SCE&G Agrees to Smaller Rate Increase

SCE&G Agrees to Smaller Rate Increase

There are 50 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Oct 24, 2007, titled SCE&G Agrees to Smaller Rate Increase. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

The Columbia-based utility asked for a seven-and-a-half percent increase this summer, but settled on a five-and-a-half percent increase.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Cola Concerned Citizen

United States

#1 Oct 24, 2007
Thank you!

“Snowman, you got your ears on?”

Since: May 07

"Eastbound & Down"

#2 Oct 24, 2007
OK, but if my power goes out and their is no storm then I want a refund.
Why

Lexington, SC

#3 Oct 24, 2007
bandit_ wrote:
OK, but if my power goes out and their is no storm then I want a refund.
Why would you need a refund if you are not using ANY power at all while the power is out?

Let me ask, are you also one of the low-income entitlement class that files for a tax credit every year to get a refund of more than you paid in?
CJC

Mount Pleasant, SC

#4 Oct 24, 2007
They will settle for a smaller rate. Well thank you so much you greedy [email protected] Everytime I turn around your raising your rates. I lose power with them on a sunny day for no reason, and when a storm comes up you can bet I lose it then. I haven't had one bill less than $200.00 from them. And that is conserving it. I hate SCE&G and there rates increase. You suck SCE&G. WHEW I feel much better getting that out.:)
Tomfoolery

White Rock, SC

#5 Oct 25, 2007
Wonder if the PSC is on the take. SCE&G always ask for twice as much as they will get, so they can reach a happy median.
Oh My

Columbia, SC

#6 Oct 25, 2007
I have never seen a company raise rates and then decrease rates as fast as SCE&G... Every time you turn around they want to raise rates, get the approval and then turn around a couple of months later and decide to lower rates again... All electric companies need to figure it out...

And especially with the "adjusted fuel cost" - does anyone actually pay attention to this line on their bill - if not - you really need to... it varies month to month and can be as low as $3 to as high as $20 a month - this is ridiculous because this fee is supposedly for the "this is what we are charging you to adjust for our fuel cost" - this is BS... they are just monopoly companies - it's not like you can choose your electric company...
ben there

United States

#7 Oct 25, 2007
Fact is, the PSC guarantees a public service (SCE&G) to make a certain amount of profit, therefore the public service (SCE&G) can be as wasteful as they like knowing they will still turn a profit. Everyone else, like you and me, have to adjust our spending to just break even. The agreement for them (SCE&G)to make a guaranteed profit should be abolished. Customers try to conserve energy by spending money to insulate, weatherproof, change to fluorescent lighting, purchasing energy efficient appliances and what do we get? We still pay the same price only use less. SCE&G AND the PSC ought to be ashamed.
Tomfoolery

White Rock, SC

#8 Oct 25, 2007
ben there wrote:
Fact is, the PSC guarantees a public service (SCE&G) to make a certain amount of profit, therefore the public service (SCE&G) can be as wasteful as they like knowing they will still turn a profit. Everyone else, like you and me, have to adjust our spending to just break even. The agreement for them (SCE&G)to make a guaranteed profit should be abolished. Customers try to conserve energy by spending money to insulate, weatherproof, change to fluorescent lighting, purchasing energy efficient appliances and what do we get? We still pay the same price only use less. SCE&G AND the PSC ought to be ashamed.
Yeah, that's what gets me. SCE&G sends out these fliers on how to save energy and then they have four rate increases a year. Don't make a whole lot of sense.
Melissa

West Columbia, SC

#9 Oct 25, 2007
As if my electric bill isn't high enough already.
ford

Gilbert, SC

#10 Oct 25, 2007
well at least they are letting us know now. It isn't as if they are springing this on us in December, after we have already spent all of our money on christmas for the kids. Do you think the kids will like opening their [email protected] refrigerator maganet on christmas morning. Or they may love the new lower fluorescent light bulbs that we have hidden in the closet.
chris

Newberry, SC

#11 Oct 25, 2007
when can the consumer's opinion count?
R D Jenkins

United States

#12 Oct 25, 2007
SCE&G is just full of it !!! Everytime you turn around they are asking for a rate increase, but you can guarantee that they will never ask for a DECREASE !!

“Snowman, you got your ears on?”

"Eastbound & Down"

#13 Oct 25, 2007
Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you need a refund if you are not using ANY power at all while the power is out?
Let me ask, are you also one of the low-income entitlement class that files for a tax credit every year to get a refund of more than you paid in?
It was a joke you DUMB A&&. Oh my God you are a complete Idiot.
taxpayer

Florence, SC

#14 Oct 25, 2007
Why, when they are having huge profits, are we getting stuck with another rate increase? Are the bigwigs not making enough with their 6 & 7 figure pay scales? Rip off time again.
confisus sum

Myrtle Beach, SC

#15 Oct 25, 2007
COMMISSIONERS District Phone
G. O’Neal Hamilton, Chairman 5th District
Charles "Bob" Moseley, Vice Chairman At-Large
John E."Butch" Howard 1st District
David A. Wright 2nd District
Randy Mitchell 3rd District
Elizabeth B. "Lib" Fleming 4th District
Mignon L. Clyburn - 6th District

Do a little background check on these PSC commissioners, and you will find out why SCE&G can do pretty much anything they want to.
DLN

Kernersville, NC

#16 Oct 25, 2007
i hope that was a error and it is not going up over a 100.00
Kil O Watt

Orangeburg, SC

#17 Oct 25, 2007
Hmmmm......Guess the SCE&G Chairman won't get that ENORMOUS bonus he's expecting. Why does the SCE&G chairman get such a HUGE salary package? If he wasn't paid so much, perhaps their rates would be more reasonable.

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

#18 Oct 25, 2007
chris wrote:
when can the consumer's opinion count?
Never.....
KingMixer

Myrtle Beach, SC

#19 Oct 25, 2007
Seems like SCE&G just can't get enough money to put in their pockets. Everytime you turn around, they want more money. If this keeps up, we'll have to go back using candles and things like that, that people did back in the 1860's. Typical South Carolina and Columbia.
Admiral Komack

West Columbia, SC

#20 Oct 25, 2007
bandit_ wrote:
"OK, but if my power goes out and their is no storm then I want a refund.
Why would you need a refund if you are not using ANY power at all while the power is out?"

"Let me ask, are you also one of the low-income entitlement class that files for a tax credit every year to get a refund of more than you paid in?"

-He may be one of the high-income entitlement class; the type that thinks only the "little people" pay taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Violence follows California Trump rally, about ... 14 hr Just Think 1,325
News Power generating station beginning to take shape (Jan '08) 19 hr how they get thei... 121
News Potential SolarCity-Tesla Pairing Should Terrif... Sat Solarman 1
News End of California nuclear era: Last plant to cl... Jun 21 Solarman 1
News Newly found blood vials allow for funeral of 9/... Jun 19 tip of iceberg 1
News Alliant Energy Corporation Unique collaboration... Jun 15 Solarman 1
News California Lawmakers Poised To Make It Illegal ... Jun 10 Into The Night 142
More from around the web