After 56 years, Photocircuits closing down

There are 17 comments on the Feb 28, 2007, Newsday story titled After 56 years, Photocircuits closing down. In it, Newsday reports that:

Photocircuits Corp., the 56-year-old Glen Cove circuit-board maker that defied conventional logic by maintaining high-tech manufacturing operations on Long Island, Wednesday succumbed to competitive realities, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Short Circuited

Brooklyn, NY

#122 Nov 29, 2010
Giovanni: Sorry to inform you that your 1983 shares are now collectors' items but you can't collect any lira on them. Best you tell your friends what a nice company this was to work for just outside the Orchard part of the City of Glen Cove. Talk about the good times you had here.
How come you didn't hear about Photocircuits closing back in 2007?
Mike

Hornell, NY

#123 Dec 14, 2010
Along the lines of "off shore", I am still appalled that any member of the US congress actually voted to allow tax "incentives" for US companies who buy off shore. As far as I'm concerned those idiots should not only be removed from office but possibly even tried for "treason".
Why not give tax "incentives" to American companies who buy "American" and thus same jobs here and even create more??? It's way past time to totally dump Congress and start all over instead of electing lawyers, electing hard working people here. I am now retired from the US printed circuit board industry after putting over 30 years into it. Unfortunately, like many of you, I watched the demise of it as time went by but our industry hasn't been the only one to suffer thanks to our do-nothing government.
Mike

Hornell, NY

#124 Jan 4, 2011
I find it VERY interesting that my comments posted in December are judge as "spam". Must have been someone in congress that did that knowing they didn't do their job and are the cause of all of this.
SAM EAPEN

Stockbridge, GA

#125 Jun 5, 2011
I Started my career as a maintenance Technician in 1998 With Photocircuit corporation. This is the company which turned me in to a Process Engineer through their 'continuing education program' for employees.
After I left Photocircuits Corporation in 2002, I always remember those fun filled work days, a team of worked, lived as a family. It was hard to accept the fact that it closing its doors after 56 years of its service!
Robert

Houston, TX

#126 Jul 13, 2011
it is very sad to hear about PC. i worked there from 1997 and 2000, first at the printers, then went to work with maintenance, John, Willie and Ritchie. I enjoyed the days at PC, i had no family in NEW YORK and these guys helped me learn many things.
peryong

Calamba, Philippines

#129 Jul 19, 2011
Jay wrote:
There were employees that decided to stay with no hopes of getting a raise, poor benefits and yet they stayed to be loyal to a company that never knew the meaning of that word "LOYALTY".......If you all are wondering whether I worked there or not, OF COURSE I DID, I know what went down on all those corporate meetings in the late 90's......Photocircuits is dead not because of now, that company has been dead since they starting building in the phillipines.
Pity you jay, why of all the time you have in the world, why now? you air these grievances, because you have somewhat reservations. what if the philippines project will prosper, then you don't want to get into that situation, right?
peryong

Calamba, Philippines

#130 Jul 19, 2011
i also worked in Glen Cove facility sometime in 2001 and i don't see or hear people saying bad things to the company. what i saw are happy employees performing their duties with dedication.
i just hope that you will cherish the memories (either good or not so good)and hope that someday i can find another place to work in. instead of blaming people why not accept the reality that no one in this world will last forever, that changes is the only thing permanent to happen.
Glen Cove 1997

Englishtown, NJ

#131 Jul 19, 2011
Great people sold out by a bad senior management.
Power Line

Glen Head, NY

#132 Jul 19, 2011
Glen Cove 1997 wrote:
Great people sold out by a bad senior management.
Wait a minute, the Powers family tried hard to keep the place afloat. Forget that one of the sons led a full life of freedom and was not married to work like a lot of other people. "Senior Management" is always blamed for the downfall of a company. Perhaps it was not so exact in this case. Let's give Photocircuits owners the benefit of your doubt.
Still there

Bronx, NY

#133 Oct 13, 2011
Can't believe how good PC was (the workers)
Walter from wantagh

