How to stop spam cell phone calls

How to stop spam cell phone calls

There are 25 comments on the WSTM-TV Syracuse story from Feb 13, 2008, titled How to stop spam cell phone calls. In it, WSTM-TV Syracuse reports that:

“Do Not Call Registry". Legislation is in its final stages that would make the "Do Not Call Registry”

If you get sales calls and spam messages on your cell phone you are not alone. As more people are using their cell phones as their main phone line, their numbers are becoming more accessible. via WSTM-TV Syracuse

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSTM-TV Syracuse.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jean

United States

#1 Feb 26, 2008
I receive a sales call (3 to 5 times per week) from Cory about debt reduction on my mobile phone. He implies he knows my situation, which is an incorrect guess that i have uncontrolled debt. First of all, trying to scare people. Second, I have hit #1 to speak to someone about stopping the calls and was hung up on.
How can i get the call to sto?. I usually use my cell for limited calls. This is annoying and upsetting that i have no control.
Thanks
Mary

Renton, WA

#2 May 8, 2008
I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the phone number. If they want to talk to be bad enough, they'll leave a message. Recently I've been getting spam calls from other states where they either don't leave any message, or a long, empty one with a child's voice at the end. I save each number in my file and attach a specific spam ring tone to them. That way I know I'll never answer those particular numbers again. Someday the cellphone companies will come up with the technology so we'll be able to block specific numbers.
Shelby

Jonesborough, TN

#3 May 21, 2008
It bothers me that the cell phone companies sell our cell numbers to spammers without our permission. I have started looking at the numbers and if I do not know it, well it is not answered. Even if you sign up for the do not call list, they still call and bother you. Hope the cell companies will correct this problem.
Robert

Saint George, UT

#4 Aug 11, 2008
I get phone calls every 3 days from this number at 645am. I am trying to recover from surgery I had less than 2 weeks ago and am also a college student and sleeping!!!!
seven seven three nine two two five four zero four
That is the number.
eds

Arvin, CA

#5 Aug 18, 2008
I received a call from ALLIED WARRANTIES who called my cell phone about my vehicle warrantly expiring. I asked where they got my number. The answer was the dealership. Well, I do NOT have a car! Not have ever bought one from a dealership.

How can I get this to stop?
the number on the caller id was:
506-226-10695
DJH

Sylmar, CA

#6 Aug 24, 2008
800-628-1680 is another gutless spammer that uses YOUR cell phone time and money. No listing, no one to complain to, and no one in the FCC follows up with complaints. The FCC's "Do Not Call Registry" is bogus and a worthless government waste.
PFD

Homer Glen, IL

#7 Sep 30, 2008
I have received several calls from a 506-227-45305; has anyone noticed that there is an extra number here? I have not and will not answer any of these calls because I do not recognize the number. I filed a complaint with the National Do Not Call Registry and I suggest you all do the same if you have not already done so.

“Slashing through the flames ”

Since: Jun 08

Earth

#8 Oct 6, 2008
My Samsung U600 wont even allow those calls to come through. When I get a call like that the only opinion I have is to reject it.
Darla

AOL

#9 Nov 18, 2008
800-628-1680

This is a Jackass spammer and a scammer. He is a liar.
Kevin

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Feb 26, 2009
You guys are lucky, i get about 20 calls a day. 20CALLS A DAY. What excruciating pain it is.
kim

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Jun 1, 2009
I keep getting calls from drug companies online.....Let me know if anyone else gets them the people sound as if they are from India or something and I live in CA.There are four #'s I get daily I mean these guys call me a few times a day each and I have a new baby I am so frustrated almost to the point of changing my phone#.....Does anyone else have any suggestions.....Thanks Kim
damian

Hudson, MA

#12 Aug 4, 2009
these indians are calling me regular,i would write here what i normally say to them but i think it may even be too vulgar for the internet!!
rigo_jones

Denver, CO

#13 Aug 20, 2009
this has got to stop im getting about 17-20 calls a day every 5-10 minutes i ignore them but thye leave a voice mail. damn i got to clear 20 voice mail msgs every day.
jack

Ulverston, UK

#14 Sep 4, 2009
08445731731 keep getting calls from these sons of """"" "" say they are a company called GEMSTONES anyone else?
Ray

Rockville, MD

#16 Oct 29, 2009
I get calls from the indian pharmacy people every day, several times a day. I have tried answering, then hanging up right away; cussing them out; asking that they remove me from their call list; asking to speak to a supervisor, etc. But nothing has worked. They have some sort of software that allows them to disguise their number so that it shows up as whatever they want on your caller ID. I have tried blocking the numbers through verizon wireless (verizon allows you to block 5 numbers), but they just change the number so that it gets through the call blocking.

I've had enough and I am going to change my phone number. I have had this number for ten years. I'm just so frustrated and angry.
ken

Guerneville, CA

#17 Dec 26, 2009
Mary wrote:
I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the phone number. If they want to talk to be bad enough, they'll leave a message. Recently I've been getting spam calls from other states where they either don't leave any message, or a long, empty one with a child's voice at the end. I save each number in my file and attach a specific spam ring tone to them. That way I know I'll never answer those particular numbers again. Someday the cellphone companies will come up with the technology so we'll be able to block specific numbers.
Did you ever find out why? I am getting these "baby in the background" spam calls almost every day and always from a new number. Very irritating--just wondering if anyone knows why anyone would bother to do it?
SmugMug

Sonora, CA

#19 Jan 6, 2010
Most of the calls where they ask your to press "1" are simply out trying to get your credit card number to rip you off. They usually are from foreign countries using internet phones so you can't track them. The do not call registry doesn't affect scammers using internet phones.
Kill The Spammer

Lobelville, TN

#22 Jun 22, 2011
To prevent all spam the spammer's feet and hands are grinded and made into a hamburger and then fed to his entire family, and then let his family take care of his limbless body! Without hands he may never be able to spam again!

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#23 Jul 7, 2011
Hi all,

have you ever experienced this? My phone rang from any unknown number. When i picked of the phone, there was an announcement like " You have been selected for lucky draw and won cash prize of worth 10000 dollars. Please press 9 followed by "*" to claim your prize. I didnt pressed anything and hanged up, after that I have been charged Rs. 45 for that call. I cant see the number. Its probably a hacker's attempt to loot money.

Anybody please help !!!

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#24 Jul 7, 2011
[url=www.facebook.com/RAKESH.4 EVR]Rakesh's Facebook[/a]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Direct Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BENNY SANCHEZ 2016 dec Dec '16 Humble1 2
News Telemarketers could start calling when numbers ... (Sep '07) Dec '16 susieQ 104
If you Bought from LeoDevices.com Comment here. Dec '16 mike650 13
News Direct TV reportedly looking to locate telemark... (Apr '08) Oct '16 Ray rice 3
telemarketing (Mar '15) Mar '15 Felicity 1
Direct Mail marketing (Nov '13) Jan '15 priya prathap 5
Directional Drilling... (Nov '11) Jan '15 Jerry Boggs 2
More from around the web