Utility employees sue So. Cal Edison alleging racial discrimination

Full story: San Gabriel Valley Tribune

A group of 11 current and former black employees of Southern California Edison filed a lawsuit against the utility giant, alleging a pattern of racial discrimination against them.
Comments
1 - 20 of 47 Comments Last updated Apr 29, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SgV

Hacienda Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2010

I work for this company and I believe this skin color card is getting old. As soon as we apply for a certain position and dont get hired... they start crying "DISCRIMINATION". Ive noticed now managment is so scared of a lawsuit, they give them there way.
TexMex

Rowland Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Perhaps some of these people have been brain-washed by Obama. Spending 35 year at a company, as one worker stated, and having seniority does not make an employee competent. There are too many people who shuffle along in their position, and accomplish litltle if anything. People with less seniority and experience should be promoted if they are productive, have innovative ideas, and a drive to work hard.
ABCD

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

IF THERE WAS DISCRIMINATION , WHY ONLY TO BLACKS . THEN THEY SAY SOME BLACKS WERE PROMOTED . YOU CAN HAVE 20 YEARS IN BUT IF SOMEONE WITH 5 YEARS IN IS A BETTER WORKER , LEADER , AND SHOWED MORE DRIVE WHY NOT GIVE IT TO THE ONE WITH 5 IF HE EARNED IT BY WORKING HARDER THAN THE OTHER . SO WHO WAS DISCRIMINATING -THE WHITES BUT THEY STATE LATINOS PROMOTED . JUST BECAUSE YOU SKATE BY FOR 20 YEARS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE TO BE NEXT . IF THEY START PROMOTING BECAUSE OF THE LAWSUIT THATS REVEARS DISCRIMINATION . IF THEY THINK THAT THEY ARE SO GOOD AT THEIR JOB , BETTER THAN EVERYONE AROUND THEM , GET ANOTHER DAM JOB !!!. THIS $ HIT GETS OLD , THEY THINK THEY DESERVE EVERYTHING BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK . IF YOU WANT A PROMOTION WORK YOUR AS$ OFF AND EARN IT . IF TH@E TOP BRASS GIVES IN JUST BECAUSE THEY CRY EVERY SO OFTEN THATS BULL $ HIT . THEY WON'T HAVE NO RESPECT BY THEIR CREWS THEY RUN , I BET THE CREWS WILL DRAG A$$ TO PROVE A POINT . WHATS NEXT EVERYONE WITH BLACK HAIR , PEOPLE UNDER 6 FT. TALL , PEOPLE THAT WEAR GLASSES THEN THEY WILL BE ABLE TO DO THE SAME TO GET A PROMOTION .$ HIT DON'T HIRE THEM AT ALL AND AVOID THE WHOLE LAWSUIT BIT . NO ONE IS OWED ANYTHING YOU DON'T EARN !
fred flintstone

Gardena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

SgV wrote:
I work for this company and I believe this skin color card is getting old. As soon as we apply for a certain position and dont get hired... they start crying "DISCRIMINATION". Ive noticed now managment is so scared of a lawsuit, they give them there way.
Thats TRUE.
when i applied for job with SCE, Had to test and over 600 people applied for that same position. was ONE of Three that were Chosen for Positions.
If Your Not Qualified You Should Not Get Position Because of RACE or Color.
its the GREY MATTER THAT COUNTS.

Want Youe Doctors to be Chosen By Race and Color or would you want the Best in the Class
(thats Simple to Figure Out)
fred flintstone

Gardena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

TexMex wrote:
Perhaps some of these people have been brain-washed by Obama. Spending 35 year at a company, as one worker stated, and having seniority does not make an employee competent. There are too many people who shuffle along in their position, and accomplish litltle if anything. People with less seniority and experience should be promoted if they are productive, have innovative ideas, and a drive to work hard.
reading your statement It Sounds Like Your Talking About Federal / State / County / City Unions and How they Hold the Gun to the States Heads. the Tax Payers CAN'T KEEP PAYING FOR THIS.
Make Sure YOUR VOTE COUNTS NEXT ELECTION. Don't Vote Pary like the Dumbocrats
Vote For People Who Are Going to REDUCE the GIVE AWAY OF YOUR MONEY to unions
william

Glendora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

these guys need a really strong laxative as does their attorney. Looks like Hoskins ran out of walking around money from the last suit and wants to milk the Edison cash cow again. SENIORITY only works in a union position and management is not union.

