Opponents seek to block Lockport oil pipeline

A Lockport-based environmental group wants to block an oil pipeline bridge that would deliver crude oil from storage tanks at the former Texaco refinery site to nearby barges. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jerry

Lockport, IL

#1 May 23, 2013
Very interesting: the former Texaco Refinery site in Lockport should not be redeveloped with new industry just because these three people don't want it to be redeveloped.
But then, they all claim to be life-long environmentalists, so they must know what they are talking about and everybody else should just believe whatever they say.
who

United States

#2 May 23, 2013
Jerry wrote:
Very interesting: the former Texaco Refinery site in Lockport should not be redeveloped with new industry just because these three people don't want it to be redeveloped.
But then, they all claim to be life-long environmentalists, so they must know what they are talking about and everybody else should just believe whatever they say.
What three people are you talking about?
Jerry

Lockport, IL

#3 May 23, 2013
The three ladies in the Hearld-News article.
Ellis Wyatt

Aurora, IL

#4 May 23, 2013
Had to be those ladies from C.A.R.E.
they once tried to sue the city of Lockport over the old well behind the old police station even though the well had been sealed and no water could be drawn from the well ever again.

Lockport can benefit from the industry.
it utilizes some of the existing infrastructure.
as for the trucks they complain about,
the truck that deliver to Starbucks, Walmart and the rest of the stores use the very same diesel fuel.
more restaurants and retail would also cause more truck traffic but somehow in their eyes that is not a problem as long as the trucks are delivering things they want. But if it oil or oil products they don't want them around here.

the best thing they can do is move out of town
the land was a refinery long before they were here
if they have a problem with it, leave.

oil is not evil, our life style and standard of living would be impossible without oil.

I welcome having the business here in Lockport.
liberal slayer

Joliet, IL

#5 May 23, 2013
Get a life ladies. There is no man made global warming.The oil wont spill out of the pipes and destroy your rat dick town. Have a cup of joe and turn your energy into something useful.Maybe figure out why the president is destroying this great country.Liberalism is a mental disorder.stop being liberal.wake up.
Porter Place

Lockport, IL

#6 May 23, 2013
The plan that was approved by the city council last March called for a facility that receives crude oil by pipe line, stores it in new storage tanks, and then ships it out on barges. Diesel trucks and trains aren't even included this proposal, but the CARE bunch is still griping about diesel fuel fumes, but don't try to confuse them with the facts.
Is that all that there is

Lockport, IL

#7 May 23, 2013
Porter Place wrote:
The plan that was approved by the city council last March called for a facility that receives crude oil by pipe line, stores it in new storage tanks, and then ships it out on barges. Diesel trucks and trains aren't even included this proposal, but the CARE bunch is still griping about diesel fuel fumes, but don't try to confuse them with the facts.
The one on the right needs to comb her hair!
my two cents

Chicago, IL

#8 May 24, 2013
If you don't like indusrty don't buy a house near then complain about it,
they ( C.A.R.E.)were also complaining about the Com Ed Plant in Romeoville. that plant was built in 1955
why did you buy a house near it then complain?
I bet the C.A.R.E.members use electricity in their homes.
Barry Goldwater

Lockport, IL

#9 May 24, 2013
The issue itself is less interesting to me than the change in position by our Mayor, Former majority leader and others on the council. They have all reversed roles in support or non support of this project. I am hoping the new Mayor has finally settled on his original position before the election. This project is unneeded and brings little revenue to our fine little hamlet. Lockport should have learned years ago when big oil ran away and ruined what little economic base Lockport had. All they left was a wasteland that can't be used for another hundred years. Can we please use some common sense. EPA arguments aside, this projects brings nothing fiscally.
Lockport

United States

#10 May 24, 2013
Barry Goldwater wrote:
The issue itself is less interesting to me than the change in position by our Mayor, Former majority leader and others on the council. They have all reversed roles in support or non support of this project. I am hoping the new Mayor has finally settled on his original position before the election. This project is unneeded and brings little revenue to our fine little hamlet. Lockport should have learned years ago when big oil ran away and ruined what little economic base Lockport had. All they left was a wasteland that can't be used for another hundred years. Can we please use some common sense. EPA arguments aside, this projects brings nothing fiscally.
Actually, doing nothing brings nothing fiscally. This brings in about 120k a year. Not a lot but it doesn't require any service from the city that I can tell.
Otto

Lombard, IL

#11 May 24, 2013
Porter Place wrote:
The plan that was approved by the city council last March called for a facility that receives crude oil by pipe line, stores it in new storage tanks, and then ships it out on barges. Diesel trucks and trains aren't even included this proposal, but the CARE bunch is still griping about diesel fuel fumes, but don't try to confuse them with the facts.
Funny, nearly all school buses use diesel engines, Why are they not trying to get those off the roads?
Lockport Local

