Syosset dentist admits insurance frau...

Syosset dentist admits insurance fraud scheme

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 10, 2009, titled Syosset dentist admits insurance fraud scheme. In it, Newsday reports that:

A Syosset dentist pleaded guilty in federal court in Brooklyn Wednesday to insurance fraud and identity theft in a scheme to scam money from the dental plan that covers Port Authority police officers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vhat

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#2 Jun 10, 2009
Vhat are you? An anti-semite? Vhat makes you tink joos are thieves?
www.truthtellers.org
J ketch

AOL

#4 Jun 11, 2009
lol...you REAP WHAT YOU SOW!
Round - Em Up

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jun 11, 2009
Another one bits the dust!!! These effing dentists and doctors who are ripping off the system should all be hung out to dry! Make them pay it all back!! Theyare the ones driving up the premiums by this GREED mentality!! bastards all of them!
Goober

Newark, NJ

#6 Jun 11, 2009
I have seen LI doctors exposed in many such scams in the last 14 years.

One had a bare office containing nothing but three secretaries typing bills for computer generated "reports". No medical equipment and he was never there.

Another sold out to the Russian mafia. They borrowed his signature and paid him a share for unnecessary ambulette services. He did time in federal prison after that.

You still want to go to med school?
Karma in Long Beach

Tarrytown, NY

#8 Jun 12, 2009
This is my ex dentist. He wrecked a rear molar causing me to lose the tooth, insulted me and would not return any money prepaid. Now he's going to jail. Boo effing hoo Cohan. You have gotten what you deserve you greedy, arrogant, unethical, bastard.
BUT

Weehawken, NJ

#9 Jun 12, 2009
What about those 30 cops? They should have known something was going on!!!!
Dunkleman

Greenwich, CT

#10 Jun 12, 2009
Here is a story I had saved on my computer from years ago. The link is no longer valid, and I am not sure how case turned out...but it shows that trouble finds this dude...

http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-licrim034368...

Briefs

Email this story

Printer friendly format

Jennifer Maloney; Michael Frazier

August 3, 2005

DENTIST CHARGED IN SEX ABUSE. Long Beach police have arrested a dentist accused of fondling the breasts of one of his employees at his practice. Orthodontist Barry Cohan, 47, of Oyster Bay Cove was charged Monday with third-degree sexual abuse after he turned himself in to police about 7 p.m. The employee told police Cohan fondled her Friday while the two worked at Dental Health Care at 38 W. Park Ave. in Long Beach, said Lt. Bruce Meyer, a police spokesman. Cohan has been released on a $100 bail, pending his court appearance today in Long Beach City Court. Yesterday, Cohan was back at work and a woman who answered the phone at his office said he was too busy to comment.- Michael Frazier
Ponderous

Oakdale, NY

#11 Jun 12, 2009
Why can't I find a dentist that will give me a flat screen TV for a root canal?
boomerang

Astoria, NY

#14 Jun 16, 2009
this guy botched a procedure on me too that cost me a root canal. Now I'm sueing him for recovery of fees he collected that were in excess of the HMO allowance while he is trying to collect from me what the HMO disallowed from his bogus billings. The judge will not hear my petition for a temp restraining order claiming no juristiction. I guess the judge is one of his favorite patients too. I guess he needs all the dirty money for his legal bills. and the cops get to walk? I just don't get it.
Keeping It Real

Bellmore, NY

#15 Jun 16, 2009
Ponderous wrote:
Why can't I find a dentist that will give me a flat screen TV for a root canal?
Lol tacky but still funny.
TWIN TOWERS

West Palm Beach, FL

#16 Jun 16, 2009
Cohan?