I worked for SCE for 8 years and did union work for six more. Edison was not a bad company to work for.
william

Glendora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

BTW- texmex is a moron. The first suit was during the Nixon era and the second was under Clinton. Hoskins the malingerer worked during Reagan, two Bush, and Clinton. If anything, he is a product of republican policies under his line of thinking.
waldobinney

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

My Sicilian-American, lilly white ass, is gonna be pissed if my utility bill increases because some racist black man files a lawsuit of discrimination against So Cal Edison, ....and wins millions.....

Since: Jun 10

Marin County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Judged:

fred flintstone wrote:
<quoted text>If Your Not Qualified You Should Not Get Position Because of RACE or Color.
its the GREY MATTER THAT COUNTS.
I think Just For Men has a new shampoo for that.
Great news

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

TexMex wrote:
I worked for a company for 30 years and was happy with my middle of the road position. Then we got the new boss from Mexico. He promoted many of his race to upper positions, although they needed training by ME. I knew something was up, when I had to train these people on certain special jobs I did. Sure enough, I was laid off. This of course, came after I received a less than average review. So discrimination comes in all colors. Remember this "FOR THE RACE, EVERYTHING, OUTSIDE THE RACE, NOTHING". And it's coming to your workplace, as well.
Louden

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

You people complain too much.
get a life

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Louden wrote:
You people complain too much.
Then go walk your dog and stop reading these posts!

See how easy that was?

But we DO appreciate your opinions..........NOT!
get a life

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

And folks, this is exactly what the UNIONS provide for you...they payers! You get a bunch of low esteem, lazy, ignorant employees, that are told by some idiot that they "deserve" to have been moved up the ranks and because their black they were held back. To that I say (b)ullshit.The black have never had a better life than right now in the past 100 years. Yet they have idiots like Sharpton, and Jackson and Rev. Wright and the ACLU, screaming in their ears that they DESERVE getting things just because their black and we, the white man did this to them! Say thanks to 'affirmative action' people. This is what it's gotten us. A load of crap. People doing a half (a)ssed job wanting and thinking they deserve a better position just because they've put in some time! between the f*ing Latino's taking over and the blacks always complaining and pulling the race card crap, I say just give them a couple of States and annex them from America....then let's see how long it takes before they have totally destroyed it and come begging for help!
Ken

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

when will these lazy ass people realize it's job performance, not seniority that will get you a promotion? Just cause you're there forever, the company owes you nothing if somebody else's ability surpasses yours.
Louden

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

get a life wrote:
<quoted text>
Then go walk your dog and stop reading these posts!
See how easy that was?
But we DO appreciate your opinions..........NOT!
Sorry. What i meant by "you people" was refering to blacks. They complain to GD much. They're lucky to be working for that company.
Taco Willie

Wildomar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Affirmative action was DEAD years ago, yet the lames will use it to advance their LAME @sses at the expense of the common man.
William

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

I been working here for over 40years and yes, there is and always will be discrimination. having said that, if you do your job and work hard ,you will advance just like evryone else. There are no free rides in this company and I have seen people given jobs becasue of how they were related to or because they weree black. All of this is wrong, this Company has been good to me and I personally feel that it has gotten better over the years.
sgvgirl

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Logic tells me there is more to this than the color of their skin. Do you think attitude could be a contributing factor to their lack of success?

If you stay in a job long enough to be involved in two of these lawsuits over the past 16 years, there's a reason. If you're that unhappy, leave. Oh wait, you work for a cash cow. Love to be called for jury duty on this one.
Taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

If only White and Hispanic get promoted, I guess there are no "Asian or Pacific/Islanders" promotions either?
DESERT RAT

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

"current and former black employees"

You mean.....some of them used to be black?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Energy Discussions

Search the Energy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Correction: Exxon Mobil-Gay Rights Story 8 min Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub 4
Arizona utility wants to install rooftop systems Tue Solarman 1
Exxon Mobil Report Fuels Panic on Street (Jul '07) Tue Human at Earth 77
Consumer News Story (Mar '08) Jul 28 Tricked into contract 23
Don Brunell | It's not easy being green in the ... Jul 26 Solarman 1
Irving-Based Exxon Mobil Says It'll Follow New ... Jul 23 Wondering 16
Exxon Mobil says it'll follow new anti-bias rules Jul 23 Rainbow Kid 2
•••
•••