Utility employees sue So. Cal Edison alleging racial discrimination

A group of 11 current and former black employees of Southern California Edison filed a lawsuit against the utility giant, alleging a pattern of racial discrimination against them. Full Story

Since: Dec 09

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Jul 21, 2010
DESERT RAT wrote:
"current and former black employees"
You mean.....some of them used to be black?
The article also says "representing the the employees".....apparently the editor of the Pasadena Star-News is on vacation.

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jul 21, 2010
These complainers crying "discrimination!Ē frustrate me - always pulling the race-card, almost looking for an excuse to.

They should be extremely grateful they even have jobs. I sure as hell am.
Here we go again

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Jul 21, 2010
SgV wrote:
I work for this company and I believe this skin color card is getting old. As soon as we apply for a certain position and dont get hired... they start crying "DISCRIMINATION". Ive noticed now managment is so scared of a lawsuit, they give them there way.
It's the new obama way. Shutting down big evil corporations so that the KING can control his entire KINGDOM
chuck

Claremont, CA

#24 Jul 21, 2010
I am sure the company pulled up his job performance reviews and saw who was more qualified for promotion.If a person wants to get promoted they have to earn it this sounds like sour grapes to me.As the the saying goes if you can find something better out there go for it.
Seriously

Arcadia, CA

#25 Jul 21, 2010
I can't speak for the unions here because I'm not a union employee at SCE, but for the rest of us employees that can't get away with murder (ha-ha)...racial discrimination here...NOW...really?? I would have bought that maybe 15-20 years ago...my mom used to tell me some stories of working at SCE then...but you can't even tell a joke (not that you should) with any racial implications without getting called in. We have women, African Americans, hispanics, gays all in managerial and officer roles...dude...so you didn't get the job you applied for...get over it...happens to everyone...but don't pull out the race card.
flags

La Crescenta, CA

#26 Jul 21, 2010
Great news wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked for a company for 30 years and was happy with my middle of the road position. Then we got the new boss from Mexico. He promoted many of his race to upper positions, although they needed training by ME. I knew something was up, when I had to train these people on certain special jobs I did. Sure enough, I was laid off. This of course, came after I received a less than average review. So discrimination comes in all colors. Remember this "FOR THE RACE, EVERYTHING, OUTSIDE THE RACE, NOTHING". And it's coming to your workplace, as well.
Was this Bimbo USA?
dr Lee

United States

#27 Jul 21, 2010
ya believe EDISON personal does hold some truth to these allegations . i worked their for quite a few years , and their was some favortism and biasness practiced from time to time ..........
[ got to keep WHITIE on top ].

Los Angeles, CA

#28 Jul 21, 2010
dr Lee wrote:
ya believe EDISON personal does hold some truth to these allegations . i worked their for quite a few years , and their was some favortism and biasness practiced from time to time ..........
[ got to keep WHITIE on top ].
"Whitie on top"? Puh-lease!

Plus with spelling & grammar like that, let's hope you're truly not a doctor.
Too Smoggy

Fresno, CA

#29 Jul 21, 2010
Big deal.ATT practices this same crap as does The Gas Company.Just get another job and don't work for employers who practice this nonsense.These companies also don't promote as many women as men or those over 50.
EL Tigre Chino

United States

#30 Jul 21, 2010
If you don't like it then leave?
Here we go again

Los Angeles, CA

#31 Jul 21, 2010
EL Tigre Chino wrote:
I see you and raise you "If you don't like it go start your own company"

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#32 Jul 21, 2010
Workers on the plantation, typical ghetto talk. I can hear them all now, give me the money, I bees discriminated against.
JustMe

New Cuyama, CA

#33 Jul 21, 2010
I'm still waiting for the day when no one complains of favortism, discrimination, etc., but I don't think that day will ever come. As long as there are people who will play up their "different-ness" or diversity, or race even, then no one will be on top, no matter who or what you are. The only thing that should count is effort, competence, and success. There is nothing else.
Too Smoggy

Fresno, CA

#34 Jul 21, 2010
EL Tigre Chino wrote:
Why not?Glad I left ATT.Started my own business.I've been to that Edison building when I worked for ATT.There were 99% white males.They looked down their snotty littel noses when they realized the other person at ATT who worked on their data cirtcuits was a woman.They gave my male co-worker respect and kudos even though he did not do as good of a job as I.Before I left ATT the Hispanic male managers promoted the Hispanic men.The black female bosses promoted black females.The only white female to get promoted slept her way to management as did her Hispanic female friend.The only white male got promoted because his daddy was in upper management.They didn't promote the most qualified most of the time.Those are the facts with corporate America.I still tell people if you have dialtone consider yourself lucky when you see the incompetants that work at the phone companies and that includes VErizon.
Goldy

Long Beach, CA

#35 Jul 23, 2010
Simply because a few blacks have been promoted at SCE or we now have an african american president doesn't eliminate discrimination. IT STILL EXIST and the consent decree agreements with Edison have NOT been adhered to. It is truly disheartening to work in a position for a number of years and know that you are qualified, but passed over for someone with little to no experience. Your co-workers ask if you applied and everyone wonders why this other person was brought in WHO YOU HAVE TO TRAIN! Now if you weren't qualified, why are you training the new person?
Edison promotes integrity, ethics compliance and Diversity and Inclusion BUT they don't follow their own policies. Discrimination is alive and well at SCE and it's about time someone stood up so the rest of us don't have to continue to suffer.

