Con Ed tree cutting in Greenburgh, Yonkers angers many

Nov 28, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Journal News

YONKERS - The felling of trees along the Catskill Aqueduct has angry residents complaining that a utility company went overboard in protecting its right of way.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2013
Verystupid

Belmar, NJ

#1 Dec 3, 2009
I am sympathizing with the decision by Con Edison to cut down all tall trees that are close to their high-voltage lines. Even trees standing few hundred feet away from the power lines can be blown into the lines by strong wind, causing power outages. Equally dangerous are trees growing along public highways. They can fall and cause accidents. Such trees should be cut down at least one hundred feet from the highway. Trees growing next to private houses, if they fall, can cause damage to the property and even deaths. Once in a while we hear a horrible story of a street tree falling on people. Towns and cities should clean their streets from that danger entirely. I really think that trees belong in the parks, away from humans. Even there they should be planted at a safe distance from pedestrian walkways.
Anonymous

Yorktown Heights, NY

#2 Dec 6, 2009
Perhaps, Con Edison needs to re-examine its priorities.

To be a "steward of the environment" does not mean that you can "buy your way" through philantropic contributions to enviromental and nature organizations. Con Edison should instead consider using such money to repair the environmental damage that they have done to communities all over Westchester County. Think of all the damage that has been done to residents in the affected communities---how both their property values and quality of life have declined. Let's not forget issues such as the resultant flooding and erosion. If nothing is done to stop them, the damage will continue.

While we all agree that safety and reliability of electric lines are important, those of us close to the issues know well that Con Edison has gone way beyond what is necessary to maintain safety and reliability. Con Edison's overly-aggressive tree removal/vegetation management programs have resulted in the destruction of numerous non-threatening trees and other non-threatening vegetation---both on the transmission lines and distribution lines---all over Westchester County. The reality of the matter is that Con Edison is doing what is cheapest for them at the expense of the residents in the affected communities.

Once the trees are gone, they are gone. What happened to tree trimming?

Con Edison's replanting and restoration efforts are pitiful.

The PSC is definitley part of the problem. They have shown over and over again that they have little concern for the environment or the residents in the affected communities. They do not provide adequate oversight of Con Edison and its vegetation management programs. Our elected officials need to conduct investigative hearings at the county and state levels to investigate both Con Edison and the PSC in these environmentally related matters.

Please contact your local, county, and state officials in order to request that stop work orders be obtained and issued against Con Edison's vegetation management programs and that investigative hearings take place.
Alan Brody

Woodbury, NY

#3 Dec 6, 2009
What has taken place is nothing less than a Tree Holocaust.

Con Ed owes its neighbors reparations in the form of tree-lined borders.
Steven Pottle

Edison, NJ

#4 Dec 27, 2009
Think of the hundreds or thousands of trees that could have been absorbing carbon dioxide.

Founder of:

Energyignited.com
Minerva

Bergenfield, NJ

#5 Dec 30, 2009
I agree with the last 3 posters on all of it. The first guy obviously works for Con-Ed, the tree cutters or his family does.

Driving up Palmer Road in Yonkers from Bronxville toward the Saw Mill North--it looks like a Tree Holocaust. They have clear cut swaths all the way to the New York State Thruway- 87. It looks like a trucking lane for Weyerhauser in Washington State. What are they thinking??

Those trees were 50 to 100 years old. I am amazed that the residents didn't protest like they did in Irvington where I live!

It's all about power--electric and otherwise.
Jack in Hartsdale

White Plains, NY

#6 Jan 9, 2010
I would guess that the percentage of trees that Con Ed is removing vs the total number of trees in Westchester is far less than 1%, so the environmental damage is probably negligible. Many trees ("volunteers") are basically big weeds. I applaud Con Ed's efforts to remove these weeds before they cause damage to our houses and cars, power outages, and personal injuries. They shouldn't have waited so long.
Minerva

Bergenfield, NJ

#7 Jan 11, 2010
Acacias have been around since the Greeks--all vegetation can be classified as giant weeds if it is not indigenous--Americans are not indigenous.

Con Ed over stepped personal boundaries of behavior, bullied the communities, hired tree assassinators rather than pruning professionals and is acting like a monolithic uncaring capitalistic corporation without regard to the customers who keep them in business.
kat

Eastchester, NY

#8 Feb 10, 2010
what is going on is horrible ...point blank... come on residnets lets do something about this
OttoZap

New York, NY

#9 Apr 16, 2010
People cut down trees first and ask questions later. As one post points out, think about carbon dioxide. Also think about beauty.

My question is: how does one go about getting a stop order in NY State?
Linda

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Feb 23, 2013
I live in Staten Island, New York.During hurricane Sandy a large tree fell on a power line. The tree was not mine and was in a vacant lot next to my vacant lot which is attached to the back yard of my home. It was a huge tree! The now fallen tree is the view from my house window. It is an eye sore! Con Edison said they will not remove the tree which they let fall on my property. They would not even cut it up. Since it was not on my property, they should have cut it in a way that it fell on the property it was growing on. Is it true what they are saying. If they cut a fallen tree on a power line they are not responsible to remove it? It will cost me a fortune to have it removed and I don't have the money. They were so rude to me when they were out there cutting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Higher gas prices expected after refinery fire (Aug '12) 5 hr Tuco Blondie 10
Cabot Oil & Gas to Buy East Texas Assets; Bossi... (Jul '08) Thu Bryan 12
Market Chatter- Corporate finance press digest Aug 26 Robert Burns 1
Diablo Canyon nuclear plant should be closed fo... Aug 25 Nathanael 1
U.S.-Russia sanctions rhetoric shakes companies... Aug 25 Robert Burns 4
Western Refining Adds Victory Electronic Cigare... Aug 22 Txn 12
Power outage reported in El Monte (Aug '09) Aug 17 Brian 6
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••