Lockport, IL

#12 May 24, 2013
my two cents wrote:
If you don't like indusrty don't buy a house near then complain about it,
they ( C.A.R.E.)were also complaining about the Com Ed Plant in Romeoville. that plant was built in 1955
why did you buy a house near it then complain?
I bet the C.A.R.E.members use electricity in their homes.
They also heat their homes with some form of fuel. More than likely they get from point A to point B in some sort of mechanical conveyance which runs on gas or diesel fuel. These people have been supporters of Move-on (George Soros)supported. 4th Ward Mary is "in love" with this bunch. She probably could stand to walk more rather than burn all that fossil fuel. She is a perfect fit for both C.A.R.E. and MoveOn.Org .
Porter Place

Lockport, IL

#13 May 24, 2013
Otto wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, nearly all school buses use diesel engines, Why are they not trying to get those off the roads?
These ladies aren't really genuine environmentalists that actually care about the air or the water, they are just obstructionists that are trying to block any type of development on the former Texaco site. The environment is just the excuse that they keep on trotting out for the media.
Otto

Lombard, IL

#14 May 24, 2013
Crackpots Are Resisting Everything.
Lockport

Homer Glen, IL

#15 May 24, 2013
if this project was going to happen @ division and cedar would it happen? how bout the middle of regency point? midle of kelvin grove? east street in lockport? the little bit of tax dollars off this, is it worth the risk?
Ellis Wyatt

Lombard, IL

#16 May 24, 2013
the canal is not near any of those locations,
the rail lines are not near there either.
the land was once a refinery, there are and have been storage tanks there along with some pipe lines.

It would be a whole different issue if some one tried to build an industrial plant in an established residential area. but the oil depot is in an established industrial area that people later chose to build homes near.
Porter Place

Lockport, IL

#17 May 24, 2013
Lockport wrote:
if this project was going to happen @ division and cedar would it happen? how bout the middle of regency point? midle of kelvin grove? east street in lockport? the little bit of tax dollars off this, is it worth the risk?
Those areas are all zoned for residential only, and cannot be used for manufacturing or heavy industry. The Texaco property is zoned for manufacturing and heavy industry, and is well suited for this oil depot facility. There will be considerable tax dollars coming from this development and virtually no risk to anybody. It's a win-win for everybody but the CARE bunch.
History

Carol Stream, IL

#18 May 25, 2013
Anyone remember the letter to the editor that CARE wrote that they took a poll of the Lockport residents and their results were people wanted "Trendy shops and Cafes" build on the former Texaco site.

I don't know anyone in town that was asked about it.
I think they asked each other and some imaginary friends.
Ellis Wyatt

Wheaton, IL

#19 May 26, 2013
C.A.R.E. has spoke of the evils of having the oil depot in town. Is oil really that Evil?
lets look at oil, Oil is much more than gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, so many products are made from oil that greatly improve our lives. materials like caulk and insulation that make our homes more energy efficient. some components of oil are use to make medicines. Aspirin is one example. Plastics made from oil are use in medical devices like artificial limbs and heart valves. disposable syringes help prevent the spread of communicable diseases.
The list could go on and on. Everything has a risk and benefit. the benefits of oil far outweigh the risks. modern technology keeps reducing those risks.

Now lets take a look at countries that don't have a good energy supply. in these countries people need to cook and usually need to keep warm at times. in these places the landscape generally gets De-forested by people cutting trees and large shrubs for fire wood. How is this good for the environment? In places like Bangladesh there have been mudslides that have buried entire villages because all the trees holding the soil on the hill sides had been harvested for fire wood and building material.

kerosene from oil replaced whale oil for lighting before the invention of electrical lighting. if not for oil ( kerosene ) whales would likely have been hunted to extinction.

Wind turbines and electric cars could not be built or maintained without oil and oil bases products.

We do need to use our natural resources like oil wisely.

The time is now and Lockport is the place for it.



Ellis Wyatt

Wheaton, IL

#20 May 26, 2013
I could also add, Plastic food packaging has made our food supply safer, Plastic jars and bottles are lighter and save energy to transport. Plastic bottles and jars don't shatter like glass reducing cuts from broken glass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unions make push to recruit protected immigrants Dec 24 Hooogle It 3
New leadership, constitution for Nuestra Familia (Feb '08) Dec 23 CaliRaised 29
APS will move ahead with free solar Dec 20 Solarman 1
Ex-Enron CEO gets 10 years cut from sentence (Jun '13) Dec 16 swedenforever 6
Abandoned Chevron gas project deals blow to Ukr... Dec 16 government of Ukr... 1
Natural Gas Futures Rebound From Six-Week Low o... Dec 14 One way or another 3
PNM defends 10.8% rate hike (Apr '11) Dec 14 Ralph 117
More from around the web