What race/religion/culture is he from?
boomerang

Astoria, NY

#17 Jun 16, 2009
TWIN TOWERS wrote:
Cohan?
What race/religion/culture is he from?
he is a red blooded born and raised american jew. have you noticed there are alot of bad doctors named Barry?
boomerang

Astoria, NY

#18 Jun 16, 2009
check other posts on google, this guy was convicted in 1998 of insurance fraud and walked away with probation. the dental HMO's do not police their list of participating providers. beware before you use any professional's services. just google them and all this stuff will come up if it was a matter of public record. shame on me for not doing that. now i'm one of his many victims. don't let it happen to you!!
Teacher

Bellmore, NY

#19 Jun 16, 2009
boomerang wrote:
check other posts on google, this guy was convicted in 1998 of insurance fraud and walked away with probation. the dental HMO's do not police their list of participating providers. beware before you use any professional's services. just google them and all this stuff will come up if it was a matter of public record. shame on me for not doing that. now i'm one of his many victims. don't let it happen to you!!
Good Advise i will do the same.
Absurd

AOL

#20 Jun 21, 2009
Sounds like he got what he deserved. Was anyone else charged in this scheme?
Balto

Norwalk, CT

#21 Jun 21, 2009
Not for nothing but every Cohan I ever knew was Irish, as in George M. Cohan the showman.

Sorry if I disappointed any anti-semite scum on here.
former patient

Fairfield, CT

#24 Aug 8, 2009
Thank you!!!! I've been looking for this - this guy was a real creep and he is getting what he deserves
Dunkleman wrote:
Here is a story I had saved on my computer from years ago. The link is no longer valid, and I am not sure how case turned out...but it shows that trouble finds this dude...
http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-licrim034368...
Briefs
Email this story
Printer friendly format
Jennifer Maloney; Michael Frazier
August 3, 2005
DENTIST CHARGED IN SEX ABUSE. Long Beach police have arrested a dentist accused of fondling the breasts of one of his employees at his practice. Orthodontist Barry Cohan, 47, of Oyster Bay Cove was charged Monday with third-degree sexual abuse after he turned himself in to police about 7 p.m. The employee told police Cohan fondled her Friday while the two worked at Dental Health Care at 38 W. Park Ave. in Long Beach, said Lt. Bruce Meyer, a police spokesman. Cohan has been released on a $100 bail, pending his court appearance today in Long Beach City Court. Yesterday, Cohan was back at work and a woman who answered the phone at his office said he was too busy to comment.- Michael Frazier
former patient

Fairfield, CT

#25 Aug 8, 2009
I'm in the same boat ... this creep sent me a bil in april 2009 from 2003 stating my insurance company (Met Life) didn't pay didn't pay ... he sent a collection agency after me and I had he pleasure of telling them of his conviction now won't even take my calls - I'm still working with Met Life hopefully I can get him a couple of more years!!!
boomerang wrote:
this guy botched a procedure on me too that cost me a root canal. Now I'm sueing him for recovery of fees he collected that were in excess of the HMO allowance while he is trying to collect from me what the HMO disallowed from his bogus billings. The judge will not hear my petition for a temp restraining order claiming no juristiction. I guess the judge is one of his favorite patients too. I guess he needs all the dirty money for his legal bills. and the cops get to walk? I just don't get it.
Charlene

Brooklyn, NY

#26 Aug 8, 2009
former patient wrote:
I'm in the same boat ... this creep sent me a bil in april 2009 from 2003 stating my insurance company (Met Life) didn't pay didn't pay ... he sent a collection agency after me and I had he pleasure of telling them of his conviction now won't even take my calls - I'm still working with Met Life hopefully I can get him a couple of more years!!!
<quoted text>
Is he a big-nosed J3W ?
Seriously

Springfield, VA

#27 Aug 8, 2009
What do you want to bet, if he has any government loans for dental school, he hasn't paid a dime. You'd be surprised the amount of doctors and dentists who do this. Even ones who have very successful practices and have a hundred thousand dollar loan still hanging years after they have graduated. Does the government go after them? Apparently not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentistry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Palomas dentist still missing (Dec '09) 14 hr Siouxdog 22
News Hoosiers react to child confined in closet, arr... Tue SICKENED 1
Dental office time clock software Oct 9 MJean 1
News Crest Pro-Health Rinse Draws Complaints (May '08) Oct 6 Alina Visan 664
News Bouche Studio permanently closed (Jul '08) Oct 1 Caerleon 272
News How Bad Is Your Breath? 14 Simple Tips For Redu... (Feb '06) Sep 22 Kheona 649
News Dentists might be able to screen for diabetes (Mar '15) Sep 19 laurajkey 6
More from around the web