Hartford Direct Marketing Services Firm Is Closing

Full story: Hartford Courant

Hartford Direct, a Berlin-based marketing services firm with a star-studded client list, is closing - hurt by the loss of its biggest customer, the slowdown in its industry and tight credit in a ravaging ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Apr 24, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bill

United States

#1 Feb 17, 2009
"Junk mail" business goes out of business. Don't like to see jobs lost, but their "product" went straight into the recycling box.
Good Greef

Farmington, CT

#2 Feb 17, 2009
So glad to see the billions given to banks going for business loans. Where is all that money if it's not being loaned?...Never mind!
Simsbury_Grrl

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Feb 17, 2009
While I am sorry to see a business close and have sympathy for the workers impacted, I have to agree with Bill about their "product". I hate all the cr*p mail I receive and will be happy to see a little less of it. I receive 4 free "newspapers" a month that I don't read and that doesn't include the monthly catalogs from Willy-S and Rest Hardware, etc. What a waste of trees and energy!
Grateful for Work

Tempe, AZ

#4 Feb 17, 2009
Wow, hurtful comments from people who have obviously not walked in the shoes of these employees now without jobs. Don't want unnecessary mail - contact the people directly who are sending it to you - don't fault the places where they supply jobs and income for people in a struggling world. Walk a mile in their unemployed shoes, then place your unnecessary and unkind comments.
Mike Litorus

West Hartford, CT

#5 Feb 17, 2009
Wonder who the "big" client was that they lost?
hentypark

Tempe, AZ

#6 Feb 17, 2009
Smiling Bob, of course.
life sucks

Avon, CT

#7 Feb 17, 2009
We have to face the fact that the times are changing - direct mail is giving way to email marketing - along with a boat load of other changes that will create layoffs and loss of jobs.
It does suck - and I hope those employees find work.
BUY AMERICAN - and boycott WALMART -
Ben D

Columbia, MD

#8 Feb 17, 2009
Oh man...., whether you like 'direct mail' advertising or not, this creates emotion in me. ADVO, as it was known at the time, gave me my first job after I came back from Vietnam.
Frances Bean Cobain

Boston, MA

#9 Feb 17, 2009
Their big client was Verizon Wireless. I feel terrible for those who work there who have now have to enter an unstable job market. But, as someone who worked there at one point, it was not run well and the employees were treated terribly. The best thing I ever did was leave that place.
Know their pain

Williston, VT

#10 Feb 17, 2009
Good luck to all the laid off staffers as they look for new jobs.
us web

Bronx, NY

#11 Feb 17, 2009
Frances Bean Cobain wrote:
Their big client was Verizon Wireless. I feel terrible for those who work there who have now have to enter an unstable job market. But, as someone who worked there at one point, it was not run well and the employees were treated terribly. The best thing I ever did was leave that place.
Wow! Sounds like US Web Inc. Good luck to all.
Addicted to Spending

New Milford, CT

#12 Feb 17, 2009
Any business that is reliant upon advertising will be impacted by the recession/depression. Junk mail is still viable, there are just too many vendors for the shrinking volume. Some will fail.
16 yr employee M Hartman

Ware, MA

#13 Feb 17, 2009
Frances Bean Cobain wrote:
Frances Cobain,how long did you work here and when??????????
I have worked at Hartford Direct for 16 years. This person never worked at this facility as far as I know. What is she talking about. Hartford Direct
was reputable and a respected company in the industry. An accredited member of the Mailing Fulfullment Service Association. The President of Hartford Direct also sits on the national board of this organization.
This company was in business for twenty years and had employees who worked here since day one until the end. Apparently this person has a vindictive attitude and a personal agenda. I am proud to have worked for this company and so are all the people who have worked alongside of me. This was a terrible tragedy that was caused by greedy banks and real estate investors who refused to help a viable company for so few funds that were needed to continue to employ hundreds of people.
Unemployment benefits, state assistance, lost tax revenue will far outway the amount this company wanted to borrow and repay in the future. Where is all that taxpayer bail out money to continue to employ hard working people.
Good luck to all the Hartford Direct employees.
Toby

