New Romney Video: In 1985, He Said Ba...

New Romney Video: In 1985, He Said Bain Would "Harvest" Companies for Profits

There are 68 comments on the www.motherjones.com story from Sep 27, 2012, titled New Romney Video: In 1985, He Said Bain Would "Harvest" Companies for Profits. In it, www.motherjones.com reports that:

This clip shows the young CEO focusing on businesses as targets for his investors, not as job creators or community stakeholders.

(requested by Mothra)

Romney's top priority wasn't to boost employment. As the Wall Street Journal recently noted, creating jobs "wasn't the aim of Bain or other private-equity firms, which measure success by returns produced for investors." And, the newspaper reported, Romney's 100,000-jobs claim is tough to evaluate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.motherjones.com.

ROMNEYCARE IS BETTER

Denver, CO

#42 Sep 27, 2012
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>Ha ha ha. After the parasites like Bain got their hands on a company, they sucked it dry for themselves. Nobody else but themselves. And when a company couldn't sustain itself under the great debt the "Bains of the world" saddled it with, it collapsed. No more company. No more jobs. But bulging pockets for the likes of Romney. The American worker be damned.
If you're so wonderful yourself, why don't you just give up all your money to the poor in Africa too?

You're another Barack and Michelle, preaching to others while holding yourself as an exception. You don't care about others just like they don't care either. Barack served as attorney to a slum land lord kicking tenants out to the cold without notice and Moocherville kicked the sick and poor out of her hospital. And they claim to represent the poor??? Wolves in sheep's clothing masquerading as one of the poor.

What you ARE, is JEALOUS OF OTHER PEOPLE, a highly undesirable quality. You are NOT GOING TO DRAG THIS COUNTRY DOWN.
imaginaryfriend

Sterling Heights, MI

#43 Sep 27, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>You don't really remember the 70's economically, do you? did you just decide to make that up?
Just compare middle class wages then and now. Kids could get a good paying job in American factories right out of High School, if they were not college bound. Compare the cost of college then and now. The reality of upward mobility was there then, and middle class wages have stagnated since the 80s. Economic facts rely on numbers easily illustrated on graphs.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#44 Sep 27, 2012
Mr. Bill is a bore.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#46 Sep 27, 2012
imaginaryfriend wrote:
<quoted text> Just compare middle class wages then and now. Kids could get a good paying job in American factories right out of High School, if they were not college bound. Compare the cost of college then and now. The reality of upward mobility was there then, and middle class wages have stagnated since the 80s. Economic facts rely on numbers easily illustrated on graphs.
the people in the 70's said those same things. Remember the rampant inflation and the unemployment?
Les Claypool

Rowlett, TX

#47 Sep 28, 2012
So in 1985 Romney was a young man working for a living and starting a family. While Obama was hanging out on campus smoking them tweeds and snorting that coke crying about life not being fair.
Justin

Richmond, VA

#48 Sep 28, 2012
When a private equity firm comes knocking on the door offering to buy out a company, it's already on the brink of bankruptcy to begin with. It's better for half the employees to keep their jobs under new management than for all of them to loose their jobs.
Valerie Jarrett runs WH

Anonymous Proxy

#51 Sep 28, 2012
Les Claypool wrote:
So in 1985 Romney was a young man working for a living and starting a family. While Obama was hanging out on campus smoking them tweeds and snorting that coke crying about life not being fair.
Ryan at 16 took on 2 jobs to help his mother take care of his elderly grandmother who had an illness.

Barack, not so much with his own grandmother who was 82 suffering from cancer and advanced arthritis, at age 48.

Democrats want others to pay health care needs for their own family so they can wipe their hands free of the responsibility. RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN IS ALWAYS SOME ONE ELSE'S PROBLEM.

47% of them in the country. Rich and poor Democrats alike. The same philosophy. Let someone ELSE worry about our problems.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#52 Sep 28, 2012
Yes. Romney is the guy in the suit who walks into your plant, and orders your boss to lay off 300 woekers, and offers him a $500. bonus for each one he can get to quit.

