 16 hr Solarman 1
Exxon Mobil Report Fuels Panic on Street (Jul '07) 22 hr Human at Earth 77
Consumer News Story (Mar '08) Mon Tricked into contract 23
Don Brunell | It's not easy being green in the ... Jul 26 Solarman 1
Irving-Based Exxon Mobil Says It'll Follow New ... Jul 23 Wondering 16
Exxon Mobil says it'll follow new anti-bias rules Jul 23 Rainbow Kid 2
No place for nuclear dump Jul 21 Harper changed rules 2 1
•••
•••