Lancaster, PA

#134 Dec 24, 2011
I worked in security for three years. Found management to be very sincere with their employees and the City of Glen Cove. Also the employees were dedicated to performing a good job. They worked overtime when needed and most enjoyed each otheres company. With almost 2,000 workers very few problems. What is really needed is the political people to realize that they cannot keep raising taxes on workers and business until the straw breaks the camels back. Look at Gruman, Republic, Roosevelt Raceway and many smaller employers. Nothing but nice thoughts about PC and good luck to all those dedicated people who lost a job.
Roger Singh

Jamaica, NY

#136 Jan 29, 2012
What bob doing now

“Neutering sexual intellectuals”

Since: Dec 11

Center Ossipee, NH

#137 Aug 22, 2012
BobC wrote:
Americans better start yelling, in loud numbers, that we are fed up with this. You can fight back, quit buying foreign made anything!
If you don't actually need something, don't buy it!
If I see an article of clothing I like, and it's made in China, I won't buy it...it is hard to find anything made here now...unfortunately some large ticket items are only made there and our money is going to beef up China's armies!
I remember reading some companies in England, outsourced their call centers to India. The Brits raised Hell and now they are bringing the jobs back.
If Americans banded together, we could send a strong message!
if you google american made you can find almost anything you want
charan

Baltimore, MD

#138 Aug 29, 2012
I left photocircuit before closing happen..I am posting today because I hope I can connect with
some of the folks I work with in the fixture department...I will check this posting often
to see if anyone connects. sorry to see so many lost there jobs!!
Jay

Duluth, GA

#139 Nov 2, 2012
Jay wrote:

There were employees that decided to stay with no hopes of getting a raise, poor benefits and yet they stayed to be loyal to a company that never knew the meaning of that word "LOYALTY".......If you all are wondering whether I worked there or not, OF COURSE I DID, I know what went down on all those corporate meetings in the late 90's......Photocircuits is dead not because of now, that company has been dead since they starting building in the phillipines.
Pity you jay, why of all the time you have in the world, why now? you air these grievances, because you have somewhat reservations. what if the philippines project will prosper, then you don't want to get into that situation, right?...... I was talking about the concept of building from the ground up you idiot, my remark had nothing to do with the people of the phillipines....Next time try to comphrend what you are reading !!
Bill

Matawan, NJ

#140 Jul 25, 2013
I worked at PC in 1989-1990 at special projects and it was a mess then. The automotive ckt. bds. were manufactured for Ford and Ford had a lot of fires. As it finally came out not one ckt. bd. was tested for shorts or other quality issues. We lost the contract.

You talk about buying Chinese made supplies but I was there when the new ckt. bd. solder dip equipment was installed. It was all Chinese. I had lunch with the Chinese technicians who weren't allowed to speak with me without a supervisor and we were limited personal or equipment discussions. We could not speak of anything political.

Of course there was nothing that the Chinese could do to me but the workers were afraid to step out of line and I didn't want to push the issue so as to causes them any problems. At one point the supervisor stepped away for a brief moment and the technicians told me that the TV programs at the motel were monitored by the supervisor and they could only watch certain programs.

I didn't know that PC was still in operation until 2007 until I read it here but I did know that Kollmorgen took it over.

I left NY many years ago so there is much I didn't know.
Last worker in Glen Cove

Brooklyn, NY

#143 Apr 1, 2014
I started in 1987 and was the last worker in the waste treatment plant, my last day there was in june 2006, I loved working at Photocircuits and still think off that place almost every day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Electronics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oklahoma's Earthquakes Are Becoming Too Frequen... 17 hr Cordwainer Trout 4
Are Filipinos people nasty and vindictive? (Jul '12) Apr 9 mipsey12 31
The Waterproof Watch Spy Camera In Depth Review... Apr 1 NewYorkView 1
News Southside Chiques injunction upheld (Jul '08) Mar 31 danger 60
The Sony Cybershot DSC-S750 Digital Camera Revi... Mar '15 NewYorkView 1
News 3D Systems: Weighing The Bankruptcy Risk Mar '15 gusya 1
The Logitech Audio Station Express For Apple iP... Mar '15 NewYorkView 1
More from around the web