Quite a friend; Like having a pocket full of bees.
Barbara

Amesbury, MA

#53 Sep 28, 2012
ROMNEYCARE IS BETTER wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're so wonderful yourself, why don't you just give up all your money to the poor in Africa too?
You're another Barack and Michelle, preaching to others while holding yourself as an exception. You don't care about others just like they don't care either. Barack served as attorney to a slum land lord kicking tenants out to the cold without notice and Moocherville kicked the sick and poor out of her hospital. And they claim to represent the poor??? Wolves in sheep's clothing masquerading as one of the poor.
What you ARE, is JEALOUS OF OTHER PEOPLE, a highly undesirable quality. You are NOT GOING TO DRAG THIS COUNTRY DOWN.
Ha ha ha. So, what you mean is that you can't refute what I said about Romney, so you attack me. LOL
Barbara

Amesbury, MA

#54 Sep 28, 2012
Valerie Jarrett runs WH wrote:
<quoted text>
Ryan at 16 took on 2 jobs to help his mother take care of his elderly grandmother who had an illness.
Barack, not so much with his own grandmother who was 82 suffering from cancer and advanced arthritis, at age 48.
Democrats want others to pay health care needs for their own family so they can wipe their hands free of the responsibility. RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN IS ALWAYS SOME ONE ELSE'S PROBLEM.
47% of them in the country. Rich and poor Democrats alike. The same philosophy. Let someone ELSE worry about our problems.
And Ryan banked his social security check to pay for college when his father died. Why is he so quick to deny other Americans the same opportunity that he had?
Barbara

Amesbury, MA

#55 Sep 28, 2012
Justin wrote:
When a private equity firm comes knocking on the door offering to buy out a company, it's already on the brink of bankruptcy to begin with. It's better for half the employees to keep their jobs under new management than for all of them to loose their jobs.
Here's what I read on another site. Notice the sources. Can you refute it?

Here is all I need to know and it comes from Republicans:
GINRICH: "The Bain model is to go in at a very low price, borrow an immense amount of money, pay Bain an immense amount of money and leave. Iíll let you decide if thatís really good capitalism. I think thatís exploitation."

PERRY:ďThere is something inherently wrong when getting rich off failure and sticking it to someone else is how you do your business, and I happen to think thatís indefensibleĒ

GINGRICH: "A story of greed, playing the system for a quick buck. A group of corporate raiders led by Mitt Romney, more ruthless than Wall Street. For tens of thousands of Americans, the suffering began when Mitt Romney came to town."

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#56 Sep 28, 2012
Valerie Jarrett runs WH wrote:
<quoted text>
Ryan at 16 took on 2 jobs to help his mother take care of his elderly grandmother who had an illness.
Barack, not so much with his own grandmother who was 82 suffering from cancer and advanced arthritis, at age 48.
Democrats want others to pay health care needs for their own family so they can wipe their hands free of the responsibility. RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN IS ALWAYS SOME ONE ELSE'S PROBLEM.
47% of them in the country. Rich and poor Democrats alike. The same philosophy. Let someone ELSE worry about our problems.
the 47% are just democrats? Wow! you really need to get out more...
Barbara

Amesbury, MA

#57 Sep 28, 2012
Les Claypool wrote:
So in 1985 Romney was a young man working for a living and starting a family. While Obama was hanging out on campus smoking them tweeds and snorting that coke crying about life not being fair.
Duh!!! Romney was 35. President Obama was 24. President Obama had just graduated from Columbia 2 years before. You are so funny!!!
conservative crapola