West Yarmouth, MA

#14 Feb 17, 2009
Direct mail marketing was one of several services Hartford Direct provided for small, mid-size & large companies,(mostly mid-size & small businesses. They helped companies over the years boost their sales, create more jobs & also helped these companies create millions in revenues. I think they have done more than their share for Americans. It is a sad day for all Americans to see any small business fail and people lose jobs.
Toby

West Yarmouth, MA

#15 Feb 17, 2009
P.S. Frances Cobain, if they don't remember you, you were probably fired -- or at best, left no impact.
Wishing all the Best

Bridgeport, CT

#16 Feb 17, 2009
It is very sad to here about the closing of Hartford Direct. In being a past employee for many years for this company I have nothing but the utmost respect for two of the finest businessmen I have ever known in this industry. This was a wonderful place of employment in all the time that I had spent there. I wish nothing but the best for all the employees in hopes they do find employment.
Old employee

Bridgeport, CT

#17 Feb 17, 2009
I was one of the very first employees for Hartford Mailers (Direct). I was with the company for 10 years and was given every opportunity for growth and advancement and as far as I'm concerned I learned what I know today in this industry from the "best" there is. As for Frances Cobain whoever you are, your issues there must have been based around your lack of work ethic and they were better off without you. My prayers are with all who are searching for employment. To Frances & Earl my heart is with you and thank you for everything you have taught me and all the opportunity's you gave me. They will never be forgotten.
Harry Viens

Manchester, NH

#18 Feb 18, 2009
Hartford Direct was a good company and they did a great job for their clients. This is a terrible tragedy for everyone who worked to make the company grow. It's also a sad commentary on how banks treat customers these days, and the ineffective response of government to a business in crisis.(I'll bet the CT govt never missed out on collecting taxes from Hartford Direct!) As for the people who hate junk mail, show a little personal initiative and put your name on the "do not mail" opt-out list. It's easy, as opposed to building a business for 20 years.
S Stanton Fremont CA

Fremont, CA

#20 Feb 19, 2009
Hartford Direct was the American dream; built with tremendous commitment; and "blood, sweat and tears"; to quote a phrase. Too many American Dreams are going down the toilet; because of the greed, and poor management of our government leaders and the leaders of the banking industry. I know my brother Francis; and brother-in-law Earl; to be caring hardworking guys. I Love them both and wish them all the best.
P Seavey Somers CT

Somers, CT

#21 Feb 19, 2009
I worked for Hartford Direct when they were still in a very small building and calling themselves Hartford Mailers. I also know the owners personally and what they started Hartford Direct with.
Every company has their past disgruntled employees, that is not the point here. As a matter of fact, neither is the owners personal lives.(And, by the way, Bronx, if you don't have the facts you should not speak ill of others.)
Hartford Direct is and was a very good company. The owners were very hard working and dedicated in making a dream of theirs become a reality. These two men also had a lot of employees and family members that stood by them and supported them throughout the last twenty years.
I wish all of the employees from Hartford Direct the best in these very tough economic times and hope they will find work in the very near future.
As for the owners and their families, I know that this is not any easy time to watch a dream end, but I know that you are all smart, strong, determined, hard-working...and with every ending comes new beginnings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Direct Mail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US Web Inc (Oct '08) Aug 6 Joe 491
Direct mail service May '14 Daniel Reed 1
Direct marketing ain't what it used to be-it's ... (Jan '08) Jan '14 Mathew Frost 3
USPS Corrected Bad Address is Identical to Orig... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bill H 1
Medical Marketing Service Inc. Conducts their A... (May '13) Nov '13 physician123 3
Direct Mail Marketing (Oct '13) Oct '13 danielw03 1
postal software for videojet (Sep '13) Sep '13 DMM 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Direct Mail People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••