Since: Jun 10

Marin County

#36 Jul 23, 2010
Too Smoggy wrote:
<quoted text>The only white female to get promoted slept her way to management.
At the risk of sounding chauvinistic, maybe she was just using her skills to her advantage...she figured she couldn't COOK her way to the top.
GRIMREAPER

Pomona, CA

#37 Jul 23, 2010
For those of you that think that racism is gone and everyone is treated equal and fair. you need to pull your head out of your A##, when your head is up you A##. everything looks and smellls the same. so pull your head out your A## wipe the SH## out of your eye's and open them.

Everything in life is based on the Visual. thats why a "pretty person" will get a job before an "ugly person" A "fit" peron before a "Fat" person.

Then i guess we should not have interviews and all jobs should be awarded on test scores alone.

If you score number one on a test the job is yours right?

RACISM IS REAL.........

RACISM IS PRACTICED BY ALL.......ITS CALLED I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE BEING AROUND A PERSON LIKE ME...

Watching

United States

#38 Jul 25, 2010
Iíve worked for Southern California Edison for over 17 years. I am very grateful to have a job in this bad economy and Iím relieved the African Americans filed another rightful lawsuit! Thank you for writing about this blatant corporate abuse that is rather customary in Southern California Edison and DWP. I hope Southern California Edison will be investigated for its many years of wrongful employment abuses!
If you interview different employees from this company, you will definitely hear differences of opinions on the validity of this complaint from the African American employees. There are plenty of inconsistencies in the way that various groups of minority employees are treated at Southern California Edison. Sadly, I have witnessed many African Americans, Hispanics, and Arabs being racially discriminated against. Iíve witnessed Asians discriminated against; just because they might have had a thick accent.
I have observed numerous incidences of slander, racial discrimination, sabotage, sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Equally, I have witnessed retaliation against employees who dare to file a grievance, workerís compensation claim and or even a sexual harassment complaint. I know of a Hispanic service planner who was awarded a supervisor promotion for not reporting when he was injured on the job. I also know of the highly qualified African-American planner, who should have been rewarded that position, because he was not only a college graduate, but had far more experience than the Hispanic planner. Several corporate policies do not apply to those who are entitled, especially if youíre part of the SCE family and related to a manager or an executive, in the good ole boys club.
One of the record observations Iíve had working for SCE is that it really is a racist and patriarchal company! It thrives on the scheme that breeding a culture of nepotism and cronyism will compensate loyalty to the corporation. Itís very common to work with employees whose grandparents, parents, husbands/wives, cousins, nieces, nephews, girlfriends/boyfriends, all work for the company. Itís also very loyal to those employees who are related to politicians who can influence public policy, which benefits Southern California Edison. A lot of promotional opportunities and preferential treatment is entitled to anyone who might fall in into one of these categories or classes of employees. Your years of service or working in the Customer Service Business Unit, might also grant you some of these entitlements or certain rights of passage, even if youíre a different color. It sometimes seems like when they do put a minority in management, theyíre only there to symbolize how ďdiverseĒ Southern California Edison represents itself. They pay off these non-profit, minority business magazines that always portray SCE in a favorable light.
Please continue to write about this story! It is very important that this company and its cohorts are held liable for their crimes of discrimination and retaliation!
SCE CSBU CSI Department

Fullerton, CA

#39 Aug 5, 2010
This department retaliates against its employees by giving them low PPA/PDP scores and checking "need improvement" on the employees PDP. Also this department forces its employees to work uncompensated overtime even on the July 4th weekend. Employees had contacted Barbara Perez in payroll to see if he/she should be compensated on July 5th since it is a legal holiday and Barbara said yes and should be coded as "Supplemental" time for salaried employees. But Gary Barsley and Priscilla Ortiz games the system by saying that there is no compensation for coming to work on a Company Holiday. This is a very hostile working environment and everyone is trying to leave this Department.
SCE CSBU CSI Dept

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#40 Aug 24, 2010
Priscilla Ortiz sent an email out that our beloved brother Andy is no longer employed by SCE. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Oh yea, we forgot that HR protects upper management. We come to work in fear everyday wondering who is next on the chopping block.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheney's Halliburton Made $39.5 Billion on Iraq... (Mar '13) 11 hr Swedenforever 43
Boys & Girls Club receives $15,000 donation (Oct '06) 12 hr fyi 2
Possibility of "Bandido" Biker-Gang Members in ... (Dec '09) Nov 20 Unknown 34
Congress is voting on Keystone pipeline, but ob... Nov 19 WeTheSheeple 2
Power outage hits San Bernardino (Jul '10) Nov 16 watersger 16
As US reduces coal use, developer in rural Geor... Nov 15 SpaceBlues 1
Ex-Enron CEO gets 10 years cut from sentence (Jun '13) Nov 14 disgusted 5

Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE