Opponents rush to judgment on tire-to-energy plant

Full story: GoErie.com

When the factory's boilers started howling on Friday afternoon, the phones in our newsroom started ringing.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
COnfused

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Judged:

Dear confused members of the community,

I am saddened by the amount of garbage being spewed to atmosphere. Not potential pollutants generated by the tires to energy plant - but by opponents of it. Do your homework people - request information from DEP. Do you realize the emissions and pollutants in the air (in terms of SOX and VOC's) is less than 10% of what it was when IP was around. Do you realize with the addition of the tires to energy plant that the total pollutants will only be approx 20% of what it was when IP was around.

I would expect small minded, mob mentality people to understand that nor do I expect them to do any research. Its easier to sit on your ass and bitch.
cleanair

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Read the permit, its on file. Tires were not burned at IP site but maybe Rubino will burn garbage too!!
dennis

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

COnfused wrote:
Dear confused members of the community,
I am saddened by the amount of garbage being spewed to atmosphere. Not potential pollutants generated by the tires to energy plant - but by opponents of it. Do your homework people - request information from DEP. Do you realize the emissions and pollutants in the air (in terms of SOX and VOC's) is less than 10% of what it was when IP was around. Do you realize with the addition of the tires to energy plant that the total pollutants will only be approx 20% of what it was when IP was around.
I would expect small minded, mob mentality people to understand that nor do I expect them to do any research. Its easier to sit on your ass and bitch.
OK teacher here's my "home work"

Erie Renewable Energy LLC's air-quality permit application to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection include:

nitrogen oxides -- 354.12 tons a year;

sulfur dioxide -- 99.25 tons a year;

particulate matter (dioxins and furans) 229.95 tons a year;

volatile organic compounds -- 27.9 tons a year.

What is wrong with "0"..........
Try Again

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Most people, even many from Erie, don't know know about the wonderful little neighborhood just east of Hammermill, north of East Lake Road. We always said it was "between Hammermil and GE".

It's an area of the east side often overlooked, with nice homes, neighbors who watch out for each other, and well kept properties.

No, it's not a large area, but it was a wonderful area to grow up.

Just because sections of the east side (and the west, and other areas) have problems doesn't mean we should label the east side as a sink hole that would be better off gone by covering it with a layer of particulates.

And for those who think this is an east side issue, the lake is north, east and west of the city. This is everyone's concern.
Mark

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Judged:

One thing you can be sure of...if and when it is built..if there are any problems it will take an act of Congress to shut it down...they are not going to willingly quit prodicing pollutants just because EPA tells them to shut down. So the best solution for all who care about the east side is to not let it get built.
cleanair

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Judged:

Mark wrote:
One thing you can be sure of...if and when it is built..if there are any problems it will take an act of Congress to shut it down...they are not going to willingly quit prodicing pollutants just because EPA tells them to shut down. So the best solution for all who care about the east side is to not let it get built.
They expect to only pay a fine or two thats right.A yearly test is not enough to guard against this attitude.
newcomer

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

I moved to Erie two years ago. I cannot believe that the City is even entertaining the thought of this disgusting plant. There are NO PLANTS LIKE THIS ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! This is like living in the twilight zone. Please contact all council members and tell them to say NO.
KJONES

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

I dislike labeling people because it divides them and then both sides forget what team playing is all about but....I would recommend both supporters and opponents reading/viewing this attached website put together by DOW (a trusted name); I have and I don't consider myself an expert. You decide.

http://www.dow.com/facilities/namerica/michig...
cleanair

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Judged:

There is no team playing when making money is the objective at the expense of others. There is no justification for how Rubino has worked this city/friends/polititians for his personal ashtray. The Times which has a job to do-informing and investigating has no such ideal to accomplish. The news media too wants to be "popular". The only check is for people to unite and stand for something-their neighborhoods, their
their children and yes their AIR. There are some "children" like Rubino/McCormick who get what they want when they want it and don't play "nice".
lost in pa

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

cleanair wrote:
Read the permit, its on file. Tires were not burned at IP site but maybe Rubino will burn garbage too!!
The DEP is not an environmental watch dog. They simply set the standard (ha ha) which determines how much pollution a company can spew into the air/water/community.
Curious

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

dennis wrote:
<quoted text>
Erie Renewable Energy LLC's air-quality permit application to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection include:
How can a person get their hands on a copy of this permit aplication?
Bill

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

What's next? I can see it now. Erie Pennsylvania the waste capital of the world. We may as well take the nuclear waste here. There are jobs with it and we need jobs. We won't need street lights the city weill glow in the dark. Think of the savings.
After Thought

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Quote: "The most well-known and well-studied chemical in the dioxin, furan, and dioxin-like PCBs family is 2,3,7,8-TCDD. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have classified 2,3,7,8-TCDD as likely to cause cancer in people."

This quote was taken directly from CDC's Third National Report on Human Exposur to Environmental Chemicals.
After Thought

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

From same CDC report as stated above:

How People Are exposed to Dioxins, Furans and Dioxin-Like PCBs
1. Eating contaminated foods. The main dietary source are dairy products, eggs, meat and fish.

2. Breathing air or drinking water contaminated with these chemicals or coming into contat with contaminated soil.

3. Working in industries that produce certain pesticides containling dioxins, working at paper and pulp mills, or operating incinerators.

This report was published July 2005.

“Love Freedom, Thank a Soldier”

Since: Feb 08

Erie,PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

dennis wrote:
<quoted text>
Dennis,
How much of these "KILLER" toxins are spewed out the tailpipe of the average american car burning one gallon of gasoline? Do some research loser - my toaster oven creates emissions, guess I better get it out of my kitchen before I die of black lung disease. You people crack me up.
Journey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Jobs.....Yeah right...
Journey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

newcomer wrote:
I moved to Erie two years ago. I cannot believe that the City is even entertaining the thought of this disgusting plant. There are NO PLANTS LIKE THIS ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! This is like living in the twilight zone. Please contact all council members and tell them to say NO.
My husband wants me to move there from Fla,hes crazy not with that plant coming.....and its too cold!!!!
edge

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Journey wrote:
<quoted text> My husband wants me to move there from Fla,hes crazy not with that plant coming.....and its too cold!!!!
The tire plant is good for promoting our region.
Besides people love to gamble with their health. Erie will have the worlds largest tire incinerator. Visit Erie and The Chamber should start using that fact to attact tourists and new businesses. Don't worry about it being cold because Rubino promised everyone cheap electricity. You trust him, right?
Deaconb60

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
How can a person get their hands on a copy of this permit aplication?
Go to: www.stopburningtires.com
EV science

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

nitrogen oxides can be harmful, however the N0x that makes it to the high atmospehere actually converts to ozone which is good the planet (prevents greenhouse effect)..

Sulfur dioxide actually causes global cooling. Volcano's spew this every time they erupt. This gas actually reflects solar radiation back to space.

Particulate matter can be harmful to humans no doubt. However the # stated is fairly low. If erie was a slightly larger city the amount of particulate would be greater coming from cars exhaust.

I think we need jobs in Erie and this may be a viable option. It has it's plus and minus's.

Environmentally this plant would not have an substantial impact. It's not like they are burning tires out in a field, they will have systems that will reduce emissions similar to your automobiles catalytic converter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Construction Discussions

Search the Construction Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Obama, Wall Street Agree On Immigration, Says W... Fri Amigo 1
Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. Reports Record Ea... (Nov '06) Thu Fortunate 13
Past problems haunt Centex (Nov '06) Jul 9 Unhappy Home Buyer 124
U.S. Steel departing S&P 500, bumped by Martin ... Jul 5 1005 Proud 1
Walgreens may be next to 'move' overseas Jul 1 Jeff Brightone 1
9 companies gobbling up cash like mad Jun 30 ENRON Zionism 1
Homebuilder Stock Losers: KB, Pulte (Jun '10) Jun 30 PULTE is a RICO 2
•••
•••