Bethlehem, PA

#58 Sep 28, 2012
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>Here's what I read on another site. Notice the sources. Can you refute it?
Here is all I need to know and it comes from Republicans:
GINRICH: "The Bain model is to go in at a very low price, borrow an immense amount of money, pay Bain an immense amount of money and leave. Iíll let you decide if thatís really good capitalism. I think thatís exploitation."
PERRY:ďThere is something inherently wrong when getting rich off failure and sticking it to someone else is how you do your business, and I happen to think thatís indefensibleĒ
GINGRICH: "A story of greed, playing the system for a quick buck. A group of corporate raiders led by Mitt Romney, more ruthless than Wall Street. For tens of thousands of Americans, the suffering began when Mitt Romney came to town."
rugby can't hide from his past. It's all on paper & video.
Barbara

Amesbury, MA

#59 Sep 28, 2012
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
rugby can't hide from his past. It's all on paper & video.
Very true!!!
Justin

Richmond, VA

#60 Sep 28, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
Yes. Romney is the guy in the suit who walks into your plant, and orders your boss to lay off 300 woekers, and offers him a $500. bonus for each one he can get to quit.
Quite a friend; Like having a pocket full of bees.
You make Romney sound like an IRS agent or a Fannie Mae lender.

Well, the good news for some of you guys is that these private equity firms are themselves running out of cash and falling on hard times, so you all can rest easy knowing they probably won't come knocking when your own employer falls on hard times.
I think most blue colar workers are clueless about the financial state of the companies they work for. From their perspective, everything was perfectly fine until the day some guy in a suit showed up and spoke with the owner in his corner office with glass walls.
Investment bankers don't kill companies, they just shovel the corpse to the side the road to get it out of the way. And, yes, if the corpse if wearing a nice Rolex watch, they'll take that as compensation for their trouble.
It's just life. Move on.
E Pluribus Unum

Carol Stream, IL

#61 Sep 28, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
Yes. Romney is the guy in the suit who walks into your plant, and orders your boss to lay off 300 woekers, and offers him a $500. bonus for each one he can get to quit.
Quite a friend; Like having a pocket full of bees.
Dr. Bill if Romnney win just liked Push Office Depot wil sent the check 500 to resident if Obama win again he wil bee on vacation 4yr!!! and who wil U vote in Nov;)

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#62 Sep 29, 2012
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>And Ryan banked his social security check to pay for college when his father died. Why is he so quick to deny other Americans the same opportunity that he had?
Repub hypocrisy. It's in the DNA of all the teabag frightwingers.
Valerie Jarrett runs WH

Anonymous Proxy

#63 Sep 29, 2012
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>And Ryan banked his social security check to pay for college when his father died. Why is he so quick to deny other Americans the same opportunity that he had?
Do we have to explain everything to you?

Why in hell would he deny someone what he had? Right, Moochelle and her kids can have pizza at lunch but not public school children. That's how you Democrats operate. You don't get that someone can actually be fair.

Ryan IS NOT FORBIDDING SOCIAL SECURITY TO AMERICANS. Jesus. He is offering choices to opt in or out, you floozy!

Nevermind, you're an OBOT.
Valerie Jarrett runs WH

Anonymous Proxy

#64 Sep 29, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the 47% are just democrats? Wow! you really need to get out more...
You are ignorant, aren't you?

What % of Republicans voted for Barack in 2008?

35%, 25%? 15%?

The answer is only 9%. That was in 2008. Today they will not be voting for Barack. They gave him the chance and trust he campaigned for. He ABUSED it, skipped economic briefings, blamed his predecessor, worked harder at playing golf and brewing beer in the WH.

Majority of the 47% who are not voting are Democrats.

Thanks for playing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emerging Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Look Who Got Busted: How To Remove Your Mug Sho... (May '11) Jun 7 trio 152
News 8 Diy Seo Tips to Optimize Your Mobile Marketing Jun 7 jojay 1
News The AI fight is escalating: This is the IT gian... May 28 Julzee111 1
News The FCC Gets Set to Free Wireless May '17 ACopple 1
News Federal appeals court upholds Google trademark May '17 CodeTalker 1
News Where to buy dichloroacetate... (Jul '07) May '17 Judydowellb 51
News This nugget-loving kid just beat Ellen DeGenere... May '17 Fundiementally ill 1
More from around the web